Odyssey Tank Cruiser: Official Member Testing and Review Thread

10 GolfWRX Members were chosen to putt various Odyssey Tank Cruiser Models to the test. You've seen our Editor Review, now it's our memberships turn.

Let's keep this thread open until members start posting.

Thanks!

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First thing I want to say is thank you to GolfWRX for the opportunity to participate in this member testing and review process as well as a thank you to Odyssey for supplying the new Tank Cruiser 330 putter.

The putter arrived today and like anyone else would do, I immediately had to unbox the putter and begin tinkering. I am currently gaming a Taylormade ghost spider and have had some issues in the last few rounds with inconsistency, especially randomly topping putts. The first thing I did when I unboxed the 330 tank was replaced all the weights with the heaviest options, which are 2x20g weights for the putter head (385g total) and the 30g counter-weight inside the putter grip (which is AWESOME). My goal at this point was to increase the weight of the putter to be more like a weighted putting swing trainer.

Without ever owning or putting with the original tank model, I can see how these get the "tank" name, even though this is the lighter "cruiser" model. This putter is heavy but in a good way. I couldn't wait to start putting with it so I went out into my sun room to roll a few on my short practice putting surface. With the heaviest weight options I feel like I'm not getting all the extra feel that some people look for in their putter but what I am seeing is a very firm and consistent roll, which is completely welcome at this point in my putting stroke.

I have rolled dozens of short putts and so far I do really like it. The extra weight seems to make it more difficult to pick up and look for the finish before my stroke is complete but I won't begin my full review of the putter until I am able to bring it to a course to give it an honest attempt at real putts.

So, there will be more to follow!

Also, just to note, the putter arrived as 34" not the typical 35" or 38" options. Odd but not an issue since my current putter is also 34"

sexy beast!!! I am still waiting on mine..... Got the same one as you.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

38". I have a 34" Protype now and not only did I want a little more shaft I wanted the extra weight that came with it. Just gotta make sure I don't get my big ole belly back... it may be considered an anchor! ;)

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

Excited to start testing! I was selected as well and am getting a 38" V-Line.. Can't wait for it to show up and put it in play to see how it matches up against my current gamer.

PING G30 9* w/Tour 65x
TM RBZ Tour 3 12* w/ Fubuki K 80x
Adams Super 9031 19* w/ White Tie 8x
Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW w/ C-Taper S
Scratch 1018 51* -Vokey TVD 55*/60*
Bettinardi BB-27 35"

OP, great choice on the 330M. I have one coming from discount dans myself. Question, is the headcover velcro or magnetic closure?

G410 LST 9* w/ Small Batch HZRDUS Green 70 6.5
G425 Max 14.5* w/ Tensei Pro Blue 80TX
818 19* w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX
TM UDI 18* w/ Tensei Pro White 100TX
0311T w/ Nippon Modus 5-PW 3 120X
SM8 50F, 54S and Wedgeworks 58V w/ Nippon Modus 125X
Tour Issue Spider Tour Black
2019 ProV1

Got home from work and mine was sitting on my porch. It looks great. I plan to get out tomorrow or Friday to start some testing. For now, here's a couple photos. Sorry about the orientation. The next batch posted will be from a computer and not phone! Pumped about this. Thanks GolfWRX and Odyssey for the opportunity![attachment=2259887:image.jpg][attachment=2259891:image.jpg][attachment=2259893:image.jpg][attachment=2259895:image.jpg][attachment=2259897:image.jpg][attachment=2259899:image.jpg]

PING G30 9* w/Tour 65x
Bettinardi BB-27 35"

First off, thank you GolfWRX for the chance to review the Odyssey Tank Cruiser!

I currently game a Ping Nome adjustable putter. I cut a half inch off of it so it would retract to 37" and have been using it as a counterbalanced putter for about a year now. I tinkered with a belly putter after I found out they were going to be banned, simply to see what the fuss was all about (and because suddenly they could be acquired very economically!). I putted so well with the belly that it made me look to counterbalancing.

Needless to say I was very excited to hear that Odyssey was coming out with an easily adjustable weight system for counterbalancing.

