2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Walking the Course: 2 Part Question

gambit

So, I've been walking a lot more, especially when carts aren't included. Sometimes I use a push cart and other times I carry. My questions are this:

1. Is it ever easier to carry instead of push, especially on hilly courses where you can't use the short cut that's basically a narrow walking path and the green to next tee box is super far?

2. At what point do I not get tired from walking during a round? Yesterday I played a really good front 9 for the most part, but on 11 I really started feeling it with hills. I was more tired from walking than I am from running. Also, my sides are more sore from playing and walking than hitting a ton of balls on the range?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With today's modern carts the only time I'd think it would be easier to carry than push is when the terrain is really bad. But typically pushing will be easier. Even if you're in fantastic shape, walking 18 holes will fatigue you to some degree. Odds are your seeing it effect your play, but overtime that will lessen. As you get accustom to walking and playing your body will get better and performing while tired, it just takes time.

[quote name='hollabachgt' timestamp='1408558197' post='9974053']
With today's modern carts the only time I'd think it would be easier to carry than push is when the terrain is really bad. But typically pushing will be easier. Even if you're in fantastic shape, walking 18 holes will fatigue you to some degree. Odds are your seeing it effect your play, but overtime that will lessen. As you get accustom to walking and playing your body will get better and performing while tired, it just takes time.
[/quote]

Agreed on carrying. The only way carrying would be easier would be if you had a set of graphite irons.

With steel, pushing will always be easier.

As was said already, you will almost always be better off pushing than carrying, especially if you are currently getting somewhat worn out by the 11th hole. Because you are walking, you may want to consider putting some/more snacks in the bag to help keep the energy up. I know when I walk I typically will have smaller snacks more frequently than when I ride. That, along with walking more and more has helped me to be able to not feel the fatigue as much as when I started. Give it time so that your body is more used to it and you will be better for it.

I spend a lot of time in the trees looking for wayward drives - much easier to get in & out with the bag on the back than pushing. I have tried pushing, and find it a different type of effort than carrying. Also, walking allows me to take more direct routes around greens etc.

With time the walking becomes easier - over the winter spend some time on the treadmill with a weighted backpack (make sure you maintain good posture though).

I'm going to have to disagree with most here. With double straps and light weight bags it will almost always be less tiresome carrying than pushing. With pushing you must go around tees, greens etc. plus pushing up hill is WAY harder than walking with clubs on your back. I will say I was under the assumption that pushing was easier and have done that for the past few years. This year a friend of mine went back to carrying and I can see why. I will from now on only carry or take a power cart. No more pushing for this guy, I have seen the light.

[quote name='ratspros' timestamp='1408560308' post='9974317']
I'm going to have to disagree with most here. With double straps and light weight bags it will almost be less tiresome carrying than pushing. With pushing you must go around tees, greens etc. plus pushing up hill is WAY harder than walking with clubs on your back. I will say I was under the assumption that pushing was easier and have done that for the past few years. This year a friend of mine went back to carrying and I can see why. I will from now on only carry or take a power cart. No more pushing for this guy, I have seen the light.
[/quote]

I walk whenever I can, and agree with this. Those push/pull carts seem to be much more of a burden than they are worth, tires pick up goose crap and stink up the trunk, I've seen more club damage done because of them toppling over. Lightweight bag with double straps for me!

I´ve always walked and carried, doesn´t tire me tbh, and I like it more than pushing (which I´ve done maybe 3 rounds), it feels more "free" or something. It´s not like you carry something very heavy or walk a long distance in high tempo anyway. The one excemption have been this summer with the ungodly heat, but I found walking over my lawn tiresome then so...

I do both and I think both has pros and cons. When I use push cart I can carry more stuffs, H2O, wet towels, even food, but I have to follow the smooth-ish path and no short cut thru bushes. Carry is more mobile and you can stand your bag next to the green, going from green to tee is also easier as I can pick straightest route most time. I can also use the stair instead of going around the long cart path route. It's more taxing when you carry than using push cart.

All good insight. Like others have said the uphill push and inability to take a more direct route (eg. to green, next tee box, etc.) is taxing.The trade off is being able to carry all the 'extra' stuff, like water, range finder, full 14 clubs, etc. I have a new Sun Mountain 3.5 that I've used to carry on flat courses. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and try carrying on a hillier course to see how it affects me, particularly my back and hamstrings. Food is something I need to think about to. I usually never ever eat when I'm playing. It's amazing how tiring walking a course can be. I'm not in the best shape anymore, and trying to get back there, but I can run miles through hills and not be as tired as I am after a round.

I walk three days a week with a Clicgear cart and a SM Hybrid bag. I find that the advantages of carrying are not enough to [u]not[/u] use a cart. A few years ago I bought a Callaway 4.0 stand bag that was light and worked well and I used it for one year. It was an experiment to see if it [u]was[/u] easier to carry than use a cart. And while it was OK, I was always worried about what I was bringing in the bag to keep the weight down. I always bring three bottles of water with me with a cart and cut it to two when carrying, which I hated. You can't depend on the course for good water when you need it. And then in the winter, after shedding the early morning jacket or sweater, you have to carry that extra weight [u]in[/u] your bag, or both. And if you have to bring an umbrella and rain gear too, oh my. I've found it's just easier to use a cart and not worry about a few extra pounds. Granted, it is harder to push a cart uphill than carry, the lack of carrying all that bag weight on my back and not having to pick it up and put it on and take it off all day is well worth the pushing effort. This is what works for me and it [u]does[/u] get easier to use the more you walk with a cart. And you can push a cart almost anywhere you can walk here in San Diego. Is that not the case in most places?

