What's it like to hit a modern 1 iron? TaylorMade UDI Testing Thread

atursky

Here's the first post in what's sure to be a fun thread. Five GolfWRX Featured Writers and myself received the new TaylorMade UDI 1 iron built to our specs for this testing thread.

We're here to answer your questions the best we can, so fire away!

My new 1 iron

I got my UDI on Friday and had some time over the weekend to take it out on the course and range. Although its a 16-degree 1 iron, I wasn't intimidated by it. The thickness behind the face made the loft tolerable to my eye and it doesn't have that "butter knife" feel that 1 irons usually have.

The launch it produced was more like my 3 or 4 iron, but it was rolling out to about 290 yards (no joke), which is farther than I hit my 3 wood.

On mishits, I was still getting about 240-260 total yards out of it. It's actually really forgiving, which was unexpected given the number "1" written on the club. I felt in control of my trajectory and could hit it low and high. My only problem was turning it right-to-left (I'm a righty). It tended to come out too low and didn't turn as much as I wanted, but at 16 degrees there's nothing earth-shattering about that observation.

Although the sound is a little clunky and hollow, the ball really feels like it bounces off the face with a lot of trampoline-like effect. The power is pretty effortless. I also didn't have too much problem off the turf. I was getting it to fly about 210 or so off the ground and rolled out to about 250.

I normally play True Temper Project X 6.5's in my irons, but went with the slightly lighter Project X PXi 6.5. It matched well with the UDI since I needed the extra speed to help me launch it a bit higher with a little more spin.

Here's some of the technology in the Ultimate Driving Irons based on reports from TaylorMade:

The UDI has a hollow body and a Speed Pocket that measures the same size as seen in the SpeedBlade irons from TaylorMade. This allows the face to flex efficiently and consistently and encourages a high launch. The weight of the club head was moved low and forward due to its engineering, also helping with forgiveness and high launch. The clubs also have a thicker topline than seen in the Tour Preferred MC irons, and the face has a lower profile as well.

Dare I say this club actually does what TaylorMade says it does? The answer is yes.

It's available in lofts of 16 degrees (1 iron), 18 degrees (2 iron) and 20 degrees (3 iron), with the lower lofts probably better left to golfers who are looking for a club to hit off the tee. While I didn't have the opportunity to test the 3 iron, my guess is that it's going to be a great 3-iron replacement for golfers who play TaylorMade's Tour Preferred CB, MC or MB irons, or similar-sized players irons from other manufacturers.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice write-up. Can't wait to try one of these myself!!

Titleist TSi2 9° - Mitsubishi Tensei White 60 X

Ping G400 14.5° - Matrix Black tie 7M3 SG

Ping G400 17.5° - Aldila HM-40 Tour Gold Tour 95 S

Titleist 818 H1 22° - Aldila NV 95 X

Callaway Rogue Pro 4-PW - True Temper XP 95 ST15 S300 (Black)

Vanilla Wedge 50°, 55°, & 60° - KBS 610 Wedge S

Scotty Cameron Golo s5 34"

Member of #teamjetspeed - December 2013

Could be the club that propels Justin Rose, Jason Day or Dustin Johnson to victory.

Read today that Dustin went with a graphite shaft in his.

Any thoughts on graphite vs steel shaft?

Seems this is treated more as an iron as opposed to a hybrid.

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

Here are some pics of my 1 iron -

[attachment=2323391:DSC00141.JPG]
[attachment=2323403:DSC00142.JPG]
[attachment=2323405:DSC00143.JPG]
[attachment=2323439:DSC00144.JPG]
[attachment=2323457:DSC00146.JPG]
[attachment=2323459:DSC00149.JPG]

Honestly, I never in my life thought I would bag a 1 iron - but then again, this isn't your run of the mill, everyday, generic 1 iron - I'm sure there are some people out there who are sick and tired of TM releasing an awful lot of products this year, but hey, when they perform this well, I'm reminded of one of my (least) favorite movies of 2000..."Bring It ON!!!"

