2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Odyssey Tank Cruiser: Official Member Testing and Review Thread

I see some of you automatically threw the heaviest weights in before rolling any rocks. Why exactly would you jump right in and go the heaviest combination of weight and not even try it how it comes stock?

I would think a little lighter on the head weight and heavier on the counter weight could result in better control on longer putts?....

I rolled some of these at a local golf shop and was very impressed. Only gripe is the stock lengths, I'm 5'7" and would need a 33 or 34" I'm just as round as I am tall and the six pack tends to hang in the way if it's any longer than 34".

Ha. and by six pack i mean my svelte beer belly.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Matty Fatts' timestamp='1402109058' post='9446781']
I see some of you automatically threw the heaviest weights in before rolling any rocks. Why exactly would you jump right in and go the heaviest combination of weight and not even try it how it comes stock?

I would think a little lighter on the head weight and heavier on the counter weight could result in better control on longer putts?....

I rolled some of these at a local golf shop and was very impressed. Only gripe is the stock lengths, I'm 5'7" and would need a 33 or 34" I'm just as round as I am tall and the six pack tends to hang in the way if it's any longer than 34".

[/quote]

Fair question as to why i didn't play it stock.

My "fair answer" it felt too light for me.

I sunk a pretty decent putt for birdie on hole 1. On hole 2, I had a stout putt. 3-4 times as long and left it on the lip. Literally. Straight up hill. To quote my partner "wow. I might have actually been mad if you mad that."

The thing is, some players know what they're looking for. For me, it was weight. Both i the head and he counter balance. I have 20 gram weights in my protype Xi but still pulled putts. I have this nasty habit of "figure eights" when I have longer putts.

I entered this contest with hopes that it would not only help me with my stroke but help me not pull putts. And low and behold. Not one putt pulled.

There is still much work and testing to be done but i dont see why this won't make my bag for a tournament on June 16.

I'm 5'9". and I got the 38". I'm not svelte by any means and it still doesn't touch my belly. Then again if your waist is 67" (which is your height) i don't think your first gripe should be putter lengths. ;)

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Callaway Golf Official' timestamp='1402072541' post='9443147']
[quote name='jwo' timestamp='1402001695' post='9438005']
[quote name='Callaway Golf Official' timestamp='1401984281' post='9435997']
[quote name='John O. M.' timestamp='1401852491' post='9426507']
First thing I want to say is thank you to GolfWRX for the opportunity to participate in this member testing and review process as well as a thank you to Odyssey for supplying the new Tank Cruiser 330 putter.

The putter arrived today and like anyone else would do, I immediately had to unbox the putter and begin tinkering. I am currently gaming a Taylormade ghost spider and have had some issues in the last few rounds with inconsistency, especially randomly topping putts. The first thing I did when I unboxed the 330 tank was replaced all the weights with the heaviest options, which are 2x20g weights for the putter head (385g total) and the 30g counter-weight inside the putter grip (which is AWESOME). My goal at this point was to increase the weight of the putter to be more like a weighted putting swing trainer.

Without ever owning or putting with the original tank model, I can see how these get the "tank" name, even though this is the lighter "cruiser" model. This putter is heavy but in a good way. I couldn't wait to start putting with it so I went out into my sun room to roll a few on my short practice putting surface. With the heaviest weight options I feel like I'm not getting all the extra feel that some people look for in their putter but what I am seeing is a very firm and consistent roll, which is completely welcome at this point in my putting stroke.

I have rolled dozens of short putts and so far I do really like it. The extra weight seems to make it more difficult to pick up and look for the finish before my stroke is complete but I won't begin my full review of the putter until I am able to bring it to a course to give it an honest attempt at real putts.

So, there will be more to follow!

Also, just to note, the putter arrived as 34" not the typical 35" or 38" options. Odd but not an issue since my current putter is also 34"
[/quote]

Hey John,

Great to hear the initial feedback - look forward to hearing what you think after you get a chance to take it out to the course. Just wanted to chime in and say that I received your order as a 34" 330M. Must have been a mix up or typo somewhere along the way. Just wanted you to know the reason it showed up at 34"!

-Chad
[/quote]

Hey Chad great to see you jump in the thread. I am badly wanting a V-Line cruiser but can it be ordered at 36"? Doesn't show that as an option on Cally's site. Thanks and to all that got the V-Line I'll be paying close attention to your reviews so get posting!!
[/quote]

Hey man,

Just checked with Koske and team and custom lengths are available from 33" to 39". Our web team is double checking that it's reflected on our website as we speak. Check back in a bit!

