Played with some good sticks today... got intimidated.

vbb

Playing with really good players regularly is one of the best things you can do in order to improve. You inevitably pick up small things

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO the most difficult thing to do is to join a new group and discover the skill level is higher than I am accustomed to. So good for you, you will get better.

As you get more comfortable you will be breaking 90, then eventually, you will find yourself thinking a bad round is 85. It just happens playing with better players, you (I) get better, can't explain why, it just happens.

Enjoy the group and try to relax.

[quote name='pwmartin' timestamp='1404782213' post='9656155']
It's all relative, and don't think they can't put up some big numbers. Look at some numbers the Tour guys shoot sometime. You'll see a 62 and a 76 the following day. Those single digit guys will most assured have some 85 + rounds.
[/quote]

Exactly. A few years ago the Michigan PGA had a group of tournaments called "stroke play series", which was local Michigan pros, and was opened to amateurs up to an 8 index. There were some big named local pros, such as ones who had won the Michigan Open in the past.

I was about a 4 at the time, and entered 3 or 4 of them. First one I was ridiculously nervous, popped up my tee shot, and the two pros I was paired with just drove straight to their balls. Guy had to be 100 yards in front of me, and I essentially had to hit my 2nd shot over his head.

Shot probably low-mid 80s in that first one, and I wasn't even close to last place. I was about middle of the pack for the amateurs, and top 2/3s of the field.

Even had one local pro WD because he didn't want to post a big number (shot 46 or so on the front 9).

Also, I think one of the main things is to learn to play your own game. My *good* drives go 240, and I routinely play in tournaments and with buddies who blow it by me 20-50 yards. Yeah, in tournaments it's tough to compete with those guys. Opponent has 150 in (probably 9 iron) and I'm 190-200, either a 2 or 4 hybrid, but I learned to have a killer short game and putt pretty well and I can keep up with many of them.

I always play better when on the course with better players. ( Not that I play good to begin with) I suck eggs when I go out with my wife or my brother for instance, I think it's a focus thing. Perhaps I just treat those rounds as practice, maybe it's those shots and beer :busted_cop:

Ping G410 10*  Fujikuri 40g shaft
TM  15* & 19* fairway

TM 790  6-PW

Cleveland 52,56,60  wedges
1990's 2ball

I agree this will likely only help your game in the long run. Be careful to not try to start managing the course as they do however. A scratch might go for a green when out of position, a 12 is most likely better off laying up to a good yardage. Don't worry about putting up a 94 they won't even notice unless you play too slowly, especially since you sound like a nice guy. The only times it would bother me to play with someone shooting a high number is if 1. They threw clubs 2. They play too slow or 3. They have bad etiquette. If you want to impress better players as a higher hdcp learn to bounce back well from a bad hole or bad shot. That's impressive to any level player.

Taylormade R1 Rip Phenom 65g
Callaway X 21* /Cobra Amp Cell 17*
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw KBS tour 120
Mizuno mp-t4 55* 60*
Taylormade Ghost Manta 34"
Bridgestone B330s

Last year I got the chance to play some Wednesday and Thursday afternoons with some of the low index players at our club.

I just played my own game and chatted with them. It was fun and they didn't seem to mind that I was several strokes behind them after nine.

After a few rounds, I finally noticed that on any given hole - I could compete with them. This realization helped me to go to the next level and drop several strokes off my handicap by the end of the season.

I also got some really nice advice on course management and I got to observe how they got themselves out of trouble... and avoided it.

Gave me the confidence to tee it up with anyone in the future.

Very good players do not care about other players' abilities. Not sure why people get intimidated, I love playing with people better than me.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

