The Grint Golf App

Anyone else using the Grint golf app?

I have been looking for a good stat tracking app for a long time and I think this might be it for me. It is apparently even capable of giving you a recognized USGA handicap which I know not many other apps do. I'll admit that I do not use the GPS feature because I have my laser for that but the other features of the app are pretty cool.

Stat tracking is really easy and done hole by hole. Giving you the option to select where you missed the fair, if you hit a bunker, which side of the green you came up short on etc...along with the standard putts and strokes.

It doesn't suck up too much battery on my phone while in use (remember the GPS is off).

And a neat feature I haven't tried yet is supposedly you can take a pic of your scorecard and it will read it and automatically enter the scores for you. Again haven't tried it yet so YMMV on that one. Also there is a link to your camera on every hole where you can snag a pic per hole you play if you wanted to as well.

After you track your stats they are all nicely presented in graph form with a trending line allowing you to identify your strengths and weaknesses as well as see what direction you are heading in each area.

http://www.thegrint.com/

Right now I am just using the free version but might pay the $20 for advanced stat tracking at the beginning of next spring for the season since I just started using this and honestly only have about 2 months of golf left in Michigan.

[quote name='ThreeOffTheTee' timestamp='1408810325' post='9993325']
I think I've pretty much tried every app out there and this one looks pretty good, but they don't have a full Android version yet, but supposedly that's on its way.

I'm a little confused on why a bunkers are tracked as penalties. Can anyone shed some light on that?
[/quote]

I don't know if they are tracked as penalties in terms of penalty shots. I think the advanced stat tracking allows you to look at your percentages of saving par from fairway bunkers/greenside bunkers etc... so it's essentially letting you know you were hitting from trouble or is a way of marking trouble on a hole but not actually considering it a "penalty" stroke.

I tried it today for the first time. It took me about a hole to get used to entering the data and by the third hole I was actually liking the data entry. Still confused on why the consider bunker shots a penalty and it appears that they add .5 to your plenty count.

I think this is going to be my goto app. It is a bit buggy, but it show a lot of promise and I like the stats that it keeps. I seldom if ever use my phone for the GPS though, I'd rather use my rangefinder for distance. So I can't really speak to that. I wasn't able to track a club and I think that might because I'm using the free version.

My experience hasn't been all rainbows and unicorns though. I did lose my entire round part way through, but I think that might have been a user error, but still it was too easy to do. I am also having trouble uploading my round to their server as it appears down. My biggest complaint is that it appears that I can't add friends to my round unless they sign up for Grint. I find that kind of cheesy and a bit of a lameass move. I hate to say this, as I really like the app, but that might end up being a deal breaker for me.

Here's a list of some of the apps I have used the past 3 years. Starting with my most recent and working backwards.

Grint
GolfShot GPS
GolfShot - was comped a free PRO version. Used one round. Hated it.
GolfShot GPS
GPT
mScorecard
Skydroid
GolfLogix - Only App I missed when I gave up my iPhone and went to BB. Switched to Android and was so excited to use this app again, I bought it without trying it. Man, did they ever screw it up.
mScorecard - BB Z10
GolfLogix - iOS

I'm sure there's a few more that I've forgotten about.

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1408827254' post='9994505']
I used it once. It was so bad, I went through the trouble of posting a negative review in the App Store. I hate everything about it.

Awkward to use, in my opinion. There are plenty of much better programs out there.
[/quote]

I'm sure you've posted it before, but if you don't mind me asking, what's your favourite app and why?

[quote name='ThreeOffTheTee' timestamp='1409705154' post='10053171']
[quote name='timebomb' timestamp='1409630223' post='10048109']
This thing looks identical to Golf Shots, what's the difference?

Mike
[/quote]

I find The Grint quicker to enter your data and if you pay for the pro version it has way more stats than Golf Shots does.
[/quote]

Same reasons here. Just a smoother app, with a better presentation of data and a little more depth. I'm also not sure if Golfshot does official Handicaps or not either?

• 9 months later...

I currently use freecaddie and love it. Front Middle Back is all I need at my ability.

How is The Grint on battery life of phone?

I'm looking at it for HCP and for Leaderboard for our weekly league. Hoping everyone can see scores of each other.

Driver  G425 Ping Tour 65 R

3 Wood G410  Tensi Orange

G410 3 Hybrid Tensi Blue

G410 4 Hybrid Alta CB R

G425 Alta Graphite R 5-UW

Glide 54 & 58

Redwood Anser 

Q-Star Tour

I am going to try out the free one then see how i like it.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

[quote name='loc' timestamp='1434723342' post='11784812']
I currently use freecaddie and love it. Front Middle Back is all I need at my ability.

I'm looking at it for HCP and for Leaderboard for our weekly league. Hoping everyone can see scores of each other.
[/quote]

Not sure about the Live Leaderboard aspect as I don't play in leagues but battery life is great. I don't use the GPS feature though, so that's going to vary greatly if you are using the GPS.

• 2 weeks later...

[b]How is The Grint on battery life of phone?[/b]

[/quote]

I used the GPS for the first time today and it was fine. I haven't used the leaderboard though.

I think the app is great, very simple layout, easy to input data, etc. Great for keeping statistics.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Titleist 910D3 Tour AD-DI
Titleist 910F 19* Project X
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW KBS Tour-V
Titleist SM5 50*F/54*M/58*K KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Select Newport[/font]

I use thegrint on my computer at home only. The phone app is clunky. I have my official hc, for free, and the rest is done elsewhere.

For what it's worth, I was able to find a tournament round through it, and it made my hc truly official.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

I like to use The Grint as a supplement for stats online. I tend to use GolfShot on course for its shot tracking capabilities. Until Grint incorporates a way to do that, i'll probably stay with Golfshot when I'm on course.

The strengths that Grint has though are really good. Their stat tracking is a bit more streamlined and intuitive IMO. The USGA compliant handicap is also a plus. Golfshot provides the option to post to your local club for handicap purposes as well, but it just costs a little more $ to do.

Both apps are good in my opinion. I use them both regularly.

Hope this helps

• Adams Speedline VST 10.5*
  • Adams Speedline VST 15*
  • Callaway Mavrik 4i-AW
  • Titleist Vokey SM5 52*/10
  • Adams Tom Watson 56*/12
  • Adams Tom Watson 60*/08
  • Odyssey White Hot Pro #1

[quote name='matchavez' timestamp='1436218134' post='11898780']I use thegrint on my computer at home only. The phone app is clunky. I have my official hc, for free, and the rest is done elsewhere.

For what it's worth, I was able to find a tournament round through it, and it made my hc truly official.[/quote]

Mat, where else do you keep your handicap?

What's In My Bag:

Driver - Titleist TS3 - Tensei Blue Stiff
3W - Titleist TS2 - Kuro Cage Stiff
3H - Titleist 818 H2 - 19 - Tensei Blue Stiff
4H - Titleist 818 H2 - 21 - Tensei Blue Stiff
5i - 48 Gap - Titleist 718 AP3
Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM7 53 S Grind & 58 M Grind
Putter - Scotty Cameron Futura 5M
Bag - Titleist Players 5 Stand bag
Ball - Titleist AVX
Glove - FootJoy Rain Glove
Watch - Apple Watch 2nd Generation with The Grint App, Shot Scope V2
Laser - Bushnell Tour Z6 Jolt
ClicGear 3.5+ - Blued Out!
======================================
The Grint - Club Chairman / Grint Tour Director - North Texas

[quote name='Trane5' timestamp='1436763652' post='11937576']
[quote name='matchavez' timestamp='1436218134' post='11898780']I use thegrint on my computer at home only. The phone app is clunky. I have my official hc, for free, and the rest is done elsewhere.

For what it's worth, I was able to find a tournament round through it, and it made my hc truly official.[/quote]

[/quote]

For practical purposes, I'm still using Golfshot's auto calculation. It's roughly the same, but because I enter all of my stats there, I don't bother re-entering them over on Grint. I just put the scores in.

I think I'm going to break down and buy Gamegolf... and then ditch Golfshot and use Grint for HC still. I *really* wish I could use Gamegolf for an official GHIN. That's alright though... not a big deal.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

[quote name='matchavez' timestamp='1436918568' post='11950126'][quote name='Trane5' timestamp='1436763652' post='11937576']

[/quote]

For practical purposes, I'm still using Golfshot's auto calculation. It's roughly the same, but because I enter all of my stats there, I don't bother re-entering them over on Grint. I just put the scores in.

I think I'm going to break down and buy Gamegolf... and then ditch Golfshot and use Grint for HC still. I *really* wish I could use Gamegolf for an official GHIN. That's alright though... not a big deal.[/quote]

I have a buddy who had the Game Golf system and loves it! I'm considering it too.....that Arcross (perhaps misspelled) looks really cool and has had great reviews!

What's In My Bag:

Ball - Titleist AVX

[quote name='Trane5' timestamp='1436926439' post='11951130']
[quote name='matchavez' timestamp='1436918568' post='11950126'][quote name='Trane5' timestamp='1436763652' post='11937576']

[/quote]

I think I'm going to break down and buy Gamegolf... and then ditch Golfshot and use Grint for HC still. I *really* wish I could use Gamegolf for an official GHIN. That's alright though... not a big deal.[/quote]

I have a buddy who had the Game Golf system and loves it! I'm considering it too.....that Arcross (perhaps misspelled) looks really cool and has had great reviews!
[/quote]

I'd stick to Gamegolf... as nice an idea as Arccos is, 12 grams is losing 2 1/2 swing weights on every club. I'll take the 2 gram thing, myself. Not to mention, Gamegolf is tourney legal. I wish Gamegolf worked with iPhone's NFC... hopefully it will on the 6S.

[/quote]
Hi Loc

Did you get a chance to try TheGrint? Send us an email at [email protected] if you have any questions or need help. We would love to help.

Best!

• 2 weeks later...

Just started playing with the app and enjoy. I have only been using it for HC and some data but using it on a PC does seem easier. I have been uploading my scorecards and about to have my gf sign up. I am excited to see how easy it is to add her scores and track both our handicaps when I input both of them. She just got into so she has only played 27 holes so far, but she wants to get "good" :) so I wanna get her into the app and tracking data. We will see if she gets into it.

[quote name='justasgood' timestamp='1438369425' post='12055530']I won a free pro membership and after 3 weeks....I've given up trying to even get the damn thing to work....[/quote]

What's going on with your app, Justasgood?

What's In My Bag:

Ball - Titleist AVX

The Grint is by far the best app i use. I have actually talked to them about getting a group feature where you can join different groups that people create and see a new feed for the people in the group. The reason i specifically requested it is so we can create a WRX group and see how all the WRX'ers rank up against each other. It would be fun to see where i stand in my rankings of and all the stats compared to you guys. Almost like a WRX leader board. But the Grint is great and does have a lot of glitches and is expensive, but the customer service is great!