Machine M2A Putter Review

Grapehunter

First off I just want to thank Dave, Chris and Libby for putting up with my neurotic needs throughout the putter build. It's been an absolute pleasure working with you on the first of what I'm sure will be many other projects...

Introduction

For years I've played this game, and for many of those years I've neglected doing three very key elements to really enjoy it at a more competitive level. One aspect being my home made swing, which was good enough to play decent but it required a lot of practice to maintain. Another was getting properly fit for not just my Long Game but for my entire bag which I recently took care of at Cool Clubs in Foster City. The third and definitely not the last aspect of my game that had glaring issues was my short game. More specifically my putting.

The only practice I would ever put into my putting was the few minutes before I started a round of golf. A lot of times I wouldn't get to do that, so I relied solely on what my hands were doing that day. Not a good way to breed consistency thats for sure. I also noticed that I usually gravitated to one type of putter. Mallet, Center shafted, length didn't matter. I'f i liked the way it looked in the store I'd buy it. Didn't know what the lie angle was, had no clue what relevance swing weight had with a putting stroke. Off set? Why? Who cares? I don't need offset! Or so I thought...

I decided maybe it was time to get a custom putter. Everything off the shelf was starting to look like clones of something else. I wanted something unique. It was my search for something beautiful that ultimately led me to my journey with Machine Putters and not necessarily the wanting of a better short game. I figured if I'm going to spend some coin on a nice putter, I better get the most use out of it. This is when I went to get my fitting done.

I had already been in contact with Dave Billings at Machine discussing the type of putter I'd like to have built. Cool Clubs gave me the specs I should be looking for, I forwarded that information to Dave, and away he went….

Why the M2A Converter?

Simple… It was all based on a few factors. I like the look of an Anser/Blade style putter but I liked the Anser 2 style for the cleaner more defined edges. I liked the look of the long neck which happened to fit the correct toe hang for my putting stroke though Dave stated that he can bend the hosel to modify the toe hand to be more or less face balanced. The only concern that I had was coming from a mallet style putter, I was used to a heavier putter head. No problem! Dave says. We'll just go to a heavy blade back with some weight insert to get you to the desired swing weight you are looking for!… Simply amazing. It seems as though the only limiting factor with these putters is your own imagination.

It took some time to finalize all the choices because there are so many customizable items to choose from! Hosel style, Head style, Weight, Lie angle, loft, play length, materials used for each part of the putter (you can mix and match if desired), putter shafts, grip, head cover etc etc etc.

My Putter build

- M2A Converter (Stainless Steel)

- Heavy Blade Back Flange

- Long Plumbers Neck

- Line in Cavity

- VMG Grooves

- 3 Degrees Loft

- 71 Degrees Lie angle

- 33.5 Inches play length

- Toe hang 3:30

- Target head weight 370g

- Finish: Antique Charcoal

- Shaft: UST FF Shaft

- Mokume Gane Medallion with Machine Logo

- Bronze Allow spacer

- Best Grips Stitch Back Oil Rubbed Black Leather grip

- Oil Rubbed Black Leather Head Cover

Dave and his team worked really hard to get this putter out to me in short order. I can tell you first hand that when you are waiting for a putter like this that minutes can seem like days but it was well worth the wait.

Performance

I wanted to make sure I got some putting green time in and at least one full round of golf before I wrote this review. I played a local course that I know well to I could minimize any un knowns.

When my putter was delivered, I immediately took it out of the very well cushioned box and started putting in my living room. I knew the head weight we were shooting for and we got there in it's current form but it still felt a little light compared to my previous gamer. Mainly because I had to load my gamer putter up with pill weights in the shaft to get the weight up so it took a little adjusting. I felt at first that maybe I'd need to adjust the port weights to get the swing weight up more. I wanted to putt with it first on the actual course before making that adjustment. I'm glad I did...

