2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Fox Broadcast - US Open

TKD24

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the story with Reed on 7 when he putts out and fiddles with the cup after.

Paraphrasing, Fay says it's a penalty but he's in the last group and there's nobody behind him & then they drop it.

He wasn't attempting to fix the cup, which would be the penalty, right? But you also don't get to waive a penalty because you're the last group.

I assume this was another Fox oopsy moment or the USGA would have gotten 8,000,000 calls about it

[quote name='Rory Mcilwoods' timestamp='1434871894' post='11798582']
Norman's been good and, really, he's carrying the whole telecast.
[/quote]

I agree. The Shark has been a credit to broadcast team. The others, not so much.

Driver #1: TM Aeroburner TP 10.5 °
Driver #2 TM Aeroburner TP Mini 14°
5W: TM Aeroburner TP 18°
Hybrid: TM Aeroburner TP 19°
Irons: TM Tour Preferred CB 4 - AW
Wedge: TM Tour Preferred 56° ATV
Putter#1: Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport Two
Putter#2: Scotty Cameron California Sea Mist Fastback 1/500
Putter#3: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood
Sun Mountain C-130 Red, White & Blue
Handicap 27.1

[quote name='16kid' timestamp='1434859840' post='11797972']
This coverage makes a guy wanting to go back to hearing Chris Berman's us open coverage . Back back back back
[/quote]

no and never...sorry but I'll take this crap over his pile of manure.

The good...plenty of golf between commercials. I like the technology, except the cup mic.

Bad...Buck doesn't know golf. Sonders interviews are a joke...especially the Kisner one: "hey Kev, c'mon in so we can ask you 'bout Jason."

is it unwatchable? Nah, it's their first shot at it...I suspect they'll get better.

All Ping...tastefully done!
Ping G430 Max

Ping G430 Max 3w

Ping G425 3 Hybrid

Ping icrossover 3i
Ping G425 5-SW
Ping Glide 4.0 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne H
Ping Hoofer Tour or Craz-e-Lite Stand Bag
Chrome Soft Truvis Stars & Stripes

I like the shot tracer, but way too little golf being shown.

PING G410 LST 9° Ping Tour 65 S

PING Tisi Tec 14° Fairway Aldila 350 S

Cobra Aerojet Hybrid 19° KBS PGI S

PING iCrossover 22° Ping Tour 85 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Pro 5-G DG 105 S

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52° DG Spinner 115

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 58° DG Spinner 115

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5

Been watching yesterdays recording of the Open.

Greg Norman is doing a decent job.

Corey is doing ok.

Joe Buck............hmmmmmpf

Holley Sonders...... probably a nice lady, but I keep expecting her to break out the pop pom's with that outfit.

FOX doing better than I had[b] initially[/b] commented on.

[b]Love the course[/b].....hate the condition of the greens.

Things I hate:
Their camera men can't track the ball. Can't tell if it's because of the course being brown or they aren't used to it. Time to steal some from GC.
They get hooked to the same 5 guys and show nothing else. Too much of the guys walking around. Say what you will about CBS, but their broadcast is just shot after shot after shot.
Too many people on TV on fox's side. Get rid of the NFL style "we're everywhere" and focus on the course.

Things I like:
Greg Norman. He's may favorite player and where I got my name, so I'm not biased
Brad Faxson. He's been REALLY good IMO. Put Pavin in a tower and Faxson in the lead group on course.
Tracer/Yardages/elevations. Their graphics are "overboard" but I like seeing all that. Green shading is cool, but put something in there to show slope direction

Things I love/hate:
Joe Buck. He's been decent, but he needs to develop a "golf tone". Plus he's an avid golfer and a 5 handicap, so it's not like he's clueless
Gil Hanse. I think they are misusing him. He should have done more prefilmed things on the design, and live comments on tee/pin placement. Don't ask him to be in players heads
The British guy in early hour coverage. He's GREAT! Perfect in tossing it to guys who know more, doesn't try to "be more". But Fox doesn't use him enough.

