Michigan Trip - All Reviews and Photos Added

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1405378248' post='9700471']
Some solid scores there... Couldn't imagine playing AB from 7300 with the winds they can get
[/quote]

Thanks! Strangely enough, the only round where I played well was at Arcadia. The day we played it was perfect weather with winds around 10 mph, however, the greens were rolled and cut the morning of my round which made for insanely difficult greens. With that in mind, the 77 was actually a very good day; the other three, not so much.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 6.2X

Fairway Wood: Titleist TSi3 15° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 8.2X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi3 20° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 8.8X

Irons: Titleist T150 4-PW | KBS Tour V 110s 

Wedge: Vokey SM9 Raw Finish 48.10F, 54.10S, & 60.10V | Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5.5

Putter: Scotty Cameron Limited Release Champions Choice Flowback 5.5 Button Back

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pace of play at harbor shores is usually around 4hrs. A little research and listening to the starter will go a long way. Hit a drive from the tips on #9. Don't let some of the approach shots get to you. Almost guaranteed to have a few that when you get on the green you will say "i wish I knew I should have hit it there". There are a lot of spots that funnel your ball (to or from hole) but without knowing course well it's tough to do. If you are going to play 2 rounds, consider playing lake Michigan hills 1st. Not same level course as H.S. but a decent test.

Great job. I loved Arcadia Bluffs and got to play The Bear at Grand Traverse Resort. The Bear is in excellent condition too. The views are hard to beat at Arcadia Bluffs late in the day.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

Great write up! Have played FD and Bay Harbor many times but not Arcadia so I always love drooling over pics. Plus I enjoy hearing everyone's opinions of Bay Harbor vs. Michigan's Big 2 as I personally think it is somewhat underrated comparatively. Glad you had an awesome time with your old man OP, a trip you will always remember I'm sure!

[quote name='br61' timestamp='1405859929' post='9740135']
Great job. I loved Arcadia Bluffs and got to play The Bear at Grand Traverse Resort. The Bear is in excellent condition too. The views are hard to beat at Arcadia Bluffs late in the day.
[/quote]

We were considering a day in Traverse City (went there with the whole family when I was about 7).

[quote name='timbo08' timestamp='1405870526' post='9741139']
Great write up! Have played FD and Bay Harbor many times but not Arcadia so I always love drooling over pics. Plus I enjoy hearing everyone's opinions of Bay Harbor vs. Michigan's Big 2 as I personally think it is somewhat underrated comparatively. Glad you had an awesome time with your old man OP, a trip you will always remember I'm sure!
[/quote]

Bay Harbor's holes on the lake were some of the best I've played. However, the holes not on the water were just alright. In my opinion, Arcadia and Forest Dunes don't really have boring holes, while Bay Harbor has a couple.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Limited Release Champions Choice Flowback 5.5 Button Back

[quote name='NCWolfpack' timestamp='1405874271' post='9741543']
[/quote]

We were considering a day in Traverse City (went there with the whole family when I was about 7).

[/quote]

Bay Harbor's holes on the lake were some of the best I've played. However, the holes not on the water were just alright. In my opinion, Arcadia and Forest Dunes don't really have boring holes, while Bay Harbor has a couple.
[/quote]

I can agree there, especially the Preserve course which you did not have a chance to play. Not much action there at all in my opinion.

[quote name='timbo08' timestamp='1405906598' post='9745241']
[quote name='NCWolfpack' timestamp='1405874271' post='9741543']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I can agree there, especially the Preserve course which you did not have a chance to play. Not much action there at all in my opinion.
[/quote]

I am in agreement with this assessment. I love the Links side. It's beautiful and you can really forget that you are even in Michigan while playing it. I mean it looks like something from the Pacific NW. The Quarry side to me is just OK. It's a very unique layout, which is fun the first couple times I played it, but really it's kind of tricked out and leaves me wishing I just played the links 9 twice.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1405951467' post='9748165']
I am in agreement with this assessment. I love the Links side. It's beautiful and you can really forget that you are even in Michigan while playing it. I mean it looks like something from the Pacific NW. The Quarry side to me is just OK. It's a very unique layout, which is fun the first couple times I played it, but really it's kind of tricked out and leaves me wishing I just played the links 9 twice.
[/quote]

I actually found the Quarry nine very similar to a course we have in Wisconsin. Also, the finishing three holes with the lake views are incredible. I would also gladly have only played #3-9 on the Quarry since the first two are just plain boring.