-Chad
[/quote]

Great news! Big thanks to yourself and Koske for jumpin in and mixing it up with us!!

PXG 0811X+ proto 10.5 Aldila NV blue
Cobra F9 3 wood
PING G410 3 hybrid Tensei blue 
Srixon Z585 4-pw Modus 105
PING Glide 2.0 50* KBS Tour
PING Glide 2.0 56* KBS Tour
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

[quote name='Matty Fatts' timestamp='1402135833' post='9447739']Joey-

HAHA! Great response.

Counterbalancing seems like a great fit for you.

I prefer a really heavy head weight as well. CB might be a could thing for me to mess around with.

Matty[/quote]

Cheers Matty. And thanks for taking my sarcasm in stride.

I am actually going to try the lighter weights today because the greens are a bit quicker than the course i played last night.

Yet i am weary about messing with my putters feel. Just like i don't mess with the adjustability of my driver. Set it and forget it.

I will post pics today as well. Beautiful day here in Syracuse.

Play well my friends.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

[/quote]

Matty- I personally switched the weights to the heavier ones because out of the box, to me, the putter felt a little on the light side. I will toy around with it with all of the weight options, but for the first testing, I was a lot more comfortable with the heavier weights in there. I don't know that I'll really mess too much with the sole weights, but will change the counter balance weight to see how that affects the feel of the putter.

PING G30 9* w/Tour 65x
TM RBZ Tour 3 12* w/ Fubuki K 80x
Adams Super 9031 19* w/ White Tie 8x
Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW w/ C-Taper S
Scratch 1018 51* -Vokey TVD 55*/60*
Bettinardi BB-27 35"

So i stand by the heavy weights. Even on faster greens i need the weight.
These putts go where you aim. That being said, all thats on me as the player is to find the proper speed. My line was dead in all day. I did have 3 three putts and still shot 78. Shorter course from the tips, Greenlakes in Syracuse, but 8 over is 8 over.

The only other question i have for myself is do i sell my "old" protype Xi #1 or keep it as a collector??

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

[/quote]

Matty, not too sure if you read my first post or not but there was a reason that I was excited to put in the max weight for this putter head; I was having issues recently with topping putts with my everyday gamer. My idea with weighing this putter head down was to treat it like a swing trainer and help keep the putter down to prevent topping it. I hope that helps clarify things. I also did change the weight combos around to feel the differences and it still feels best with the heavy weight. It could feel the same but if I was more confident with the max weights, thats all that counts, right?

As for the lengths, my current 330 is 34". Talk to Chad... he might be able to hook you up.

[size=6][b][u]Updates[/u][/b][/size]

[size=5][b]6/4/14[/b] [/size]- Due to my current work schedule I had to miss my Tuesday night league play but I was able to get to a local course on Wednesday after work to spend well over an hour on the practice green.

BLUF - This putter is quickly earning it's spot in my bag permanently. This putter, like many others are also attesting to, rolls beautifully on line. Distance control isn't an issue after getting used to it.

To start off my practice session I spent a few minutes rolling some putts with my current gamer, the Taylormade Spider. I wanted to get a good comparison of what I may like/dislike between the two putters. After that I started rolling both putters, then after a while I spent the next hour with just the odyssey. Adding the extra weights felt more comfortable for me and it did in fact prevent me from topping putts. I topped a couple with my spider, the dreaded putts that sort of pop or bounce when you first strike them and then they end up short of the whole, but didn't do it once with the 330.

With the 330 I found that I was consistently rolling the ball beyond the hole about one to two ball revolutions on average, which was great compared to leaving them about 6-12" short as I had been doing previously. In my opinion, the putter has great feel, but poor sound compared to my spider. That could just be a personal preference or opinion but I like the click noise that my spider has versus a more clunk noise that I get with the Odyssey. I do however think that the length of the current 330 could be a factor in that so I wouldn't be surprised if others find theirs to sound better. Also on that note, I do plan on getting this in a 38" rather than the 34" so I will provide an update if that makes a difference. Also, the sound of this putters isn't BAD, at all, it's just not as sweet sounding as I was used to but it out performs the sound all day so it doesn't have any real negative impact on my overall grade for the putter.

