Played the Callaway iX today--Now With Final Verdict!

Golfdog

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played the Tour ix on Saturday. Hit several full shots with a Callaway Tour-X MD grind wedge. Had a few scratches, hit the cart path twice off a driver. still minor scuffing. Played all 18 holes with the single ball. Shot my second best round ever on that particular course. The Tour ix ball definetly has good bite. Same if not more than the ProV1X I played on 3 holes for comparison.

I found teh Tour ix ball went further on the drives, but came up shorter in the irons. I assume that to be caused from the spin rates. I will definetly be continuing the experiment. May switch from the Pro V1x to this.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

The TP Red is like Pro V1x which is like the HX Tour which is like the One Black which is like the B330.

The TP Black is like Pro V1 which is like the HX Tour 56 which is like the One Platinum which is like the B330-s.

Scott

What a minute..Isnt the prov1x more like the b330S???Both are softer and more spin,no?

No....

Scott

I disagree .Just went to the site.You be the judge.

prov1x

prov1

Guys,

The Pro V1x is the distance ball and has a harder feel. The Pro V1 is the spin ball with softer feel.....

Scott

Honestly,Its way too damn confusing for me.I'll stick with my ball of choice.

But, they claim- New, softer Urethane Elastomer cover - higher spin with irons for improved workability.Doesnt this mean more spin?

Guys,

The Pro V1x is the distance ball and has a harder feel. The Pro V1 is the spin ball with softer feel.....

Scott

Honestly,Its way too damn confusing for me.I'll stick with my ball of choice.

But, they claim- New, softer Urethane Elastomer cover - higher spin with irons for improved workability.Doesnt this mean more spin?

Compared to last year's Pro V1x, yes.....

Scott

Guys,

Scott

Go to the Golf Magazine ball test and check out the spin rates for the x and regular Pro Vs. You will be surprised.

I read the ball test article. Do you believe everything you read in a golf magazine?

Scott

Guys,

Scott

Go to the Golf Magazine ball test and check out the spin rates for the x and regular Pro Vs. You will be surprised.

I read the ball test article. Do you believe everything you read in a golf magazine?

Scott

Well if I have to choose between some guy on the Internet or a magazine that has farmed out the research to a reputable company, then I'm going with the magazine.

Guys,

Scott

Scott

Well if I have to choose between some guy on the Internet or a magazine that has farmed out the research to a reputable company, then I'm going with the magazine.

All you Pro V1 players that are going to switch to the Pro V1x this year to get more green side spin, post here and let us know that....

Look, I have hit both new balls and the new Pro V1x does offer more green-side spin than last year. But the new Pro V1x does not offer as much green-side spin as the new Pro V1. And the new Pro V1 is certainly softer feeling than the new Pro V1x. I would choose the Pro V1x because it does not spin as much off the driver and I still generate too much side spin.

The Pro V1 has been the green-side spin ball forever....why would they change that now?

Scott

Guys,

Scott

Scott

I spent half of last year trying to convince my golf pro that the V1x had more spin on short irons than the V1, he laughed at me more than once! Finally he tried a side by side comparison an to his shock agreed 100%! Perhaps it used to be the other way around, but now the V1x spins more off short irons, but still spins less off the driver.

I found this out by accident, I spin the ball a lot, therefore never even tried the V1. Got a dozen for free so I put them in play and was shocked to find that I DID NOT spin the V1 back near as much as I do the V1x.... I was shocked.

Then the article came out and half of the guys at my club stopped laughing at my "crazy" claim and started to test the difference themselves....

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

I held my tongue after your initial appraisal but hold no more. My findings are completely contrary to yours. I have played the ix, i, ldp red, and ldp burner. the ix is the first new ball that I have played where I walked off the course and into the pro shop and bought a dozen.

I am notoriously cheap and usually play used balls unless in tournament play. My ball of choice prior to the ix was the hx.tour. Great ball especially into the wind here near the ocean at sea level. Most of the manufacturers play at my course so i tend to get my hands on new balls/equipment before release. Ergo, I have been playing these balls for a couple months.

I find the ix to be super long off the driver yet gives normal distance with irons. I say normal off the irons because the hx hot is super long off the driver and a club long off the irons. ix has nice feel around the greens and stops nicely on approach shots.

I liked the i and the ldp red also but for me the ix is King. I did not like the burner tp ldp, it felt too soft and that soft feeling did not result in extra spin on chip shots.

Maybe our swing speed difference is the factor that leads to different conclusions. I am in the high 120's.

I held my tongue after your initial appraisal but hold no more. My findings are completely contrary to yours. I have played the ix, i, ldp red, and ldp burner. the ix is the first new ball that I have played where I walked off the course and into the pro shop and bought a dozen.

I am notoriously cheap and usually play used balls unless in tournament play. My ball of choice prior to the ix was the hx.tour. Great ball especially into the wind here near the ocean at sea level. Most of the manufacturers play at my course so i tend to get my hands on new balls/equipment before release. Ergo, I have been playing these balls for a couple months.

I find the ix to be super long off the driver yet gives normal distance with irons. I say normal off the irons because the hx hot is super long off the driver and a club long off the irons. ix has nice feel around the greens and stops nicely on approach shots.

I liked the i and the ldp red also but for me the ix is King. I did not like the burner tp ldp, it felt too soft and that soft feeling did not result in extra spin on chip shots.

Maybe our swing speed difference is the factor that leads to different conclusions. I am in the high 120's.

Wow. High 120's......Might have something to do with the difference in performance. :) I'm surprised the burner ball didn't explode when you hit it. The HX Tour is pretty low spin off the driver and at your swing speed you certainly don't need spin to keep the ball in the air. How was the ix around the greens compared to the LDP Red?

Titleist 915D2 9.5* Rogue Black 95MSI 60S
Callaway XHot Pro 15* Project X 6.5
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 2 Iron C-Taper X
Bridgeston J40CB 3-PW Project X 6.0
Ping Anser 54*,60* Project X 6.0
Taylormade Imola 8 35"

<br />
Guys,<br /><br />The Pro V1x is the distance ball and has a harder feel. The Pro V1 is the spin ball with softer feel.....<br /><br />Scott
<br /><br />Go to the Golf Magazine ball test and check out the spin rates for the x and regular Pro Vs. You will be surprised.<br />
<br />I read the ball test article. Do you believe everything you read in a golf magazine?<br /><br />Scott<br />
<br /><br />I spent half of last year trying to convince my golf pro that the V1x had more spin on short irons than the V1, he laughed at me more than once! Finally he tried a side by side comparison an to his shock agreed 100%! Perhaps it used to be the other way around, but now the V1x spins more off short irons, but still spins less off the driver.<br /><br />I found this out by accident, I spin the ball a lot, therefore never even tried the V1. Got a dozen for free so I put them in play and was shocked to find that I DID NOT spin the V1 back near as much as I do the V1x.... I was shocked.<br /><br />Then the article came out and half of the guys at my club stopped laughing at my "crazy" claim and started to test the difference themselves....<br />
<br /><br /><br />I'm not good enough to do a side by side testing of spin of the pro v1 and v1x, but in FL this winter i did my own on course testing of the two balls. Last season I played the hx black and, although i liked its distance, i did not like it around the green. In FL i kept one V and and one X in my pocket all weekend. I was suprised at the feel around the green with the x,it stopped real well on approach shots and I loved how it drove. The V was also great around the green, but i expected that. With the play of the x around the green and how it bore through the wind off the driver, its the ball in my bag now.

Wow. High 120's......Might have something to do with the difference in performance. :) I'm surprised the burner ball didn't explode when you hit it. The HX Tour is pretty low spin off the driver and at your swing speed you certainly don't need spin to keep the ball in the air. How was the ix around the greens compared to the LDP Red?

swing speed has never been the problem, swing aim that is a bit of a different story. the ldp red is maybe a hair more spinny around the greens but really i think it is a sound issue. the red is a lower sounding ball than the ix. the red has a thud where the ix has a click. spin wise it is pretty much a dead heat, but perceived spin goes to the red with its deader sound. the i and the red have very similar sound but the i seems softer but its sound is a bit brighter.

That probably doesn't help much, but off full shots the ix can't be beat for my swing. I have always wondered if some balls would work better than others at high swing speeds and the ix really does seem to work exceptionally well. This is the first time i have ever noticed a big difference between successive models of a ball. Prior to hitting the ix I was licking my chops waiting for the inevitable price drop on the hx.tours. The card was warmed up for several dozen but now the new ball is all i will play. It is that good.

swing speed has never been the problem, swing aim that is a bit of a different story. the ldp red is maybe a hair more spinny around the greens but really i think it is a sound issue. the red is a lower sounding ball than the ix. the red has a thud where the ix has a click. spin wise it is pretty much a dead heat, but perceived spin goes to the red with its deader sound. the i and the red have very similar sound but the i seems softer but its sound is a bit brighter.

That probably doesn't help much, but off full shots the ix can't be beat for my swing. I have always wondered if some balls would work better than others at high swing speeds and the ix really does seem to work exceptionally well. This is the first time i have ever noticed a big difference between successive models of a ball. Prior to hitting the ix I was licking my chops waiting for the inevitable price drop on the hx.tours. The card was warmed up for several dozen but now the new ball is all i will play. It is that good.

With your swing speed, what is your results between the Callaway Tour IX and the ProV1x? Thanks for the reply!

Funny how you contradict yourself by saying you only play used balls...Then you say that you have been playing this ball for a few months??? Unless you are a Club Pro or assistant, how can you get new equipment in your hands so early?

Funny how you contradict yourself by saying you only play used balls...Then you say that you have been playing this ball for a few months??? Unless you are a Club Pro or assistant, how can you get new equipment in your hands so early?

Ughhh.... usually and only have different meanings. Read the post for the answer to your questions.

With your swing speed, what is your results between the Callaway Tour IX and the ProV1x? Thanks for the reply!

hx. tour was a better ball for me so I have not done much with new prov1x. I hit those side by side for a couple months and the hx.tour was much better into the wind.

Guys,

Scott

Scott

I asked a Titleist ball rep about the validity of the magazine ball test...he said the problem lies in who determines what arbitrary parameters they use in setting up the test, coupled with those who try to translate that info over to their own particular swing -it becomes useful bathroom reading.

I used the new iX over the weekend, and found it to play pretty similar to the older hx tour that I used for the most of last season.

The one reason that I will play the iX over the hx tour is the cover seemed a little bit more durable. I would shred hx tours in a matter of holes, but the iX shreds far less. It is not a non-shredding cover, but definitely reduces the shredding compared to the hx tour.

M3 440 IZ-6
M3 15 IZ-7
P790
Handground Vokeys
009M custom

hx. tour was a better ball for me so I have not done much with new prov1x. I hit those side by side for a couple months and the hx.tour was much better into the wind.

I agree that the callaway holds a better line in the wind, how about the spin on iron and wedge shots? What was the difference in distance between the HX tour and tour IX, compared with your prov1x experience? How far did you hit them? Thanks!