2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Callaway Big Bertha Diablo

Looks terrible, but flat out performs. The neutral actually measures .5° open. Hot face, and a really solid feel. I think it will be a bigger winner for them. I can't wait to see the TH version of it.

If there ever was a category for it: Most fun driver to hit.

It looks like hell, seriously. However, when I demo'd it the day it came out, it was a lot of fun to hit. Very hot face. It's just one of those drivers that doesn't have a lot of frills, but is just diesel when you want to boom one.

Cobra Fly Z+ 8.5* w/ Diamana D+ 70x
Tour Edge CB Pro 14.5* w/ Speeder 757x
Mizuno MP-H4 2i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z+ 3i-5i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z Pro 6-PW w/ C-Taper 130
Callaway MD2 50*/S and 56*/T
Bettinardi Sabbatini Flow Neck Proto
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/145720-jakebarnes-witb-updated-828/page__hl__%20jakebarnes"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And while the Diablo is a slightly different looking driver (no where near as heinous as Titleist's D1), agreed that it is stupid easy to hit off the tee.

So much so that after using it for two weeks and then seeing the Callaway clip where Rocco Mediate throws a ball down and hits it off the deck, I was curious and tried the same thing last Sunday and damn if it did not work for me too! I pulled it again after the initial success and went 2/2.

I'm pressed to think of other 460cc drivers which would be suitable for an average golfer to use for second shots off the fairway? The Diablo works!

I have been itching to try this driver for months and finally got the chance today and was majorly underwhelmed. Descent distance, but not very forgiving at all. It was very similar to my Nickent Supermag...hits off the toe ballooned to the right with a big fade/slice. It was a little longer (5-10 yards) then my Nickent Square and about 5-10 yards shorter then the Supermag, but with the same poor flight for me as my Supermag. Someone handed me a Cleveland Monster and I immedately hated the look...but if I can adjust to the crappy look of the Nickent Square I knew I could adjust to anything. The Cleveland Monster was LOUD and horrible sounding, just like my square, but was much more forgiving then the Diablo.

So in a fight...the Monster defeats the Diablo hands down. Monster was longer by about 5 yards and much, much straighter. Forgiveness was not even a question as the Monster just out-performed for my swing. I did not buy one but may within a month or so.

• 2 weeks later...

I tested the follwing clubs at a Demo today after a rain storm and it was cold and windy (blowing straight at me). It was a sunny day in the mid 60's prior to the storm and around 50 degress aftwards. The storm hit 10 mins before my scheduled session. I currently fight a weak slice and I am in the process of correcting that by a couple of means (shortening my backswing and keeping my right elbow tucked in close on my downswing). I'm letting you guys know this because I'm sure it had an effect on the different clubs.

Diablo Draw 10 Reg. Flex : If you're a slicer, this club will give you a draw. It took my weak slice and straighten it out. Quite a few times though I hit a strong draw with it, a little too strong, varying btwn 10 - 25 yards. On the positive side though, you dont have to fear the right side of a course again. I hit one shot on the toe and it straightend out so fast I didn't believe it. The ball traveled dead straight about 220 yards and with about 10 yards roll. The fitter asked me, was that off the toe? I said yeah and I was shocked how fast it straightened up. This club does perform. It's a little "odd" looking but not outright ugly. Sometimes beauty is on inside (cliche') and this club is internally gorgeous. Its probably not the club for you veteran guys but if your new to game, have not broken 100 and fighting a slice like me, you have a winner right here. This baby will keep you in the fairway and out of the right side woods. This club is my 2nd choice, when considering purchasing.

09 Cleveland Launcher 10.5 Reg Flex Gold: I loved this club. This club was easiest to set up with. I stepped up and bombed it, time and time again. It performed pretty well in not overeacting to my weak slice swing flaw. A few balls ended up in a bad position but I attribute that to being mostly my fault, because I lost my swing focus. Every time I focused on fixing my slice (see above) I was right back to bombing away. I'm reeaaaallly thinking about purchasing this club. This club is my 1st choice.

