Division III Roll Call

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're a small conference in the northeast. Not exactly a golf hot spot. Our team conference champ and individual conference champ get bids to Nationals and that's about it. We aren't exactly a powerhouse conference.

I don't think I'll be seeing either of you guys anytime soon.

Anyone else out there? Anyone looking at DIII schools?

Amherst College...

Co don't go to Williams. For the love of god Williamstown stinks. Pohle is a good guy though, and runs that team pretty well. Plus he's a pga teaching pro and a solid player in his own right so that's always nice to have. But then again as an Amherst student, I can authoritatively say, WILLIAMS SUCKS!

• 3 weeks later...

I just graduated from Williams on sunday, and I have to say that I loved evey minute there. I was a walk on onto the golf team, and the kids on the team and coach are great. (You know Pohle is a good guy when even Amherst kids say so). The assistant pro/coach, Josh Hillman is a great guy and great player too. And of course the academic record of the school speaks for itself.

All in all, I understand that Williams (or Amherst, for that matter) isn't for everyone. But if you are interested in a small liberal arts college, Williams is #1.

Go EPHS!!!!

p.s. Cokeefe, feel free to PM me any questions about Williams, I'd be happy to talk to you or answer any questions.

Played Baseball through my Junior Year of High School. Got into golf my senior year. Played OK. Had a shot at walking on the team at Kansas/Iowa/Iowa State and playing my junior, senior, super senior year. Opted for Luther College (Formerly a FUN College). Played all four years. Enjoyed the perks of a small school (About 3K)...My friends still are struggling to finish up at larger Universities in which they never played. I have nothing but fond memories of my D3 experience. The women, the parties, the golf....it was all great! 3 of my fellow classmates/golf team members are my very best friends to this day. If you are on the fence....I highly recommend looking into D3.

• 3 weeks later...

I play for Texas Lutheran, we just got T7th at the National Tournament in Indianapolis with me playing terrible and one really bad round by our team (322). We have won conference the last two years and are returning everyone from our top five next year. My best year was my sophomore year when I got all West Region, had like 8 top 20s. D3 is a lot of fun, a little more relaxed I would say, although that may just be our program. The qualifying system for nationals is pretty terrible, they should just take the top 35 teams from golfstat or however many they want to take. Some of the teams that played at nationals were a joke, I don't care if you win your conference, you shouldn't be at nationals if you have guys that can't break 90 on a real golf course.

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

• 8 months later...

I played out of Wisconsin-Eau Claire last year. At the end of the fall season we were ranked number one in the nation but didnt play the last week of fall so we dropped down to 3rd. I took medalist in 2 tournaments including the Twin Cities Classic held at Hazeltine National, and a couple top 5's. We had a rough start to the spring but pulled it together and went to nationals and played OK. We took 5th and I took 11th and made all american which was sweet. I highly recommend Eau Claire. We are in a very strong conference and always have good players on the team. This year I believe we are 6th or 7th (sorry cant remember) according to golfstat.com.

If you are looking for a chance to make a good team that will make it to nationals then i highly recommend at least checking it out. The coach is cool and a lot of fun and isn't strict at all. Only strict on practicing everyday but that's good for ya! Holla back with any questions you may have as I can set ya up with coach if ya wanna ask him questions or take a tour of campus/our home course.

I went o North Carolina Wesleyan and played soccer there...our coach would not let us play golf due to spring soccer training. The team there is pretty bad, but the conference and area are second to none for DIII with Methodist in conference and Guilford just down the road in Greensboro. They are 2 of the best school in the nation for DIII golf.

Well, I am 30 now so making a college campus decision was a long time ago for me, I am sure that your campus is MUCH nicer than Methodist. MC is an ugly campus in the middle of crappy Fayetteville, NC, But Guilford College is in a nicer area of NC. The one thing that Methodist would have going for it, or Guilford, is the fact that the best courses in the nation are only an hour or two away. Methodist is less than an hour from Pinehurst and the Southern Pines area which includes Tobacco Road, Mid Pines, Pine Needles, oh year, and the crappy little courses called Pinehurst. You also can not forget that Myrtle Beach is less than 2 hours away...I need not list the dozens of great courses and conditions there do I?

Anywhere in the country can list great courses...if you lived in NJ you could say you have Pine Valley and Balltusrol, but who can play those. Pinehurst and Myrtle Beach are the top in the nation. MB is constantly rated the #1 golf vacation spot in the entire nation...the worst courses there are better than anything public that I have ever played in NJ. The same goes for Pinehurst...when was the last time the US Open was in Wisconsin? And did you forget about the weather, golf season here is 10-11 months at least, and even the coldest time of winter you will get a couple of weekends in the 60's to play. 3 years in a row I was on a golf course in shorts on New Year's day with 65-75 degree weather...btw, what was the temperature there today?

They used to play at Northgreen, which I have only played a couple of times. After graduating I moved to Raleigh, and now Charlotte. Charlotte is a good 4 hours from Rocky Mount, but I still try to go back for the Alumni soccer game/weekend. I have checked out the Ford's Colony website and looks like one of the best layouts anywhere around Rocky Mount. I graduated in 2000 and the campus and area was in the process of changing rapidly. When I was there no one cared about the golf team and their coach was also the men's soccer coach. He was not a great golfer and not much of an instructor, so it was more of a way for the college to save $ by having 1 guy coach 2 teams.

He was an amazing soccer coach, very intense and passionate...took us from a 1996 record of 3-14 in his first season (my freshman year), to top 25 in the nation for a couple of weeks in 1999...and many weeks ranked in the top 10 regionally. He would not allow me or other guys to play for the golf team becuase of the busy spring soccer traning schedule. The sports at NCWC are pretty damn good for DIII right now. Football started just 4 years ago and they made the NCAA tournament and pulled off a massive 1st round upset...soccer hosted the sweet 16 and was upset at home, but they were top 5 in the nation and as high as #2 this season, several tournament years in a row now. And baseball is one of the top programs in all of DIII sports. They won the national championship in 1989 and 1999, and their coach of 25 years was taken away by a little school named UNC-Chapel Hill in 2000. Mike Fox is name, got to where he is from what he did at Wesleyan...and has made UNC a College World Series team for a couple of years in a row.

The women's soccer team was top 10-20 in the nation during my years and made it as far as the final 4 and final 8 in the tournament...but they have headed in the wrong direction recently. The campus is in the middle of no where, which is what I wanted, and Rocky Mount is not a good city for living...so staying near the campus is important...it is nice that Ford's Colony is now right next to the campus and look forward top playing there during alumni weekend this year.

CDN GOLFER...do you go to school now in NC, where do you live down here?

Im actually the no.1 at Wesleyan right now. Im a freshman here, just got here in january.

Fords is a pretty nice course for just having opened recently, actually were hosting a tournament there this coming weekend.

The middle of nowhere thing you aren't kidding, I wish there was something else to do, especially since I dont have a car I cant really do anything other than golf and w.e there is goin on here on campus.

While I was there the new student union building was built...before that was there you could not get food after the cafeteria closed at 6:30...the Shopping Center with the McDonalds was not there either. The closest fast food or pizza was all the way up at the mall! They had just built the tennis courts in my Jenior year and the new field house for the soccer and football team was just a thought. I got so bored with RM that I lived in Raleigh my Senior year and communted back and forth everyday for classes, I set it up so I only had classes 4 days a week. Raleigh is a litle less than an hour away, and you could even move to a place like Knightdale and be 40 minutes from campus and 15 minutes to downtown Raleigh. I would not advise that until senior year at least.

Have you taken Biology or any Math classes yet? Did the college campus care about the football and soccer teams doing so well in the fall? Good luck in the tournament this weekend, let me know how it goes, I usually check the website pretty frequently...so I'll check it out.

havent had either, wont be taking bio, and math wont be a problem for me (accounting major).

Im not really sure much about the football and soccer teams as i got here after that was all done with, so only stuff ive really heard is baseball as theyre in season right nowtoo.

its not too bad with the grocery store and mcd's over there, and the student union isnt too bad, pool tables and such. Its nice that the grill is open late now so i can go in there after practise and still be able to get some food.

The way my team's playing in tourneys, you'll most likely see me no.1 for the team again this weekend, even if im playing just as crappily, just i put in more practise time... lol

havent had either, wont be taking bio, and math wont be a problem for me (accounting major).

Im not really sure much about the football and soccer teams as i got here after that was all done with, so only stuff ive really heard is baseball as theyre in season right nowtoo.

its not too bad with the grocery store and mcd's over there, and the student union isnt too bad, pool tables and such. Its nice that the grill is open late now so i can go in there after practise and still be able to get some food.

The way my team's playing in tourneys, you'll most likely see me no.1 for the team again this weekend, even if im playing just as crappily, just i put in more practise time... lol

Ms. Stafford is a riot for a math teacher...definately take her when you can. She expects a lot from students but does really care and is a great instructor. College life would have been so much better if that McDonald's was there when I was. I saw you on the website and in the media guide, good luck at the Scalf tournament this weekend!