2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

The Original MacKenzie Walker golf bags

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where do you see it for $725? Looks like $975 to me:

[url="http://www.themackenziegolfbagcompany.com/the-bags/the-original-mackenzie-walker/"]http://www.themackenziegolfbagcompany.com/the-bags/the-original-mackenzie-walker/[/url]

They look amazing, but no way I can swing one of those. I am lusting after the ballistic walker though, I'm tempted by the simplicity of it and it's more reasonably priced. Never tried this style of bag though so a little hesitant to take the leap.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

[quote name='slide13' timestamp='1380746362' post='7943801']
Where do you see it for $725? Looks like $975 to me:

[url="http://www.themackenziegolfbagcompany.com/the-bags/the-original-mackenzie-walker/"]http://www.themackenziegolfbagcompany.com/the-bags/the-original-mackenzie-walker/[/url]

They look amazing, but no way I can swing one of those. I am lusting after the ballistic walker though, I'm tempted by the simplicity of it and it's more reasonably priced. Never tried this style of bag though so a little hesitant to take the leap.
[/quote]
The Pro Shop at Cabot Links had 3 different coloured bags. Yeah...way cheaper than on The MacKenzie site. What a great lookin' bag. Hell, it may end up on the wall in my cave.

Got my walker last fri, the craftsmanship is unbelievable, we used one of our golf foursomes we won, so I ended up with a caddy for the round, he said it was extremely easy to lug around an use, he asked how much they were, once I told them how much they were I dont think he let it on the ground again lol. But sun I will be walking with ill let u know my thoughts

Let me know....I really want one, just wish I could try one out with clubs loaded in it and everything first. That being said, I have yet to hear from anyone who has one and doesn't like it...so that is a good sign.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

I've got a ballistic Walker (2 pocket model) and it's my favorite bag. I can fit a complete set of raingear in one pocket and everything else in the other pocket. It's extremely comfortable to carry - the balance is incredible. I'll admit it's not a great cart bag, but that's not what it is designed for. If you are walking most of your rounds, you can't go wrong. As to whether it's worth the money, like everything else it's a question of if you can afford it and it serves the purpose, then it's worth it.

I much prefer to walk and half the time only use one strap on my current stand bag anyway, the thing that worries me is the single divider setup. Right now I play an Ogio Grom with the Woode top so my clubs are always supremely organized when I walk. Unsure how I'll adapt to the relative chaos of the two compartment setup. I think I'll give it a try next season for sure, if not before.

[quote name='Caddie4JT' timestamp='1380835355' post='7949099']
I have a MacKenzie Walker and I have used it since 1991. I did have to send it back and have the strap clip replaced (under warranty) a couple of years ago but other than that just enjoy using it. It has been the best golf "investment" I have made.
[/quote]
Is it designed to carry club heads forward, or back like a Jones bag?

Mackenzie Ballistic Walker,Awesome looking bag, pockets functional, love the clip key holder in the front pocket, great quality. I am not 100% sold on the balance/strap. It seems that to have to load the pockets decently to create balance with a full set in the bag.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I will judge again after some more rounds. Walking/carrying season has just begun for me.

Ping I20 10.5 TFC 707D xFlex
Mizuno MX 700 20, 23. Fujikura 380 HB X
Mizuno MP-54 4-7 1 DG UP X100 D-4
Mizuno MP-64 8-PW
Cleveland 588 RTX Cavity X100
Bettinardi BB1 2011 Wynn

Do you carry 14 clubs in yours? How do you load it? Woods and putter in top co part,ent or are there some irons in that one too?

Surprisingly I found one for sale locally and picked it up today. Haven't been out with it yet but finding that 14 clubs is feeling a little cramped just messing around with it at home. I do like the feel though, felt a little top heavy with just clubs, but I loaded up the pockets with my usual gear (nothing too heavy really) and that seems to provide just enough to give it a really balanced feel now.

Hoping I like it but I'm coming from the highly organized Woode top on my Ogio so this feels very very foreign to me so far.

It's a great carry bag, balances well with a reasonable amount of stuff in either the 1 or 2 pocket bag. I can carry mine either clubs forward or back. For a short walk, I carry clubs forward. For a longer walk (like after a drive) I carry clubs back.

When carrying classic clubs, I keep 3 woods and my putter in the top and the rest of the clubs in the bottom. I have slightly oversized grips (2 wraps on .580 grips) and there really isn't a problem getting the clubs to fit. From time to time, the clubs do get jumbled in the bottom because there is no divider, but really, are you going to pass on a golf bag because of that?

It is a luxury item, no question. If you are trying to decide "if it is worth the money", it probably isn't for you. There isn't a NEED for a leather Mackenzie Walker. But if you WANT it, it is a cool golf bag for walkers (definitely not for a golf cart or pull cart)

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

If you think you want a leather one but aren't sure if this type of bag is for you, pick up one of the ballistic nylon ones. For under $300 you'll get the same functionality as the leather to try out and either way I think you can probably resell it with a very minor loss, or no loss if you pick up a used one. You can get them for $280 brand new and in stock from golfclubs.com.