09 Cleveland Monster XLS 10.5 Reg Flex Gold: I had major trouble with this club. It was awkward to me when attempting to set up. I was really looking forward to trying this club. I sliced it, hooked it and almost grounded one. I really think the length of the head gave me trouble visually. I'm willing to try it again on another day but today was not my day with this club. I was never really comfortable with it, even after a brief break to get my focus back.

This is my first post and I know its a little long. Feel free to give "constructive criticism".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Went to a Calaway demo on may 8 looking for a 3 wood, i hit FT9 with different shafts ,hit the IQ straight no matter what kind of swing and hit the Diablo.I hit a low to medium height ball off of my R7 SQ, same with the FT9. The Diablo 9 degree stiff shaft went higher and further than anything i hit.the 3 wood felt just as good.i now have the in my bag, a deal thats hard to refuse

Well, the Diablo is one of the top selling drivers on the market atm. For the average golfer, it works great.

I draw the ball so I do not like hitting it (even the STD version is a bit draw bias) but the Tour Authentic Tour Hosel with the true White Board in it... :good:

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased the diablo I hit both the draw and the neutral. I don't have any problem going right off the tee so I thought the neutral would work but I hit the draw further and my groups were a lot tighter with the draw. I just hope I don't start to have a problem going left.

[size=2][b][i][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]2016 TaylorMade M2 10.5 Handcrafted Hzrdus Red 62g
Cobra F7 3-4 Aldila Tour Blue 75g
Corba F7 5-6 Aldila Tour Blue 75g
Ping G25 4-LW KBS Tour[/font][/i][/b][/size]
[size=2][b][i][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Odyssey Protype Black #9[/font][/i][/b][/size]

• 2 weeks later...

For all the talk about it being ugly......who cares!

Actually, I love the way it sets up. It is very pleasing to my eye, and now that I have gotten in on the course and hit a few bombs I would not want to look down at any other club head. I went to the Diablo (9 degree neutral, stiff DVS shaft) from the original Hibore (9.5 degree, stiff ProForce V2 65). It might just be that the Diablo head/shaft combo was ideal for my swing (103-106mph, good tempo) but I gained a LOT of distance over the Hibore, and I felt like I had a lot more control. I also tried the Tour Burner, Burner TP, R7 Limited TP, FT9, Titleist D2, and Launcher. I hit the Diablo far and away best of the bunch. The ball gets up high and seems to just explode off of the clubface. It is a ton of fun to hit!

It is a high launch that flattens out nicely, but if you natually hit the ball high I would consider the 8 degree.

I got the free 18 degree Diablo hybrid with the driver and I love this club as well!

The highlight was hitting a 545 par 5 in 2 (driver, 2H) and 2 putting for bird. :partytime2:

• 4 weeks later...

Even though I'm the new guy... I'm going to stick my neck out and say that the Diablo is probably the coolest looking driver on the market.eek.gif I get that it's a total 180 from the classical driver, but even if you look at the marketing materials that go with it, it's clearly aimed at a different crowd who wants something high-tech looking.

I had a chance to test out both the neutral and draw versions with standard Aldilla shafts in a regular flex. Oddly enough the neutral version I demo'd at a driving range didn't have any marker on top to help you center the ball, although the draw version did.

This is clearly a club meant for high handicappers who want to grip it and rip it, as even the neutral version has a bit of a draw bias built in. I tried the draw version which mitigated my severe slice, but shortly thereafter learned how to fix my slice. Now even the neutral one produces a draw or hook for me. Distance was average, I was kind of expecting more since it seemed like such a cool product. The feel is great, and a friend who was with me was blown away by it after 1 swing.

I also tried out the 2 hybrid and the 3 fairway wood in regular shafts and had the same experience. Even the neutral versions tend to produce a draw/hook and the distance is average (as compared to my cheapo Ram clubs)

I found the older Hyper-X from Callaway to be much more forgiving. As well it produces a much more satisfying sound (like hitting a baseball with an aluminum bat) whereas this one sounds a little more muffled to me.

• 2 weeks later...

For the money, I couldn't beat the Diablo 10*. I played 7 rounds with 6 drivers and it was by far the longest starightest and most importanly CONSISTENT. I test drove several high end drivers and the Diablo out performed it. I've been golfing for almost 20 years (with a 5 year hiatus during my first marriage) and now that I'm back, I'm amazed at the technology improvements.

