The Wager...

Pigems

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1423936810' post='10952545']
[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1423922515' post='10951431']
Best wishes to all for good spousal/family time this weekend. And some catchup rest, PD. Special thoughts are with you Pigs with the disquieting thwarted potential tragedy news this morning.

Last Valentine's Day we spent all afternoon and evening at emergency after I had some weird sudden flareup from an operation a month before. Ah, special memories.

I tried to duplicate it by slicing my right index finger yesterday morning carelessly washing a 9 inch chef's knife. Yes, it was Fri 13th yesterday, but I don't pay attention to that. Ended up at the same emerg ward yesterday afternoon when it opened up big time again with persitence. Lucky puppy, they were able to use a glue to secure the flap that and no stitches. ( I was told that Crazy Glue is [u]not[/u] a good idea, as I had heard about doing that.)

Keep a fresh bandage on it (they even supplied a few changes) and I'm told to be good to go normally as of today. Including golf with it bandaged. As, sorry guys, I am playing golf outside tomorrow and Tuesday in expected +12*C and sun. I was upfront at emerg...getting the check/fix and hopefully ok to not cancel the golf was job 1 going there. Yay! :golfer:

My wife is just getting over a really nasty cold- seems better today- but I will probably give her some quiet time today and make ribs tonight if she is up for it. May go to the Golf Show today, though I'm not planning on buying anything. Maybe I'd better not go...decisions, decisions.
[/quote]

I'm happy you didn't cut your finger off, would make it a tad more challenging to securely grip the club. Definitely a Michael Myers moment the day before Valentine's Day. Let's hope today is less eventful.
[/quote]
Thanks. Unfortunately just now taking the butterfly bandage off installed by the hospital the glued part on the cut opened up a bit. So I guess I was rushing things for golf anticipation. Have cancelled my game for tomorrow and my lesson for Monday. Will see how it goes by Tuesday. The good news is my wife is feeling better and is looking forward to ribs tonight. Shall take care with sharp implements though, 'cause apparently only my knife is sharp this weekend. :taunt:

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1423878022' post='10949341']
So I tried to play a tourny round tonight but the ****ing arseholes in the 2 bays next to me were hooting and hollering the entire time like the leafs just won the cup. I almost left after 5 holes because I couldn't even concentrate, they were being that loud during my swing, when putting, they just didn't care. I just ****ing gave up after 9 holes and stopped trying and just swung the club blindly to get it over with. It took everything in me not to turn around and tell them to shut the **** up and learn some golf etiquette. I ended up with a 95 on the same course I played Wednesday. What a ****ing waste of time and money. Sorry for ranting fellas.
[/quote]

Happy and peaceful day to all in this thread. Pige I would offer advice but it might turn out about as well as my feeble attempt to help PD with his shanks (boy I sure served up a swing and miss on that one! LOL).

I TOTALLY understand how you went there at least expecting to work on your game and test out your equipment. I have no words to offer help for you or justification for them. Sounds like you had to play shot after shot in what amounts to that par 3 in the Waste Management tourney played last week - LOL. Half of me would have wanted to laugh with them and half would have been inclined to ask them to pitch in and pay for my sim time since they were owning it more than you. Good news is - that one is over and done with - so good things are ahead for you soon.

PD - the next time I run through a shanks rant - feel free to remind me to keep my opines to myself - LOL. I know you will shake it off soon. Those things are a nasty little bug but you can count on the fact that they go just as mysteriously as they come. Good things are soon to come for both of you guys.

I battled through a second straight round of the full blown hosel rockets this morning.

Hit the ball reasonably well off the tee after I committed to playing a fade (an unusual ball flight for me, but that's what I brought to the 'course'), managed to hit a handful of really good pitch shots inside 70 yards, and got up and down 8 times. Posted an 82 (44/38) and then went 2 under over the next 8 holes before we were forced to 'pack it in'. I stopped attempting full iron shots after the 12 hole and worked a 3/9 swing for the remaining holes. Somehow managed to only lose a quarter on the day, which was odd given the fact that my playing partner shot an even par 72 and was +1 on the next 8 holes.