I didn't have any problems with distance control in my practice session. Once I rolled it a few times to get used to the putter I found myself putting the ball on line the entire session and all over the hole. I had plenty of tap ins which was great and on any putts that I had left that weren't easy taps I found this putter to be extremely easy to line up and actually roll it on my line. 6ft putts used to really intimidate me and I found it tough at times to line up my putter and follow through on that line but this putter instills a ton of confidence in them already.

Note: I can't prevent these pictures from turning sideways when I attach them. I've tried rotating them in windows, paint, etc and every single time they're uploaded they turn sideways. Any advice?
[attachment=2264449:6-4-14.JPG]
[attachment=2264451:6-4-14(2).JPG]
[attachment=2264453:photo 3(3).JPG]

[size=5][b]6/7/14[/b] [/size]- I put the 330 in the bag for my Saturday round to see how it would fare on the course.

[attachment=2264455:photo 4(3).JPG]

BLUF - This putter still continues to impress me. Rolls so smooth down my intended line with complete ease. Made a couple of good birdie putts which of course made me happy.

I started my round with some putts on the practice green first and decided to keep the 20g weights in as well as the 30g in the handle. We've had a ton of rain over the last week and I expected the greens to be fairly slow so I wanted the extra weights in for that purpose as well as to help keep me from lifting it up during my stroke.

On hole #1 I had a long 20ft uphill putt for par that just burned the edge and stopped about 8" beyond the hole. It was a great putt that had me happy to tap for bogey. On the 2nd hole I was on the fringe and had a 10ft putt left for par and did the same thing. Again, happy with the tap for bogey with all things considered. I was on target all day today and made a couple of great putts, to include a par save on #5 from a bending 15 footer. I didn't set a record for least amount of putts today with 34 (1.9avg) but that was mostly due to other flaws in my game today which didn't present a ton of opportunities for one-putts. I did have one three-putt today which is still one too many but overall I was very happy. Just for comparisons, the last two times I played this course I finished with 38 putts (2.1avg).
Note: I keep all stats with the Golfshot app

Here's a video of a birdie putt on #15 using the slow-mo feature on my iphone 5s. I apologize in advance for the resolution, my cameraman obviously didn't know how to focus the lens.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyHhzeb6Jmg&feature=youtu.be"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyHhzeb6Jmg&feature=youtu.be[/url]

Nice detailed reviews thus far, I have lots of catching up to do when I get back.

Any feedback on the grip? How about the comments from some, myself included, that some of these Tank Cruisers sit closed?

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='joey2aces' timestamp='1402167774' post='9449331']
So i stand by the heavy weights. Even on faster greens i need the weight.
These putts go where you aim. That being said, all thats on me as the player is to find the proper speed. My line was dead in all day. I did have 3 three putts and still shot 78. Shorter course from the tips, Greenlakes in Syracuse, but 8 over is 8 over.

The only other question i have for myself is do i sell my "old" protype Xi #1 or keep it as a collector??
[/quote]

Love green lakes buddy. Used to play there all the time in college. My roommate used to work the pro shop there.

How is your length on longer putts with it?

Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
James Ingles Scratch Handmande

Very underrated track, Greenlakes is.

Longer putts is not bad at all. You'd think you'd blow it by like a canon with it being so heavy but it's not the case.

If I blew it by the hole any putter would have been long past. Same with short putts.
This putter has helped me from a line standpoint. No pushes. No pulls. And thats what I wanted.... Needed.

Im a decent putter, as far as I am concerned, and my issue on shorter putts has been pulls.

Lags with this are just as good as I was with my protype Xi.
Two days and I'm seriously considering this for my tourney on June 16. Confidence is huge.

This is what I've been looking for. I know it sounds cheesy and canned but i speak my mind..... Just ask the last girl who asked me if she looked fat in a dress.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

[quote name='John O. M.' timestamp='1402171610' post='9449621']

[/quote]

Matty, not too sure if you read my first post or not but there was a reason that I was excited to put in the max weight for this putter head; I was having issues recently with topping putts with my everyday gamer. My idea with weighing this putter head down was to treat it like a swing trainer and help keep the putter down to prevent topping it. I hope that helps clarify things. I also did change the weight combos around to feel the differences and it still feels best with the heavy weight. It could feel the same but if I was more confident with the max weights, thats all that counts, right?

As for the lengths, my current 330 is 34". Talk to Chad... he might be able to hook you up.
[/quote]

Hey Matty - custom lengths are available from 33" to 39" on our website: http://www.odysseygolf.com/tank-cruiser/tank-cruiser,en_US,sc.html

-Chad

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1402187710' post='9450827']
Nice detailed reviews thus far, I have lots of catching up to do when I get back.