For a cast club with some hollow elements, I had pretty low expectations for the feel - but honestly, it was really pretty good - It wasn't butter, but pured shots felt really, really good -

At 16*, I got total distance which surpassed my 3 wood b/c it hit the ground hot - It launched significantly higher than a typical iron and trajectory felt a lot like my 4 and 5 irons...but I swear the thing carried 235-250 and I had one downhill par 4 where it ran out well over 300 yards...Now for a target golf course where you want a ball to carry and stick, this probably won't be a great club - But if you're looking for a fairway finding machine and you don't really get along with hybrids/fairway metals off the tee, I'd really give the UDI a look -

In shallow/dry rough it did fairly well and hit some pretty low bullets...but for me, I still prefer how a hybrid cuts through the heavier/deeper grass -

I haven't hit all of the driving iron type clubs on the market, but the two with which I'm most familiar (712U and Callaway X utility) - I'd put the UDI ahead of both of them - It's more forgiving than the 712 and I just liked the look a bit more than the X utility, although that's one heck of a club as well -

I had a KBS Tour S+ in my 1 iron and if I wanted to bring the trajectory down even more, I could go slightly stiffer or with something more like a C Taper, but given how low the spin is already, the KBS Tour was a really solid match for me -

The topline is thick at address, but not crazy thick and for a club with low-forward COG, I didn't find it to be that unforgiving - It wasn't as forgiving as a 3 wood or hybrid, but thin shots turned out ok and stayed on line quite well - The toe miss was the most punished, but then again, if you're missing this club toe-side, you might want to bag something else -

[quote name='atursky' timestamp='1405383994' post='9701079']
[quote name='OneTime16' timestamp='1405381793' post='9700851']
Any comparison to the 712u's?
[/quote]

I've never tested one. Hopefully one of the other testers can answer this!
[/quote]

I found the UDI to be a bit more forgiving than the 712 - That was the most noticeable difference for me...launch was maybe a bit higher as well...

Andrew I'm sure you kill that UDI. I can't wait to see / try one!

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

Photos of my 1-Iron

photo-11-e1405383162318.jpg

photo-21-e1405383216706.jpg

photo-31-e1405383259207.jpg

photo-41-e1405383302832.jpg

photo-51-e1405383341253.jpg

Like Andrew, I received my 1-Iron on Friday and headed to the range about 20 minutes after the packaged arrived. I also got to the course over the weekend and put it in play. Built at +1/4" and 1up, I went with the KBS C-Taper Lite in S-flex (I have the same in my SLDRs).

Let me start by saying I'm no where near as long as Andrew... he's crazy long! Alright, I had to get that out of the way.

My gut reaction looking at this club is that it doesn't look like a traditional 1-iron. There is plenty of meat behind the face and at 16º with the way it sits behind the ball, you still get the feeling you will be able to launch shots in the air. Basically, I felt like I actually had a chance to get shots off the ground.

Even with the visual confidence, I was really curious how it would launch. It did not disappoint. Like Andrew, I had no problem getting the ball in the air. The launch was a little lower than my SLDR 4i, flew for days and rolled out nicely. Like I said, I don't have his distance, but I was flying shots on the range 235 with significant rollout from there. Same on the course. For me, this club sits between my 3-hybrid and fairway wood. What I like though, is that I didn't have a single shot get away from me like a fairway or even a hybrid could. I can overcook both those clubs, putting me in trouble, but all my solid hits with the 1-Iron had a nice straight to tiny draw shape to them that would keep me in even the narrowest fairways. Even though I launch my hybrid a little lower than some, this 1-Iron was even a bit lower. It got up easily, but not too far up and when it hit the ground it rolled for days.

Don't get me wrong, I can and did mishit this club. As expected, more mishits and less distance off the turf than off a tee. Toe hits were more penalizing for me and distance dropped to the 200 mark on the worst of them (extreme toe side) with more right to left movement as expected. Still in the fairway, but that distance is pretty short. That was the extreme. Subtle mishits were very forgiving, surprisingly so for a 1-iron.

I really liked the feel off the face, which reminded me more of the solid hit of my 4i than what I expected a 1-iron to feel like. Very powerful and springy off the center and plenty of feedback.

I went into the test with an open mind and left very impressed. This club is staying in the bag, but I do want to test the 2-iron and really compare the performance, weighing total distance against any additional forgiveness a couple more degrees might offer. I plan to use this primarily off the tee in place of a hybrid or fairway when I really need to keep the ball in play, so I'll stick with either the 1 or the 2-iron.

Review UDI

Thank you Taylormade Golf and Golfwrx for including me in this testing. Love this site and love giving back to the community.

