The Quest for a new 3wood!

djhgolf

Whats your thoughts on the best??
Hi Guys,

As the search for a 3wood seems to be never ending. What do you play and why? Im looking for something that is good off the deck and the tee. As I dont think I will ever find a F3-05 ! :birthday: :birthday:

Cheers

Dan...

Callaway Tour Issue Paradym TD-S 8.5 (7.9) - Fujikura Ventus Black TR 5X

TaylorMade TOUR Stealth 2 15 - Fujikura Ventus Red TR 7X
PXG 0317X Gen 5 19  (Actual 17.5) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 8X
PXG 0311X Gen 5 -  Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X

PXG 0317T - 4 - LAGP L-Series (5) X
Miura KM-700  5-PW - LAGP L-Series (5) X
PXG Milled "Sugar Daddy 2 " 50,54,60 - DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron Holiday LTD (23}/ LAGP 135 (White)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Id have to agree with the above in that the V Steel is a great 3 wood. Id say that the 15* is much easier to hit off the ground than the T/S 13* to get off the ground unless you get a somewhat softer tipped shaft in the 13* to get the ball up. You could also try the Sonartec NP-99 which is a great solid 3 wood nice setup very square, .335 diameter much better than the .350 tip of the Taylor Made. It's got a great feel and great color, another one id reccomend trying for sure.

I just picked up a T-60 and this thing's a cannon! Off of the tee it's very long. I'm having to get used to hitting a deep-faced 3 wood off of the deck but when I do it goes. I'm going tomorrow and putting it on the launch monitor to see what the stock shaft is doing. It'll probably come out this weekend. Take a look at the Nike T-60. I don't think you can go wrong with either the V-steel or the T-60. Simp

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

honestly....

the KP99 is best 3 wood I've ever owned... now that I'm back to playing it I'd even rate it over the 970's I've had for years. Ok I have not hit a F3-05..but KP99's are just as rare....I still have a KF-103 from Kasco..and this is a wonderful fairway wood as well..very easy off the turf.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

The Vsteel is great. Hands down.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Head Golf Professional @ Peninsula Golf Resort, KY[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon & UST Mamiya Staff Member[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon Z565 9.5*, UST Mamiya Elements Prototype 7F5T[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon ZF65 15. UST Mamiya ATTAS T2 8X[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon U45 19*, UST Mamiya iRod 85F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon Z765 3-PW. UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 125 F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Vokey TVD 52/58 M-Grind, UST Mamiya Wedge Proto F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2, Frequency Filter shaft[/font]

i just went through this similar quest a month ago. i end up comparing a nike t-40 tour, nike t-60, taylormade v-steel, and a taylormade rescue dual tp 14*. here is the link for my complete break down:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13392

overall, the v-steel and the t-60 are getting the most play. the v-steel was in initially, but the t-60 taken over the bag. even though the t-60 is deeper faced, i'm not having any problems hitting it off the hard, thin texas fairways right now. its also has a more boring flight than the v-steel, which has been real nice for the wind. the v-steel is very easy off the deck, and is a great fairway wood. i don't think you can go wrong with either.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

Another vote for Sonartec! I have a 14* & 19* SS-07 in the bag and absolutely love them. Nice head size, shape and incredibly solid. I have a V-Steel 15* w/paint break...really solid too, but not as consistant as the Sonatec IMO. Also, the Cleveland Quad-Pros are really solid performers and can be picked up dirt cheap on eBay!

:)

Titleist TS3 Tensi AV65
Titleist 917 F2 3 Diamana 70
Titleist 818 H2 21 Tensei White
Titleist 718 AP2 4-P Steelfiber i95

Vokey SM7 Raw 50F, 54M, 60L
SeeMore mFGP cs SuperStroke Traxion Claw 1.0

Titleist Pro V1x

Now before you laugh, read on!!

If you haven't tried the Tour Edge Exotic yet, your shopping is incomplete. While Tour Edge Exotic is like saying TopFlite Balata, this club is an absolute pleasure to hit. It has a Ti beta cup face design that simply sends the ball screaming off the tee or the deck. 4 out of 6 staff members at our proshop have this club in their bag and everyone of them has been knocking the crap out of the ball. The club is rather pricey at over 3 bills but is worth every penny. This club plays as long as most of our drivers and with the stock shaft made for Tour Edge by Fuji, there was no need to change out the shaft. Control is fantastic

Try it You'll like it. I was sold after the third ball I hit with it.

Happy shopping

rlb827

Well you are going to have so many different opinions. I have had the same problem myself in finding a 3 wood that I feel comfortable with to hit. I have played Titleist PT, Cleveland launcher steel, v-steel, titleist pro lat years model, ect. Many I much say. I just bought the NIke Ignite T-60 and the thing has been my answer. The thing I love most about it is the set up at address. It sets square where as most set closed. I can hit low and high shots. At the same time it is forgiving enough to always keep it in play. It is a winner in my eye for the fact it sit with an open face and I have found that is what gives me my confidence in it, nothing other than that. Another that also sits good at address is the ben hogan that they just stop selling. it is a really straight hitting 3-wood jsut does not have the distance as the Nike. Hope this helps.

If you haven't tried the Tour Edge Exotic yet, your shopping is incomplete. While Tour Edge Exotic is like saying TopFlite Balata, this club is an absolute pleasure to hit.

4 out of 6 staff members at our proshop have this club in their bag and everyone of them has been knocking the crap out of the ball. The club is rather pricey at over 3 bills but is worth every penny. This club plays as long as most of our drivers and with the stock shaft made for Tour Edge by Fuji, there was no need to change out the shaft. Control is fantastic Try it You'll like it. I was sold after the third ball I hit with it.

...even though the bulk of their line was value priced high index clubs, tour edge has been makin high end products for quite some time. their forged blades were made with the same carbon "select" steel as mizuno and were a gem. the v-blade flew under the radar and should still be considered one of the best cb's out there. but they had the first killer hybrid in the tour ironwood over 10 years ago, used on the then sr. tour and that is where they really started to get the attention of the better golfer.

... i agree with you assessment of the exotic fairway wood. 3 out of my 4-some play one and the 4th has an ss-07. there are so many very good fairway woods out there today, and it is hard to separate yourself from the field, but the exotic does. it just does everything exceptionally well, and it looks good at address to boot. as ez to hit off the turf as the tee. forgiving and long. having played most others, imo this one is really sumpin special.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

I love my 904F w/V2 86g shaft! Cant go wrong with it. great boring ballflight

Dan "goose" :blink: :)

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2