Any feedback on the grip? How about the comments from some, myself included, that some of these Tank Cruisers sit closed?
[/quote]

That is funny that you mention sitting closed. I didn't notice it initially. Then the teaching pro at my course picked it up and asked "whoa why does it sit so closed" And sure enough looked at and it does. I naturally have an inclination to leave the blade a little open through my stroke so it evened itself out I suppose.

I went with the heaviest combination of weights myself because it felt light to me when I picked it up. Once I get my PAT out of the way tomorrow I can tinker with some lighter combinations but I want to minimize any drastic changes for the time being!

I was not given one as part of this testing process, but rather ordered it through my shop. I have been putting horrifically this year, and have been really looking for something I could roll on my intended line. I am now using a 38" Cruiser V-Line with a split claw grip. I've got it at 365g with a 15g counterweight. Everything about this putter, the setup/alignment, the roll, the feel, are really solid. Best thing about the Cruisers is the grip IMO. I always loved the 2.0 size of the SuperStrokes, but I HATE the reverse taper. With the longer length of these grips, there is no taper and they feel absolutely perfect to me.

To those who are commenting on the putter sitting closed: it rolls closed if you have the toe off the ground. If you're struggling with this, you need a flatter lie angle.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

[quote name='Callaway Golf Official' timestamp='1402208040' post='9452147']
[quote name='John O. M.' timestamp='1402171610' post='9449621']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hey Matty - custom lengths are available from 33" to 39" on our website: [url="http://www.odysseygolf.com/tank-cruiser/tank-cruiser,en_US,sc.html"]http://www.odysseygo...r,en_US,sc.html[/url]

-Chad
[/quote]

What is the standard lie angle? The customization only shows + and - relative to standard. - never mind, found it on the Odyssey site, 70 degrees

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

Hey, everyone. I wanted to check in after having a few practice sessions with it and playing a round. I will post pictures from the putting green later.

My Putter: Yes! Victoria II belly putter, 42.5" with a 30g counter weight
Tank Crusier: #7 38"

Length: I understand that with the lengths they suggest 35" if you use a shorter putter (~33") and 38" if you use a standard 35" putter. Before going to my belly putter I had strictly used 33" putters but I chose the 38" because I wanted it to be as close to belly length without anchoring. I'm really happy with this decision and glad I went with the extra length.

The main reason I went to the belly putter was I really liked my consistency with it. I'm a former high school golfer and after graduation I stopped playing and practicing every day my putting really went down hill. Webb Simpson said in Golf Digest that he went to the belly because although his best days with it were never as good as his best day with standard length, his worst day with a belly putter is much better than his worst with a standard length one. I think there's a ton of truth in that. I believe by having a consistent anchor point I could putt consistently without much practice. So I was definitely concerned about not having that anchor point but when setting up I check to make sure the end of the club is pointing at my belly button. So far I haven't had any issues with not having that anchor point. In fact, I have found that not having the anchor putt has made long lag putting significantly easier.

Head: I went to Golfsmith before selecting to demo the different options. I thought the #7 was by far the least "sexy" looking option but I felt of all the models it sat square the best for me and was the easiest to align. Before going, I wanted the V-Line because looked the most similar to my Victoria II but I felt I had a tendency to set up closed with it.

Going in, I was a little concerned about feel with the big head. In high school, I used an original Futura for awhile and I cannot think of a putter that I made more 5-10 footers with. The only problem was that I had terrible feel with it and I was leaving myself an insane amount of 5-10 footers. I was concerned I would have a similar experience with this head but that hasn't been the case at all. So far, I have been leaving myself with more tap ins than I did with my belly and find it significantly easier to line up and hit my marks with.

Grip: I really like the Super Stroke and it actually has me rethinking the grip on my Victoria II which currently has a white Iomic. I really like how my hands set up on the bigger grip and think the feel of it is great. I had never used a super stroke before and definitely understand their popularity on tour now. I think at this point, I need to put a super stroke on my belly just so it has a shot at staying in my bag.

Weight: I have been using 15g in the shaft and 20g in the head which gives it a really balanced feel. This is significantly different than my belly putter which has a 30g weight in the shaft and has a lighter head feel but I really like it. I had used my belly putter for a year before getting fitted for loft/lie and having the weight epoxied in. After getting it, I honestly thought the weight had ruined the club. It felt like a rocket launcher to me and the ball felt like it jumped off the face. However, after practicing with it, I realized I could take much smaller/simpler stokes and the weight almost made the club swing itself.

