Playing as a single joining up - nice story inside

2»

Comments

• tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,288 ✭✭
    But how could you work on your game with that old man getting in your way? Hope he didn't actually try to talk to you and ruin your concentration ...

This thread should be required reading for entering GolfWRX.
    Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9°
    Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
    Irons: Ping i200 3 iron, Ping iE1 4-PW
    Wedges: Titleist SM7, 48º; Titleist SM5, 54º & 58º
    Putter: Cleveland Classics Huntington Beach #1, 35"
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,774 ✭✭
    Good story, great sense of spirit from KJ. We have an 88 year old who plays with us quite frequently. He is subjected to the same bs and barbs as everyone, but returns them with vigor. This kind of stuff is the true spirit of golf, not how far a ball is hit, or even the score. Kudos.
  • Forged4everForged4ever Putting is 98%+ Mental..... ClubWRX Posts: 15,573 ClubWRX
    KjBowenWRX wrote:

I have noticed that I play as a single an join a 2 or 3 some a lot..

I really enjoy this as it allows me to play with a ton of different people and of all skill levels. Yes there is a chance of some nightmare rounds but some can be very pleasing.

Yesterday I decide to head over to play the local Par 3 course and when I arrived there was no one on the course except for a very old man on the tee.. The owner comes out an says you may wanna play thru him as he plays VERY SLOW. I told her no worries I am in no hurry. He tees off and she was right.. Very slow.. He finishes the hole and I play the hole.. I walk to the next tee and he just arrived. I asked him if I could play along side him.. He made a face like he was shocked I didn't ask him to play thru.. We played together and we had a great time.. Playing with him prob added 30-40 mins to my round but we both had company..

Turns out he is 83 years old

Has been playing golf for 63 years!

He lost his wife and has no one to play with.

At the end of the round the owner came out with tears in her eyes and told me that he plays there 3 days a week for over 4 years and no one has ever played with him. They always play thru and that what I did was an amazing gesture.. I told her in my eyes that's in the spirit of the game and why we all play.

She refunded me my greens fees and said that with what I did that earned me a free round.. I went in and the old man bought me a drink.

I truly love this game and I think I will be doing even more rounds as a single lookin to meet some amazing individuals
    Through 6900+ posts on another board and whatever I have here, and this is THE BEST story that I have ever read on any board.

I am normally not at a loss for words, though there are no words for certain actions-

This is one such action!

Well Played Bro!

Very Well Played!

YOU are why this is the greatest game on earth!

Have a great season image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

My Best,

Richard
    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24
  • Papa JohickPapa Johick My Girl Duffners Members Posts: 4,463 ✭✭
    very classy. I am like you and play a lot by myself and look forward to being paired up. I always ask to play with than through when/if I catch up to others. It just makes this game even better to have some good company and get out to play the best game/hobby there is. kudos to you sir
    Forever Changing at this point.......
  • Daniel EasonDaniel Eason Members Posts: 1,746 ✭✭
    edited Jun 11, 2014 #36
    What a wonderful post.

You probably have prolonged his life by a bit purely by giving him the happiness and company for a round.

This guy has seen the all time greats in golf, surely worth a round a beer to sit along and listen on that alone.

I played a summer competition two years ago playing a random draw, one of the guys was on a cart as he was in his late 70's, the other similar age...was I bothered? No, it was an honour, I had no qualms and they actually made me feel less image conscious about my game, they were a great laugh and I won the competition!

What course was this out of curiosity.
    Youtube golf instruction video
    only shows a ball distance or direction
    of about 3 inches
  • Absolutely a great story and you are definitely the kind of person I would like to play a round of golf with... and buy you a beer after.

Thanks for sharing this with us and giving many of us a good reminder on selflessness and perspective.

-D-
  • mwkbmwmwkbmw Play. Fast. Posts: 2,486 ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing. Well played, Sir.

I am truly amazed that none of the speed freaks have ruined the thread busting your balls for not cursing the guy out and starting a slow play thread on GolfWRX.
    Ping i25 9* Tour Stiff
    Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
    Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
    Ping i25 5-UW
    Scotty Cameron Notchback
    Ping Tour Gorge 54 & 58
  • Very cool story!
  • SanzabarSanzabar Members Posts: 1,256 ClubWRX
    Thanks alot for sharing this.

Really shows that we should all put things into perspective. Slow play is acceptable.
    Ping G400 Max w/Evolution II 569
    Callaway V-Series Heavenwood
    Nike Vapor Speed 23*
    TaylorMade P790
    Nike Engage 56/60* & Callaway PM Grind 64*
    Nike Method Origin B1-01 Custom

#Colts #ForTheShoe
  • grumpy84grumpy84 Posts: 561 ✭✭
    This is pretty awesome. Good on you man!
  • RangeballzRangeballz Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    I just joined the forum yesterday, and what a great first story to read! Well done, sir.
  • AjlepistoAjlepisto Members Posts: 2,358
    Honestly I think sometimes we are so focused on pace of play we don't slow down and just take it all in.

I'm definitely guilty of that. And I bet there will be a time in my life when I'm old and wished I had someone to play with. I hope someone like you comes along.

Kudos to you.
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 8,951 ✭✭
    Good stuff OP image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • diehllanediehllane Reverend Members Posts: 1,161
    I feel like I must be a terrible person since this thread didn't get me emotional at all.