The British guy and the Shark as lead commentator and analyst would be perfect.

WITB 2015:
Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha, -1 D setting, Speeder 565 S
3WD: Cobra Biocell+ 12.5 degrees, Matrix Black tie
2HY: Cobra Biocell, 16.5D setting, Stock shaft
4/5i: Cobra Biocell, True Temper s+ shaft
6-PW: Biocell+, Dynamic Gold S200
50 Vokey
56 Vokey
Odessey MetalX Milled #2

[quote name='mrt99' timestamp='1434898334' post='11799896']
[quote name='mx-20' timestamp='1434896647' post='11799728']
[/quote]

As I said before, when I read comments like this I wonder if the poster actually watched the broadcast.
[/quote]

The primetime coverage showed a decent amount of golf, but the early coverage was terrible in terms of the golf to talking heads ratio.

PING G30 Driver/3w/2h
PING i20 4-U
PING Tour W 56/60
Cameron Select 2.5
PING Hoofer

[/quote]

As I said before, when I read comments like this I wonder if the poster actually watched the broadcast.
[/quote]

id have to guess they did if they are posting in the first place? perhaps you werent paying that close attention then?

[quote name='Harry Longshanks' timestamp='1434898869' post='11799952']
[/quote]

[/quote]

The primetime coverage showed a decent amount of golf, but the early coverage was terrible in terms of the golf to talking heads ratio.
[/quote]

Eh, I watched from about 5pm ET to the bitter end and frankly had never seen such a low commercial to golf ratio outside of a Masters telecast (and it's worth pointing out we're not getting 8+ hours of coverage from Augusta). Again, there are plenty of legitimate criticisms of the Fox broadcast, but showing too little golf is not one of them...

[quote name='Harry Longshanks' timestamp='1434898869' post='11799952']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Louis was having a round of his life and all we saw was a putt here or there.

WITB 2015:
50 Vokey
56 Vokey
Odessey MetalX Milled #2

[quote name='warfelg21' timestamp='1434899106' post='11799974']

[/quote]

Nobody has played as well over the last two rounds, and yesterday's round could have been much lower. Yet no commentary at all. Incredible comeback after the distraction of the first round thrash-a-thon by Tiger & Rickie.

[quote name='warfelg21' timestamp='1434899106' post='11799974'][quote name='Harry Longshanks' timestamp='1434898869' post='11799952']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Louis was having a round of his life and all we saw was a putt here or there.[/quote]

They could've at least got the ground rover cam to follow him.

[quote name='Marand' timestamp='1434899527' post='11800006']
[/quote]

Nobody has played as well over the last two rounds, and yesterday's round could have been much lower. Yet no commentary at all
[/quote]

None at all? Really? I distinctly remember seeing multiple shots from him and hearing the commentators noting on a couple of occasions how he played the first 20 holes 9 over par and that since then he'd played the next X holes at Y under par. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant...

[/quote]

Nobody has played as well over the last two rounds, and yesterday's round could have been much lower. Yet no commentary at all. Incredible comeback after the distraction of the first round thrash-a-thon by Tiger & Rickie.
[/quote]

I know Rickie didn't do great but Thursday and Friday were painful. It was the Tiger/Rory/Phil show even through all three were playing with well like guys that people like watching.

Heck not even Speith, JD, DJ, the Duff got as much screen time as those three and two of them were fumbling around the course.

Ugh. I know it's year 1 of a 10 year contract, but Fox better get it together fast that on Thursday and Friday you leave featured groups to online coverage, and on broadcast coverage you bounce from action to action. Saturday and Sunday you cover leaders and guys with great rounds.

Hopefully they learn fast to do that.