I think the Crusier feels very similar in this aspect. It swings itself but I could definitely see someone without experience with counter balanced putters feeling like it's almost the difference between a persimmon and titanium driver. It is a little different but I think it's a good thing after some practice.

Overall: I am very impressed with the Tank Cruiser. I'm really glad I was given this opportunity because it definitely isn't something I would have ever considered trying. My belly putter has always been pretty consistent and while numerous woods, hybrids and wedges have come and gone from my bag the last few years it's the only thing I have never considered messing with.

I have been freaking out a little about the anchoring ban and concerned that it would take a lot of fun out of golf for me. Now I am not worried about it at all. These flat sticks are a great alternative for anyone using a belly putter.

Hey guys, just wanted to give an update of how the testing is going and also give a little more depth into all aspects of the putter.

A little bit about my game:

I used to play a lot of competitive golf and since graduating college, I haven't quite played as much, more when I am able to on the weekends or if I join a league. My current handicap is 2.4 but that is a traveling handicap. At the course where I play in league, I consistently am even or under par due to my familiarity with the course and also the length (just over 6600 from the tips). I can still move the ball pretty well, but my weakness is definitely my mid-iron game. I grew up playing Hogan Apex blades and then moved to Mizuno MP33. For some reason, probably lack of play, I decided to make the switch to more mid-handicap to try to help out on my mishits, however, the current AP-2's I am playing have not seemed to significantly help my game at all. Anyway, my long game and my putting have always been strong points for me.

Current Putter:

I am currently using a Bettinardi BB27 35" at 340gm with a Gripmaster Stitchback midsize. I love this putter. I have, in the past, had many Camerons, Odyssey's, etc.. you name it, I had tried it. I picked up the Betti when I was living in Vegas a couple years ago and it has been firmly planted in the bag. I knew coming into this, it would be tough to kick out. I consistently average right around 29 putts per round which I feel is pretty respectable. I couldn't be happier with the way I putt, although every once in a while, I tend to get a little quick and pull a few during my rounds.

Cruiser Ordered:

I used to putt with a Golo 43" anchored and although my speed did tend to cause me troubles, I loved how automatic it was to get on line. With that said, when asked what I would like for testing, I chose the V-Line at 38". I didn't get a chance to go to a store and test, but I really liked the look of it so I went with it.

Looks:

Upon arrival, I was happy to see it was exactly what was ordered (which was expected as it is bone stock) and packaged safely. Out of the box, the putter looks great. Very nice grip, head color is great with the no-glare finish, and the headcover is a typical odyssey - nothing flashy or too crazy with this one. Just down to basic functionality.

Feel/Performance:

Out of the box, the putter felt a little light to me, so after rolling a couple on the carpet, I put the heavier weights in the bottom and also the counter balance. This definitely beefed the feel up and made it feel very stable for me. As I explained in other posts, this thing is extremely easy to get rolling on the right line, however, my distance has been tough to get correct. This could be the counterbalancing, insert, or a number of things, but I still haven't gotten it down. (Had 17 putts in league last night and ended with a 36!) Needless to say, if I can get the speed right, I feel this putter can have a good chance to knock my gamer out of the bag. The only putts I missed the line on were because after being short most of the time, I overcompensated the line and missed either edge of the cup. I did make a couple solid par saves and strung together two nice 1 putts on the 6th and 7th holes for birds, however, I had a 4 putt on the 3rd hole which was probably the most discouraging putting exhibition I have put on in the past 10 years. I had a 25' putt for eagle on the 530yrd hole, left the first one short by 8 ft., blew the second one by the lip by 4 ft., and then left the 4 ft. putt short by less than a quarter turn. The feel is great off the face -- it is soft, but not too soft like the original 2-ball. It doesn't have the nice click that say a Cameron or Betti have, but it has that Odyssey sound which many, including myself, have loved for several years. Overall, it is a solid feeling flatstick.

