2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Bridgestone e6+ and e5+...

HMArndtGolf

....are they really that good?
It seems, at least according to my previous post, that many people here really like the Bridgestone e6+ and e5+ for the best balls under $30. Are they really that good?

Last year I tried a sleeve of the e5 and a sleeve of the e6 and nothing really stood out about either one. Is the e6+ and e5+ that big of improvement or did I just not give the Bridgestone balls enough time on the course?

I'm really looking for a ball that is straight off the tee, gives drop and stop spin from 120 and in, is reasonably long, and offers better than average durability (in that order of importance).

Is the Bridgestone e6+ or e5+ the best ball for that job? *

The other two balls I've been considering are the NXT Tour and the HX Hot Bite.

HMArndtGolf

*I originally had this post asking about the e6+ but after hearing more comments it seems like the e5+ may be the one offering more drop and stop performance from 120 and in.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the e6 (now the e6+) almost exclusively after trying many. It really has become a distance ball that is soft enough for good green work. I also liked the e5. The e5+ seems to spin a lot more and loses distance.

Titleist TSR2 Tour AD DI
Titleist TSR2+ Tour AD DI
Titleist TSR2 18 Speeder 757 Evo V

Mizuno Max Hybrid 22

Titleist T350 6-7

Titleist T200 8-48
Ping Glide 3.0 52,56,60
Scotty Cameron Jet Setter NP2

I just bought the last sleeve of e6+ from my golf shop and played them three rounds in a row and was very happy. I shot my best two rounds ever. I got to play yesterday and the e6's were beat up enough that I played some NXT extreme's instead and I really like the e6's a whole lot better. I carry them about the same as the NXT but they roll better and are softer around the greens. Am I the only one who likes new pretty golf balls?I just cant play with beat up dirty looking balls. Todd

I haven't played the E6+ yet, but I played the E6 last season. Really liked the e6 as I needed a low spinning ball off the tee that was still good around the green. I've got several dozen e6+ waiting to be used once the snow melts. I assumed that the e6+ performs similarly to the e6. Are there any significant differences between the two?

I did a pretty exhaustive ball search last year and settled in on the e6 and the hx hot, with the nxt tour close behind. I am waiting to try the e6+ this year. I do not have any problem having any of these balls stop on the green with approach shots. I played the Hot for the most part and liked it to the point where I didn't purchase any more e6's. When the Hot Bite came out I noticed that the marketing for the regular Hot said it was even hotter. This concerns me a bit. If I find that they did alter the original Hot to the point where I cannot stop it on approaches,...than the e6+ will interest me a great deal.

I am afraid of the cover's durability on the Hot Bite, but may try a sleeve of these as well.

I am very interested to hear more opinions on the e6+.

e5+ definately has more stopping power compared to the e6+. I played the e6+ along side a Wilson Zip the other day and both were equal off the tee and irons the difference came with wedges and the Zip offered more spin. Now I also hit the e5+ as well that day and found it to be quite a bit shorter off the tee about 5-10 yard but I am a high spin player off the driver which caused that. When it came to wedge shots with the e5+ compared to the Zip or e6+ there was no comparison. The e5+ would work well if your driver spin is low enough not to cause an issue as it did with mine if so then the added short game spin is well worth going with the e5+ it all comes down to what is your game lacking the most short game spin or distance/accuracy off the tee.

Have not played the new + version yet but played the e6 all of last year as well. Definitely not as much spin as the e5 when I tested both. The e6 was maybe a bit longer for me and even a tad bit softer than the e5, but it would not stop as quick as the e5. I wanted more distance so I just got use to the longer approaches rolling out a bit. I am still going to buy the original e6 (closeout prices here are $19.99) until I have to switch to the + versions, then I guess I will test both and see which upgrade I like better.

The original e5 and e6 balls are on sale at Golf Galaxy for $17.99

Our sponsors might even offer them lower.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

It seems, at least according to my previous post, that many people here really like the Bridgestone e6+ and e5+ for the best balls under $30. Are they really that good?

Last year I tried a sleeve of the e5 and a sleeve of the e6 and nothing really stood out about either one. Is the e6+ and e5+ that big of improvement or did I just not give the Bridgestone balls enough time on the course?

I'm really looking for a ball that is straight off the tee, gives drop and stop spin from 120 and in, is reasonably long, and offers better than average durability (in that order of importance).

Is the Bridgestone e6+ or e5+ the best ball for that job? *

The other two balls I've been considering are the NXT Tour and the HX Hot Bite.

HMArndtGolf

*I originally had this post asking about the e6+ but after hearing more comments it seems like the e5+ may be the one offering more drop and stop performance from 120 and in.

Based on your needs as described.. I would say the E5+, Wilson Zip, and Top Flight Gamer are the balls to check out.

The E6+ will not stop in its pitch mark. It will roll out.. even on wedges.

I love the E6 series. The E6+ has slightly more spin but not anything like a premium ball. It's the best ball for my game.

As for it not stopping that's not true. I've stopped mine and even rolled a few back a foot or so and I'm not a high spin player.

