2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

TaylorMade Burner

I have the 9.5 (non TP) in stiff reax 50g shaft. This is the longest, straightest driver I've ever hit. Previously owned the Ping G5 and the FT-3. Unnnnbelievable. It does seem to go further on smooth tempo swings. Simply amazing. I also demo'd the FT-5, but for $170 less (bought mine for $250 new,) I couldn't be happier.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Since the inception of my golf habit, a few years back, I have had essentially 4 drivers. A TaylorMade r540XD, PING G5, Callaway FT-5, and now a TaylorMade Burner. What drew me to the Burner was the extra long 50 gram shaft. So I demoed it one day during a lunch break and I liked the feel of contact with this driver. I equate it to a mallet hitting a bass drum. I'm getting more distance with my Burner than I ever did with the FT-5 and a little more than my trusty G5. The r540XD was just a warm up to technology, I think I had it for like 4 months.

On the course, I did miss a fair share of fairways, but it was a bachelor party and we did have some beers. What I can say about the Burner is it takes time to get used to the shaft. I found myself missing left a lot, but once I got positioned right, I was golden. I don't know if this is accurate, but I usually hit my driver like 260, anyway, on one particular shot I must have swung completely out of my shoes and put one 330 yards, with the wind. I'm sure a cart path and the wind played a role, but nevertheless, it was in the center of the fairway, with a SW into the green. After that, I can honestly say that the Burner will be in my bag for a while. I highly recommend the Burner to anyone, who wants to have fun, hit some bombs, and leave your friends 20 yards behind.

• 5 weeks later...

This is a slick driver! I am amazed at how well I hit it. It is really the perfect driver for my swing. I'm not a very fast swinger, but I can get some power behind it. I upgraded from an R7 460. I briefly tried a Nike Sasquatch as well. This driver blows them both away. Shot after shot went farther than I had ever hit the Nike or the TM. This club is so light and forgiving that I can really swing at it and not worry too much about letting up. Even my slices are fairly tame, and easily correctable.

I really didn't think that a new driver would make that much difference, but for whatever reason it does. Kudos to TaylorMade for designing this baby!

• 3 weeks later...

Talk about a "Wow!" factor off the tee! I recently purchased the 10.5* regular flex and am bombing it long and straight. I have never hit the ball this well in my life. For me, the Burner was easily 20-30 yards longer off the tee than the other clubs I tried out and had the best feel. The recent price drop to $199 made this a no-brainer for me. It's a great stick that's taking a big cut out of my handicap!

I've been pretty happy with my FT-3 the past two years and wasn't looking for a driver when I stopped in at the local golf shop. But, I wanted to check out the new Hyper driver. They haven't arrived yet, and the the guy showed me the Taylormade Burner Driver. I've always played Callaway or Ping Drivers, and never cared much for Taylormade products. Not even when the R7 came out.

To satisfy the salesperson, I ducked into the indoor range and he set me up. Not really warmed up, I was swinging the Tour Burner about 60%. It felt very light in my hands, and felt effortless getting the club thru impact. What shocked me was the ball was landing at 260 yds, and my swing speed was at close to 100. Excellent trajectory, slight, tight draw. Smoooth and loooong. So. I took my watch off, and put on a glove to get serious. Next ten swings topped around 108 mph, mid-high traj, and over 270 on the fly. 8 hit the fairway grid, two went left just off the fairway.

Just to make sure , I got my FT-3 out of the car and hit it also in the indoor range. Most I could muster was about 97mph swing, same traj, and 256 yds on the fly.

I'm not a technical guy, or really stay up with shaft specs and all that. But, from what I was told and what I felt felt, this driver is very light with a 50 gram shaft and also they shaved the weight off the head and even the grip, and has a 46" shaft. So, I went with the 9.5, stiff Reax.

I've played close to a dozen rounds, and I've never been happier with my new driver. I can work it left to right at will, and put a smooth, effortless swing that produces perfect traj with plenty of hang time. I think this is probably the best driver I have ever owned in my 20 yrs of playing golf.

I've always been a TM guy, even still hitting a TM Titanium Raylor until the head flew off into the driving range this spring. I decided it was time for a new driver. The guy at Golf Discount suggested the Hibore with the V2 stiff shaft that had just dropped to $150. I picked it up without trying. I was shocked at the length I was getting. My son took it over pretty quick and I wasn't too upset because I was fighting a fade/slice with it. I picked up a Hibore XL with a Red stiff and liked it much better. Lower ball flight and less of a fight with the fade. If I missed, it was right, which doesn't work on our course. I got both of these with 10.5 and really had to work to keep them down. Just for kicks I got out my old Titleist 12 degree driver that was my control driver. I realized what the Hibores were missing for me was the workability, which to me is control. I could bend that Titleist right, left or dead center pretty easy. I decided I needed to try one more driver. I got a chance to pick up a TM Burner 9.5 stiff with a 3 wood and 3i Rescue for a great deal. I pulled the trigger and have been giddy ever since.

I took the Driver to the course without trying it. 1st drive...long, boring drive with a slight draw. Hit it 8 times that round...all but one in the fairway and no fade/slice. In several range sessions I found I could fade it or draw it with relative ease...not as easy as my Titleist, but the extra 30 yards is worth it. I found the Hibores almost unworkable for me. My boys love them so I let them take them...they think I'm the greatest dad in the golfing world.

I love the 3 wood and hybrid. I can toss the ball on the tee box and let that 3 wood go with no fear. The ball just rockets off the face, climbs and draws on command. It reminds me of my old TM Raylor with the bubble shaft..well controlled and boring shot.

The hybrid replaces a Nickent and I couldn't be happier. Long and high. Easy to hit with little fear of a snap, which I had some trouble with with the Nickent. I know this sounds a little like a TM bit but I really am jacked about these sticks.

I got so excited with TM that I thought about getting some TM R7 TP irons. I hit them along with MP60's, MP32's, MP30's, xtours,...the MP 60 were the easy pick for me. Sorry TM...you don't get all my money...yet.

Ping G400 LST 10* Rogue Max 65G S
Ping G400 3 W 15*  Rogue Max 80G S

2023 Cobra King Tour 4-P $Taper 120 S
Odyssey Rossie II 35"

• 4 weeks later...

I just switched to this driver yesterday. I started this season out with the 1st Nike sq driver in 10.5 stiff. Hit it pretty good but was presented the opportunity to pick up a TM superquad in 10.5 with a diamana blue board 63g in stiff brand new for $200.00 what a deal right???? Well I hit it OK but after 5 rounds of golf 1 dented the face of the driver (with a Pro V1x)?? Go figure. I went back to the store and they exchanged the club with no problems. I had been fighting a snap hook/heavy draw with the superquad and could never really shake it. I took the burner to the range and I can actually work the ball. I can hit a high fade or a draw at will. To me the club feels very light yet stable. I am flying the ball between 275 and 295 consistently. I play to a 9 hcp. I would recommend anyone looking for a great value to look at this club.

All Clubs subject to change relative to my last bad round of golf......

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently picked up a burner 9.5 degree with the stock taylor made/fuji shaft and have to say this is the closest driver to cheating that is available....forgiving, long and did I say forgiving? I've used a 905R before this driver and also used a G10 but love the Taylor Made over the others. Sets up nice and a smooth swing generates awesome results. On days where the swing feels grooved I've gone after it and gotten some extra distance without loss of accuracy. Hit the longest drives of my life with the burner. Can get them for a song nowadays, $199 from golf galaxy or golfsmith and even cheaper second hand. Probably going to pick up a couple of burner fairways next? Anyone like them who plays a burner driver and do they have the same feel? Enjoy and hit em long and straight.

Traded a TM TP R7 for a 9.5 with stock stiff Fuji shaft. Way too light and unpredictable. I had Speeder 757 pull out from a Titleist D1 in the hanger and decided to experiment since I didn't need to spend any more $$ on a shaft or head. Talk about coming to life! The Speeder 16 grams heavier than the stock shaft and even in an R flex as opposed to S, it feels very firm with the Burner head now a noticeable feel sensation is present. Trajectory is low to mid and boring. Distance is about the same, but control and the intangibles "feeling" and "solid" come to mind. Very satisfactory. The guy that traded the burner for the R7 kept skying the mishits with the burner. My diagnosis was that the shaft was too light for his swing. Very fast swing like 115 mph with a strong load. For me, 98 mph with a silky smooth transition. :partytime2: (Ha). Anyway it works better for me. The R7 had a stiff UST V2 and he has been satisfied with that configuration. So as they say in Dances with Wolves: Good Trade!

The Chile Guy

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I want to love this driver. I really do. It is pretty long. About as long as my 425, but not quite there yet. The think I hate the most is the weight. It is way too light. I stuck a bunch of lead tape on the head and the shaft and it's better. But still not quite there. Maybe I will have a new shaft put in over the summer. Something in the 70 gram range should help the weight and the feel of the club. It is pretty darn forgiving though. I gave it a 4 because of the weight.

Ping Rapture 14 Stiff Saishin (sp)
Ping Rapture 21 vs Proto Stiff
Ping Zing 4-SW Stiff
Ping Eye 2 Plus LW
Ping Cadence B65

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[quote name='maverick' post='1727211' date='May 30 2009, 06:36 PM']I have had my retail version for about a month or so and hit it longer than any other driver I have had and straight, very forgiving. =) maverick[/quote]

After a few months of using this driver I don't like the extra length but I do hit the ball farther. I just got a G10 to see if it was any better.

I love the G10's feel and standard length and it's stupid easy to hit but not as long. :-( So now what to do?

I just need to get used to a driver 1 1/2 inches longer than I would like. =) maverick
BTW, I checked the swing weight and it is in the Es.!

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[quote name='alawaihacker' timestamp='1186204063' post='666465']
This is the best driver I have ever hit. This goes about as far as my previous (905r) but way more forgiving. I originally had the stock REAX shaft but was spraying that all over the place but now I have it with a YS-6+ and it is monster straight.
[/quote]

sorry to bring up an old post but this is my current setup on this driver. I have the 10 1/2 deg. loft. Does anyone know if the club is a degree closed or not? I tend to push the ball always to the right at first. But can usually straighten it out after a few drives. Is it that the club is a little open at first. Maybe play the ball a little forward in my stance?

P.S. I also cut 3/4 of an inch off the stock length of the REAX shaft on my YS-6+. Doesnt feel too long now...Im 5' 9"

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Resurrecting this thread as I'm posting reviews of everything I currently game, and this has been my go-to driver for the past 4 or 5 seasons. Plus this is one of the first results when google searching "TaylorMade Burner".

I had every intention of updating my driver this season. Went to PGA Superstore and spent multiple visits and multiple hours testing my Burner vs. the newer clubs from Taylormade (R11s, R1, RBZ, RBZ stage 2), Ping and Titleist.

Non of the new ones tested substantially longer or even straighter. The RBZ and RBZ stage 2's tested slightly longer but with a much greater dispersion - so I chalk that up to the increase in shaft length.

If you're a golfer on a budget or just starting to take the game seriously and want to step up from the persimmons - this is the club to get! You can buy a nice used one online for the cost of a decent lunch and it tests nearly identical to the $300 and $400 newer lines out there.

For reference I'm a 8 handicapper with a consistent 105mph swing speed. I use the stock stiff shaft. My standard miss with the club is a fade.

The club is extremely hard to mishit.

TaylorMade SLDR 460 12*+1* stock stiff
Tour Exotics XCG 15*; Mizzuno 19* MP-650
Callaway X-20 Tour 4 - PW; PX 6.0 shafts
Titleist Vokey SM 52*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey Teron, 35" Super Stroke 3.0
https://www.gamegolf.com/player/KevinR22

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...