North Myrtle Beach

I am coming down to North Myrtle Beach 9-1/9-6 as a single and am looking for premium courses to play. I am staying in Barefoot and plan to play the Wednesday I am there when they have discounted green fees. Also interested in playing Tidewater if they have any specials going on.

Golf courses that I have heard good things about but have never played included Farmstead, Thistle and Surf Club, and Grande Dunes. Also perhaps River's Edge? Any comments on these courses and present conditions/specials?

Any other comments also welcomed.

Much appreciated !!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Farmstead is a nice place with a Par 6 that goes from South to North Carolina.

Shaftsberry Glenn will be in great shape and is a very nice course.

Grande Dunes is a wicked nice course and recommended.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

I just got back from Myrtle last week. It was a family vacation so I only got in two rounds. But I did go on a golf only trip in April where I played exclusively in North Myrtle. I would recommend the Dye course at Barefoot. I would usually recommend the Fazio course also, but I played there on Monday and the greens were atrocious. They were bumpier than my local Muni. Totally not up to Barefoot standards. I also played Thistle last week and it was in great shape. I really like all 3 nines there. Very unique holes. They also gave great evening rates.Tidewater is beautiful, but make sure you call and ask how their greens are doing. They have had serious issues with them all year. If the greens are good you have to play it. Grand Dunes is super nice, but super expensive. I would also suggest Tigers Eye at the Big Cats. Leopards Chase is good too, and gets all the hype, but Tigers Eye has much more personality IMO. Farmstead is a good option. If you want to play a real hidden gem drive up to Cape Fear National one day. It is about an hour North of Barefoot, but trust me it is well worth the drive. Another tip I have for you is to go online and get yourself a Myrtle Beach Passport. It will save you a ton of money, they also have exclusive tournaments for card holders. As a matter of fact I think there is a two man Texas Scramble at Thistle on 9/2. I'm sure they could get you paired up with someone.

Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana D+
Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

Tidewater just replaced all of their greens and reopened in August. I'm sure they have a good deal for you to play if you don't mind the greens.

At Barefoot, the Fazio is my favorite and the Dye is nice but is a tough course. I like Love too but Norman is my least favorite easily.

Up on the North side Grande Dunes is a great course and Pine Lakes is fun too.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

Played Surf Club two weeks ago and loved it. Classic track.

Ping G25 @ 9degrees/TFC 189D stiff
Callaway XHot2 pro/13.5 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Titleist 913H/19 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Ping s55/4-W/KBS Tour R+ [ .5 long]
Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04
Scotty Cameron California Monterrey

Looks like I'm on the right track.

I have played Fazio (twice) and Dye once. Dye kicked my a** the first go around so I'm looking to get back on the track and seek revenge.

Grande Dunes is running a great special in the afternoons so that will be a must.

Much appreciated info. on Tidewater. I have played there already numerous times so I think ill skip even if open.

Tiger's Eye sounds very appealing. Would you guys pick that over Farmstead and/or Surf's Club?

Would love to do Cape Fear National but my wife and 7 year old are down as well and I don't want to spend the whole day away.

Thanks to all for the responses so far. Very informative, which is why I love this board !

Keep the comments coming.

I live exactly 3586 yards from the first tee of Cape Fear National. (Different development though). Worth the drive....have your
wife drive and go into Wilmington, (great downtown area shopping, cape fear museum, and children's museum downtown)
The Ocean Ridge Courses are in great shape (Playing there Thur, hoping for 36)
Farmstead is great also....
Golf card from the Grand Strand Golf Assoc....will save lots of money.....
River's Edge is not in my rotation, everyone in the family that visits wants to play there. if you are hitting it straight
it is good, if not, not much room to miss....

Look at a map. Cape Fear is a pretty long drive. There are a lot of good courses between Barefoot and Cape Fear. Courses like Thistle, Surf and Farmstead are fine, but not among my favorites in NMB. Shaftsbury is usually in good condition, but is nowhere near the course that its sister courses, Heather Glen and Glen Dornoch are. Thistle is always in great shape, but doesn't have many exceptional holes.

I would play Tigers Eye and Leopards Chase over Farmstead or Surf

Starting at Barefoot and working my way north to cape Fear, these would be my top dozen choices:

Barefoot Dye
Barefoot Love
Barefoot Fazio
Tidewater
Heather Glen
Glen Dornoch
Oyster Bay
Tigers Eye
Leopards Chase
Rivers Edge
Bald Head Island
Cape Fear National

Just a bit South of Barefoot are Grande Dunes and The Dunes Club. The Dunes Club is one of the best in MB.

If you can get a deal at Grand Dunes, go for it. If you play Barefoot, Grande Dunes, the Dunes Club and Tigers Eye, you'll have played the best of the area.