Bumping this thread to add that one week ago today, played Arcadia Bluffs. What an absolutely amazing course! Tuesdays are Seniors Day (I qualify) with a $90 greens fee. Our foursome consisted of my best buds in life, we have been looking forward to this since the winter when booked.

Day was comfortable temp wise, somewhat overcast, AND a 20+ mph wind blowing from the SW off the lake. Playing from the whites at 6200 yds., the course was all we could handle playing into that wind. Playing #11, long dog left back par 5 directly back into the wind was D, 4w, 4w, just to get in the vicinity of the green. # 17, 150 yd. par 3, hit 23* hybrid and still came up 10 yds. short. All this really didn't matter. We were there for the experience, not the score. Had to really slow the swing down and just try to keep the ball in play. Note to self, maybe there is a message here.

All in all a wonderful experience shared with good friends. Not going to say what I shot (doesn't really matter) but I did finish par, par, par. So I had that going for me, which was nice.

Some crappy phone pics (really stupid to not have brought the regular camera):

[attachment=2347091:image.jpg]
[attachment=2347093:image.jpg]
[attachment=2347097:image.jpg]

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1406620325' post='9807803']
Bumping this thread to add that one week ago today, played Arcadia Bluffs. What an absolutely amazing course! Tuesdays are Seniors Day (I qualify) with a $90 greens fee. Our foursome consisted of my best buds in life, we have been looking forward to this since the winter when booked.

Day was comfortable temp wise, somewhat overcast, AND a 20+ mph wind blowing from the SW off the lake. Playing from the whites at 6200 yds., the course was all we could handle playing into that wind. Playing #11, long dog left back par 5 directly back into the wind was D, 4w, 4w, just to get in the vicinity of the green. # 17, 150 yd. par 3, hit 23* hybrid and still came up 10 yds. short. All this really didn't matter. We were there for the experience, not the score. Had to really slow the swing down and just try to keep the ball in play. Note to self, maybe there is a message here.

All in all a wonderful experience shared with good friends. Not going to say what I shot (doesn't really matter) but I did finish par, par, par. So I had that going for me, which was nice.

[/quote]

Seems like a perfect day to me! Even at full price (well $20 off due to the hotel) I felt Arcadia was well worth it. Being that Tuesday's are senior day, I'm assuming you all drove up for the day? I hope you made a stop to eat after the round in the clubhouse, it was probably one of the best on course restaurants I have been on.

As for the weather, my day started off dead calm until we got to #10, then the next two were straight into the wind. I'm pretty sure 10 was 480 ish and 11 was well over 650. If that wasn't enough, 16 was playing 500ish and I barely hit it in two.

[quote name='NCWolfpack' timestamp='1406636664' post='9808345']

[/quote]

Seems like a perfect day to me! Even at full price (well $20 off due to the hotel) I felt Arcadia was well worth it. Being that Tuesday's are senior day, I'm assuming you all drove up for the day? I hope you made a stop to eat after the round in the clubhouse, it was probably one of the best on course restaurants I have been on.

As for the weather, my day started off dead calm until we got to #10, then the next two were straight into the wind. I'm pretty sure 10 was 480 ish and 11 was well over 650. If that wasn't enough, 16 was playing 500ish and I barely hit it in two.
[/quote]

We were staying with friends that live just up the road in Beulah, about 14 miles away. We had appetizers, sandwiches, and drinks (several) on the veranda afterwards. The food was excellent as you noted. Our wives played another course in the area and joined us afterwards at AB. Finished up the day by going back to our friends place, grilling up some nice steaks, drinking several bottles of cabernet, and nodding off to dreamland.

There was one minor issue with playing AB that day. The pace of play was on the slow side. The starter, during our pre-start instructions wanted the round done in 4 3/4 hrs. I felt this was more than generous. Because of the course, the wind, and being Senior day, things got a little slow. The group in front of us was playing quite slow. A marshall picked them up to "assist" them in finding there ball, etc. on #8. By the #10 tee, they had two marshalls. By #12, they had moved up to the red tees. All this was not really a problem for us as we were enjoying the course and the experience. However, this may be a problem for many (especially on this site). I don't believe AB a course conducive to > 4 hour rounds.

