Kiawah in 2 Weeks

Heading down to Kiawah in 2 weeks and trying to get course opinions and pricing. Anyone been down there around this time and can speak for pricing? We'll be playing 3-4 times with the Ocean Course obviously being one. I know Osprey Point is closed for renovations but would love to hear everyone's opinion on the others. I heard that they do offer a replay rate which can get you out on the Ocean for $175. Anyone taken advantage of that?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill be there next week. Played Turtle Point many times, nice course with 3 holes on the ocean. Playing Ocean and Turtle this time around. If you are staying at the resort or on the Island the cost is 259.00 in the afternoon for Ocean. Not sure about Turtle right now. This time of year you should have no issues with tee times. Very hot and not the same crowds in July.

New York Jets

I worked at one of the courses on Kiawah a few years back, the better courses in my opinion are The Ocean and Cougar. If you play the Ocean definitely take a caddie and at the minimum walk. You'd walk more with a cart as they are not allowed on the course and its an easy walk except from the clubhouse to 1 and form 9 to 10 but their is a shuttle. Turtle did have the best greens but I think is overrated. You can only see the ocean from one of the tees on the short par four (I forget what #) and a little for the last par three. Cougar is a great set up, some challenging holes and some good dog legs that can be taken advantage of. You start at the clubhouse and don't come back till the 18th. Usually in the best shape of the four other courses and cheaper as well. IIRC its Ocean, Osprey, Turtle, Cougar and Oak respectively in price. Oak isn't bad by all means either, its a tighter course with some weird holes that you lay up to lay up. It's been hot and muggy as hell here as of late with very little rain. Hope this helps.

Jay

Not all who wander are lost.

M1 440 8.5 Kuru Kage X
TEE cb2 15 X
Taylormade M1 5 wood speeder S
Cobra amp cell pro 3-pw X100
Cobra Tour Trusty 53-58 X100
T.P Mills RS

Have to agree with Jay. Cougar Point is my favorite behind the Ocean (I liked it more than Osprey). Turtle is definitely overrated, even with their greens being typicalIy some of the better the resort courses have to offer. Oak is no slouch for the price, just can't hold it to the same standard as the other courses. If you play the Ocean in the AM, try to cash in on the replay rate at any of the resort courses (one round a day at the ocean is enough for me). If you can pull any strings get on Cassique and the River Course. I liked Cassique more than the Ocean Course to be perfectly honest.

I played there in May and we took advantage of the replay rate on Ocean. We were able to set it up prior to our visit and played 36 in one day on the Ocean. It is a bit of a drive from the Ocean to the other courses and I heard rounds take longer on the Ocean, which they did, so I'm glad we did them back to back. Wind was up for the afternoon round so the course played much different than in the morning. All of the other courses we played comfortably in 3.5 to 4 hours but the Ocean took almost 5. We were only held up on a couple of holes but having one caddy per 2 bags, shuttle transport from 9 to 10, people taking in the scenery, etc. it definitely took longer to play so take that into account if you are playing 36.

All of the courses at the resort had a reduced rate for a replay round.

Played the OC Sunday and the greens were nearly back to ideal shape. They were punched about three weeks ago but are rolling quite nicely. Course is in amazing shape and I highly recommend walking, we rode and I honestly think it would have been just as fast to ride. Play well!

Stealth Plus 9* Ventus black 7x

Sim 2 Max Ventus red 8x
T200 3 tour issue x100
T100 4-W tour issue X100
Tour Rack RTX 50, 55, 60 tour issue s400
Tour Rat 

Local guy here. Lots of rain the last couple of weeks from what I understand. Just got back in town yesterday and haven't been out yet, so no idea of course conditions. A shame Osphey and Turtle closed. Do agree Oak is worth playing as well. If you can find a way on Cassique at Seabrook by all means do so. Lots of other places to play in the area as well.

I played there last week. I played the Ocean Course twice, it was in great shape. The pace of play was fine, played in a little over 4 hours with a foursome teeing off at 8am each time. Walked with a caddie both times, don't see the point of riding with a forecaddie on that course. The no-see-ums ate me up on the last round though.....agree with taking bug spray.

Played Cougar point, it was in good shape. Not my favorite of the courses, but worth playing. I played Turtle Point and it's probably my 2nd favorite of the courses down there (tied with Osprey which is closed right now). I know some don't like Turtle that much, but it was in identical shape to Cougar and I like the more straightforward tee shots on that course compared to Cougar/Oak. What you see is what you get. If you can drive it straight (and preferably long) you can play the course well. Oak Point was in the worst shape, but not bad and I really liked the course, definitely more of a target course layout. The greens looked terrible but they rolled pretty well. I shot 73 there with 4 balls in the water......lots of hidden hazards there and I would REALLY recommend a yardage book. 3 of the 4 water balls were what I thought were good shots and I either didn't see the hazard or mis-judged the distance to it. There were a TON of alligators on Oak Point, way more than any of the others if that interests you.

Finally, got lucky enough to get on Briar's Creek. It's private, but they need members and it gets little play so you might be able to swing a round there. If you can you should. It's easily well ahead of anything I played besides the Ocean Course.

[quote name='wrayner' timestamp='1405709356' post='9729965']Thanks for all of the info. Looks like we're playing twice at Oak, once at Cougar and then the Ocean. Better to try and mix in Turtle? I keep hearing mixed reviews on it.[/quote]

I would go ahead and replace one of the rounds at Oak with Turtle. If you are going to be there, it isn't that much more mulah and by no means is it a bad course. At the end of it, then you can be the final judge of Turtle compared to the others. Just my .02

[quote name='wrayner' timestamp='1405709356' post='9729965']
Thanks for all of the info. Looks like we're playing twice at Oak, once at Cougar and then the Ocean. Better to try and mix in Turtle? I keep hearing mixed reviews on it.
[/quote]

I would try to get Turtle in if you can. We had 10 guys on this trip and 4 or 5 didn't care for Turtle while several (including me) really liked it. It is straightforward off the tee for the most part and a long-straight driver is your friend. I hit a lot more fairway woods and hybrids off the tee on Oak, Cougar and Ocean because you are hitting to spots so much more often. Working Turtle in with those 3 other courses is worth it for the change up alone.