Before putting with my new putter I always felt like grooves seemed a little gimmicky to me. Manufacturers have their own idea of what the best grooves are to get the ball rolling on line and perform better on miss hits blah blah blah. Well let me tell you a little something about VMG grooves. I was using a putter that was as heavy as a sledge hammer before receiving my Machine Putter and it would get the ball to the hole but not always with the consistency that I would've liked. Some of the inconsistency was probably due to the MOI being thrown off from all the pill weights in the shaft. Either way, there was definitely a desire for more. These VMG grooves however are a different animal altogether. A little less over all swing weight but the grooves got the ball rolling very true so early in the putt that a slower, more controlled swing still led to hole high putts. More than a hand full of times today I thought I left a putt way short only to end up with a tap in or a little past the hole. It felt like I could now allow the putter to do more of the work and not feel like I'd have to muscle a putt up a hill or on into the grain on a slow putt.

Lining up was almost too easy to do. I feel like I could line up a 100 ft putt blindfolded. The sight line did it's job well but the over all framing of the ball while standing over a putt was all the more magnified with the Bronze Alloy Spacer. Feel was very soft but not overly soft that you couldn't get a good sense of distance control. The UST Frequency Filtered shafts paired very well with this set up. Putts off the face felt like a softer forged carbon putter even though the main material typed used was Stainless Steel. Definitely saved me a few strokes today as I had trouble finding the fairway off the tee leaving me with one putts for pars of which My Machine Putter handled with ease. It felt good knowing that I could rely on my putter so early in my ownership. No doubt I will continue to enjoy this beautiful putter and if you happen to be considering a new putter in the near future, I can't recommend Machine Putters enough.

​…aaaaaaand the pics

2q2pclk.jpg

2dbndj4.jpg

2upbl1j.jpg

34t1wjn.jpg

2z9ejv8.jpg

2nrdbhe.jpg

2vd4ccx.jpg

5ue2av.jpg

2qw065i.jpg

o0575.jpg

I appreciate any and all questions and comments… Thanks for reading!

M1 460 Driver<br /><br /><br /><br /> M1 3 Wood<br /><br /><br /><br /> M1 Hybrid<br /><br /><br /><br /> RSi TP irons PW-4<br /><br /><br /><br /> Edel Wedges 50,55,60<br /><br /><br /><br /> MACHINE M2A Converter Putter<br /><br /><br /><br /> <a href="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1012489-grapehunters-witb/" title="WITB Link" target="_blank">WITB Link</a><br />

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Nuggets' timestamp='1406599885' post='9806247']
Just been looking on their site!

Damn wish I hadn't........I reckon a naked copper billet putter with damascus insert would look the dogs bollocks or possibly a damascus with black ally insert........well there goes a couple of my paycheques after next month
[/quote]

I'm very familiar with that feeling... *Spoiler Alert* I may or may not have a Damascus Putter on the way as well. /Grin

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1406600258' post='9806309']
well i guess this means i'm no longer the tester for this LOL
[/quote]

That's the great thing about The Machine Putter line. You could configure 30 different putters, they would all play differently but the high quality craftsmanship remains, as does the adjustability depending on your model.

M1 460 Driver<br /><br /><br /><br /> M1 3 Wood<br /><br /><br /><br /> M1 Hybrid<br /><br /><br /><br /> RSi TP irons PW-4<br /><br /><br /><br /> Edel Wedges 50,55,60<br /><br /><br /><br /> MACHINE M2A Converter Putter<br /><br /><br /><br /> <a href="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1012489-grapehunters-witb/" title="WITB Link" target="_blank">WITB Link</a><br />

Played a tricky 9 hole Par 3 course today. Gets really windy at times to the point where putts can be affected.

1.67 putts/hole
1.50 putts/ GIR
9 holes/ Par 3's

One double
Two Bogies
Three Birdies

Definitely saved a few pars with One Putts from outside 8 feet. Only one birdie putt was inside 4 feet. The other two were 8-10ft away.

Finished at +1, 15 putts total.

Again I thought I left some putts short but the grooves would just carry the ball all the way to the hole. Very pleased to say the least. Putting was never my strong suit. I have a feeling that will all be changing soon.

