Callaway X 460

The all-titanium driver redesigned from the ground up for better ball speed and deeper drives.

Callaway Golf engineers incorporated everything they know about all-titanium drivers into the new X460 Driver. At 460cc, this new driver combines a CT/VFT face, a consistent alignment sole and patented Callaway Golf technologies. This combination of technologies makes the X460 the longest all-titanium driver Callaway Golf has ever made. The unique sole design allows a larger, more stable clubhead and a larger face - more than 10% larger than the face of the Big Bertha 454 Driver.

X-Sole Design

With Callaway Golf's new X-Sole design, the clubhead rests on two distinct points of the sole, preventing any rocking back and forth for consistent alignment to your intended target.

Patented Callaway Golf Technologies - S2H2 and Tru-Bore

Short Straight Hollow Hosel (S2H2) allows Callaway Golf's engineers to take the useless weight found in the hosel and reposition it in the clubhead where you need it most, allowing you to hit the ball harder without swinging harder. Tru-Bore means the shaft is closer to the hitting area, providing better feel and clubhead control.

CT/VFT Face

The CT/VFT face creates ball speed up to the USGA limits of characteristic time. With a more robust face, the new X460 creates more consistent distance - even on off-center shots.

Ultra-High-Tech Manufacturing Process

The titanium face is robotically plasma-welded to the body, ensuring that the face thickness is controlled to a very tight tolerance for consistent performance.

Greater Clubhead Stability

The 460cc head size allows Callaway Golf engineers to move more weight to the perimeter of the clubhead to increase the Moment of Inertia, making it the most forgiving all-titanium driver ever from Callaway Golf.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got my X460 9* w/ Aldila NV 65S today and took it to the range and hit it side by side with my GBBII 9* Firm. It is going to take some getting used to but I already know that when I put a good swing on it it will go. Bad swings go OK and stay in play. I hit it at a demo day and it was great. Interesting and a little concerning is that it didn't seem to pick up any consistant yardage over the GBBII when I hit them back to back but I think that's a result of comfort levels. Man that 460cc makes my 380cc GBBII look small. Then I held it up to my 20 year old Burner Plus steel shaft and 40 year old MacGregor Tourney persimmons and wondered how I ever hit those.

The one thing I have consistantly heard about the X 460 is it is loud and that is correct.

I will update this review when I've had a little more experience with it.

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Graphite 
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

Just wondering, with the face angle a little closed, did you find this driver easier to draw? My miss is usually to the right, I tend to come over it a bit out of fear of the right side. My Callaway vft pro series 3 wood is the exact opposite. I kill that thing with a straight to drawing ballflight. I just need a driver I can do the same with.

Titleist 917D3 9.5
Titleist 917F2 13.5d
Titleist 818H2 17d. hybrid
Mltizuno JPX-850 forged 4-pw
Scratch 8620 53d..
Odyssey white hot tour #2

I'm not sure because I just hit it on the range yesterday. I'm playing tomorrow and will have a better feel. I was able to hit a cut on the range if I put cut swing on it though and I can snap one left on command.

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Graphite 
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

Likes: With a face that is 2º Closed vs my old driver that was square, and I think this made a world of difference. My old driver (BB 454) I would miss to the right, it wasn't a bad slice, by it was still enough to make me think twice about taking it out of the bag. I just played my second round with this driver, and the results were as good as the first, I feel so confident everytime I take this out of the bag and I have never felt that way about a driver.

The Consistent Alignment Sole really works. My consistency in distance seems to be increasing as I tend to drive within 10 - 15 yards of each shot. I had an issue with delofting my club at address with my BB454, so my 10º was more like and 8.5º making my distances all over the place.

Dislikes: Only 2 issue with this club, and neither of them are that important. The Callaway stock grips are horrible and too thin. I think they gear them for children b/c I don't have large hands and they are definately too thin for me. Second gripe is the cheesy headcover. The protection around the shaft is so thin compared to last years model.

Summary: I can ony say good things about Callaway Drivers (except the ERC Fusion) and this driver is no different. Each year I think the Callaway offerings get better and better starting from the Great Big Bertha II to the new X460, and I've owned them all. I demo'ed one for 18 holes at my local course and hit 10 out of 13 fairways using it, and the 3 misses were not that far off the fairway and definately playable. At the end of that round I had decided that this is the replacement for my old Driver and headed over to my local Golf Shop and picked one up. Between being 2º Closed and the use of the Consistent Alignment Sole, this clubs seems to really mask many of my swing flaws. Also, this thing is LOUD! Not cheesy Walmart Special Driver loud, more like powerful loud.... I like it :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been a Callaway fan and owner of many of their past products. Many have been setting cutting edge industry standards and a few have failed. When I read what they were doing with the X 460 I was very excited and thought they had nailed it once again. When I saw it I was positive they had another winner. It is a beautiful looking club.

After hitting the X 460 on different occasions I became increasingly disappointed. When hitting the sweet spot the ball flies and has a nice crisp sound most of the time. When I don't hit it dead on it makes a loud clank and doesn't generate anywhere near the distance. Guess this is my punishment for a bad swing. Tried it on another day and had the same results. Looks like my Cobra stays in the bag. I can hit it anywhere on the face with good results.