I really appreciate all of the positive feedback from everyone thus far. The more I reflect back on the round, the more I'm feeling comfortable about the next time I tee it up with them. I did take mental note of a few things that seem to be reflected in what some of the low handicaps that have responded to my original post have said:
1. My bad stretch started with me pulling a drive into the junk on the left on hole #4 (I was two over through 3 before that, which was hanging just fine). Not only did everyone help me look for my ball, but when I made a pretty ridiculously lucky recovery shot to get out of the crap, they all told me it was a nice shot. Of course I was still very embarrassed for some reason (I had this weird sense that they would all start thinking I sucked and wish that I hadn't been paired with them), and attempted to do too much on my 3rd shot, putting me in bad position again and ending with me having to sink a 6' putt for triple.
2. The very next tee shot after the blow up was one of those drives where you hit about 2" behind the ball, drop-kick the club into your ball, and then watch your ball go about 100yds. I said, "oh great, here we go!" in a sarcastic tone, and the best player in my group was quick to say don't even think about that... you can recover. Sure enough I pured a hybrid shot from there and actually hit it a bit too far, putting me in more trouble. It was one of those shots where you're upset with the result, but kind of impressed you hit it that far at the same time. I carded a double there, but didn't feel TOO bad about it.
3. The next hole after that was the hole I missed the green and then 3 putted... but it was also the hole where the best guy in the group actually hit his approach into the water. It was the first bad shot I saw out of him (he still got up and down for bogey). That was when I finally felt "okay, these guys are human too" and calmed down a bit.

I played the final 11 holes of the round much more relaxed, and like I said, I carded a 44 on the back nine which is only about a stroke off of my target for each nine (I usually consider something around 42-43 per nine a pretty good side).

The bottom line is that the really good players did not seem to be affected by my game in any way. I kept up the pace, I only lost 1 ball (so we didn't spend an inordinate amount of time searching for my shots), and I didn't throw any clubs, say the "I've never played this bad before" or act like a jerk because I was having an off day. I also found out that of the group, only 4-5 of them were the near scratch or better guys, and a bunch of the other guys were in that 7 to 12 index range. Even though I'm a bit above that in my index, we all know, a 16 handicap (me) can play with a 10 handicap all day and not even look like he's that much worse. Sure, those guys can break 80 here and there and I've never done it, but on any given day I could put up an 85 and beat one of them straight up. Knowing that, I don't feel quite as much like a fish out of water as I did when I first started.

I am looking forward to learning a bit by observation and challenging myself with this group. I do want to put up a decent score the next time so that they understand shooting a 94, or a 50 for a side, is not something I do most of the time though.

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

Too me it is basically the margin of error. I am a 4.0 and I play with quite a few 15 hdcps and usually the big difference is they miss everything by quite a bit more than I do. I have played with some D1 players and quite a few +hdcps and I miss by a larger margin than they do. With them I mostly see the difference on or around the green. The best players I have played with make almost everything inside 8 feet and rarely miss 4 footers. They get closer on pitches and hit more greens. I shot my best round ever this spring and it was mostly due to getting up and down and making some putts, a lot within 5 feet. I got up and down 6 times, didn't have one 3 putt, and kept the ball in play. I hit 11/14 fairways, 11/18 greens, and 27 putts to post a 70. I missed 2 very makable putts that could have easily been 68. I only had one bogey when I didn't get up and down. Some days the game seems easy.

Find better golfers than you, play with them regularly, watch your game get better. Take it as a challenge. Just try to stay within reach of the better players and next thing you know, you have someone trying to keep up with you. A good buddy of mine and I continually surpass each other year after year, but the last few years he has been steadily 2 strokes better than me. This year I have it back to within 1, and by October I plan to be even with him.

TM M4 10.5 Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei White 70X
Callaway Rogue 4 wood Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
TM Stage 2 tour hybrid 22* Altus 85X
SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

I can understand where you are coming from OP. The trick is not to notice what the others are doing and play your game. I know that's a helluva lot easier said than done. I played in a tournament a couple of weeks ago where I had to play with some young guys that could bomb it and we all played the same set of tees. Yet, I did fine and scored as well as they did. I didn't worry about the distance they hit it. I played the course the way I know how to play it and stuck to that. Again, easier said than done but it can be done.

One of the first things to do is not worry about what iron someone hits from say 150. Say low handicap young guy can hit a PW that far. I may have to hit an 8 or even a 7. It's just a number though if you can hit your club well. So don't get all hung up about distance and play the course the way you need to play it and you will be fine.

[quote name='idriveahonda' timestamp='1405283299' post='9692641']
Played with vbb today, and we had a blast!

