2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

My 2008 TP Black and Red LDP taste test

cb_golfer

08 TP Red vs 08 TP Black vs 06 TP Black vs 07 Pro V1x
See Post 7 for update. TP Red is the winner.

Got a chance to play more golf during the holidays and I got a hold of the 2008 TP Black (which came in a sleeve marked "protobox"). I played 3 rounds with the 2006 TP Black, 2008 TP Black, 2007 Pro V1x and decided to do my own "taste test". I usually play the 06 TP Black since I loaded up from GPPGolf.

Method Used: Went out and played golf. Anytime, I could hit multiple balls from the same distance\lie then I did. The rest of my foursomes were not too amused but they're duffers and I told them this was "scientific research" that I was going to blog on.

Driving. This was a toss up between the 08 Black and 07 V1x. I had a longer drives with the V1x but it felt like I made better contact during those swings. 06 TP Black was shorter than the other balls by a few yards. Not enough for me to change what iron to use on the next shot but was noticeable

Full Swing Wedge Approach. With my 58* spin milled wedge, average distance was around 103 yards with about 8ft of spin back; with the Pro V1x around 105 with about 5 ft. I didn't get a chance to hit the 06 TP Black much but I usually hit same distance as 08 TP but with slightly more tour sauce. Oh yeah, I cheese grated all the balls. Looking at a previously used 06 TP Black, the little strings were longer and the cuts a little deeper. Anecdotal here, but it appears the 08 TP cover is better. Durability wise, the 08 TP was the same as the 07 V1x.

Wind. This is where I like the 08 TP Black. It was blustery during one of the days. I had to hit full PW from 105 yards and came up short on all shots. Visually, 08 TP just looked better in through the wind, second was the V1x, while the 06 TP was the worst.

Feel. This is so hard to test between the balls that it comes down to preference. I like the Pro V1x the best here since I seem to be closer to the hole with my chips, pitches and putts. The TPs just felt harder of putter face. I'm indifferent but if I had to rank them I'd say the feel on the Pro V1x and 08 TP is good while the 06 TP feel is ok.

My Conclusion. The 08 TP is better than 06 TP since I get a little bit better distance, feel and wind play. Better than Pro V1x? I don't know. I can play with either ball and it won't affect my score. Which one will I use? Answer, whatever is cheaper between the 08 TP Black and 07 Pro V1x.

BTW, I also have a sleeve 08 TP Reds…

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info. I'll try the 08 TP Red in my next round and see how it performs with against the 1x.

But if the new TP Red is low spin/launch then TP Black is high spin and high launch? Who wants this combo? I had less spin with the 06 Blacks so is Taylormade flip-flopping with their 08 version? If anyone else played the new TP balls, please chime in.

Thanks for your take on the TP blacks for 2008. after trying both the Red and black TP models for 2008, I must say the black did not fare well for me. the black really was soft in the cover and scuffed up too easy for me. the red was more durable and spun less for me off the driver. the red was very inpressive into the wind as well. did notice the MOI on iron shots as I hit a few off each tee into a 25 mph wind. was surprised when I hit a few that were not on the sweetspot but did not lose much distance compared to a perfect strike. around the greens is where the black this year will be better, much softer and does not click like it used to. for me the red is like the Pro v1x off the driver ( lowe spin and more run ) but like a pro v1 around the greens and off my irons. I did play these last fall for a few rounds and puit them through their paces. being a Pro v1 guy, the red is what I have been looking for the last couple of years. always felt like I was giving up some yardage off the tee with the Pro v1 and into the wind I would have to account for that. just my 2 cents, feel free to keep the change LOL !

Ok, just finished my round with the 08 TP Red. I wish I started with the Red in my taste test since I love this ball. This is better for me than the O8 TP Black and 07 Pro V1x. I found it longer and launched better for me. It had enough spin for me in the greens although I still cheese grated it on full wedge shots. Right now, I think the durability on any the premium balls is a lost cause. Seems like an industry strategy just to get us to keep buying more balls. Also, I'm pretty much in line with ironmikes comments. I still think the Pro V1 feels better of the putter but that's just preference.
[color="#ff0000"]
[b]Anyway, I'll be playing the TP Red this season.[/b][/color] (Unless the I do another taste test with new Callaway or Bridgestone new balls and get better results). Cheers!

