2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

One example of arms not being completely passive.

Here is a guy who came to me for the first time this week. He shoots mid 80s, hits lots of blocks and hooks, but rarely has a "compressed draw," in his words.

He has been doing fire the lower body as hard as he can and letting arms and hands be passive and drop.

All I did was tell him to start the arms a little sooner and have them work diagonally forward. Look how much less face roll after impact. In other words, sometimes more (correct) arm action creates a better pivot and more stable release.

Mahan and Johnson talk about starting the arms first. Andy and Mike talk about zero tension is as bad as too much tension.

It's about avoiding all extremes.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting to see how much more upright he gets in the swing on the right!

Too much hip action, creates too much right tilt.

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Here is a guy who came to me for the first time this week. He shoots mid 80s, hits lots of blocks and hooks, but rarely has a "compressed draw," in his words.

He has been doing fire the lower body as hard as he can and letting arms and hands be passive and drop.

All I did was tell him to start the arms a little sooner and have them work diagonally forward. Look how much less face roll after impact. In other words, sometimes more (correct) arm action creates a better pivot and more stable release.

Mahan and Johnson talk about starting the arms first. Andy and Mike talk about zero tension is as bad as too much tension.

For clarification, arms moving "diagonally" refers to diagonally to the target line, correct?

For clarification, arms moving "diagonally" refers to diagonally to the target line, correct?

Both angles. What you said and diagonally face on, as well.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Wow!...If this is an improvement he still has a ways to go. I can't imagine what he looked like earlier.

The before and after is posted showing first swing and changes

I'm seeing three photos on my computer; P6, P7 and P9. Am I missing something?

Click on each image and they should open up with a full side-by-side comparison.

Wow!...If this is an improvement he still has a ways to go. I can't imagine what he looked like earlier.

yep, there are 6 photos up. 3 before 3 after . side by side. And the improvement is noticeable.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

This is SO confusing. Is the swing pivot driven, i.e., lower body with the arms, hands, club along for the ride, or is it upper body driven? :-)

I know with the smiley face that you're being coy, but the point is you don't want too much of anything and have a proper balance.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Click on each image and they should open up with a full side-by-side comparison.

Thanks!...That is a big difference! Thumbs up Monte!

This is SO confusing. Is the swing pivot driven, i.e., lower body with the arms, hands, club along for the ride, or is it upper body driven? :-)

I know with the smiley face that you're being coy, but the point is you don't want too much of anything and have a proper balance.

In part I was, however I know if one pivots too quickly the arms/hands/club can get "left behind", at the same time, if too much upper body the hips don't get a chance to clear and/or one can come over the top.

Perhaps I am overthinking it.

In part I was, however I know if one pivots too quickly the arms/hands/club can get "left behind", at the same time, if too much upper body the hips don't get a chance to clear and/or one can come over the top.

Nope, pretty much covers it.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

What are the misses/signs that would indicate that if it was a problem with the upper body being left behind or the hips not having enough time to clear?

What are the misses/signs that would indicate that if it was a problem with the upper body being left behind or the hips not having enough time to clear?

Make a list of all bad shots you can think of and they're on both lists.

Takes one swing to see what the actual issue is.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Sorry I'm dense but can someone help me understand diagonally? I'm assuming from dtl, it'd be hands out to ball? And fo?

Sorry I'm dense but can someone help me understand diagonally? I'm assuming from dtl, it'd be hands out to ball? And fo?

If I remember correctly then it is diagonally from face on, so you hands don't drop straight down, ring the bell, or drag straight across. Think he discusses it in a video with Brandon

If I remember correctly then it is diagonally from face on, so you hands don't drop straight down, ring the bell, or drag straight across. Think he discusses it in a video with Brandon

It's both

BERTRAND RUSSELL

So what are going to work on next with this student?

Probably his left arm rotation. It rotates vey late or not at all. Has him coming in too shallow and a high ROC.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

That is a huge change in lower body action , is this purely the result of the diagonally forward arm movement or was there also another intent to slow the lower body dance moves?

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

That is a huge change in lower body action , is this purely the result of the diagonally forward arm movement or was there also another intent to slow the lower body dance moves?

Just earlier arm action.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Just earlier arm action.

Great stuff

Food for thought

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

Aren't his hips a bit too flat in all three new pictures? What set o issues would that lead to? Jump stall?

No, they look flatter because he doesn't have so much right tilt that used to be necessary for him to get to the ball. If I had 3D it would likely show his hips were flatter in relation to his shoulders and upper spine on the left.

BERTRAND RUSSELL