Overall thoughts:

First off, I really appreciate the opportunity that GolfWRX and Callaway/Odyssey gave me to review this offering. I haven't been a member too long, but I scour the threads and try to up my knowledge of equipment as well as the game every day. This is a great community that, for the most part, seems to respect each others thoughts and offer up help when it is asked or needed. As far as the putter, it will be hitting the sideline during play for the time being unless my Betti goes south. I will, however, be practicing with it in order to try to solve the speed issues I have been seeing. It is a fantastic putter. It has all of the right ingredients to make it into basically anyone's bag. Odyssey did a great job with this one. It is perfect for someone looking to move away from an anchored putter, someone who is having problem hitting their lines, or even someone who has the yips. This thing is automatic with the line. It feels great, looks great, and is very consistent (right now - consistently short for me unfortunately!). If anyone is asking for putting advice or struggling with their putting, I will recommend and advise others to recommend giving the Tank Cruiser line a run. I really think it can help golfers of all abilities put it in the hole.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me on here or send me a PM- I really enjoy talking golf! I will continue to update in this thread with how my practice sessions go and my progress with figuring out my speed issues with this putter. I also intend to take some comparison shots of this putter stacked up against my current gamer and others that I have on reserve in the backup bag.

PING G30 9* w/Tour 65x
TM RBZ Tour 3 12* w/ Fubuki K 80x
Adams Super 9031 19* w/ White Tie 8x
Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW w/ C-Taper S
Scratch 1018 51* -Vokey TVD 55*/60*
Bettinardi BB-27 35"

Well I just got home yesterday with the family from a week long vacation and as soon as we unloaded the car I walked straight to my neighbor's house to pick the putter up. Again, thank you GolfWRX and Callaway/Odyssey for the opportunity to review the Tank Cruiser.

Brief background on me - I've played golf since I was a junior so that makes it 27 years in the game now. Played competitively as a junior but just recreational since going to college. Public course, weekend golfer, and currently a 7.3 handicap according to the DiabloGolf handicap tracker. Putting used to be my strength; I played most of my years with a heel shafted blade and/or TPA XVIII style mallet, with an open stance and upright, hands and arms stroke, since I grew up watching Ben Crenshaw, Greg Norman in their primes. Always been aggressive, hitting the putt firmer allowing for less borrow. More recently I moved to a square set up with a little more bend at the hips, using more arms/shoulders and core. I've been using an Odyssey WHP V-Line and ProType #7 (the 330M shape) mainly over the last 2 years, favoring shorter lengths (33") and heavier heads (350+ grams). I still have pretty decent touch when it comes to speed and green reading in general, but have struggled with alignment issues and just short putting period. The V-Line helped with alignment, but I never quite saw the results on the course, aka more putts made. The PT 7 was still more effective for me and so I selected the 330M Tank Cruiser in 35" for this review.

Here are some out of the box impressions:[list=1]
[*]Nice cover with magnetic clasp, good stitching and soft lining (sounds like I'm talking about a purse).
[*]Solid case with the extra weights and tool, everything fits nicely, no loose items rattling around.
[*]The Super Stroke is tackier than I remembered, which is a good thing, because those types of "glossy" grips always seemed slippery.
[*]I like the matte finish on the putter head, I'm guessing this is the same or very similar to the WHP finish, which I really liked on the V-Line that I had.
[*]The use of rubber O-rings at the top of the weights is a very nice touch. Not only does this help seat them nicely, it has a washer-like effect of keeping the weights on tight even if you don't screw it in all the way. Not that I'm taking big swings with the putter. However, there is a slight downside to the O-rings, see below.
[/list]

Some minor cons:[list=1]
[*]The "Odyssey" text at the bottom of the grip is actually pretty noticeable at address. Maybe I'm just weird, but it is slightly distracting. I think I can get used to it though. I understand the branding aspect, and I guess between Odyssey and Super Stroke, there's not a whole of options for placement.
[*]The SS grip is actually a touch on the large side for me, I sort of wish there was an intermediate option in terms of size. And this is coming from someone who uses midsize grips - I don't have large hands, just long fingers relative to my palm.
[*]In terms of the head weights, all of them fit nicely (yes, I tried them all) except for one of the 20 gram weights. Because of the rubber O-ring used and what seems to be a slight variance in how the O-ring is seated at the top of the weight or maybe the size of the O-ring, you sort of have to press the weight evenly in for the threads to catch. This is significant because if you don't seat it properly, you can cross thread the weight as you screw it in. It took me a few tries to get this one weight to screw in properly out of the six. This is more of a cautionary note than anything.
[/list]