[quote name='cb_golfer' post='846426' date='Jan 2 2008, 09:27 PM']Ok, just finished my round with the 08 TP Red. I wish I started with the Red in my taste test since I love this ball. This is better for me than the O8 TP Black and 07 Pro V1x. I found it longer and launched better for me. It had enough spin for me in the greens although I still cheese grated it on full wedge shots. Right now, I think the durability on any the premium balls is a lost cause. Seems like an industry strategy just to get us to keep buying more balls. Also, I'm pretty much in line with ironmikes comments. I still think the Pro V1 feels better of the putter but that's just preference.
[color="#ff0000"]
[b]Anyway, I'll be playing the TP Red this season.[/b][/color] (Unless the I do another taste test with new Callaway or Bridgestone new balls and get better results). Cheers![/quote]

Glad to see you got to use the new red. it is pretty darn good for me. I will be using the TP red for the most part and also the new Callaway IX tour this year. the IX tour was longer off the tee for me and spun touch less off my irons, which is ok as I spin my irons a lot. the IX was a little firmer than I usually like but the results were darn impressive. suppose I will have to play the IX more but I can see me using it when the conditions are softer. the big thing about the IX is durability. wipe it clean after 9 holes and it did not show much wear and tear at all. good luck with your search. I am happy that I have one gamer for sure and one to do some more testing on.

[quote name='ColinMB' post='847730' date='Jan 3 2008, 05:02 PM']I actually thought the TP red was the higher spinning ball, no? And the Black was the lower spinning ball, with more distance attributes. Did it change this year?[/quote]

Sort of..

Taylormade states 08 TP Black is now designed for lower-spin players and 08 Red is for hgher-spin players. Just to confuse to everyone...

• 1 month later...

The 08 TP Black is the high launch low spin ball, which I would say is similar to the Pro V1X. The TP Red is a lower launch higher spin ball. I spoke with Taylor made, and they complaint they had from touring pros were the '06 versions felt to much alike. I believe the '08 red is actually a 4 piece ball, where the '08 Black is a 3 piece ball. The '06 red was a 3 piece ball as well.

Ty

• 4 weeks later...

OK I have to vent here. the 2008 TP Black is a great performer. Unfortunately, I can't play a ball where a "chunk" of the cover comes off the ball when I hit it with a 7 iron. Or I put "flaps" on it with a solid 9 iron. I am not even talking about shots with the new sharp groove sand wedges. The ball becomes immediately unplayable. and i LOVE the distance and greenside performance.

But I can not afford to put a ball in play that might only last one hole. This is where the PROV1 x shines. I get 3 rounds out of these balls!! All that happens is the cover shaves off a little. this doesn't effect ballflight, or the spin characteristics.

BUT you get one flap on a ball or a chunk out of the cover, and you can't trust it to fly true. One of the golf magazines did a study on this and found that the single biggest effecdt on a ball was a "flap or chunk" , followed by mud stuck to it.

HEY TAYLOR MADE!!! FIX THE DAM COVER AND I'LL PLAY THIS BALL!!! OK VENT OVER.

OK I have to vent here. the 2008 TP Black is a great performer. Unfortunately, I can't play a ball where a "chunk" of the cover comes off the ball when I hit it with a 7 iron. Or I put "flaps" on it with a solid 9 iron. I am not even talking about shots with the new sharp groove sand wedges. The ball becomes immediately unplayable. and i LOVE the distance and greenside performance.

But I can not afford to put a ball in play that might only last one hole. This is where the PROV1 x shines. I get 3 rounds out of these balls!! All that happens is the cover shaves off a little. this doesn't effect ballflight, or the spin characteristics.

BUT you get one flap on a ball or a chunk out of the cover, and you can't trust it to fly true. One of the golf magazines did a study on this and found that the single biggest effecdt on a ball was a "flap or chunk" , followed by mud stuck to it.

HEY TAYLOR MADE!!! FIX THE DAM COVER AND I'LL PLAY THIS BALL!!! OK VENT OVER.

Sorry to hear that. I haven't experience this with my TP reds albeit I'm still playing from my original set of TP red prototypes. I'm playing with some TM guys in 2 weeks so I'll pass your feedback. As far as the PRO V1x, I can't get to this ball (or any other premium ball) to last 3 rounds. I get the strings off the cover with 50 to 80 yard shots with SM Vokeys. Cheese grated if I decide to do a 100 yard shot with my 58. How do you make it last so long?