I did not have a tracking number or anything so I was going to be surprised whenever it was going to show up. I played yesterday morning on my day off and got home early at 10 am and was relaxing when it showed up. So I did what any good GolfWRX follower would do... I went back out to the course to tinker on the putting green and play again!

The first thing that I noticed was the OEM SuperStroke grip. I think it is fantastic that an OEM has the SS on from the factory. I understand some folks are unhappy about that but I happen to like the SS grip. (not the huge ones, the smaller two models just feel natural to me). I do think that it would have been better served if it was one of the newer models with grey and red that would not get dirty so fast. Especially considering right now as I understand it there is not a replacement grip available yet with the counterbalance port.
[attachment=2260435:grip weight port.JPG]
[attachment=2260433:front custom grip.JPG]
[attachment=2260473:side custom grip.JPG]

The next thing I had to open and start immediately tinkering with was the weight kit. Simply put together and easy to use. I set to work immediately making the head as heavy as possible to get closer to the feel I have with my Nome.

[attachment=2260481:weight kit outside.jpg]
[attachment=2260477:weight kit inside.JPG]

The simple look of the head looks great to the eye. Very nice alignment aides to line up putts with.
[attachment=2260421:back view.JPG]
[attachment=2260423:ball addressed.JPG]
[attachment=2260425:bottom shot.JPG]

The face was slightly firmer then I expected. Hopefully this means the face material has changed from the past a little and we no longer have to worry about "hairy face"!
[attachment=2260533:New face.JPG]
My dad's old Sabertooth suffering from "hairy face"
[attachment=2260439:odyssey old face.JPG]

I had tinkered around long enough at this point indoors, I needed to get to the golf course to try it out!
I brought out my Ping Nome for size comparison and noticed they were very close.
[attachment=2260427:compare nome front.JPG]
[attachment=2260431:compare nome top down.JPG]
[attachment=2260429:compare nome height.JPG]

After one round and putting session on the practice green I will say I am a fan.

It took me about 9 holes to get comfortable with distance control. I was so used to the Nome doing more work with the sheer weight of the thing.
I struggled putting on the front 9 getting used to it. I had 5 fewer putts on the back then the front.

Pros:
~Super Stroke Grip off the shelf
~Simple counterweight system
~Available in 4 different head styles in two different length profiles

Cons:
~Possibly no replacement available for the Super Stroke stock grip yet
~Pretty hefty price tag at 249

So far I like it a lot! Will continue using and see if I come up with anything else. If anyone needs some odd angle or a shot of something I didn't think to take.. let me know!

Just got back from the course and a little half hour practice putting session. I can honestly say I'm on the fence of replacing my scotty golo with the tank. Here's some info:

Feel: Much firmer than Odysseys previous inserts. The ball dosent jump off but it's not as soft as the Scotty. I was quite pleased with the feel actually and can see how people love the inserts.

Looks: The #7 was something I wanted to try out because it's just so crazy looking and out there. It didn't really bother me at all and the finish on the tanks is beautiful. No glare and easy to look at.

Distance Control: Now this is where I struggled.. Inside 15 feet this putter was deadly for me. I could see my line and hit it no problem. Speed was great inside 15 feet and I was holing a lot of putts. But once I got outside of that range the feel got a little less and I felt like I was trying to help the ball get to the hole or guide it there because the putter was so heavy.

I will be back to test some more tomorrow or the next day. Maybe I need to practice more to get the distance control down. Lemme know if anyone has any questions!

[quote name='John O. M.' timestamp='1401852491' post='9426507']
First thing I want to say is thank you to GolfWRX for the opportunity to participate in this member testing and review process as well as a thank you to Odyssey for supplying the new Tank Cruiser 330 putter.

The putter arrived today and like anyone else would do, I immediately had to unbox the putter and begin tinkering. I am currently gaming a Taylormade ghost spider and have had some issues in the last few rounds with inconsistency, especially randomly topping putts. The first thing I did when I unboxed the 330 tank was replaced all the weights with the heaviest options, which are 2x20g weights for the putter head (385g total) and the 30g counter-weight inside the putter grip (which is AWESOME). My goal at this point was to increase the weight of the putter to be more like a weighted putting swing trainer.