Can't wait to do it again.
[/quote]

Agreed man, It was a pleasure!

idriveahonda is one of those LEGIT 300yd drivers of the ball. I think I can say that he is the best golfer I've ever teed it up with. Totally laid back and down the earth as well, and made the fact that I was getting beat like a drum still fun. All of those people that said the intimidation factor would go down after that first time were right, plus I had a front row seat to some really good golf. idrive was 1' from carding a double eagle 2 on a par 5. I have never seen a tap in eagle before. Then backs it up with a birdie on the next hole. Solid man, solid!

Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
MP-T5 54* & 58*

I had a similar experience when I joined a sim golf league this winter. I had never played with lower singles and scratch players and it was a very humbling experience the first few rounds. Once I got comfortable playing with them it was great and a few of them turned out to be wrxers, I think I even may have convinced a few to join lol. I really enjoyed playing with them though because I was able to watch what they do up close which is something you don't always get to do on a course. I learned a lot from just watching them play :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='vbb' timestamp='1405291690' post='9693231']

[/quote]

Agreed man, It was a pleasure!

idriveahonda is one of those LEGIT 300yd drivers of the ball. I think I can say that he is the best golfer I've ever teed it up with. Totally laid back and down the earth as well, and made the fact that I was getting beat like a drum still fun. All of those people that said the intimidation factor would go down after that first time were right, plus I had a front row seat to some really good golf. idrive was 1' from carding a double eagle 2 on a par 5. I have never seen a tap in eagle before. Then backs it up with a birdie on the next hole. Solid man, solid!
[/quote]

If you guys are ever in the mood to play with a player much worse than both of you, send me a PM and let me know. I live in the area and am always looking for guys with whom I can play. I don't drive it 300 yards, I have never broken 90, but I play fast and enjoy the game.

I have yet to get paired up with anyone with anything near a single digit index. I wish I would cause I have always done better when playing with someone better than myself. I play in a weekly quota point league and generally have the higher points in my group. The best I think I have played with is my boss who is a bogey golfer at best.

I need to find a way to get out of my comfort zone and find some really good players to play with.

[center] Titleist 915D2 8.5* - Graphite Design Tour Ad-Di6s
Titleist 915F 15* - Graphite Design Tour Ad-Di7s[/center]
[center] Titleist 915H 21* - Aldila Rogue 85 S
Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW - KBS Tour S
Titleist Vokey SM5 50*F, 56*S, 60*K - KBS Hi-Rev S
Scotty Cameron Newport 2[/center]

[center][url="http://invite.golfmat.ch/m/I6G4g3MqEn"]Find me on GolfMatch App.[/url] - TJ O[/center]

All things equal I love playing with good players (low singles). It's simple: they play fast and they hit model shots to learn from.

I played with my club's assistant pro the other day and watched him shoot 2-3 under while I did great for me with an 82. It is much better for your game to watch good shots.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

If you want to play with good players, go ask your Head Pro who the players at the course are...they will tell you.

I even admitted after the end of the round (they heckled us for being behind), that the reason we were behind is that my group helped look for my tee shots on 10 and 14...it wasn't the higher handicap golfers playing slow.

What most golfers will get out of a round with very good golfers (your scratch and better) is course management / navigation. There were multiple holes I had a game-plan on, and I told VBB to make sure I stuck to it. The one hole I didn't...I had a lost ball.

Your low handicap golfers aren't typically going to be your boatload of birdie and boatload of bogey kind of person. They are going to go fairway to green, and then make a couple putts here and there. What they also will do, is make good chip shots and smart recovery shots to maximize the potential to make par.

Go play golf. Get better.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ w/ Hzardus Smoke
TM UDI 20* w/ RIP Tour 90
Callaway Apex Pro 19 4-PW
Mack Daddy 4 52/10 S Grind
Mack Daddy 58/10 PM Grind
Taylormade Spider X

[quote name='ecrugger' timestamp='1405457685' post='9707039']

If you guys are ever in the mood to play with a player much worse than both of you, send me a PM and let me know. I live in the area and am always looking for guys with whom I can play. I don't drive it 300 yards, I have never broken 90, but I play fast and enjoy the game.
[/quote]

Sure! We should set up a Southside HR WRX outing. I know there are a few of us in the area. I've played a couple of rounds with Duffner'sWaggle too, who is a good player with that former baseball player athletic move (lots of baseball players seem to be good at golf). I'll play with anyone as long as they are cool, don't throw temper tantrums and know when to pick up and move it along. My best friend just took up the game last year and he hasn't even broken 100 yet, but I play with him all the time. He moves quickly and maxes himself out at triple, and we have a good time even if I beat him by 20 strokes. So yeah, you're welcome to join.

[quote name='idriveahonda' timestamp='1405518154' post='9711707']
If you want to play with good players, go ask your Head Pro who the players at the course are...they will tell you.

I even admitted after the end of the round (they heckled us for being behind), that the reason we were behind is that my group helped look for my tee shots on 10 and 14...it wasn't the higher handicap golfers playing slow.

What most golfers will get out of a round with very good golfers (your scratch and better) is course management / navigation. There were multiple holes I had a game-plan on, and I told VBB to make sure I stuck to it. The one hole I didn't...I had a lost ball.

Your low handicap golfers aren't typically going to be your boatload of birdie and boatload of bogey kind of person. They are going to go fairway to green, and then make a couple putts here and there. What they also will do, is make good chip shots and smart recovery shots to maximize the potential to make par.

Go play golf. Get better.
[/quote]

I had forgotten that we were behind. I do remember thinking after #14 that the group was going to think that I was the one holding everyone up, haha! I'm glad you set the record straight, though I didn't even hear them hazing us about it. If it weren't for that hole, you would have easily been under par. In fact, if you had hit a provisional, you would have still been under par. I didn't think in a million years that ball would be lost. I knew it was left, but I thought we'd find it. I'll take the driver from your hands next time.

I've played a few rounds with people in the low-70s or better and it always seems kind of sneaky good. I played with an older gentleman a few weeks ago that shot a 74 and I was hitting 7 irons where he was hitting hybrids. I would be surprised if he hit any drives over about 220yds. I had a pretty decent round and shot 85, and had no idea that he was killing me by 9 strokes until we added it all up. He only made one birdie the entire round... but he also only made 3 bogeys. Just solid golf,GIRs, and he made every putt inside of 4ft that he looked at.

Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
MP-T5 54* & 58*

It bothered you more than it did them. Play your game, keep up the pace, be good company, and no one else, regardless of how good they are, will care what you shoot.

The best way for you to get better is to play with better players. The next time you feel that pressure, remind yourself that it is exactly what you are doing it for! Whenever I start to feel uncomfortable, I almost smile... because no matter what happens on the next shot...whether it is drilled down the middle, or sh@nked into oblivion... I'm right where I want to be... feeling the pressure/uncomfortable feeling that makes you a better player. If I fail at this test, oh well, it was part of the process of becoming a better player... I'll "win" the next test.

Great post. And good on you for getting out there with people who play better. You can work on your swing all day every day, but there is something to be said about watching how better players get around a golf course. Course management and mental stability is something you pick up on quickly when you play with good players.

Keep it up! My advice next time you're out there... Play your game, your way and find the places you need to improve. Take good notes every round.

I never play against family, friends, or people I join up with, no betting, no score sharing until the round is over.....I look at the game of golf as a personal challenge and no matter what my playing partners are doing my attitude is that it's just me against the course. The only exception I make is when we're just out messing around for practice or trying new equipment when all insults are dragged out and etiquette goes out the window!

I would much rather play with better players than I am. It motivates me and somtimes I learn fron them. For instance there is a hole that they hit 3 wood off the tee on that I always hit driver. Driver is good if it straight but trees on the right and trap on the left will catch errant shots. These guys hit 3 wood and lay back where the fairway is wider, makes sense typing it out here and I wonder why I used to always hit driver...:(

[/quote]LMAO, I saw the irons in your Sig and had to comment, lol

Had the same in chrome and they were the first irons that didn't have a running bird on em to hit my bag in 23 years when I bagged em in '09.

An amazing iron!!

And VB, an great thread!!

Thank you for sharing!

Continued success and improvement my Friend :)

My Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• 2 weeks later...

Now you're really hooked. :-)

The journey to scratch (and below) is one helluva ride....

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"