Nonetheless I gave the OP a like.
    Driver: Bombtech Grenade 10.5
    3W: Mizuno JPX EZ
    Hybrid: Mizuno JPX Fli Hi 3h, 4h, 5h
    Irons: Mizuno JPX 825 6-9i
    Wedges: Vokey SM4 46.08, 52.08, 58.09, 64.07
    Putter: SeeMore Si5
    Ball: Vice Pro Plus
    WITB Link
  • asommers14asommers14 Members Posts: 237
    I love playing as a single and being paired up. Sometimes it can be a headache but the majority of the time it goes great
  • The Golf FatherThe Golf Father Members Posts: 86
    This game is all about personal challenges, but is great because of the SHARED experiences that we have while playing. Kudos to the OP for making the game of golf better for all of us.
  • okieboy84okieboy84 ClubWRX Posts: 112 ✭✭
    That's a really cool story. It's definitely something that you and he will never forget. Well done man.
  • Bingo1976Bingo1976 Posts: 2,493 ClubWRX
    Several of my best friends have come through being paired up randomly - golf is a great way to establish frendships.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Matrix Ozik R[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]HiRev[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/font]
  • PutterHoPutterHo We all have our vices. ClubWRX Posts: 3,257 ClubWRX
    Awesome story ..... Thanks for sharing!
    Ping G400 Max 10.5 Accra Z55 LS
    Callaway Rogue 4 wood
    Callaway Epic 19* Accra FX1000
    Srixon Z565 4-AW
    Vokey Indigo 54
    Vokey Indigo 60
    Camico Newport 2
  • sertsharksertshark Happy to bogie the hole Posts: 84
    My friends and I have different schedules, so it is hard to get together to play. So, I have no problem getting out there and playing as a single, because I have had so much fun getting paired up with people. The unfortunate thing is there are those rare occasions when pairing up with people is not so much of a fun thing. Usually though, within a few holes they realize I am no threat to their ego or their schedule, and after the pride settles we have some great conversation.

I love playing with "older" gentlemen, whatever age "older" may represent. It seems "younger" people are a bit more concerned with "score". The older gentlemen are much more concerned with enjoying the moment. Funny thing when you think about it - If you are practicing to get better at something, thinking too much about the goal is a setback, where staying within the moment allows you to get much more enjoyment out of the process....

I love how the older guys pause to look around the scenery for a moment, as if to acknowledge we are all only here for a fleeting moment. If they crank one way left, they act as if that is simply the hand they are dealt. Younger, less patient people are preoccupied. They are already thinking about the **** they have to do when they get back home. They get pissed off because that duff shot just ruined their chances at breaking 90. I am so guilty of that....

I cannot tell you how many retired people I have been paired up with, and each of them was a lesson in life. The only negative experiences came from being paired with a few younger people, who were impatient and seemingly more interested in their own agenda. Funny how we are presented with so many lessons in life, and it us up to us if we chose to learn from those lessons. There is so much to learn from golf, and there is even more to learn from the people we get to meet while playing it. Unfortunately, most of us hurry through our lives too fast, and we don't seem to notice the things that remind us that we are only here for a moment. So, we should savor each and every shot. I notice many of the older gentlemen I have played with walk the course with that very attitude, and something tells me it is a lesson to learn from.
  • Beastmode BrokerBeastmode Broker Canadian AF Members Posts: 6,317 ✭✭
    thats a fantastic story

I bet you made the man's day/week/month

good on you dude, the world needs more golfers/people like you
    Taylormade M1 440 9.5 | Kuro Kage DC 60 X
    Taylormade M2 15 | RIP Alpha B 70 X
    Callaway XHP 20 | RIP Alpha 85 X
    Mizuno JPX 900T 4-PW | TI DGX100 ssx1
    Callaway MD3 RAW 52S / 56W | DGS300
    Nike Engage 60 TS | DGS300
    Taylormade Milled Collection Mullen 35"
  • DatSliceDoeDatSliceDoe Camerons & Cobras One fairway overMembers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭
    Great story. Good for you OP!

We truly need to work on teaching people coming to the game, young or old, what the game is truly about: character, and this story is full of it!
  • RandomGolfGuyRandomGolfGuy Members Posts: 495
    That's awesome great story. Definitely could use more ppl like you with a similar perspective and love for the game.
    Callaway Razr Fit 10.5° S+ Diamana Blueboard 63 Stiff Flex
    Callaway Razr Hawk 3 wood TC 14° Diamana Kail'i 70 Stiff Flex
    Adams D-hy 21° Aldila Tour Blue Stiff Flex
    Callaway X-Utility Prototype iron 24° 6.0
    Srixon i-506 irons 5-PW 6.0
    Titleist SM5 F Grind 50°
    Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 58°
    Wilson Staff 8883 Milled Putter
  • lesterclimlesterclim Members Posts: 169
    Great story, Ken! Thanks for sharing. Definitely a Chicken Soup For The Soul (For Golfers) story!
  • pbfootpbfoot Whom. Posts: 659
    edited Aug 20, 2014 #56
    Very cool, I play as a single a lot and enjoy getting paired with different people. Best was last summer when play was slow around 7 I joined up with the course's former super and a pro who, as it turned out, was playing a practice round before heading to Muirfield for The Senior Open (made the cut too). I'm not going to claim that older folks' slow play isn't a bit frustrating sometimes, but so long as they keep it moving its worth it. At least they (usually) aren't asking me for swing tips after every tee shot!
    915D3 10.5*, Rogue 95 70X
    915F 15*, Rogue 95 80X
    915Hd 20.5*, Rogue 95 85X
    Vapor Pro 4-PW, DG S300
    SM5 50F, 54M, 58K
    Scotty Select Newport

WITB Link
2»