Mizuno MP-600

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked up a used one today at the Golf Expo in Boston for $100. Will be trying in out this week in Aruba.

ย 

Update: Back from Aruba, love this driver, as many of you may know Aruba is alway very windy. I have the weights on 2 and 5 and I was still able to keep the ball low and out of the wind. Hit it further and staighter than my Ping G2 and always with a nice draw.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone played the old MP 001? Or the hibore XL? How does this compare to either?

ย 

I can only compare to the HiBore XL

I had to wait a little, because I did not want to jump to conclusions too soon.

Quick history:

I came back to the game after an eight year break, and I was a litte overwhelmed with all the new equipment. I know that testing drivers on the range doesn't work for me, I have to play them for a few rounds, and I wanted to try as many of the new ones as possible. Last year, I took advantage of the Euro/Dollar exchange rate and of the ridiculously high prices for golf equipment in Central Europe, bought a lot of slightly used drivers (at 3balls mostly), played them for a few rounds and then resold the ones that didn't convince me in Europe with a small profit.

The Hibore XL was one of two that I couldn't give away, because it was so good, the Nike SQ Tour 460 being the other one. So you know, I really think the HiBore XL is one of the best drivers of the past 3 or 4 years.

My Hibore XL is 9.5ยฐ with the Fuji fit-On Red in S-Flex. The shaft is a little too stiff for my mid 90s swing speed, but it works well enough. I love the HiBore XL, it is very reliable, straight and forgiving. I give up a little distance, because the ball flight is rather low, but I can't overpower the shaft with my fastest swings, which is most important to me, because the courses I play have narrow fairways, very deep rough and lots of OB. The Hibore XL was definitely the best driver I bought, because I knew I would keep the ball in play most of the times, with rare misses to the right.

I had the opportunity to test a few more drivers on a range late last year and was extremely impressed with the length of the MP-600. I tried a 10.5ยฐ with the stock Exsar shaft in R-Flex. I know this driving range well, so I could tell that I hit it way longer than any other driver I had ever hit there. However, I had some misses left and right and wasn't sure if it was the shaft or the fact that the MP-600 is not very forgiving, as most people here think. However, even slices were longer than straight shots with all other drivers. Also, I couldn't change the weights then, which were set at 2 and 5. Next, I had the chance to rent another MP-600 for a weekend and jumped on it, playing a total of three rounds. This was a 9.5ยฐ with an Exsar shaft in S-Flex. I could change the weights now, did so for a light draw bias and was even more impressed, because after those rounds I could not believe that people think this club is not forgiving. Those were the best three driving rounds I ever had, the worst misses being in the semi-rough. The only thing was that the ball-fight was a little low and I knew that I could use a little more spin as well, but I was sold. So, when a British online-shop had a special offer just before Christmas, I ordered my own Christmas present for myself. A 10.5ยฐ MP-600 with the UST ProForce V2 in S-Flex. I had this shaft before in a Wilson driver and really liked it, and I figured with a higher lofted head and with the heavy MP-600 head in particular, this should be perfect for me. And it is.

I have played three rounds so far in very cold, stormy (up to 50 mph) weather and on heavy fairways and I am extremely happy. You know how tough it can be to drive well, when the wind is really blowing, especially when you are standing on exposed teeing areas and always are in danger of losing your balance or your tempo. In those three rounds, not one drive ended in a worse place than the semi-rough, and even against the wind, I hit this driver way past the spots that I hit any other driver before, the Hibore XL included. With the weights set to 4 and 2 in "regular" strong winds and 3 and 2 in really stormy conditions, this driver just goes dead straight or with a slight draw, allows me to hit piercing drives into the wind or through side winds and high flat bombs if the wind is helping. With that set-up, the right side is totally out of play. For the first time I do not aim for the fairway in general, but I can also aim for a particular part of the fairway. Also. I am not a really good ball-striker, but with the weights at 4-2, this driver allows me to choose and decide, if I want to hit it straight or draw it. Can't move it left to right with that setting (and frankly, I don't want to), but everything else works perfectly. And the sound and feel is just so solid.

Only thing that's wrong with it: The "running bird" logo starts to come off the headcover in the tail area. Other than that, I think this is the perfect driver.

Quick comparison to the Hibore XL: The MP-600 is considerably longer, especially in windy conditions. The MP-600 is also more forgiving, if you have one "main" miss that is not too pronounced. The weights allow you to take one side out of play, unless the miss is a really bad slice or hook, but even those will be lessened somewhat. Both drivers are about equally forgiving on off center hits heel-toe. The HiBore XL is still more forgiving on off center hits high-low. The MP-600 does not respond well if hit too low on the face, but that doesn't bother me much, because I do not play on courses which have a lot of forced carries on the tee shots.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

I was a long time user of a 510TP then switched to a R7 425TP because of the slightly bigger head. I've always loved the muted yet powerful sound of the 510TP that no other driver could duplicate. I just picked up a used MP-600 w/ Fit-On shaft and must admit this club is amazing. First off, it is a 460cc head but it looks smaller at address. Mizuno did a fantastic job of making a traditional looking head while hiding the bigger size. The Fast Track really does affect the ball flight as long as you have a swing that is somewhat repeatable. With any club, if you make a bad swing it doesn't matter what the configuration is. It is forgiving and the thwack sound at impact is damn sexy! So far I've hit it longer and straighter than my 510TP and 425TP...but like I said, so far.

There are a lot of good drivers out there. But for me the MP 600 beats them all. The MP 600 is square- I donยดt like open or closed

faces - and Fast Track works. The feel is unbeatable.

ย 

IME the MP 600 is pretty forgiving and after 1 year playing this driver, I can give the MP 600 a solid 5 in the opinion count.

• 2 months later...

MP-600 is definitely not the longest driver I've played but it might be the most accurate. After 10 rounds my stats show I'm hitting 10/14 fairways on average--and my misses are more playable as a rule. That's equated to one more GIR per side. I like that. I switched from a 9.5* 425TP Aldila NVS65 Stiff. The 425TP was definitely longer and I hit 9/14 but my misses could get seriously ugly.

ย 

I play a 10.5* with the Fuji 360 R-flex cut to 44.25 inches total length. At the shorter length the shaft CPM plays like a stiff and it's far easier to find center face. Nope, I don't hit the ball 300+ yards. More like 260 average total not counting the occasional long ball.

ย 

Good driver, sits square, sounds good on impact.

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased a used MP600 with ProLaunch Red X flex from Roger Dunn in Santa Ana, CA.

I asked the staff for lower ball flight driver and he recommended MP600 with ProLaunch Red or Titleist D3 with Voodoo shaft, I tried hitting both drivers on site and I liked both drivers very much. The only reason I purchased the MP600 over D3 was because I found a used MP600 with X stiff shaft for $180 (discounted to $150), but I couldn't find any used D3 with X stiff at the shop and I saw a used D3 S stiff going for $400.

So far, I love it. I love the smack sound at impact, similar to Titleist and Bridgestone drivers.

ย 

My previous driver was Ping G2 with Aldila NV65 S flex. Not a bad driver, but my ball was flying way too high, and the MP600 with ProLaunch Red shaft fixed the problem.

I recently got fitted for the MX-700 witht the stock Exsar stiff flex, but after four rounds, I traded it back-in at another store where I found the MP-600 with a UST V2 R-flex shaft.

ย 

The MX was not a bad driver, but I have not adjusted well to the really big head drivers.

ย 

My most recent efforts with drivers were with last year's Srixon and the Titleist 983E. I have also played the Ping G10 with the stock shaft, and smother hooked it constantly.

ย 

I have come to the conclusion that no matter what the numbers on the launch monitor tell you in the store, you have to demo the club for at least a couple of rounds to tell if it will help your game.

ย 

The MX was too stiff for my SS (90-100). The last tournament I tried it out, and could not find a fairway and finished T-14 in a 16 player field. I then played the MP yesterday, after making the change, and I'm pretty geeked about the Fast Track technology. I only had the chance to try out the neutral "3-4" setting on the range, and kept hooking. I pulled out the wrench in front of my playing partners and changed the settings to "3-5" just prior to teeing off. Results: T-5 in a 24 player field, and I won a $50 gift certificate!

ย 

I think I'm going to like this head/shaft combination.

I have played the HiBore XL and XL Tour.

ย 

The short sweet comparison is a matter of style and performance. The HiBores were much more forgiving, and of course, look very un-classic. They are so loud my ears hurt when hitting tee shots.

ย 

The MP-600 is a driver for a player who prefers classic looks, with modern advantages, muted feel. In other words, what you would expect from Mizuno MP's.

ย 

Shaft selection is very important as always.

• 2 weeks later...

MP600 is back in the bag.

ย 

Tried a 909D2 with three different shafts including a real Blueboard, but it couldn't match the play of the Mizuno.

ย 

I find the MP600 much easier to hit high or low (couldn't hit a low ball with the D2 at all). It also looks much squarer and is nicer to my eye.

ย 

Like the kick in the Fuji E360. Might try the BB one day in it.

• 4 weeks later...

I started playing the Mizuno MP-600 a few weeks ago. My previous driver was an Alpha C830.2 12* with Harrison striper J 85 F/S cut down to 44" at a D4 swingweight. I'm a much better ball striker and have a faster swing then I use to so the 12* was just launching to high for me. I picked up the MP-600 10.5* w/fuji e360 R of the clearance rack at Golftown. I prefer a more traditional looking head and I really wanted a driver that was square as I play a draw a miss everything to the left.

Im very happy with this driver so far. It has a nice soft ping sound and looks great at address. One thing I really like about this driver is the head is definitely heavier then the majority of heads available. Off the rack this driver has a swingweight of D5 and it's 45" in length. Every other company seems to be going in the oppsite direction (lighter and longer).

My distance has increased by 5 to 10 yards, but that is mostly due to the lack of roll I had with my previous driver. From what I can tell so far forgiveness is pretty much the same, maybe a little higher then what I was playing before. The only other driver I can compare it to is the Cally Hyper X which might have been a little more forgiving, but not much. I'm pretty confident at hitting the sweet spot on my driver so forgiveness is not a top priority. My swing speed is 95-100MPH and my average drive is around 245 and my best drives are arond 260 to 265 according to my GPS.

I was actally impressed with the stock Fuji e360 even though the R flex was to whippy for me. I wanted to get a S flex, but there weren't any left so I picked up the R flex. I figured I would be reshafting it anyways as I prefer a heavier shaft, so I wasn't too concerned. I'm getting it reshafted with a new GD Pershing 75 S flex and will be going to a lenght of 44.5". I should be able to maintain a D4 to D5 swingweight with the heavier shaft.

I've experimented with the Fast Track weighting system on this driver and have found that they do alter your ball flight a little. It's not a huge change, but it is noticeable. I currrently have the two weights set at the 3 and 5 spots which is a mid spin and very small fade bias. It's also very easy and quick to change the weight settings. I wish the flight pattern card showed all the possible configurations on it though. That would be my one complaint as it only shoes 7 of the possible 15 flight patterns, and I haven't been able to find any documentation showing the other configurations; although, it's not hard to figure them out when looking at the ones that are on the card. I'm not sure why Mizuno wouldn't make this info available on their website in a pdf format to download.

Lastly and the least important is the old school blue and white leather head cover. You either love it or hate and I happen to love it. It stands out in your bag and leather is pretty good quality.

The MP-600. I went to a local fitting centre in the UK to try out the Nippon shafts for irons (which suit my swing and are now in Snake Eyes 695B blades) but I saw the MP-600 and decided to try out on the launch monitor indoors. I was a Titleist user for the past 6 years because of the traditonal shape n sound altho I play off a 2 handicap I always struggled at times for consistancy with the Titleist's. I was impressed how good the MP looked behind the ball very sleek and just as good as any Titleist's.

Never mind about the figures on the launch monitor, as soon as I hit the MP the sound and feel was soooo good that I knew I had to buy it there and then (after doing the launch monitor fitting for the best shaft)

The great thing bout this is the Fast Tracking. Its the most flexible weight system there is out there and the easiest to use, even tho ive not tried any other system but seen them in golf mags. We never swing a club the same way every time we go out to play, and this system can help you before you go out in competitions. What I tend to do is put the settings on the neutral 2-5, and hit balls and see the shape I'm getting. If my swing for that day is producing a pull/hook OR fade/slice I alter the weights to aleviate that problem (I prefer a straight/slight fade) once I get the flight I like it gives you confidence to stand on the first tee knowing what shape of shot your going to play with. The following day the same settings will probably give you a differing flight so you can alter to suit.

The shaft Aldila VS Proto By You is a good shaft but Im looking for the ultimate shaft for my swing and looking at the Nippon NS Pro Tour, has anyone got any experience of this shaft?

Oh and I've done the classic Mizuno blue and white paint refill on the base of the club, looks way better than the black.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got mine last month and have been hitting more fairways (vs. J33r 460). Not as long or as explosive as my J33r but the MP-600 feels like "old reliable" with its E360 stiff shaft. Penetrating mid-high ball flight and i can even hit low flight shots when needed into the wind (got the 9.5* loft). Very stable swinging driver, traditional square look at address and the fast track system helps with getting the ball flight you favor (my settings 2-4 = mid-flight/baby draw). (cool)

• 1 year later...

[quote name='PutteditOB ' timestamp='1208150645' post='1019845']
Well first of all their is a reason this driver has an MP in it's name, it's not the easiest to hit. If you can consistently hit the middle of the face you will benefit. I just got fitted for this driver yesterday and played my first round with it today. Easily the best possible ball flight for my swing speed. The ball gets up and stays there. It feels great, similar to the 905s and sounds solid. Very solid. I love the driver and recommend it to someone who can afford a little forgiveness.
[/quote] I have a 905S right now. I think its not that hot off the face and I can't seem to hit a draw with it. Does the 1 & 2 weight setting on the MP-600 really help enhance the draw? And is the MP-600 more launch and spin or less?

• 3 years later...