Callaway Razr Hawk Tour

G.Review

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So her was my experiment. Forget everything that i know or think that i know about driver fitting. Take two days and hit every major 2011 release on a high end Launch Monitor (LM). I can not remember the name of the LM but i know that it cost the store over 10G's to buy it.

I am a 5.0 hcp. My set up at the time was Adams 9064ls 8.5 RIp Alpha stiff. SS= 104 smooth upwards to 111 when aggressive with the highest being 114. the average was 107.

My previous experiences with LM's is that some of them seemed to be sort of suspect. ie we all know what is feels like to hit a hook or fade. During other sessions i would hit what i know to be a draw and look up to the screen and find a fade and vice versa. So I was always reluctant to pull the trigger on the sole decision of indoor raw LM data. I have done it to mixed levels of success. After talking to some of my friends i decided to give it a try. I went to the store really liking the look of the new SF Burner.

The results: I hit everything. It came down to the R11 10.5 dialed down to 9.5 by opening it up, the Razar Hawk Tour (RHT) , and the SF Burner T, and Ping G15.

The longest single drive went to the R11. But the overall winner in length was the RHT to the tune of 5yds over the R11 setup and,10 yds over the SF Burner TP and Ping G15.

Where the rubber met the road for me was in my dispersion. This LM had a feature that allowed you to color code your different clubs then it put them onto the birds eye view of the digital range to give you concentric dispersion rings. To my astonishment the RHT was the tightest by a considerable margin. It was half the size of the R11, and that was after throwing out the errant single shots. That test repeated itself the second day.

So let me get this straight (forgive the unintentional pun), the longest club is also the straightest? Well, after all of that i pulled the trigger and bought the RHT.

So after about 15 rounds, here is my review:

[b]Set up[/b]: Stocky stockerson. Grip/shaft stock 65gm Rip (this feels softer than an OEM RIP alpha, but now that i have had it for a bit, i really like this shaft)

[b]Look[/b]: Looks to me like a flat FT5. Sits on the ground nice, but still not a fan. Kind of ugly to my eye. Looks open (because it is 2* i think)

[b]Sound: [/b]Typical Cally metal pop. I dont like it. Not as abrasive as a Cobra but definitely no a Titleist either

[b]Feel: [/b]Dont like it. I think because sound is part of feel for me, and i dont like the sound, feel also took a hit. Feels solid but like a cross between a "bong" and a "pop"

[b]Dispersion/Length: [/b]I put these together because not only is it the STRAIGHTEST driver i have ever owned, it is also the LONGEST BY FAR. I kid you no,t i am in places i have never been on my home course. I played a proAm with my head pro (good stick) and i was past him all day by 10yds. A fact that i took great delight in pointing out to him, over and over (childish i know, but i could not help it..moohahaha).

So let me sum up;

Razar Hawk Tour: an ugly looking, ugly sounding, fairway finding , titanium cannon. and one of the best drivers i have ever hit !!!

• 2 weeks later...

I love mine, but I'm VEEEERY tempted to give the stock RIP (in X) the boot. Can someone chime in on any experience they may have with different shafts in this head (please compare to the stock RIP).

Don't get me wrong, I love my setup and I drop some bombs with this thing, but I think a nice aftermarket might improve the feel........maybe.........

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

• 1 month later...

Spun way too much for me. Great look, feel and sound though. Would love to try with a good shaft.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

I am a 14 handicap. I have been through a few drivers (Launcher 10.5* w/ stiff, R-7 Quad 10.5* w/ stiff, Launcher 7.5* w/ X-stiff) in the last few years and nothing seemed to work, slicing was happening way too much. It could have been my swing, but I felt like finding the right club would do the trick. Never hit a Callaway driver until I won a FT-9 Tour for a long drive hole at a tourney. The club wasn't set up for me, 10.5* w/ stiff Fuji, I hit a Cleveland Launcher 400 7.5* w/ X-stiff Fuji to win the long drive. The FT-9 ended up having a defect where it lost its pop just hitting a few times on the range so I called Callaway and they didn't have one available for replacement so they decided to send the RAZR Hawk instead (NICE!!!!). I asked the guy by any chance if he could send me one more fitting for my swing, he did. 8.5* w/ X-stiff R.I.P.

I love it. I have never hit more fairways in the 12+ years I have been playing. This club should help bring me to the single digits on my handicap (I hope anyway).

Long story short, I love this club and will probably be dedicated to Callaway for their great customer service and the great club.

• 1 month later...

Well I picked up the RHT 9.5* yesterday after selling my R11. I went the the range/shop with every intention of buying a Titleist 910 D3, prior to arrival I received a comment to try the RHT from a trusted source. After hitting several with both clubs on the range and using the LM I came to the surprise conclusion I was both longer and had a tighter dispersion with the RHT! I was blown away, so I walked out with the Callaway. Today I played in a charity scramblle so it was the first time to hit the new club on an actual course. The first drive I hit with it on a par 5 I was advised by one of my group with good course knowledge to cut off some fairway, I did and nailed the drive, we had 88 yards to the middle after the drive, I made the eagle putt. Hit it a few more times with positive results. Finally on 18 an uphill par 4 I really hit it in the screws, 317 yards varified with my sky caddie. Needless to say I'm pleased with my purchase. FWIW, I'm a 9.1 handi, avg driver swing speed is 103' launch angle averages 12*.
JCIII

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Absolutely love this club, previously used the supertri and i15 but once I got fitted with the daiamana kai'li shaft it has been the longest driver for me either straight or a slight draw. Got the *10.5 and for me it has a mid high trajectory with lots of roll. I really like the i15 driver but that's been pushed to back up status. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Was fairly inconsistent with the stock RIP shaft. Sold here on BST and custom ordered another with another Aldila shaft - best driver I've ever owned bar none. Long, straight, forgiving. Goes where you want it to. Great feel and look! FT Tour on steroids, at least for me! I love this driver.

D - 10.5° Paradym Ai Smoke Tensei AV Blue 55

F - 20° Paradym Heavenwood Ventus TR Blue 7
H - 22° CLK 2020 
Tensei CK Blue 80

I - 5-G JPX 923 HM KBS Tour Lite

W - 54/58 CBX2 Black Satin KBS HI-REV 2.0 115
P - Toulon Seattle w/ H1 Hosel

B - Titleist Pro V1

ALL CARRIED, DRUG OR DRIVEN IN A...BIG MAX DRi LiTe <-HYBRID-> Golf Bag

• 7 months later...

My bag fell off the cart the other day, and the headcover-less driver head landed on the cart path, slightly fracturing the back of the head. I've hit probably 20 new drivers on the LM and/or the range, and STILL can't find anything longer. Every Titleist, Nike, Ping, TM, etc. I got over the damage, but would like to demo some with the same shaft.

Also, this is the first Cally I've ever liked, and I love it.

Cobra F9 Atmos Black 7X
Titleist 917 F2 15 Speeder 757X
Titleist 816 H2 19 Diamana S+ 90X
Ben Hogan Ft Worth HI 22 TIX100 AMT SS1X
Ben Hogan FW15 26-46 TIX100 AMT SS1X
TM Hi Toe 50, 54 (55), 58 (60) X100 SS2X
Scotty Cameron

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I combined this head with a Diamana Ahina 70x and nothing comes close to it in overall performance. I tried the superfast 2.0 v2 head, r11 dot head, and titleist 910d3 head in the same shaft, and the cally rht flat outperformed all of them. Distance was consistently 10 yards further, and I found the fairway much more as my mis-hits occur on the toe. I have been playing this driver for a year and it has not lost any pop. Highly recommended.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='endy' timestamp='1352396053' post='5908209']
I combined this head with a Diamana Ahina 70x and nothing comes close to it in overall performance. I tried the superfast 2.0 v2 head, r11 dot head, and titleist 910d3 head in the same shaft, and the cally rht flat outperformed all of them. Distance was consistently 10 yards further, and I found the fairway much more as my mis-hits occur on the toe. I have been playing this driver for a year and it has not lost any pop. Highly recommended.
[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]Yes I had the same exact setup except with a 70s tipped 1 1/4'' and it was a very long driver. Unfortunately, the seam at the crown is prone to cracking and therefore I had to get it replaced with a Callaway Razr Extreme. The feel is not as good as the Razr Hawk Tour, but the distance is comparable.[/size]

Callaway Razr Xtreme 9.5 Ahina 60s
Royal Collection 15* 3w Fubuki K 70s
Nike VRS 19* 5w Diamana BB 103s
Vega VM-02 3-PW (KBS Tour S 1xHS)
Miura 55* (p-grind), MacDaddy2 60u
Nike Method Midnight 006 Putter

• 8 months later...

My previous (two) RHT were with Ahina 70X shafts and to use the dangerously overused phrase on GolfWRX, I should never have sold either one of them. I have a RHT now with RIP'd VS Proto, but am hitting the Bio Cell Pro more consistently, but if and when the honeymoon with the BCP ends, the RHT will go back in the bag.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Just got my RAZR Hawk Tour driver last Saturday (HK Time). Loving the look of the head. Gonna kick out the RIP Tour shaft and find an aftermarket shaft to stick into it. Likely gonna be a Fubuki K in it. Heck if it's really good with the Fubuki K in it, I might have to get some spare RHT heads as backup, since they're cheap to buy on eBay.

Ping G410 Plus driver 10.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 7.2 stiff
Ping G410 fairway wood 14.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 8.2 stiff
Mizuno MP-64 irons - 3 & 4 iron - Project X LZ 5.5
Mizuno MP-4 irons - 5-PW - Project X LZ 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 wedges 50*, 54* & 60* - Dynamic Gold wedge shafts
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 putter 35"

WITB Link