I'm pretty old school, but I can't see why so many people won't hit a high quality club that looks "Bad". Really?! There are so many UGLY products out there, how can you bash the "Panini Bottom". I now out drive all my friends with their $550 titleists and taylor mades and ft-iq's.

The ball flat out launcehs off the face straight.

Gre8!!! driver i really don´t understand why the people think that the face is ugly? what they have in their brain?, i have tried a lot of driver, G5, g10, tour exotics, exotic XCG, Cobra, Titlest 907, 909, FTI, FT-IQ, R9, sumo dymo2 and this driver at the set-up fell just fit great!, really nice looking and beauty shaft. Long and straight.

My ranking in driver are:

1.- Tour exotics: long, long long, great feeling at the hit, need forgiven, and upgrade (2004)

2.- G5: very similar to tour exotics, few yards less +/- 20 y

3.- Diablo: long and straight, but not as exotics and g5

4.- R9: the best taylor

5.- Exotics XCG: winner in distance, however the ball flight to low, and more difficult to contol than the 1° version

6.- 907 - 909 : are the same but looking improve

7.- FT - IQ: nice driver, long and straight, good looking shaft, however it seems "manta ray" at the address

8.- G10 : The G5 is better however and they are very similar seems clone, the color shaft and headcover awful!

9.- Cobra: mmmm nothing special, the shaft and the headcover are hot only

10.- FTi: in average is good, however you must play with aerphones coz the sound is umbearable!!

11.- Dymo 2: terrible, hight flight, too slice. seems to be a plastic driver for a kid, comparated with the most solid drivers head.

If you are looking for drivers, I recomend to see this list before to buy one!!

cheers,

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful driver!!!!!!!!! I say that because any driver, or any club that performers really well for me is beautiful! Are we golfers or fashion experts? The first page is full of posts from guys who sound like GQ wannabes, lol.

I hit the 3-wood last week, immediately bought it and ordered the driver. Both perform exceptionally. I own the Callaway line and the TM line from the past few years and this outperforms them all. If I want style ladies, I will do it with my Ecco shoes, lol. As one other true golfer said in this thread, he'd hit a shoebox if it performed well for him.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='joegolf68' post='1882061' date='Aug 12 2009, 01:34 AM']Beautiful driver!!!!!!!!! I say that because any driver, or any club that performers really well for me is beautiful! Are we golfers or fashion experts? The first page is full of posts from guys who sound like GQ wannabes, lol.[/quote]
Yeah, but at some point you have to be abl to look down at the club without hurling all over your tee! :bad: LOL. and it's funny that I found this ugly, but I really love the FT-iQ (it's the best square driver IMO and one of the best overall)! Anyways, I haven't looked at this in a while, so I thought the N version was a little rounder. It's too bad because I found a great deal on the bay: a 9* N with Prolaunch Red stiff at $106 with 12 hours left in the auction. I'll try to find more pleasing photos of this because it looks like a solid performer!

**testing several drivers right now** 😉
Adams XTD Ti Fairway Woods, 15* and 18* with **testing** X-Stiff Shafts
Adams XTD Ti Hybrid, 20* (set to 21*) with **testing** X-Stiff Hybrid Shaft
Adams CMB Irons, 4-PW with KBS Tour FLT Black 120 Stiff Shafts
TaylorMade Milled Grind Wedges, 52-12* (bent to 54*) and 58-12* (bent to 60*) with KBS Tour 125 Black Wedge Shafts

Odyssey O-Works Black #7 Tank, 36" with SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 CounterCore Grip

backup: STX Sync Series 8 Putter (Red Face Insert), 35" with SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 CounterCore Grip

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1231030620' post='1404022']
Big Bertha Diablo

4 Piece Titanium, Hyperbolic Face Cup Edge Technology moves weight to optimize CG.

Draw and Neutral head shapes (Edge moves heelward for draw bias).

Aldila DVS Shaft

[attachment=708425:Callaway Diablo.jpg]

[/quote]They came out the following year with Octane and it is a great driver. could not find any tests on it.