[quote name='shanx' timestamp='1408569858' post='9975307']
Oh man, I gotta eat when I play. Not just at the turn, every few holes. Usually toss a bananna or some sort of protien bar in the bag and pick at it during the round. It will help fight fatigue too. Drink lotsa water too!
[/quote]Got to agree with you here. Watch the guys on tour, they are [u]always[/u] drinking water between shots. And a peanut-butter and jelly sandwich worked for Billy Casper and many others. Eat something for sure.

I carried my cubs in a midsized bag until I was about 35, then used a pull cart which I found to be work, about 6-7 years ago I bought a Sun Mountain Speedcart and I have to say it is WAY less work then carry.

Big Bertha Alpha 815 Speeder 565 R or TMAG SIM max Riptide R shaft
XHot Callaway 3w
19, 23 & 26 X2Hot Callaway
5 to Gap Apex DCB Recoil Dart F3
Scotty Kombi
52/11 Cleveland CBX 56 Tmag ATV

If i knew 35 years ago what i know today .... i would have never carried a bag ....i would have used a battery operated trolley ..... it is easier on shoulders,back , knees and any other body parts used during the carrying process .... it is rarely thought of while in your 20's but anything that might save physical issues when over 50 or older is worth the effort

[quote name='shaffe' timestamp='1408579190' post='9976215']
10 years ago when I was in my late 20s I was walkig 18 at least 4 days a week. I didn't have an ounce of fat on me and could go forever ... Ten years later and only 10 pounds heavier, I'm tired after playing 18 with a cart. The benefit of walking is amazing.
[/quote]

10 years ago, when I was in my late 20s, I could bench 3 plates and run a half marathon for fun. Now all I want to do is lift a beer.

I purchased my first push cart (Clicgear 8.0) this past weekend and took it on its maiden voyage on Sunday morning. I can say that it wasn't the game changing experience I had expected/anticipated. I have had a lot of folks tell me that once you push, you will never carry again. I did find that to be the case. While I can see the advantage of being able to load it with tons of stuff, I found that my legs were far more fatigued from pushing. I guess the fact that the course was really wet, there was cut grass everywhere (in the rough where I play) and is moderately hilly may have played a roll. I will try it again when it is dry, but for now, the new push cart will just take up space in my car.

Taylormade M1
Titleist 913F 13*
Mizuno MP-54
Vokey 52 and 56
Piretti Potenza II

I play the Bay Area. Carrying is easier at many of these courses due to the rough terrain. You get used to the walk and think less about being tired after awhile. I also cycle, so I like the 6.5 mile walk (GPS and pedometer measured) inclusive of transitions between holes.

What Is and What Should Never Be

Ever since I developed low back problems a few years ago I've stopped carrying and use a Sun Mountain push cart. I can carry, but I'd pay for it heavily the next day. So my answer is it's easier to push.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I have to agree with what a few others have stated. Generally I prefer walking the course, and when I do I carry my bag but only because I'm too cheap to buy a push cart. The few times I've rented a push cart at the course I've found the round significantly less taxing. I'm in pretty good shape and I don't really get tired from walking, but after 18 holes with the backpack straps my shoulders get a bit sore which negatively effects my swing. Also with the added weight my feet are more likely to get sore when carrying. When I've used a push cart instead of carrying, I feel perfectly fine after 18. I'm actually thinking of investing in a clicgear (peer pressure from the clicgear mafia over in the VA/DC/MD thread)

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

I have a carry bag and a cart bag and I use both about the same. The convenience of carrying is nice sometimes, but I feel like I get tired faster from carrying than pushing a cart. I don't own my own pushcart, but I have seen some fancy set-ups on the course. Carrying is a pretty big compromise I think. You want to keep the weight down so you don't bother with raingear and you take less water and other comfort stuff. The problem with switching bags though is that something always gets forgotten....like the Bushnell. The other thing with carrying, if its hot out and you are sweaty, that bag of clubs hanging on you doesn't give your body any time to breathe and air out and those straps start rubbing on your sweaty wet shoulders and irritating the heck out of you.

[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1408557077' post='9973919']
So, I've been walking a lot more, especially when carts aren't included. Sometimes I use a push cart and other times I carry. My questions are this:

1. Is it ever easier to carry instead of push, especially on hilly courses where you can't use the short cut that's basically a narrow walking path and the green to next tee box is super far?

2. At what point do I not get tired from walking during a round? Yesterday I played a really good front 9 for the most part, but on 11 I really started feeling it with hills. I was more tired from walking than I am from running. Also, my sides are more sore from playing and walking than hitting a ton of balls on the range?
[/quote]

I start to fade after about 13 holes....guess I need to get in better shape