At times I had no idea where the ball was going, but I didn't have a mental breakdown so all is not lost.

I look forward to the next opportunity. I'll work this out.

No more talk of the ugly SKANKS from here on out.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

I was just reading the Cabin Fever thread. I find it interesting that I haven't experienced the phenomenon this winter. I think the Wager has something to do with it. I'm not waiting for shipments of clubs and shafts every week. Waiting to put all of my purchases into play last year nearly did me in. Now that the bag is essentially set I don't feel so trapped. I wasn't even that enthused to look at the pictures and read the articles in the Hot List (not that I could given the size of the thumbnails and text ; ).

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1423947811' post='10953501']
I was just reading the Cabin Fever thread. I find it interesting that I haven't experienced the phenomenon this winter. I think the Wager has something to do with it. I'm not waiting for shipments of clubs and shafts every week. Waiting to put all of my purchases into play last year nearly did me in. Now that the bag is essentially set I don't feel so trapped. I wasn't even that enthused to look at the pictures and read the articles in the Hot List (not that I could given the size of the thumbnails and text ; ).
[/quote]

Here, the winter has been disruptive enough that the additional waiting time for packages would probably only make the cabin fever worse, lol.

[quote name='LittlePoison1980' timestamp='1423970486' post='10955419']
[/quote]

Here, the winter has been disruptive enough that the additional waiting time for packages would probably only make the cabin fever worse, lol.
[/quote]

This whole thread and you guys (and also ho'ing in general) just crack me up. Are you convincing yourselves you are OK with not buying clubs, or are you just ignoring an "itch"? ( :diablo: ) Think about all those past times waiting in anticipation for that big Toblerone box to be at your doorstep when you get home, just waiting for you to carry it through the doorstep like your first home with the wife. At work you would check the UPS site. You would text your wife or kids if the box has arrived and to make sure they get it inside quickly. Once you knew it was there, the last hour of work would just drag. But finally you have that goody bar in your hands and you open that box and oooooooohhhhh it is like Christmas! The new smell, the unscratched surfaces, the fresh grips. Immediately you take it in your hands and set up with it. Just can't wait to get out there and GAME with it. And you do. Until the honeymoon is over. Until the first sky mark. Until you lose your swing. Then it starts again...

...don't you miss those days?

PD, Good for you realizing there is life after "'ho". It's like a break up. It gets easier with time. That said, I haven't bought a club in years and I AM STARTING TO ITCH!

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1423972005' post='10955549']
[/quote]

[/quote]

This whole thread and you guys (and also ho'ing in general) just crack me up. Are you convincing yourselves you are OK with not buying clubs, or are you just ignoring an "itch"? ( :diablo: ) Think about all those past times waiting in anticipation for that big Toblerone box to be at your doorstep when you get home, just waiting for you to carry it through the doorstep like your first home with the wife. At work you would check the UPS site. You would text your wife or kids if the box has arrived and to make sure they get it inside quickly. Once you knew it was there, the last hour of work would just drag. But finally you have that goody bar in your hands and you open that box and oooooooohhhhh it is like Christmas! The new smell, the unscratched surfaces, the fresh grips. Immediately you take it in your hands and set up with it. Just can't wait to get out there and GAME with it. And you do. Until the honeymoon is over. Until the first sky mark. Until you lose your swing. Then it starts again...

PD, Good for you realizing there is life after "'ho". It's like a break up. It gets easier with time. That said, I haven't bought a club in years and I AM STARTING TO ITCH!
[/quote]

You bring this crap up on Valentine's Day. Now I have to go to bed dreaming about my former life as a club ho and my recent struggles with the SKANKS.

Thanks a lot DeNinny.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1423972224' post='10955575']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You bring this crap up on Valentine's Day. Now I have to go to bed dreaming about my former life as a club ho and my recent struggles with the SKANKS.

Thanks a lot DeNinny.
[/quote]

Anytime PD. My father was all about tough love. Can you relate?

Remember I've been in Pigems camp and he is losing in a bad way, so I gotta stir it up in here.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

To be clear, I was never actually involved in the Wager. I just started following along and got roped into the Club Ho Soap Opera. :D I ordered some XTD forged heads from the Bay and just forced myself to be busy, LOL. Now one I start playing with set makeup in the longer clubs, then I'll be waiting for one big a** Toblerone... and probably changing flavors often. :D

Well its official, the tournament course is to hard/long for ole Pigems this month. I gave it everything I had and just couldn't make it to the greens, and when I did, I rolled the ball past the hole lol, the pins were almost all on the sides of hills so even 5 footers were hard as heck. Man this course is ****ing hard. I ended up with a +23 and a +26 tonight. On one par 5 I hit driver, 3 wood, 5 wood and still didn't make it to the green. I was even hitting the ball pretty well tonight. Oh well there's always next month :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

I invited Bick to come over here and ask you guys for
some club building advice.

Spring is coming! Cheers everyone!

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

Hey Pige, and or P Daddy,

I've been hitting Cleveland Launcher Ti 460's 10.5 forever, own two of em both with the stock Fugi stiff, so I've always got a back up. Good club easy to keep in the fairway. I bought a 9064ls 9.5 with a lot of miles on it off Ebay this fall that has a RIP Gamma in it. I hit the 9064 15 to 20 yards longer and much higher than the Launchers. Problem is I'm all over the place with it. when it's good it's great, when it's bad it's 2 fairways over.......Ya Think if I put one of my Launcher heads on that RIP shaft, I could get the best of both worlds?

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1424228557' post='10975689']
I would say it's at least worth a try, you can always switch them back if it doesn't pan out :)
[/quote]

Kinda what I was thinking. Figured you and P Daddy would list all sorts of technical data, as why it would or would not work.

Quite a thread you have here Pige, Thanks for the response.

Bick,

I agree with Pigs. I'd install the shaft in one of the two Launcher heads and compare the two clubs head to head. I suspect the shaft is not going to dramatically change the ball-flight given that the lofts of each head are the same, but you may like the 'feel' of one over the other. I wouldn't trust the stamped loft on any of the heads unless they've been verified.

Do you have the ability and proper tools to perform the shaft swap? If not, do you have access to a reliable builder?

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1424219897' post='10974553']
Well its official, the tournament course is to hard/long for ole Pigems this month. I gave it everything I had and just couldn't make it to the greens, and when I did, I rolled the ball past the hole lol, the pins were almost all on the sides of hills so even 5 footers were hard as heck. Man this course is ****ing hard. I ended up with a +23 and a +26 tonight. On one par 5 I hit driver, 3 wood, 5 wood and still didn't make it to the green. I was even hitting the ball pretty well tonight. Oh well there's always next month :)
[/quote]

I'm liking this Pigs because you had the ability to swing a set of golf clubs and I didn't. I always love a par 5 that forces me to hit driver, 3 wood, 3 wood to reach the green. Thankfully I'm a proponent of the 'tee it forward' movement and rarely face such situations.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1424229835' post='10975839']
[/quote]

I'm liking this Pigs because you had the ability to swing a set of golf clubs and I didn't. [b] I always love a par 5 that forces me to hit driver, 3 wood, 3 wood to reach the green.[/b] Thankfully I'm a proponent of the 'tee it forward' movement and rarely face such situations.
[/quote]

You sir, have unique tastes! ;)

Pigs,

Just to prove that a turnaround is possible. After two rounds filled with hosel rockets I posted a really good score (that featured only one SKANK) yesterday. The first 6 holes were a struggle, after a really poor warm-up, but I found my groove by the 7th hole. Stat line for the round: 9 FIR, 11 GIR, 26 putts. The real positive . . . I worked with an instructor two weeks ago to alter my driver swing (finishing with my hands higher, swinging 'out to right field') and the results were initially feast or famine. Hit the ball much more consistently during this round. Averaged 238 off the tee, with 4 drives over 250 yards and a long of 258. Those are all numbers I would be content with.

[attachment=2623593:Teeth of the Dog.png]

Thank you for the encouragement ladies and gents.