First and formost I want to tell you guys I am a fan of driving irons. I have the Callaway from a couple years ago and also a R9TP 2 iron that I shafted with a Fubuki Axe. That R9TP has served me very well over the last 2 years. I play a quite a few tournaments per season and it has been my fairway finder on some of the tighter venues. The Callaway always left me with a feeling of something lacking. Never really liked the ballflight, and really never liked the fact you can see the cavity bump out from address.

This leads us to my experience with the new Taylormade UDI 1 iron. I got mine from Taylormade shafted with a Steelfiber 110 stiff shaft, playing at a length of 39.5", standard lie and swingweighting at D1. I received it today and have not get to play with it yet. I will be taking it out tomorrow morning. I did however get to have a session in my garage utilizing my Forsight GC2. Before we get into that I would like to go over the appearance of the club. Taylormade has hit this one out of the park. Perfect size heel to toe, meaty top line for some confidence (I mean we are talking about a 16* 1 iron here), and limited offset. I love the set up, less offset then my R9TP,  but roughly the same size. You can not see the cavity bump at all from address. It really is a beautiful golf club.

Now down to the data. I warmed up with some shots going up through the bag. After 50 or so balls, I got to the UDI. I have tried the Steelfiber before with limited sucess, usually fight a bit of a hook with the shaft. I'm just not too keen on the feel of the shaft. Don't really like how it releases, kick point etc. the numbers show this as well. I hit my R9TP with a little better ballspeeds, usually around 145-146. With that said, I am still pretty impressed with 142 ball speed with this club set up, especially when the spin is sub 3000. I was hitting off a short tee, basically the same as I would for any iron off a tee. I found that heel shots lost around 4-5 miles per hour while toe shots lost about 2-3. Shots low on the face seemed to perform very well, as I only saw a 2-3 mph drop on ball speed there as well. I was actually pretty surprised with the launch angle, I was consistently getting numbers around 11-14*, very good for a 1 iron. With the carry numbers I was getting which were in the mid 230's, I would expect to hit this a total of 260ish with the spin numbers where they are. We will see tomorrow.

I will be reporting back tomorrow in this same post after my round. I will let you guys know how it plays in real world golf.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
Scotty Newport Select

[quote name='BIGDUB512' timestamp='1405387089' post='9701419']
How was the turf interaction when hitting a stinger shot? Were you able to keep it as low as you wanted when trying to hit that kind of shot?
[/quote]

I had no problem keeping it low - I basically just took a 3/4 swing and played it a bit back in my stance and played it kind of like you'd play any other knockdown shot...great wind ball!

[quote name='BIGDUB512' timestamp='1405387089' post='9701419']
How was the turf interaction when hitting a stinger shot? Were you able to keep it as low as you wanted when trying to hit that kind of shot?
[/quote]

I thought it cut through the turf nicely, especially for a 1-iron. To be honest though, I likely won't pull it from the bag off the ground as much as off the tee. I could flight shots low and high pretty easily, with my low stinger shot flying where I would expect it to.

Photos of my 1-Iron

photo-51-e1405383341253.jpg

I went into the test with an open mind and left very impressed. This club is staying in the bag, but I do want to test the 2-iron and really compare the performance, weighing total distance against any additional forgiveness a couple more degrees might offer. I plan to use this primarily off the tee in place of a hybrid or fairway when I really need to keep the ball in play, so I'll stick with either the 1 or the 2-iron.

I've seen my fair share of hybrid/driving irons and that looks really nice in the address position, really nice. Also, I'm curious to see how the 18* would fare too, I'm not sure I have the swing for a 16* iron.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

From the write ups, the UDI is a lot more forgiving than it looks. So when do us GolfWRX mortals get our hands on one?

Ping G430 Max 10K, 10.5*, Ventus Velocore TR Red 5R

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

Titleist 2023 T200 Irons, 4-PW, 48*, TT AMT Black R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

I have the MC's, and have grown tired of people on here who talk about the feel of the cast 3-7 irons, when they haven't really played the clubs.

These irons, as a result of either the softer cast material or the slot (or combination of both) feel as good as any irons I have ever played.

As for the UDI, I may consider the 2 iron, but to paraphrase a statement used by NRA members about their weapons, you will have to pry my cold, dead fingers off my MC 3 iron and 4 iron. They might be my favorite clubs in the set!