Generally though this ball flies higher than most for me and lands soft. have no problem at all keeping it on the greens.

For pitches and chips I've learned to play for a little roll out.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

Based on your needs as described.. I would say the E5+, Wilson Zip, and Top Flight Gamer are the balls to check out.

The E6+ will not stop in its pitch mark. It will roll out.. even on wedges.

I've heard some about both the Zip and the Gamer but have yet to find either in a local store (Dicks Sporting Goods, Wal-mart, K-Mart, 3 local golf shops, etc.).

HMArndtGolf

e5+ definately has more stopping power compared to the e6+. The e5+ would work well if your driver spin is low enough not to cause an issue as it did with mine if so then the added short game spin is well worth going with the e5+ it all comes down to what is your game lacking the most short game spin or distance/accuracy off the tee.

I'm really surprised to hear how much greenside spin most people say the e5+ has. It's been a very long time since I've found a 2 piece ball that offers enough spin for me (drop and stop) from 120 yards and in. Glad to hear there's one out there that offers it at a cheap price.

HMArndtGolf

I love the E6 series. The E6+ has slightly more spin but not anything like a premium ball. It's the best ball for my game.

As for it not stopping that's not true. I've stopped mine and even rolled a few back a foot or so and I'm not a high spin player.

Generally though this ball flies higher than most for me and lands soft. have no problem at all keeping it on the greens.

Completely disagree with the statement that the E6+ spins more. No way it spins more than the E5+ off irons or wedges.

Completely disagree with the statement that the E6+ spins more. No way it spins more than the E5+ off irons or wedges.

Relax......look at the post again....MrJones is saying the e6+ has more spin than the e6......

Scott

I played the e6 a lot last year. At first, I played it because it was known as a ball that could correct a slice. Beleive me - it did! I played it a little less once I worked my swing to effectively rid myself of the slice. But the non-slice factor isn't the only thing in its favor. It flies! I won a longest-drive competition during my company's golf tourney last year. A good all-around ball that really lowers spin off the driver (at least sidespin).

Now, I can't really spin it all that well around the greens (any ball, not just this) so I can't comment too much there - but I would think it's not the best for greenside play, even if you are good at it. But overall, I can't complain about this ball. I'm sure I'll pick up a dozen of the pluses this season once my supply of the previous version runs out.

Relax......look at the post again....MrJones is saying the e6+ has more spin than the e6......

Scott

I stand corrected. My apologies.

Been playing the E5+ and will say that I think it spins almost as much as a ProV1 around the greens. I havn't noticed that much more spin with the driver, but I dont spin it that much anyway with that club.

I had a 8 iron into the green the other day, it was into the wind and the greens were soft, and I spun it back about 20 feet. Of course the ball ended up farther away from the hole than if it would have jumped forward, but you get my point.

Anyway if you want a fairly cheap ball with good spin the e5+ is the way to go IMO.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Been playing the E5+ and will say that I think it spins almost as much as a ProV1 around the greens. I havn't noticed that much more spin with the driver, but I dont spin it that much anyway with that club.

I had a 8 iron into the green the other day, it was into the wind and the greens were soft, and I spun it back about 20 feet. Of course the ball ended up farther away from the hole than if it would have jumped forward, but you get my point.

Anyway if you want a fairly cheap ball with good spin the e5+ is the way to go IMO.

I think I'm going to get a box of the e5+, see how I like them. Since my NOP from last year are getting low and my TA2|SPN got discontinued.

I think I'm going to get a box of the e5+, see how I like them. Since my NOP from last year are getting low and my TA2|SPN got discontinued.

I played the NOP last year and I think I like the e5+ better, distance is as good or better, greenside spin almost as good, iron spin about equal.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Im not a scientist but why would Bstone not just put a urethane cover on the E6 also to provide that little extra bite. I realize this may increase spin on full shots as a result but probably not as much as the E5 due to the 3 piece construction. Obviously the E6 is marketed and designed as the low spin slice fixer but would a urethane cover negate this?

I've settled on the E6+. I like a ball that feels soft, and the E5+ is a tad too hard feeling for my liking. I played the E6 a lot last season, as well as trying just about every other ball in that price range.

I tried a sleeve of the HX Hot Bites last week. They were a bit too hard feeling for me, and they spun a lot more off the tee.

One thing worries me - I bought a membership at golfballselector.com. I've tried several of the recommended balls. No matter how I answer the questions, the E6 is way down on the list for me, and balls I know I don't like are high on the list. The worst part is that the consistently highest recommendation is a Wilson ball no longer in production.

I play e6 and now e6+ mainly (although i just picked up e6 from last year's item sale..), and just love them. I like them better b330S for many reasons.

It's definitely less-spin off the club face, and to me that means more distance and straighter flight. I'm not sure why some people say it doesn't stop even on wedges, but e6 is really soft enough to play around the green. Maybe not your 7 or longer irons, but i have no trouble stopping with my short irons or wedges.

seriously, unless you give pro v1x at its half price, i just can't think of better ball than e6/e6+ for the price.