• 2 months later...

My friend has one of these and absolutely murders the ball a good 30-50 yards past his old driver (Taylor Made 200 steel- he doesn't buy new clubs too often lol). It goes high, and dead straight with a slight draw. I tried it and it didn't perform the best for me, but I shouldn't be using a 9* driver with a stiff Fujikura shaft- if he had a 10 or 11* with a regular shaft, I'd probably kill it too, I just had a hard time getting his up in the air. Still gave it a good rating because of the results it's given him.

Carry a X Tour 10.5 (last 6 months) and am very happy with the performance and accuracy. The ball always seems to hit the ground "ticked off" and roll out another 5-10 yards more than expected. Some comment on the sound positive and negative; I care more about the feel and it gives plenty of feedback.

It is not as workable as my previous drivers, mostly because of increased size. But it today's world of aim and bomb golf, it works well.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I gave this driver a 4. It's a good driver i.e. long enough, straight enough, feels okay, etc. But, I can't find anything special about it. My X460 is has 10 degree loft and an Aldilla NVS stiff shaft. My average drive with this driver so far is 260 yards. I find working left/right or right/left fairly uncontrollable if I depend on my swing. Moving the ball backward or forward in my stance, however, makes for a sweet draw or fade.

I am coming off of a 15 year layoff from golf. The last driver I used was a Ben Hogan wooden driver with a stiff steel shaft and real whipping at the hozel. I'd played that same driver for about 13 years or so. That's probably why I don't really care for the GI drivers so much. A larger sweet spot doesn't do much for me other than making the club look like a minivan on a stick :drinks:.

With that disclaimer, I'd say this club will give just about anyone good service. It's just not a 5.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I got this driver about 10 days ago. I've taken it to the range 2 or 3 times. You really have to know how to hit it. Everyone told me to get the "long tees" because of the 460cc frame, and the need to have the ball teed up. When I teed it way up, I couldn't hit it. When I put the ball back to a normal tee height on standard tees, voila, great shots down the middle.

My point is, you kind of have to tinker around with your setup a little bit to learn how to hit this club the best way. When I get hot with this club, it's amazing, I can hit the ball 320 yards dead straight. Miss hits usually result in about 80% my normal distance (probably ~290yds) and ballooning to the right, but still in play, maybe 1 to 5 yards deep in the rough.

The setup is the 9 degree with the 65g ProLaunch Blue Stiff flex.

I'm usually a big Callaway fan, but I'm not enamored with this particular club.

I bought one of these a few weeks ago as an experiment. It was only $175.

I've been playing the FT-3 for two years, and thought maybe this club would

be longer. What I discovered was that because of a very closed face, I could not

get it airborne. I tend to hook the ball, and I guess I need an open or at least

a neutral face bias. I guess I could try the Tour version of the 460X, but I've

decided to stay with the FT-3 for now. The 460 is really a good looking club.

I've got the matching 3 wood and hybrid. Unfortunately, this driver is not for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I owned the X460 for 5 weeks....really trying my best to make it work for me. But I finally had to cave in and return the club because of poor performance for me.

I am a Callaway fan and thought this would be an upgrade to my Callaway VFT Hawkeye. But what I found was that it was not a consistent performer when I typically drive the ball well and far. Never have I been right of my target...but I was. Also I found the distance to be inconsistent even with similar hits when I was right on the sweetspot (I used contact tape to see where I was making contact).

I tried to make it work for not only the quality name of Callaway...but for the fit/finish...and how the X sole really made alignment so easy and true. The shot sound was wonderful.

However...I had to return the club for performance.

• 4 months later...

I've been playing my 460 for 2 years now and overall, I like it. I have it in a 9-degree with the stock Fujikura shaft in R flex. I went to a launch monitor for a fitting and this is what we ended up deciding on. On an average day, I hit it around 230-250. I play to a 12, but down from 15 last year, so I'm improving.

Overall, I've liked the club, but I'm in the market for a new one. Based on some friends' suggestions, I'm looking at Titleist 905Rs on ebay. Does anyone have anything to say about how these two sticks match up? Any other suggestions to check out?

• 6 years later...

[quote name='matthewdouglas0' timestamp='1194718944' post='785555']
I got this driver about 10 days ago. I've taken it to the range 2 or 3 times. You really have to know how to hit it. Everyone told me to get the "long tees" because of the 460cc frame, and the need to have the ball teed up. When I teed it way up, I couldn't hit it. When I put the ball back to a normal tee height on standard tees, voila, great shots down the middle.

My point is, you kind of have to tinker around with your setup a little bit to learn how to hit this club the best way. When I get hot with this club, it's amazing, I can hit the ball 320 yards dead straight. Miss hits usually result in about 80% my normal distance (probably ~290yds) and ballooning to the right, but still in play, maybe 1 to 5 yards deep in the rough.

[/quote]I love the way these guys have a normal distance of 290 yards, Ha!

[quote name='Gerald T. Parker' timestamp='1405976759' post='9752757']
[quote name='matthewdouglas0' timestamp='1194718944' post='785555']

[/quote]I love the way these guys have a normal distance of 290 yards, Ha!
[/quote]We all can if we play on a muny goat ranch with no water on the fairways.