WITB 2015:
50 Vokey
56 Vokey
Odessey MetalX Milled #2

[quote name='mrt99' timestamp='1434899822' post='11800036']
[/quote]

Nobody has played as well over the last two rounds, and yesterday's round could have been much lower. Yet no commentary at all
[/quote]

None at all? Really? I distinctly remember seeing multiple shots from him and hearing the commentators noting on a couple of occasions how he played the first 20 holes 9 over par and that since then he'd played the next X holes at Y under par. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant...
[/quote]

Minimal visual coverage, and terse commentary. His last two rounds are [b][i]five[/i][/b] shots better than the any of the leaders. Worthy of mention?

[quote name='Marand' timestamp='1434900378' post='11800090']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Minimal visual coverage, and terse commentary. His last two rounds are [b][i]five[/i][/b] shots better than the any of the leaders. Worthy of mention?
[/quote]

Yup when Louis was playing they were too busy asking Gil Hanse about the setups of 1, 18, 9, 17, 15. I've been very interested in Hanse's view of the setup, but don't take away from what's happening on the course to talk about it. If you want to do that, have a real "studio pre-coverage" show with live cutins.

WITB 2015:
50 Vokey
56 Vokey
Odessey MetalX Milled #2

[quote name='Marand' timestamp='1434900378' post='11800090']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, worthy of mention. Which is why the Fox crew did mention it. On multiple occasions.

Of course he shot 77 on day one and is still 3 shots out of a four way tie for the lead (a group that includes the next big superstar in golf and two of the best players to have never won a major, one who is the longest hitter on tour and the other who was playing with freaking vertigo). So no, considering these story lines I wouldn't expect Louis to be the focus of Fox's coverage.

To me the overall quality of the broadcast is not too bad for a network new to the golf show. The shot tracers are pretty neat. The views of the surrounding area are well presented. Low numbers of commercials is a big plus.

Some of the camerawork has been a little sloppy, perhaps due to the topography of the quirky course; it has to be hard to move around with equipment with all the slopes. Some of the hosts are good, some not so good, but none really stands out to me. The length of the broadcast does seem to wear on the announcers a bit.

I am shocked beyond belief that the USGA would approve such unqualified TV personalities in Fox TV. Yes- many of these personalities are/were good, classy and talented golfers (Inkster, Pavin) but just because you're a wonderful golfer and a standup person, does not mean that you have the skillset to voice your thoughts on this LEVEL of STAGE- worldwide, to millions and millions of people around the globe.

The broadcasters are only good at stating the obvious and with the exception of Joe Buck they don’t have attractive voices and they’re not particularly articulate. Again some talented former golfers are in the booth and on the course, but they are not talented / gifted at commentating. Hearing Greg Norman stumble through medical explanation of J Days vertigo issues is laughable. And he did it over and over...arghhh.

I like Joe Buck, but he is not a good fit for the game.

The broadcast lacks the class needed for this historic event.

Big disappointment for a guy who has watched ALL the majors for 20+ years.

Ping G430 Max / G400 Max Drivers

Hybrids:  19* and 22* Ping G425

Irons:  Callaway Steelhead XR

Wedges: Vokey SM9s

Putter:  Odyssey Black Series Tour Designs #8

C-130 Cart Bag

Ecco golf shoes

To all the people saying:
"How can the USGA let this happen"

1) Fox offered the most money and the best platforms (aka digital, hours, expanse) that was offered to the USGA. It was something like $1million per year more than NBC, which the USGA has put towards growing the game too.

2) USGA has little say in how it's covered. Like who's on TV, what they show, and the features.

3) this is Fox's first year of golf coverage. Remember GC's first tournaments and announcing teams? They were awful. Look back at early masters coverage on CBS. Not great.

So yea, USGA can make suggestions for next year, fox can tweak coverage, some guys can learn to work together better. But in the end it's 9 more years of Fox coverage of golf, and I only expect it to expand to more tournaments as time goes on.

WITB 2015:
50 Vokey
56 Vokey
Odessey MetalX Milled #2

I think, all in all, it's been a pretty solid first outing for Fox. Even Joe Buck has been OK. Norman's been generally good.