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

Hello, all. Your intrepid Featured Writer and occasional lightning rod here.

I know I bear the scarlet "L" of forum lurker, but be assured that this post marks my start of, well, actually posting (which I'm sure at least two or three of you may actually be excited about).

Anyway, I was lucky enough to get the not for UDI testing and received a 16-degree 1-iron in the mail Friday. The 1-degree upright beauty is equipped with a KBS TOUR C-Taper Lite shaft (stiff).

My colleagues have all detailed club performance in as good of detail as I could ever hope to, so I just want to share a few observations.[list]
[*]As a lover of the Mizuno Fli-Hi, this club was right up my alley. If you're a blade-and-woods-only purist, a "driving iron" is conceptually repugnant. Even if the concept turns your stomach, this club is worth test driving not because of its function out of the fairway, but because of the combination of distance and moderate forgiveness off the tee which my fellow writers have outlined. Simply, this UDI will replace your hybrid off the tee and maybe your 3-wood as well, depending on how you hit that club.
[*]TMag hits the note of balancing the appearance of an iron at address without looking like a horrifying butter knife from the 1970s. As you can see from the photos the top is brushed, but there is the faintest site of the chrome-ish rear of the club, so its confidence-inspiring at address without having a game-improvement look.
[*]The most coherent thing I can say about feel is that it's very similar to the RocketBladez with more vibration on mishits. Well struck shots feel like the combination of a pured hybrid and RocketBladez mid-iron (go figure).
[*]Obviously, in my case, the shaft's color contributed to the overall iron-ness. Basically, I felt like I was standing over my 3-iron...the ball just flew 30 yards farther.
[*]I think what players are looking for with this club is something that's more accurate than a hybrid or wood and flies a little lower with decent workability to use primarily off the tee. To this end, TaylorMade has hit a note.
[*]As of now, I've only hit the club in a session at GolfTec, which I'm happy to share more about. However, I assume you'd all rather hear more from the better players. (I did not carry my 16-degree UDI 230 yards off the mat, more like 200 or 210).
[/list]
I have more (inane) thoughts about the club, which I'm happy to share in the morning when my brain is hopefully a bit more functional.

Photos from my UDI unboxing below.

Every time is see a pic of this thing I feel my pocket getting lighter. I'm going to dump my dhy for this thing. I've knocked TM in the past but this year I ended up with an SLDR and TP Wedges

Tour Issue 8.5* Ping G400 LST w/ Ventus Red 6s (RIP)

Ping G430 LST 9* w/ AutoFlex 505xx
Ping G430 LST 3 Wood w/ GD AD-HD 7s
19* Taylormade Sim Max Hybrid w/ Tensei Pro White 90s
22* Tour Issue Srixon Z H85 w/ Tensei Pro White 90s
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW Accra i-Series 115
Mizuno Pro 223 GW 50*
Cobra Snakebite 55* & 59*
Odyssey White-Hot OG 7s  

[quote name='DickieThon' timestamp='1405386055' post='9701315']
I'm curious to know if there's any difference between this 1 iron and one of the other driving 2 irons bent strong, i.e. I have an MP Fli-Hi bent to 16*
[/quote]

I have both. The fli hi is big and by design flights much higher and does not get the ball speed or forgiveness of the UDI. The UDI is a much cleaner look and while not forged still gives you a great feel when hit anywhere on the face. It's really really good. Knocked my dHy out of the bag in 3 swings.

New Bag in the making...

This looks like it would be a good battle against the new Nike MM prototype driving iron, that one looks very promising as well. Any chance of a driving iron battle in the future?

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

[quote name='TaylorMadeLuv' timestamp='1405393125' post='9702101']
[quote name='DickieThon' timestamp='1405386055' post='9701315']
I'm curious to know if there's any difference between this 1 iron and one of the other driving 2 irons bent strong, i.e. I have an MP Fli-Hi bent to 16*
[/quote]

I have both. The fli hi is big and by design flights much higher and does not get the ball speed or forgiveness of the UDI. The UDI is a much cleaner look and while not forged still gives you a great feel when hit anywhere on the face. It's really really good. Knocked my dHy out of the bag in 3 swings.
[/quote]

Other than aesthetics, etc. I think the biggest difference with the UDI is the blazing ball speeds...pound for pound, the UDI will probably be a bit longer