This doesn't seem consistent with other posters nor the TM web site.

Supposedly, the Black is higher launch and higher spin, while the Red is lower launch and lower spin...

Black LDP is high launch, low spin. Red LDP is lower launch, lower spin. Same thing to me. huh.gif Damn those TM marketing gurus... I just play the TP Red LDP since it performs the best for me.

Now I am really confused after reading this.

So I prefer the V1 over the V1x, I also started playing the older TP reds. I prefer the softer balls - so between the LDP red and black I figured the logical step was to try the LDP red.

Is this correct? The LDP red is softer and higher spinning?

AFAIU, No and No (as compared to the Black).

So I prefer the V1 over the V1x, I also started playing the older TP reds. I prefer the softer balls - so between the LDP red and black I figured the logical step was to try the LDP red.

lol, this is getting a bit confusing isnt it? My understanding is that the 08' TP/LDP RED has a softer feel with lower spin compared to the 08 'TP/LDP BLACK. TP Black is firmer feel with more spin. Off the putter the RED does feel/sound softer...just my .02

TRS 3 - Ping Max 10k ?  Ventus Red TR 5s? - Ventus + Blue 5s? - TPT Nitro 17 Hi?

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
Mezz Max Armlock ~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

MY OPINION IS AS FOLLOWS, I WAS PLAYING THE '07 NIKE PLATINUM BALL LAST SEASON AND LOVED IT. RECENTLY TRIED THE '07 TM TP BALL (BLACK), AND THE '08 TM TP BALL (RED), AND WOOOWWW THE '08 TP BALL (RED) IS ABSOLUTELY THE BEST BALL I'VE PLAYED TO DATE. LOW SPIN OFF THE DRIVER AND PERFECT PLAY FROM THE IRONS, AND WEDGES. GRAB A SLEEVE AND TEST MY THOUGHTS. I BELIEVE YOU TOO WILL APPRECIATE THE BALL.

My 2021 WTB:
Driver - Taylormade Sim Max 9* Tensei White 
Fairway Wood - Tour Edge EXS Pro 13.5* Tensei Blue 

Hybrid - Tour Edge EXS Pro 17* Tensei Blue

Irons - Titleist (2020) T100 w/ TT tour issued X100 120's 4-PW
Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM8, w/ TT tour issued X100 120's
Putter - Mizuno M-Craft 2 Black Series

Balls - Mostly Taylormade Lethal, or TP5, and sometimes Titleist AVS 

lol, this is getting a bit confusing isnt it? My understanding is that the 08' TP/LDP RED has a softer feel with lower spin compared to the 08 'TP/LDP BLACK. TP Black is firmer feel with more spin. Off the putter the RED does feel/sound softer...just my .02

TP Black is LOWER LAUNCH HIGHER SPIN off the driver/irons Equivalent to the Pro V1 This ball is softer cover and spins a ton on greens

TP Red is HIGHER LAUNCH LOWER SPIN off the driver/irons Equivalent to the Pro V1X This ball is harder cover and spins less on greens

Cover is more durable on the TP Red.

TP Black is LOWER LAUNCH HIGHER SPIN off the driver/irons Equivalent to the Pro V1 This ball is softer cover and spins a ton on greens

TP Red is HIGHER LAUNCH LOWER SPIN off the driver/irons Equivalent to the Pro V1X This ball is harder cover and spins less on greens

Cover is more durable on the TP Red.

No....the new TP Red is a lower launch and lower spin ball as compared to the new TP Black.

Scott

Haha...sorry guys I know this is getting old. I think I have it figured out now, did some more reading on TM website and other posts here.

Sorry for the thread jack coming up.

I will try both red and black. Want to know how the cheaper Burner and Burner TP balls are?

I'll probably end up buying all four and try them out but want to know if anybody has tried them out.

Any feedback?

Went and bought a sleeve of the black, red, Burner tp, and Burner.

I am really in search of a mid priced ball so I am hoping the Burner TP will perform well. I'm also eyeing the Bridgestone E6.

Currently I can't get away form the Pro V1 and the older TP red. Can't wait to see how the new TP red and black compare.