Yes, #11 was a monster, especially that day curving back directly into the wind. Our group had balls scattered all over the place on that one! Looked at my score card and had a seven, felt that was like par!

Next year, our group is thinking Forest Dunes for our "bucket list" course of the year. Have lodging connection in that area as well. I've bookmarked this thread for reference if that's the pick. Its going to be hard to top AB though.

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1406641854' post='9808885']
We were staying with friends that live just up the road in Beulah, about 14 miles away. We had appetizers, sandwiches, and drinks (several) on the veranda afterwards. The food was excellent as you noted. Our wives played another course in the area and joined us afterwards at AB. Finished up the day by going back to our friends place, grilling up some nice steaks, drinking several bottles of cabernet, and nodding off to dreamland.

There was one minor issue with playing AB that day. The pace of play was on the slow side. The starter, during our pre-start instructions wanted the round done in 4 3/4 hrs. I felt this was more than generous. Because of the course, the wind, and being Senior day, things got a little slow. The group in front of us was playing quite slow. A marshall picked them up to "assist" them in finding there ball, etc. on #8. By the #10 tee, they had two marshalls. By #12, they had moved up to the red tees. All this was not really a problem for us as we were enjoying the course and the experience. However, this may be a problem for many (especially on this site). I don't believe AB a course conducive to > 4 hour rounds.

Yes, #11 was a monster, especially that day curving back directly into the wind. Our group had balls scattered all over the place on that one! Looked at my score card and had a seven, felt that was like par!

Next year, our group is thinking Forest Dunes for our "bucket list" course of the year. Have lodging connection in that area as well. I've bookmarked this thread for reference if that's the pick. Its going to be hard to top AB though.
[/quote]

That's too bad to hear about pace of play. I honestly can't even remember how long it took to play since we were just focusing on the beauty of the location and golf. As for how the marshals helped them and even required them to move up to the red tees does surprise me; that is certainly not what I would expect when anyone is paying a premium price.

As for Forest Dunes, it really is a great course and an awesome place to stay. I know you said you have lodging connection in the area, however, lodging is an extra $51 per person which includes breakfast, and unlimited use of the range with your own cart. I will be the first to admit you don't save much by staying on site at Arcadia, however, I believe the convenience and amenities of staying literally on the first tee makes up for $51. It is certainly your call, however, I would go to Forest Dunes and stay on site.

P.S. I have pictures of every hotel if you would like to see Forest Dunes' rooms and clubhouse

This is one of the best review/travel log threads I've seen here. Nice pictures, great swing, and even better scores too.

I'm headed to Forest Dunes this week and am really looking forward to it. Probably won't play from all the way back, but from the sounds of it, it'll be a real challenge regardless.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1406652118' post='9810157']
This is one of the best review/travel log threads I've seen here. Nice pictures, great swing, and even better scores too.

I'm headed to Forest Dunes this week and am really looking forward to it. Probably won't play from all the way back, but from the sounds of it, it'll be a real challenge regardless.
[/quote]

I appreciate all the kind words, but honestly I am just a avid golfer who would rather spend my possible income on nice courses than designer clothes and video games. As for the tees, the great thing about Forest Dunes is with the variety of tees (4 tees making 6 combinations) there is a distance for everyone.

[quote name='ssf301' timestamp='1406666715' post='9811617']
Great info and great course reviews. Thanks for posting. My group is considering a trip in the Traverse City area in the future. Sounds like there are some really nice courses there.
[/quote]

Thank you as well for the kind words. Hearing all the positive feedback has definitely made me willing to do more reviews in the future. Also, the family and I went to Traverse City many years ago for a golf tournament for me, and I haven't been back since. It was one of the best trips we have taken with some memories off the course (walking 1/2 into the lake on a giant sandbar only to drop off to 20+ deep water) that will stick with me forever.

Well, after hearing so much positive feedback, I have decided to do more of these reviews as I go. I can't say much just yet, however, I recently got the opportunity to play the highest course on my bucket list.. If all goes well, I will have a review up in a week or two.

[quote name='NCWolfpack' timestamp='1406651487' post='9810075']
As for Forest Dunes, it really is a great course and an awesome place to stay. I know you said you have lodging connection in the area, however, lodging is an extra $51 per person which includes breakfast, and unlimited use of the range with your own cart. I will be the first to admit you don't save much by staying on site at Arcadia, however, I believe the convenience and amenities of staying literally on the first tee makes up for $51. It is certainly your call, however, I would go to Forest Dunes and stay on site.