That shaft looks like it belongs on that club! Can you comment on the principle feel differences you see between that and a regular shaft? I have been itching for one and its really not that expensive of an upgrade.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9 degrees - Ventus Blue 5S
Sim Max 3HL 16.5 - Ventus Red 6S

Callaway Apex UW @21 - Ventus Red 7s
Titleist TS2 4H @23 - Ventus blue 8s
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G- Nippon 950GH
Titleist SM8 54, 60
Bettinardi Queen Bee 6 - Stability Shaft

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 - Stability Tour

Nice review! My experience with Machine has been great as well. The customization and fact that VMG grooves work so well makes a great product Think highly of Dave both as a craftsman and a person, that Chris guy though.....is a great guy as well, have thought so even after he and Jimmy tried to concoct a plan to get a putter of mine (that I still own-lol). Hope you continue to enjoy your putter, now to nail down plans for my next one.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

I'm actually really glad you posted that, because I was thinking about ordering one set up the same way, same head, flange and with a spacer. I really don't like that the spacer creates a "channel", where it's lower than the flange and the head itself. It really doesn't look right.

M5 w/Rogue
Cobra F6 3/4 wood w/Kuro Kage
RSI 2 driving iron w/recoil
PSI Tour 4-pw w/S300
MD3 50/54/58
Lajosi DD201 w/full face Damascus insert

[quote name='epyon' timestamp='1406784479' post='9822483']
That shaft looks like it belongs on that club! Can you comment on the principle feel differences you see between that and a regular shaft? I have been itching for one and its really not that expensive of an upgrade.
[/quote]

The UST FF shaft promotes the "good feels" and filters out the "bad feels". The idea is to get familiar with what a well struck putt feels like so you can repeat it over and over again.

Regular putter shafts give you all the vibrations, good, bad or indifferent.

Thanks for the comment!

[quote name='Mitchell' timestamp='1406785304' post='9822509']
Nice review! My experience with Machine has been great as well. The customization and fact that VMG grooves work so well makes a great product Think highly of Dave both as a craftsman and a person, that Chris guy though.....is a great guy as well, have thought so even after he and Jimmy tried to concoct a plan to get a putter of mine (that I still own-lol). Hope you continue to enjoy your putter, now to nail down plans for my next one.
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. Definitely some quality people working for Dogleg Right. What are you ordering? Do tell!

[quote name='Graymulligan' timestamp='1406814697' post='9823607']
I'm actually really glad you posted that, because I was thinking about ordering one set up the same way, same head, flange and with a spacer. I really don't like that the spacer creates a "channel", where it's lower than the flange and the head itself. It really doesn't look right.
[/quote]

I liked the channelled look because it helps with alignment I feel. I think you can ask Dave to make it so it is flush. Spacer or not, among other things, that's what makes every Machine putter special, the individualizations. Would love to see how yours turns out when it's done.

Grape: Thanks for the great review! I know I can speak for Chris and the team when I say we all really appreciate the kind comments and positive write up. And, it's great to see your early results - I like your optimism for further improved putting. We all know that can make such a big difference in your scores and your enjoyment and satisfaction with your game. Update on the Damascus in the works!

Mitchell - thanks to you as well, as always. I'm sending you an email as well. Talk soon!

Graymulligan - Thanks for your interest too! Yes, we do make a flush version of the spacers as well. The original spacers were designed for the old style "stepped" flanges that step down and out. Some customers prefer the channel effect with the taller "Heavy" flanges like Heavy Blade Back and Beefy Back, etc. For those that want the flush lines, the flush spacer is made for you!

Thanks for all the other comments too.

All the best,

-Dave

Awesome putter, though I'm not sure I've seen a Machine putter I didn't like. Really like the grip.

I might have to get one of those UST shafts one day, just to try for myself...

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

[quote name='WVP' timestamp='1406832514' post='9825555']
Awesome putter, though I'm not sure I've seen a Machine putter I didn't like. Really like the grip.

I might have to get one of those UST shafts one day, just to try for myself...
[/quote]

I was skeptical about the whole Frequency Filtered idea but it's a great shaft. Highly recommend it.