I was down there three weeks ago. The Dye course had just top dressed the greens. I wish I could blame my poor play on that. It kicked my butt, too.

Farmstead was really nice, greens were excellent. 2nd time I've played it. I like it. ($24 afternoon rate for NC resident made it even sweeter.)

Grande Dunes Resort was $50. I had a 1:00 tee time. Very nice course. I loved the layout.

Play well!

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

Here are my suggestions for "premium" courses:

Grand Dunes
The Dunes Club
Surf Club
Caledonia (it will take you as long to drive here as to Rivers Edge)

I played Leopards Chase a couple of weeks ago and the greens were the worst I've ever seen them. Like putting on the middle of the fairway. Actually, the fairway might have been shorter. The staff there was awful as well. No one thanked us for coming out with 25 players and when we got in ready to complain about the greens, the only person around was the 65 year old lady manning the snack shop.

I stayed at Barefoot a few years ago and played all those courses. I was surprised how much I liked the Love course. In fact, if I had to rank them on my level of enjoyment it would be 1) Love, 2) Dye, 3) Fazio, 9) Norman. Didn't care for the Norman design. :)

I've also played Tidewater a number of times and thought it was a great track if the greens are ready by the time you get there.

[quote name='ssf301' timestamp='1407951504' post='9925369']
I stayed at Barefoot a few years ago and played all those courses. I was surprised how much I liked the Love course. In fact, if I had to rank them on my level of enjoyment it would be 1) Love, 2) Dye, 3) Fazio, 9) Norman. Didn't care for the Norman design. :)

I've also played Tidewater a number of times and thought it was a great track if the greens are ready by the time you get there.
[/quote]

Tidewater is closed til 20th or later of september, check their website. we were going to play it as we do every year, but we leave on 15th and it won't be reopened by then. Barefoot Fazio, shaftsbury glen, rivers edge and thistle are all better than Farmstead and Surf Club. I also enjoyed Love and Dye courses at barefoot, but some people hate Pete Dye courses, all subjective. At Surf club last year they had 4/5 greens totally destroyed (Punched large holes/and other damage that looked like someone drove snowmobiles or dirt bikes all over them) still charging full boat/staff sucked...boring old parkland cc style course you could play anywhere in the u.s. haven't ever seen Dunes Club discounted, but my group playing it for first time this year.

[quote name='eagles1' timestamp='1407895935' post='9921547']

I have played Fazio (twice) and Dye once. Dye kicked my a** the first go around so I'm looking to get back on the track and seek revenge.

Grande Dunes is running a great special in the afternoons so that will be a must.

Much appreciated info. on Tidewater. I have played there already numerous times so I think ill skip even if open.

Tiger's Eye sounds very appealing. Would you guys pick that over Farmstead and/or Surf's Club?

Would love to do Cape Fear National but my wife and 7 year old are down as well and I don't want to spend the whole day away.

Thanks to all for the responses so far. Very informative, which is why I love this board !

[/quote]

Tiger's eye or thistle way better than Farmstead and Surf club. Check aerification schedules for tiger's eye/leopards chase. they aerate greens on the 3rd or 5th, i believe so u may have to start out there in ur trip.

[quote name='eagles1' timestamp='1407895935' post='9921547']

[/quote]

I'd urge you to reconsider Cape Fear. It's my favorite course in the area (that I've played). Tidewater, Grande Dunes, River's Edge, Glen Dornoch, Tiger's Eye and Leopard's Chase are all good choices too (although I haven't been down in several years - hopefully my info isn't dated).

I agree with another post about Thistle not really having any super memorable holes; although the uphill 190 yard Par 3 ,with bunkers guarding the front, 9th hole on the Stewart course can quickly become remembered for the hole that kicked your a**. Thistle is a good track though because: 1. Its always in great shape, 2. Its a course that a low handicapper can feel challenged on, but will not stress a
out high handicappers.

I can't say enough about Tigers Eye. I think it is probably the most underrated course in North Myrtle. Every hole has so much personality. Don't pass it up.

If your looking for a really fun track, that always has great specials, play at Blackmoor. It is a Gary Player design. It has a lot of reachable Par 5's, and has a really cool split fairway hole too.

Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

Based upon the above, I'm definitely going to give "Tiger's Eye" a go.

Quick question: Are the rates given at PGA store for "next day" play better than the "next day" rates found on www.mbn.com? Also, is there another website that offers "next day" rates better than the rates at mbn?

I'm a single.

Thanks

[quote name='eagles1' timestamp='1408025739' post='9931479']

Quick question: Are the rates given at PGA store for "next day" play better than the "next day" rates found on www.mbn.com? Also, is there another website that offers "next day" rates better than the rates at mbn?

I'm a single.