Without ever owning or putting with the original tank model, I can see how these get the "tank" name, even though this is the lighter "cruiser" model. This putter is heavy but in a good way. I couldn't wait to start putting with it so I went out into my sun room to roll a few on my short practice putting surface. With the heaviest weight options I feel like I'm not getting all the extra feel that some people look for in their putter but what I am seeing is a very firm and consistent roll, which is completely welcome at this point in my putting stroke.

I have rolled dozens of short putts and so far I do really like it. The extra weight seems to make it more difficult to pick up and look for the finish before my stroke is complete but I won't begin my full review of the putter until I am able to bring it to a course to give it an honest attempt at real putts.

Also, just to note, the putter arrived as 34" not the typical 35" or 38" options. Odd but not an issue since my current putter is also 34"
[/quote]

Hey John,

Great to hear the initial feedback - look forward to hearing what you think after you get a chance to take it out to the course. Just wanted to chime in and say that I received your order as a 34" 330M. Must have been a mix up or typo somewhere along the way. Just wanted you to know the reason it showed up at 34"!

-Chad

Well I just got an email from my neighbor that a package arrived for me back home in VA, while I'm standing in a Disney World line. So currently mine is in my neighbor's hands for safe keeping, and I'll only be able to post an update next week.

Huge thanks to GolfWRX and Callaway for the review opportunity. I can't wait to get back now. My apologies for the delay in posting.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

I AM STILL WAITING FOR MINE!!!! lol
I feel like the kid at christmas who has to wait his turn to open a gift,...... :cry:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]but I turn 40 on Saturday so THANKS to Callaway/Odyssey and WRX!!! Great bday gift[/size]

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

[quote name='joey2aces' timestamp='1401987457' post='9436341']I AM STILL WAITING FOR MINE!!!! lol
I feel like the kid at christmas who has to wait his turn to open a gift,...... :cry:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]but I turn 40 on Saturday so THANKS to Callaway/Odyssey and WRX!!! Great bday gift[/size][/quote]

Happy birthday! I was the same exact way waiting for mine. When I didn't get any tracking info I was on edge for a few days eager to receive it and then I sort of "gave up" and then it arrived at my door and all of that excitement came flooding back.

I was able to take it to the putting green yesterday for quite a while and I'll post an update later when I have time.

Chad, thanks for the response! It's great to see that a company rep actually participates in the forums and engages it's members.

BOOM!!

I go to get some coffee and drown myself in pity I hear the UPS guy.... Sorry Joe, I forgot to drop this off earlier.... WHHAAAAAT????

Already in love and I have not even taken it out of the plastic. Love the feel and the weight and I cannot wait to put the 20g in there. slick looking and the 38" in perfect.

[attachment=2261197:tank.jpeg][attachment=2261199:tank2.jpeg][attachment=2261201:tank3.jpeg][attachment=2261203:tank4.jpeg][attachment=2261205:tank5.jpeg][attachment=2261207:tank6.jpeg]

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

[quote name='Callaway Golf Official' timestamp='1401984281' post='9435997']

[/quote]

Hey John,

Great to hear the initial feedback - look forward to hearing what you think after you get a chance to take it out to the course. Just wanted to chime in and say that I received your order as a 34" 330M. Must have been a mix up or typo somewhere along the way. Just wanted you to know the reason it showed up at 34"!

-Chad
[/quote]

Hey Chad great to see you jump in the thread. I am badly wanting a V-Line cruiser but can it be ordered at 36"? Doesn't show that as an option on Cally's site. Thanks and to all that got the V-Line I'll be paying close attention to your reviews so get posting!!

PXG 0811X+ proto 10.5 Aldila NV blue
Cobra F9 3 wood
PING G410 3 hybrid Tensei blue 
Srixon Z585 4-pw Modus 105
PING Glide 2.0 50* KBS Tour
PING Glide 2.0 56* KBS Tour
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

Alright guys, I'll be going out in the morning to roll the V-Line around and possibly put it in the bag for a charity scramble I'll be playing in. Should have a good idea of how it rolls and will report as soon as I get a chance.