Thoughts from rolling some putts on my Skillz Accelerator mat:[list=1]
[*]The counterbalancing works pretty well for me on these short straight putts, it's very easy to make a good stroke through the ball and I find it "guides" your stroke path very effectively.
[*]So far I like the heavy/light combo in terms of head/grip weights. Specifically 15 gram weights in the head + 5 gram in the grip or 20 gram weights in the head + 15 gram in the grip. The balance from this seems most natural to me since I like heavier heads and shorter lengths typically. I will try the heavier grip weight at some point too though.
[*]If I grip too far down, I find that control is lost. This is probably pretty obvious since the balance point is changing, I know, but since I liked 33" putters before I tried going down to the 32"-33" length range and it wasn't as effective for me as the 33"-34" range.
[*]The WHP insert on the Tank feels different from the WHP V-Line I used to have. I still like it, but it feels a little firmer than on the V-Line. Accordingly, there is more feedback off-center than on my V-Line. I'm also comparing two different head designs and I think Koske posted that it'll feel different because of the different thickness (and other factors) even when comparing the same head design.
[*]The dark finish with white alignment aid works nicely for me. I've been used to the satin finish of the ProType with black lines, but I think this might work better.
[/list]

I'm hoping to get out to the putting green or even a twilight nine before the weekend, but it's supposed to be all rain and/or thunderstorms around here for the rest of the week. Either way, hope to get some real putting experience in soon. I like it so far though, despite the minor gripes.

Toulon Palm Beach

Late day thought I wanted to add - my 330M does not sit closed on the putting mat or hardwood floor. It sits perfectly square, and even if I pull the toe up a little.

Toulon Palm Beach

Here are some of the "unveiling" pictures. Pretty similar to what everyone else has posted.

Always a nice feeling to see your name plus "GolfWRX" on the box and packing slip:

14382206406_465214cbd6_b.jpg

The goods nicely packed:

14401977821_94a27df9a1_b.jpg

Details that make a difference - cover and weight kit:

14218689949_2ce0e0310f_b.jpg

Posted this one before, the 330M with 20 gram weights:

14218719468_42fd118891_b.jpg

Odyssey/Super Stroke:

14401976871_927d96706f_b.jpg

14218892537_53cc853df6_b.jpg

Small cautionary note - the 5 gram grip weight is pretty soft, so don't over torque it or the Torx pattern will start to strip/wear down. I don't anticipate a high frequency of swapping this in and out, so it shouldn't be an issue. Just a good thing to point out for people like me who always over torques screws and bolts (see my track record with Ikea and automotive applications, story for another day). Probably a good idea to not over tighten anything on the putter period, since it doesn't have to be death grip tight on a putter, plus as mentioned in my earlier post, the head weights have rubber O-rings that keep them in place very well even if they aren't fully tightened.

Toulon Palm Beach

Well now that I passed my PAT I can start tinkering more with my V-line.

I went from the 5 gram weight to 30g weight in the grip. The change lightened up the head just enough to notice.

I went out and played a round with it this morning and my distance control is getting much better. I am getting to the hole if not a little past now far more then when I started with the v-line. Could not tell you if it is just after more practice with it or the grip weight change for sure though.

Will keep at it. The grip seems to be picking up noticeable dirt already as I feared, will take a picture as soon as it is obvious in the photo.

[quote name='coreyl' timestamp='1402595041' post='9481363']
Place holder

I was selected as well, but currently down at Disney, and it may be sitting on my front porch...gonna have the neighbor check :P

thx again Odyssey for the opportunity.
[/quote]

That is too funny - that was me a little over a week ago, just got back from Orlando Tuesday night and immediately picked up the putter from my next door neighbor.

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='BewareTheGlowball' timestamp='1402592312' post='9481031']
Will keep at it. The grip seems to be picking up noticeable dirt already as I feared, will take a picture as soon as it is obvious in the photo.
[/quote]

I've heard that for SS grips in general, household cleaning wipes or even baby wipes clean them pretty easily. There's also the tried and true dish soap and water with a soft brush.

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1402595983' post='9481471']
[quote name='coreyl' timestamp='1402595041' post='9481363']
Place holder

I was selected as well, but currently down at Disney, and it may be sitting on my front porch...gonna have the neighbor check :P

thx again Odyssey for the opportunity.
[/quote]

That is too funny - that was me a little over a week ago, just got back from Orlando Tuesday night and immediately picked up the putter from my next door neighbor.
[/quote]

thats funny stuff...just talked to my neighbor, it has been there since the day we left :P