I found this one locally for a decent price, only one round on it, so I'm going to give it a try. It was even in my preferred color scheme so I couldn't pass it up. I figure if I don't end up liking it I can always resell it for a decent price and if I really love it...well, then maybe I'll start saving for a leather version. Though honestly, I really like the ballistic version...very light and seems incredibly durable.

photo.jpg

went out today for my first time with the Mackenzie on a little executive course. Carried 7 clubs, 3w/4/6/8/P/SW/Putter. Honestly, not yet sure how I felt about it. I've been playing an Ogio Grom with the Woode top so it is super organized, lots of pockets, etc. I found carrying this that the actual carrying of the bag was super comfortable. I'm sure part of that was the significantly decreased weight but I also think the balance, strap quality, and bags unstructured style really helped with that. The finger loop is a nice feature too and it just fell naturally into my hand as I grabbed it to walk.

I did miss my stand and the extra pockets at times. The pocket thing wasn't a huge deal...but I really found myself wishing for a good place to put my scorecard pencil...I don't like keeping it in my pocket as I've poked myself a few times reaching in for tees/balls and just find it annoying there. It's also a bit of a hassle getting into the pockets while crouching down to the ground or while trying to hold the bag up.

Overall, the quality of the bag is pretty amazing and I see why people love them. I'm not sure they're for me even though I really want to like them. I'm a little to OCD about my club organization...I like them to always be in numerical order if possible...works great in my Ogio, not so great in a single divider system. Not sure I'm ready to give up on it quite yet though, may try it a few more times yet, but I may end up passing it on and going back to my Ogio with which I've had a good 3+ year run so far.

• 3 weeks later...

So I have carried with my two pocket ballistic walker for 6 rounds and some miscellaneous shorter sessions.
1. Balance of the bag is great.
2. No issues with moisture getting in
3. No issues removing or replacing clubs.
4. Plenty of space for anything I need on the course

5. Cant stand the strap for a prolonged period of time. Its great when I pick up the bag to take it from my car to the clubhouse, but once I start playing I've noticed the width of it just doesnt match up right with my shoulder frame. Its just a bit too narrow.

Solution:
The last two rounds I replaced the strap with the single strap from the Sun Mountain Caddie Bag and it is tremendous. While I am sad that the awesomeness of the accent leather on the original Mackenzie Strap is now missing, the width and the cushioning of the SM strap has created the perfect storm.

It is now that most functional and comfortable bag I have ever walked with.

Ping I20 10.5 TFC 707D xFlex
Mizuno MX 700 20, 23. Fujikura 380 HB X
Mizuno MP-54 4-7 1 DG UP X100 D-4
Mizuno MP-64 8-PW
Cleveland 588 RTX Cavity X100
Bettinardi BB1 2011 Wynn

• 1 month later...

Traded an Eliot for an experienced leather Mackenzie Walker. I've already been gaming my Ballistic Walker and wanted to see if the leather bag made a difference. Slightly different carrying experience. Frankly, like the Ballistic a little better, but can't tell if it's the age on the Original leather that makes a difference.

the Original did not have a finger loop and I always wanted an umbrella holder so I combined a towel loop and added a finger loop to double as an umbrella holder. Found a marine grade 3 inch ring and some leather scraps. Riveted on the leather with a hard rubber backing on the inside of the bag. Works pretty well now.

Nice work by Mr. Kim on making and installing the new components. also, here is a picture of the bag stand I made.

[attachment=1992495:Mr. Kim-Mackenze towel loop.jpg]

[attachment=1992497:Mackenzie Bag Stand.jpg]

These are very nice carry bags that elicit alot of positive compliments if you like that sort of thing.

I have a similar stand solution for mine to that of LPG23 - a set of "hickory sticks" that I also use when I'm using my hickory set.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:1861007]

Mine are home made by my dad, but if DIY is not your thing, you can buy some for $38 from Steurer & Jacoby. They work really well and are much nicer than the cheap stands that you get on the OEM Chinese carry bags.

http://www.steurerjacoby.com/products/model-990-oak-club-carrier-stand/

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

[quote name='yrose' timestamp='1383159369' post='8079554']

5. Cant stand the strap for a prolonged period of time. Its great when I pick up the bag to take it from my car to the clubhouse, but once I start playing I've noticed the width of it just doesnt match up right with my shoulder frame. Its just a bit too narrow.

[/quote]

I find one of those sheepskin car seatbelt strap covers are a good way to bulk the original strap up, if you need to. I have a natural colour one that is 18 inches long that works well for that.

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

• 7 months later...

Have had my Original Mackenzie Walker nearly 3 years...I virtually always walk...balance great...easy to flip shoulders...2 pockets is plenty for me and if it isn't raining 1 is empty (unless it has a whisky flask for winter rounds)...rain can be a bit of a bother - if it stops you are putting a wet umbrella in with your sticks (make sure your umbrella has a sheath), if it doesn't stop the sack can get heavy-ish...one divider limits bag chatter on my Hogan Personal Irons...bought a Ballistic for a former client and very classy at a fraction of price

• 5 years later...