I dont understand why tour pros use Vokey PW's, but wrxers don't

Hit em good

I agree that most sets come with a pitching wedge and cost ways doesn't make sense to add a club you already own, but the ebay set I just purchased is 3-9 iron so a 48 degree SM5. The difference though is playing S400 in my 54 and 61 degree wedges and playing the iron set shaft (Nippon Prototype 2T15) in the PW. I'm hoping to maintain yardage gaps.

Titleist 915 D4 Aldila Rogue 125 70TX
3 wood PXG 341 True Temper HZRDUS 75X
2 iron 716 TMB TTDG AMT X100
4-9 Epon AF-302 TTDG AMT ti X100
Vokey 46F, 50F, 54S, 60L TTDG ti S400
SC Circle T 009 Brushed Black Pearl 350g

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess I'm the opposite. I want all my wedges to "match" so I've played a non-set PW since probably 2003. I've only played 2 iron sets over that timeframe and both were ordered without the set PW so it really wasn't a cost issue. Just a personal preference.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

Modern lofts means most guys would need a set pw and a specialty wedge around the 48 mark. I have always had a strong gw (usually 48 or 50) to cover the gap of the jacked up set pw lofts. I agree with other posters that a big reason pros go for Vokeys is the versatility on less than full swings and chipping around the greens, especially pros who don't play blades. Titleist staff who use AP2s would need more precision in their pw, the AP2 is way too chunky for finesse shots close to the green.

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1432386267' post='11612998']
For me, I've never played a club based off of anything beyond how it performed for me on the practice tee and course-

I've only played three brands of wedges in 47 years-

1967-1998, Wilson Staff(Staff Irons from '67-86, Mizzy 1986-Present)
1998-2012, Mizzy
2012-present, SCOR

Though my closest Buds play Vokeys, as do 5/6 Pros who play in the swats(they're all Staffers), I've never really even hit/played them seriously.

I mean, they're another nice wedge.

Yea, 39%(38.8%) of the Tour bois play em, but 61%+ don't-

There are a lot of really nice wedges out there, both cast & forged.

Have a great Holiday weekend My Friends :)

Golfingly Yours,
Richard
[/quote]Like you I played the same brand of wedges for years mostly Hogan, Macgregor and A Wilson R-90. Then it was Cleveland and then I jumped on the Vokey bandwagon for a few years with the 200 series. I ended up going back to the old Cleveland 588s that I hit for years. Made me wonder instantly why the hell I jumped on the Vokey bandwagon to begin with. To each his own I guess. I could give two hoots less what the guys on tour are playing or anyone else for that matter I play what I like

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Because my set comes with a PW that matches my other irons in loft, shape and how it plays. Also, a Vokey wedge in style is pretty much a blade, where many don't play blade irons. For me, my gap wedge matches my set, and my sand wedge is a Cleveland RTX CB for a bit added forgiveness since I use it primarily for full shots and rarely for chips and sand.

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1432419995' post='11615244']
[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1432386267' post='11612998']
For me, I've never played a club based off of anything beyond how it performed for me on the practice tee and course-

I've only played three brands of wedges in 47 years-

1967-1998, Wilson Staff(Staff Irons from '67-86, Mizzy 1986-Present)
1998-2012, Mizzy
2012-present, SCOR

Though my closest Buds play Vokeys, as do 5/6 Pros who play in the swats(they're all Staffers), I've never really even hit/played them seriously.

I mean, they're another nice wedge.

Yea, 39%(38.8%) of the Tour bois play em, but 61%+ don't-

There are a lot of really nice wedges out there, both cast & forged.

Have a great Holiday weekend My Friends :)

Golfingly Yours,
Richard
[/quote]Like you I played the same brand of wedges for years mostly Hogan, Macgregor and A Wilson R-90. Then it was Cleveland and then I jumped on the Vokey bandwagon for a few years with the 200 series. I ended up going back to the old Cleveland 588s that I hit for years. Made me wonder instantly why the hell I jumped on the Vokey bandwagon to begin with. To each his own I guess. I could give two hoots less what the guys on tour are playing or anyone else for that matter I play what I like
[/quote]The 588's are a great wedge!!