Going to be a shock to the system when I have to post scores in the real world and am forced to make all of my 9 foot gimmies ; ) Spring can't come soon enough.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='LittlePoison1980' timestamp='1424230002' post='10975847']
[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1424229835' post='10975839']
[/quote]

I'm liking this Pigs because you had the ability to swing a set of golf clubs and I didn't. [b] I always love a par 5 that forces me to hit driver, 3 wood, 3 wood to reach the green.[/b] Thankfully I'm a proponent of the 'tee it forward' movement and rarely face such situations.
[/quote]

You sir, have unique tastes! ;)
[/quote]

Freakin' sarcasm my friend. My three wood is only used off the tee. Feel much more confident advancing the ball on a long par 5 with a 4/5 wood and/or a hybrid. I attempt to play to my strengths (whatever they may be on the day ; )

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1424229716' post='10975829']
Bick,

I agree with Pigs. I'd install the shaft in one of the two Launcher heads and compare the two clubs head to head. I suspect the shaft is not going to dramatically change the ball-flight given that the lofts of each head are the same, but you may like the 'feel' of one over the other. I wouldn't trust the stamped loft on any of the heads unless they've been verified.

Do you have the ability and proper tools to perform the shaft swap? If not, do you have access to a reliable builder?
[/quote]

There's a good builder in my neighborhood, I'll let him handle it. My only attempt at epoxying, resulted in a 400 cc Nicklaus driver head launching further down the fairway than my ball. Had hit a ton of balls with it on the range, but it flew off on hole number 7, the first actual round I played with it.

Oh, thanks for replying P Daddy.

You would love this course then PD, par 5's were driver, 3/5 wood, hybrid/long iron. Par 4's were driver, Fairway, or long iron if it was a good drive. I think the boys said it plays 7600 or 7900 from the tips.

Put it this way, when I played it last Wednesday from the white tees I shot a 77(+5) and I hit the ball better today lol. I might try it one more time and play super safety golf, I'm only 1 stroke outside the top 16. So of in play safe for pars and bogeys I may be able to sneak in. :)

Good stuff PD, overcoming the shanks is tough. Nice round sir.

Bick, PD is the technical data guy when it comes to clubs. I just keep trying things until I find something I like, trial and error style :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='BicknellCC' timestamp='1424230975' post='10975935']
[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1424229716' post='10975829']
Bick,

[/quote]

There's a good builder in my neighborhood, I'll let him handle it. My only attempt at epoxying, resulted in a 400 cc Nicklaus driver head launching further down the fairway than my ball. Had hit a ton of balls with it on the range, but it flew off on hole number 7, the first actual round I played with it.

Oh, thanks for replying P Daddy.
[/quote]

I fortunately haven't had a club come apart, but I've seen a few heads fly off during a round.

I'm happy you have a quality builder whom you can hire to perform the work.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1424231053' post='10975945']
You would love this course then PD, par 5's were driver, 3/5 wood, hybrid/long iron. Par 4's were driver, Fairway, or long iron if it was a good drive. I think the boys said it plays 7600 or 7900 from the tips.

Put it this way, when I played it last Wednesday from the white tees I shot a 77(+5) and I hit the ball better today lol. I might try it one more time and play super safety golf, I'm only 1 stroke outside the top 16. So of in play safe for pars and bogeys I may be able to sneak in. :)

Good stuff PD, overcoming the shanks is tough. Nice round sir.

Bick, PD is the technical data guy when it comes to clubs. I just keep trying things until I find something I like, trial and error style :)
[/quote]

My preferred yardage seems to be between 6200 - 6500 yards (depending on the topography). Anything longer feels like a chore.

Move back to the whites and see what you post Pigs. I'm certain the extended length has something to do with the inflated number. Although, 280 yard bombs off the tee are nothing to sneeze at.

While I'm mentioning distance. Yesterday there was a man in the Sim next to me who was carrying the ball 305 yards + in the air. Ball speeds were in the high 170 range. When he hit driver the screen shoot on my side of the sim bay. When my ball hits the screen the screen barely billows.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*