Corey Pavin has been fine. Faxon and Weiskopf are a bit redundant and they'll probably pare down the talent lineup in the future.

You will never hear me complain about not showing Louis Oosthuizen enough. :)

[quote name='shoeman' timestamp='1434849718' post='11796722']

The golf coverage is awful. The back ground noise is annoying, along with with Holly Sounders interviews! The back ground music when breaking for a commercials leaves a lot to be desired! I hope the coverage will improve.[/quote]

No way! They've been playing some Seattle grunge music that was my favorite part of yesterday.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

I guess Fox could shoot from behind the player as he hits then quickly get a tight shot of the ball in the air and hold it as it hits the green and keep the shot tight. Then they can have cameraman who shot from behind the player get along side him and the director can cut to the player as he walks after his shot. That's what we normally see in a broadcast 98% of the time.

I like the way Fox is doing it. More wide angles with a little more feel of being at the course. If the ball gets lost now and then so be it. For me tight shots of the ball landing get old fast. They're utilizing HD and they're only going to get better at. The color of the course doesn't help with losing the ball and sometimes the balls is in the shot but we can't see it because the fairways and greens aren't a deep rich color.

[quote name='bravedave' timestamp='1434904197' post='11800462']
I guess Fox could shoot from behind the player as he hits then quickly get a tight shot of the ball in the air and hold it as it hits the green and keep the shot tight. Then they can have cameraman who shot from behind the player get along side him and the director can cut to the player as he walks after his shot. That's what we normally see in a broadcast 98% of the time.

I like the way Fox is doing it. More wide angles with a little more feel of being at the course. If the ball gets lost now and then so be it. For me tight shots of the ball landing get old fast. They're utilizing HD and they're only going to get better at. The color of the course doesn't help with losing the ball and sometimes the balls is in the shot but we can't see it because the fairways and greens aren't a deep rich color.
[/quote]

I agree with the cool idea of wide angle cameras on the greens. If it were a robust green color the ball would show up better and the idea would be more liked.

But they need their shot tracker to improve. It's not dark enough on screen and it's cutting out at the peak often.

WITB 2015:
50 Vokey
56 Vokey
Odessey MetalX Milled #2

Thursday`s coverage by Fox was a bit of a disaster, but I have to give them a lot of credit for stepping things up each day since. They still have issues with their cameras tracking the ball and finding where it lands, and their on-screen player/shot/scoring/leaderboard graphics still need improvement. Their director/switcher team are still having issues getting the right shot on-screen at the right time.

All that said, though, the broadcast looks great visually. The sound they are picking up is the best I have heard on a golf telecast, even if at times it means we are hearing things we would rather not hear. But I have heard more on-course player and player/caddy commentary the last 3 days than I have ever heard before. Their use of technical graphics for green slopes, elevation changes, target/yardage, and shot tracker has been well done.

The annouce team is actually better than I thought. Buck is OK as anchor. Flesch is much better than I remember (I am also struck by how he sounds like Mark Rolfing) and Faxon is quite good. I didn't like Norman day one, but he is growing on me. Shane O'Donoghue in the early coverage is excellent and they need to find a way to use him more. Weiskopf is Weiskopf, just older and crankier, and probably won't be with them long. Same probably with Hanse, who has better things to do than sit there not being used (unless they are paying a ridiculous amount of money). Pavin needs to work on his delivery. The other on-course people like Delsing, Inkster and McCarron barely seem used. They need to work on that. Menefee as "host" seems useless but he is playing the role that Bob Costas did on NBC. You shouldn't see him too much, and we are seeing too much of him so far. Holly isn't one of my favorites and has lived up to my low expectations. They obviously didn't hire her for her interviewing skills.

I am pleasantly surprised so far, and I am not usually a fan on Fox. They will only get better.

I'm all for positive thinking and conveying a favorable attitude but, Fox has done a pathetic job all-in-all.

Fox had a long time to figure out what the other networks did to successfully cover golf tournaments. Simply put - Fox blew it big-time...

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]