PING G30 9* w/Tour 65x
Bettinardi BB-27 35"

joey2aces- I've been quietly nodding my head with a majority of your postings for sometime, but knowing you are a 330 fan totally confirms my admiration. Hope you enjoy the flat stick! (Happy birthday as well)

G410 LST 9* w/ Small Batch HZRDUS Green 70 6.5
G425 Max 14.5* w/ Tensei Pro Blue 80TX
818 19* w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX
TM UDI 18* w/ Tensei Pro White 100TX
0311T w/ Nippon Modus 5-PW 3 120X
SM8 50F, 54S and Wedgeworks 58V w/ Nippon Modus 125X
Tour Issue Spider Tour Black
2019 ProV1

[quote name='Rapture25' timestamp='1402020781' post='9439809']
joey2aces- I've been quietly nodding my head with a majority of your postings for sometime, but knowing you are a 330 fan totally confirms my admiration. Hope you enjoy the flat stick! (Happy birthday as well)
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words and bday wishes!!

I'm pretty excited about the opportunity.

Hopefully I can continue to offer some good and worthwhile posts.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

[quote name='jwo' timestamp='1402001695' post='9438005']
[quote name='Callaway Golf Official' timestamp='1401984281' post='9435997']

[/quote]

Hey John,

-Chad
[/quote]

Hey Chad great to see you jump in the thread. I am badly wanting a V-Line cruiser but can it be ordered at 36"? Doesn't show that as an option on Cally's site. Thanks and to all that got the V-Line I'll be paying close attention to your reviews so get posting!!
[/quote]

Hey man,

Just checked with Koske and team and custom lengths are available from 33" to 39". Our web team is double checking that it's reflected on our website as we speak. Check back in a bit!

-Chad

I spent a good long session on the putting green last night and then played 18 this morning before work. I love the feel and the easy ability to line up putts. I am stilling having a tough time being able to hit the putts hard enough. Could still be the change from a 400+ weight head to sub 400 weight. I was looking for 30 gram sole weights after leaving my 4th putt in a row 3 inches short! I think I am getting it sorted out now, just have to convince myself the hole is an extra foot away for now.

Any word on the insert? Is it a WHP insert or some hybrid of other inserts?

The website just says White Hot insert, so I wasn't sure if it was different (or possibly the Versa insert)? Interested in maybe giving one of these a try but the WHP insert was just too soft for me unless I was playing the fastest of greens.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

[quote name='J-Tizzle' timestamp='1402090546' post='9445011']
Any word on the insert? Is it a WHP insert or some hybrid of other inserts?

The website just says White Hot insert, so I wasn't sure if it was different (or possibly the Versa insert)? Interested in maybe giving one of these a try but the WHP insert was just too soft for me unless I was playing the fastest of greens.
[/quote]

J-Tizzle,
The White Hot Pro, Versa, Tank, and Tank Cruiser inserts are all the same. They'll feel slightly different from head to head because of pocket depth, grip type, shaft length, etc. as those all can effect sound.

Played in a scramble this morning and put the tank cruiser in the bag to roll a few on the putting green and also on the course.

The putter insert, weight, and head shape are all very nice. The insert feels much firmer to me than expected, yet I had trouble getting the ball to the hole with it putting what I felt like was my normal stroke. The putter is very easy to line up and I feel like once I get a few rounds under my belt with it, I could be pretty consistant once I get the speed down. I did notice that the ball seems to immediately start rolling once I put a stroke on it.

With that said, I will update again in a few days after a couple more practice sessions and rounds.

PING G30 9* w/Tour 65x
Bettinardi BB-27 35"

I tired to get on the practice green before my league but couldn't because if work.

So I leave my gamer in the car and bring this beast with me.

First putt is 22' and i drain it. You think I'm in love?? 9 holes 14 putts. Not one pull. This thing goes where you aim. No if's and's or but's.

20's in the bottom 30 in the lid. Bring it. Confidence personified.

I will post more later because it's tough to type right now with just one hand. ;)

Can't wait for tomorrow. Full 18 plus practice. Pics to follow. Maybe some video if it doesn't hold up the course.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125