P.S. I have pictures of every hotel if you would like to see Forest Dunes' rooms and clubhouse
[/quote]

Thx for the offer NC. However, the lodging connection I mentioned is on Houghton Lake (about 20 miles s. of FD). Cabin (sleeps 8 comfortably), nearby courses for the ladies to play, beach, pontoon boat at our disposal and most importantly.........its free (buddy owns the place). We spent the 4th there. Just have never gotten around to playing FD having been that close on several occasions.

Perhaps I've been remiss in adding my kudos for this excellent thread you have created. I can appreciate the time involved with adding the pics, writing the commentary and getting everything "just right" before tapping the post button. Not a quick and simple process.

Looking forward to your next "bucket list" review.

Just a short story here, yesterday I was playing at my home club and was reminded how small of a world it truly is. I was waiting on the sixth tee when the twosome ahead of us let us play up with them to make a foursome. We were going through the usual introduction when I saw this mans hat was from Timber Stone. I asked when he played and he said a couple weeks ago. Needless to say we go about hitting our tee shots when the conversation continues and the man tells me, "We played in a slight drizzle all day long, but the course was very enjoyable." That statement made me ask what day he played, as we just got back a few weeks ago. He respond by telling me that they were suppose to play at 9:30 with another twosome, however, the twosome played the night before to avoid the rain. If you read my review of Timber Stone you might notice we played at sunset.... to avoid the rain the next day. All in all, they were the group we were suppose to play with at Timber Stone, little did I know they were members at my club.

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1406641854' post='9808885']
[quote name='NCWolfpack' timestamp='1406636664' post='9808345']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I would say the pace was most likely due to it being senior day. Last summer I played and the group in front of us was very slow and the ranger moved the group up a hole. It was the first time at a nice pubic course I saw a ranger move a group.

I feel that a point of clarification is in order. I do not know EXACTLY what happened on the tee of hole #12 that day. That means: 1. Did the marshall tell them to move up. 2. Encourage them to move up. 3. They moved up on their own accord. All I know is that standing in the fairway of #18, watching the group walk off the green, they appeared to be quite worn out.

And yes I fully understand that it was Senior day. That was why we were playing then!!! The pace really was a non-issue with us. We were enjoying ourselves.

It may be prudent for the young guns and shooters to choose another time to play.

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1406751241' post='9819117']
I feel that a point of clarification is in order. I do not know EXACTLY what happened on the tee of hole #12 that day. That means: 1. Did the marshall tell them to move up. 2. Encourage them to move up. 3. They moved up on their own accord. All I know is that standing in the fairway of #18, watching the group walk off the green, they appeared to be quite worn out.

And yes I fully understand that it was Senior day. That was why we were playing then!!! The pace really was a non-issue with us. We were enjoying ourselves.

It may be prudent for the young guns and shooters to choose another time to play.
[/quote]

No need to clarify, I completely understand. As for the young guns comment, at Arcadia it can be a five hour round for all I care - it's Arcadia we're talking about.

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1406716100' post='9815411']
Thx for the offer NC. However, the lodging connection I mentioned is on Houghton Lake (about 20 miles s. of FD). Cabin (sleeps 8 comfortably), nearby courses for the ladies to play, beach, pontoon boat at our disposal and most importantly.........its free (buddy owns the place). We spent the 4th there. Just have never gotten around to playing FD having been that close on several occasions.

Perhaps I've been remiss in adding my kudos for this excellent thread you have created. I can appreciate the time involved with adding the pics, writing the commentary and getting everything "just right" before tapping the post button. Not a quick and simple process.

[u]Looking forward to your next "bucket list" review.[/u]
[/quote]

Just got back late last night from the round. Basically, due to the clubs rich history and insanely strict rules, I was only able to play with my connection after the shop closes. With that being said, we played the first 11 holes and I will be going back next week to finish the round. All I can say is Arcadia lost it's spot as #2 in my favorite course, albeit, not by much. It's days like this I realize that I really have quiet the life :taunt:

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='nellycuz' timestamp='1408274098' post='9950577']
Great write up and photos! I'm trying to organize a trip to Michigan for golf in the neaaar future. Thanks for the reviews!
[/quote]

Thank you! I'm glad I could help in any way possible.