My Bro plays those and I've hit em and I'd have no problem playin em. Sweet wedges!

I played the R-90 forever-

I hope You, the Mrs. and Maddy have a great Holiday weekend :)

My Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

The modern set PW is simply too low lofted, long and hot to be the precision club I want inside 115-120 yards. The AW in my set is 49* and flies further but spins less than my ex-PW, MP-52. So I dropped my XR gap wedge and put in a 48* SM5. Now I get the correct gap below my XR PW but a lot more spin and shot options.

Ping K15 9.5
Ping G15 4w
Ping G20 3h
Callaway XR 5-PW
Vokey SM5 48, 54, 60
Odyssey Prototype Tour Series 3

Personally, I use my PW (46 in one set and 47 in the other) as an attack club at 130 yards. I don't use it around the green at all. I have a gap wedge at 50 degrees and a sand wedge at 56 for that work. That said, I prefer to keep the feel, the bounce progression, and the swing weight consistent through the "attack only" clubs. My gap wedge has a different shaft, swing weight, and feels a bit different, but I use it probably 85% around the green (pitching/chipping) and 15% for attacking the pin from 115 yards. When I went looking for a gap wedge I found something that felt closest to what I wanted and hit the numbers I wanted to reach for distance and spin. I also hit some partial shots to see how the ball reacted and felt. Felt good.

Long story short: Why would I take a club out of the set and replace it with something with a different feel, bounce progression, etc. instead of keeping things consistent? If you love your irons and everything works great, why rock the boat and remove a wedge and add a new variable? I see no reason for it.

I am using Ping S58 5,6,7,8,9 irons
And Forged Callaway wedges, high bounce, 50/11 54/11 58/11

Tried the Vokey 48, not enough bounce for me.
I have slowly arrived at this combo since Xmas.

Works for me, and Thats what matters !

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Um...I do. Figured I was too awesome for the regular set matching wedge.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='Cwebb' timestamp='1432428783' post='11615828']
Some of the guys on tour do this, because they only carry 3 wedges. Such as 48, 54, 60. The traditional wedge PW with a 'decent' loft gives them a versatile club that is like their PW and GW combined in one club
[/quote]That is what I do exactly except my middle wedge is a 56* and my 56 an 60 have different bounces. I tried the 4 wedge thing for a while when playing modern lofted clubs and it can confuse things for me on decisions. As some other members have mentioned CB wedges I can't get any feel with them. A lot of players like RP and myself learned to play the game when you only had a few wedge options and carried only 2 wedges. We learned how to utitilize our wedges more because that is all we had to work with. Courses have also changed over the years since folks like us started playing with both grasses and design. The wedge game can be so specialized now. It is whatever works in one's overall game plan as to how you get it done

I don't understand why people continue to care what someone with a different set if circumstances, from swing, to preference, to livelihood decisions, plays because just because they do this for a living.

How come no one looks at tour bags and and says "look at every single golf club that is used in all tournaments, by all players.....look at all those different clubs, different wedge and wood combinations, look at all the staffers through the years who have changed brand contracts etc. and they are all being used by pros who can likely be on tour regardless of what brand or pw they play, so if anything what we should learn from tour bags is that basically all clubs and all wood and wedge combinations are good enough to be used professionally".

I don't think I have read that once here.....

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1432467522' post='11617506']
I don't understand why people continue to care what someone with a different set if circumstances, from swing, to preference, to livelihood decisions, plays because just because they do this for a living.