Thanks
[/quote]

I'd say your safest bet to save money is getting the Myrtle Beach Passport. It costs you $30 bucks, but pretty much every course in Myrtle participates in their discounts, even the high end places like Caledonia and The Grande Dunes

Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

[quote name='Armypilot84' timestamp='1408027322' post='9931709']

I'm a single.

Thanks
[/quote]

I'd say your safest bet to save money is getting the Myrtle Beach Passport. It costs you $30 bucks, but pretty much every course in Myrtle participates in their discounts, even the high end places like Caledonia and The Grande Dunes
[/quote]

I checked out the MB Passport online and it said you have to be a resident of the surrounding counties to qualify. There is a Snowbird option that is good for non-residents from December to March, basically.

If anyone knows a way to get the Passport without being a resident, I would love to know.

Thanks!

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

[quote name='mwkbmw' timestamp='1408046404' post='9934849']

I'm a single.

Thanks
[/quote]

[/quote]

I checked out the MB Passport online and it said you have to be a resident of the surrounding counties to qualify. There is a Snowbird option that is good for non-residents from December to March, basically.

If anyone knows a way to get the Passport without being a resident, I would love to know.

Thanks!
[/quote]

Yes - I am seeing the same thing. I also just contacted the folks and they said Passport was ONLY available to property owner of select counties in the Carolina's.

Am I missing something ?

I'm a single.

Thanks
[/quote]
Grand Strand Golf Association is who I use to play all of the courses.....http://www.mygolfnus.com/

[quote name='sabram' timestamp='1407899971' post='9922001']
Look at a map. Cape Fear is a pretty long drive. There are a lot of good courses between Barefoot and Cape Fear. Courses like Thistle, Surf and Farmstead are fine, but not among my favorites in NMB. Shaftsbury is usually in good condition, but is nowhere near the course that its sister courses, Heather Glen and Glen Dornoch are. Thistle is always in great shape, but doesn't have many exceptional holes.

Starting at Barefoot and working my way north to cape Fear, these would be my top dozen choices:

Barefoot Dye
Barefoot Love
Barefoot Fazio
Tidewater
Heather Glen
Glen Dornoch
Oyster Bay
Tigers Eye
Leopards Chase
Rivers Edge
Bald Head Island
Cape Fear National

Just a bit South of Barefoot are Grande Dunes and The Dunes Club. The Dunes Club is one of the best in MB.

If you can get a deal at Grand Dunes, go for it. If you play Barefoot, Grande Dunes, the Dunes Club and Tigers Eye, you'll have played the best of the area.
[/quote]

Played Oyster Bay today. $38 included breakfast and lunch. Teed off shortly after 9 am, never had to wait. Tees in good condition, fairways in excellent condition except for hole #2, greens were very good although I thought they were a bit grainy (I'm used to bent greens). Oyster Bay is very good design that is showing it's age due to financial troubles. Still an enjoyable place to play golf.

Driver Callaway GBB 10.5*
3, 5, 7 Woods/Hybrids Callaway XR
Irons Ping G30 5-U
Wedge Cleveland 588 58*
Putter Cameron Newport 2

[quote name='eagles1' timestamp='1408114004' post='9940775']

I'm a single.

Thanks
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks!
[/quote]

Yes - I am seeing the same thing. I also just contacted the folks and they said Passport was ONLY available to property owner of select counties in the Carolina's.

Am I missing something ?
[/quote]

They opened the Passport up to all people for a while, but just recently changed back to property owners.

[quote name='operator' timestamp='1408238007' post='9949177']
[quote name='sabram' timestamp='1407899971' post='9922001']

Barefoot Dye
Barefoot Love
Barefoot Fazio
Tidewater
Heather Glen
Glen Dornoch
Oyster Bay
Tigers Eye
Leopards Chase
Rivers Edge
Bald Head Island
Cape Fear National

[/quote]

[b]Played Oyster Bay today. $38 included breakfast and lunch. Teed off shortly after 9 am, never had to wait.[/b] Tees in good condition, fairways in excellent condition except for hole #2, greens were very good although I thought they were a bit grainy (I'm used to bent greens). Oyster Bay is very good design that is showing it's age due to financial troubles. Still an enjoyable place to play golf.
[/quote]

Great value ! How'd you get that deal ???

[quote name='isles1' timestamp='1408467942' post='9965973']
[quote name='eagles1' timestamp='1408114004' post='9940775']

I'm a single.

Thanks
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks!
[/quote]

Am I missing something ?
[/quote]

They opened the Passport up to all people for a while, but just recently changed back to property owners.
[/quote]

The past few years the Passport was open to anyone. Starting 2015 the Passport will be closed out to anyone who isn't a resident of select counties in SC and NC.

It turned into a poo-storm here at the golf courses with people using the Passport to play it basically was undercutting the industry bookings thru hotels and such. Seeing the passport closed to vacationers IMO is a good thing for the courses, not so much the players I understand that.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole