2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Slazenger Black Label golf balls

The Big Pinch

Well... Since many Bridgestone balls like the e5+ and e6+ are less than 30 dollars, I'd rather play one of those rather than a Slazenger ball made Bridgestone. Slazenger must be pretty desperate if they are having other companies make balls for them.

Why? Lots of top balls are designed and sold by one company and manufactured by another. Its a pretty common practice.

Lots? Lets see you name 20.

I can not name 20, but I think you underestimate the invisible hand. I can guarantee you that Dicks does not have a special ball factory somewhere! Furthermore, I bet both Bridgestone and Dicks are getting something out of their relationship.

There was an article in Golf Digest in March or April of 07 that featured the role of independent factories in china and detailed how they try and hook up with major golf brands in the US and vice versa. It was not about balls, but club components. It was really pretty interesting.

The bottom line is companies design a spec, and shop it around to find who can build it cheapest. Factories cost money, let those who own them figure out how to pay for them, and let the people who can design clubs figure out how to design them.

In the case of Dicks, they may not know balls, but they have shelf space and online outlets, so why not get some contract balls, and throw them in the mix.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, nearly 50% are not in the best position. Give Slazenger 5 years. Then we'll be saying adios.

Nike is desperate too? Callaway? TaylorMade? They have all had others manufacture their golf ball line at some point.

Interestingly enough, Callaway and TaylorMade bought companies who did manufacture their own golf balls but were not doing well financially.

Hmmm... you make a strong argument.

Yes, nearly 50% are not in the best position. Give Slazenger 5 years. Then we'll be saying adios.

Nike is desperate too? Callaway? TaylorMade? They have all had others manufacture their golf ball line at some point.

Hmmm... you make a strong argument.

I've only been playing golf for a year and a half so I'm not farmiliar with the companies that made golf balls for Nike, Callaway, and TaylorMade. Can you tell me more about this?

Well... Since many Bridgestone balls like the e5+ and e6+ are less than 30 dollars, I'd rather play one of those rather than a Slazenger ball made Bridgestone. Slazenger must be pretty desperate if they are having other companies make balls for them.

Desperate??? Dick's own the rights to the name brand. Dick's doesn't own any golf ball manufacturing plants. What they do know however is how to produce and maintain high profit margins. They have a OEM with manufacturing capabilities design and produce a product for them.

Gee, sounds like another company that has balls made for them by Bridgestone....Nike. They must be desperate as well?

Dicks bought the rights for Slazenger Golf, they now own it. They are heavily marketing Slazenger balls and clothing. For 2007 there will be 5 new slazenger balls, RD Tour- 3 piece surlyn cover, RD Speed- 2 piece soft, two new Raw Distance 24 packs, and now for the GREAT NEWS-- that Slazenger BLACK LABEL ball is the BEST PREMIUM 3 PEICE URATHANE BALL you can buy for $30. It is made by Bridgstone for Slazenger. It may very well be one of the best balls period. We tested this ball last summer with a group, we used unlabeled balls, just numbers. Pro v1, B330, TM Black, & the Slazenger. After 4 rounds of golf the Slazenger was voted #2 most preferred ball. Same performance, 10-15 bucks less per dozen. TRY IT.

I'm curious. What is your position at Dick's?

Customer. I was very curious about this ball also, so unlike many on here who just make comments without any knowledge at all about the subject the are talking about, I asked about the ball, local Dicks guys did not know, DM did not know, so I called Corporate and talked to the man over the Golf division and the buyer for the house brands. Any more Questions?

Dicks bought the rights for Slazenger Golf, they now own it. They are heavily marketing Slazenger balls and clothing. For 2007 there will be 5 new slazenger balls, RD Tour- 3 piece surlyn cover, RD Speed- 2 piece soft, two new Raw Distance 24 packs, and now for the GREAT NEWS-- that Slazenger BLACK LABEL ball is the BEST PREMIUM 3 PEICE URATHANE BALL you can buy for $30. It is made by Bridgstone for Slazenger. It may very well be one of the best balls period. We tested this ball last summer with a group, we used unlabeled balls, just numbers. Pro v1, B330, TM Black, & the Slazenger. After 4 rounds of golf the Slazenger was voted #2 most preferred ball. Same performance, 10-15 bucks less per dozen. TRY IT.

Customer. I was very curious about this ball also, so unlike many on here who just make comments without any knowledge at all about the subject the are talking about, I asked about the ball, local Dicks guys did not know, DM did not know, so I called Corporate and talked to the man over the Golf division and the buyer for the house brands. Any more Questions?

Just a couple.

Was voted # 2 overall by a group of people you play golf with? Unlabeled balls? Who was the head of the Golf Division that you spoke to? Name of the new buyer? Who is DM?

You're right, there are so many people making comments without any knowledge at all about a subject they are commenting on but more on perceptions. Unfortunaltely, many of the people working in stores like Dick's are not privy to a lot of information, for a reason. For the same reasons, many of us working "inside" the industry are not privy to all information as well.

As for the unlabeled balls. I know that many companies would not make unlabeled balls availble outside of their corporate test sites (included). Balls tested by tour players at tour sites are tested by the player and picked up by the test engineers before they leave. Even here, the balls have some markings consistent with a current ball.

Just a couple.

Was voted # 2 overall by a group of people you play golf with? Unlabeled balls? Who was the head of the Golf Division that you spoke to? Name of the new buyer? Who is DM?

You're right, there are so many people making comments without any knowledge at all about a subject they are commenting on but more on perceptions. Unfortunaltely, many of the people working in stores like Dick's are not privy to a lot of information, for a reason. For the same reasons, many of us working "inside" the industry are not privy to all information as well.

As for the unlabeled balls. I know that many companies would not make unlabeled balls availble outside of their corporate test sites (included). Balls tested by tour players at tour sites are tested by the player and picked up by the test engineers before they leave. Even here, the balls have some markings consistent with a current ball.

You should have been on our golf trip to find out #2. Here is the inside scoop on how we got the unlabeled balls, since you are so skeptical and obviously know everything there is to know about unlabeled balls, we called Office Depot and ask them if they had any permanent markers, they did so we bought some and as we do every year just for fun we mark out the brand name of different new balls each year and everybody plays a round with them and we have everyone rate them and then we reveal what they were to the guys. It is a trade "inside" secret, I am surprised you were not aware of it. If you really must know the name of those guys, I suggest you call and find out for yourself. I have already let you in on the unlabeled ball secret, I have done enough for you.

Just a couple.

You should have been on our golf trip to find out #2. Here is the inside scoop on how we got the unlabeled balls, since you are so skeptical and obviously know everything there is to know about unlabeled balls, we called Office Depot and ask them if they had any permanent markers, they did so we bought some and as we do every year just for fun we mark out the brand name of different new balls each year and everybody plays a round with them and we have everyone rate them and then we reveal what they were to the guys. It is a trade "inside" secret, I am surprised you were not aware of it. If you really must know the name of those guys, I suggest you call and find out for yourself. I have already let you in on the unlabeled ball secret, I have done enough for you.

What happens when the marker wears off? I mark a line through the prov 1 and after 2 holes, you can clearly see through the marks.