How come no one looks at tour bags and and says "look at every single golf club that is used in all tournaments, by all players.....look at all those different clubs, different wedge and wood combinations, look at all the staffers through the years who have changed brand contracts etc. and they are all being used by pros who can likely be on tour regardless of what brand or pw they play, so if anything what we should learn from tour bags is that basically all clubs and all wood and wedge combinations are good enough to be used professionally".

[/quote]

And that, my friends, sums up my feelings exactly.

I tried a 46* Vokey Pw for awhile, and discovered that I couldn't hit it as far or as consistently as my AP2 PW. I need the AP2 PW distance to bridge between my 9-iron and 54* SW, so it went back in the bag.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

[quote name='JustTheTips' timestamp='1432432073' post='11616158']
Isn't the bigger question how can all these WRXers uses cast heads in their wedges but if you give them a cast 7 iron, they start blathering about how they need that forged feel:)
[/quote]

not to feed that tangent but a cast wedge is usually 8620 carbon....not god knows what mystery metal .... soft is soft..cast or forged... soft is what everyone wants to feel not forged...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='JustTheTips' timestamp='1432432073' post='11616158']
Isn't the bigger question how can all these WRXers uses cast heads in their wedges but if you give them a cast 7 iron, they start blathering about how they need that forged feel:)
[/quote]

I keep it real with only forged wedges :)

Regarding the PW thing, for YEARS I never carried a PW, I had a 50, 56 and 60. I am way cool 3/4ing a 9 in the 130s and the only real grey area was high 120s where I had to slam my 50 or really really lay off a 9. When I started playing again I started using the set pws and a 52/56. Like everything else, it is pretty irrelevant either way, whatever floats your boat is fine. Today I am playing for first time with a set pw, 50/55/59 getup. I am thinking that this sounds good in theory but who knows...

I use mine for full shots and don't see the need to replace it. I totally agree with the poster above me, I consider it a 10 iron.

I am considering getting the 850 forged irons all the way to gap wedge. As I use it for full shots a decent amount of the time.

As far as forged in wedges, don't matter to me.

Ping G25 10.5* Stock Stiff
Ping G25 4 Wood Stock Stiff
Ping G25 20* Hybrid Stock Stiff
Mizuno MP-52 4-6, MP-62 7-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM5 50/12/F, 54/14/F, 58/7/S
Ping Greyhawk TR

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1432467522' post='11617506']

[/quote]If you really want to see some what is termed "strange " by WRX standards look in some of the bags of the lesser known pros on the Champion's Tour

My PW is 43 degrees so I currently have a gap and a 48 or 47 would be perfect since right now my first real wedge is a 52. With iron sets getting stronger lofts I do believe we will see more 48 degree wedges in most players bags in the near future.

Mizuno STZ 9.5 Motore X F1s 44.5"
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° Project X pxv 6.0

Mizuno CLK 3 Hybrid Tensei Blue S
Srixon ZX7 4-AW Nippon Modus3 Tour 120s 
Taylormade Hi-Toe Raw 56*-62* 
Wilson Staff 8802 Milled 32.5"
Titleist Tour Speed/ ProvV1 21

pros get all kinds of custom wedge work done that isn't available by retail methods. but yes, vokey wedges are great. callaway also makes great wedges.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

[quote name='PDoN' timestamp='1432478048' post='11618000']
My pw is not a wedge, it's a 10 iron. I never use it as a wedge,only as a distance filler.
[/quote]

I never thought of it like that, but yes, totally, I never ever use a pw for anything other than the same kinds of swings I would use my 9 or 8 iron with, it is indeed a 10 iron and has nothing in common with how I use my gap and sand wedges.....so honma has been right all along!

OK, I have to question the basic premise of the thread. Which pro's play a 46 or 48 Vokey? I played one for years before finally replacing it with my set's PW. However, I don't recall ever seeing a touring pro with a Vokey PW.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Tons of them do. Jordan Spieth. Sneedeker, Adam Scott , Rory, fowler , just off the to of me head. ( not all vokey , but their respective brands )

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock