Private Club near Alpharetta, GA

PolishThunder

Hi,

will soon relocate from NJ to GA in the proximity of Aplharetta, GA. We've been members at a low-end country club in northern NJ for 10+ years, so I'm sure we won't get around w/o joining somewhere...

I've seen extensive discussions here about courses / memberships in the area, but nothing past 2011, so wonder if anybody can help narrowing the list of clubs to look at.

Just based on internet research / location of the new office I've this list of "candidates" :

- Golf Club Of Georgia

- Alpharetta Athletic Club

- The Standard Club

- St. Ives

Here are "my" criteria:

1. no B.S. woman-related rules; my wife is a decent golfer and we like to play (golf) together on the weekends. A lot of courses have restrictions...

2. Top of the line greens conditions; nice layout.. the "country club" vibe is somehow secondary

3. Auxiliary amenities (pool, tennis) would be nice, but not deal breaker

4. Lowest possible initiation fee - I anticipate another relocation within 3-4 years

5. Solid choice of good/serious golfers - maintaining +/- 2 hcp and while age starts kicking in and game gets shorter every year - it's nice to be able to match skill sets in the group now and then...

Appreciate any advice you can give me !

Regards,

rafael

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One answer for you based on your criteria...Rivermont G&CC!!! Call Chris Cupit and set up a visit for you and the wife. You will LOVE the golf, the golfers that play there, and the golf!!! Did I mention you'll love the golf!!! I was a member for a few years and had to drop my membership due to no time to play (went down to about 10 rounds in 2014 from 70 rounds in 2013), but when I'm ready to join another club again, Rivermont will be first on my list based on the pure golf experience.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

Berkeley Hills is the course I would join if I were in the market. .seems like a great club, it is a great course, has a handful of PGA and LPGA players that play there and the atmosphere always feels great to me. Price is right too.

Not really convenient to Alpharetta though. I wouldn't recommend it just because of the distance when you have clubs like Rivermont, Country Club of Roswell, and Country Club of the South so close to where he will be.

OP, BH is a good suggestion if you were to live closer to the Fulton/Gwinnett County line.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

Commute is what you need for work/golf/life in the suburbs here in Atlanta. You are in a good spot for some golf courses. Standard Club and St. Ives are two of the choices that might fit most of your qualifications. New ownership at Golf Club of Georgia might cross off a couple of things off your list. Rivermont is a great option. New bermuda greens are going to make the course much better to play in the summer. The bent greens there really struggled. Alpharetta Athletic Club has one good course. Wouldn't really bother with the other one. Club Corp bought out Sequoia and Cannongate down here a number of courses on the north side are now in that family if you are interested in checking those membership opportunities out.

I am a member of the Alpharetta Athletic Club.

1) No issues if you want to play with your wife. There is also an active LGA.

2) The east course is a nice layout with bent greens. It has some narrow holes with lots of OB. But it could not an issue at your level. In the summer, ball marks on the greens can be an issue but they do the work to keep them alive in the summer. The west course is nothing special.

3) The west course has the tennis courts and pool. Both, especially the east course, have an active social schedule also.

4) Initiation and monthly cost is reasonable. Not sure what the initiation is now but the monthly cost of for me before cart and food is $340 dollars. Also no food minimum. The others you mentioned are in higher cost neighborhoods, so they probably will cost more.

5) The level of the golfers varies from + to high handicap. There is a very active and successful junior program. The AAC team just came in second place at the PGA Jr League Nationals. Also a son of one of the members won the Drive, Chip, and Putt at the 2015 Masters.

Also there is an excellent practice facility at the east course. The biggest thing will be once you get here, check them out and check the weekday traffic to get there. Location of where you live will be a factor in your decision.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

I have been looking in the same general area.

When you say lowest possible initiation fee what exactly do you mean?

From what I remember all were decently high on initiations.

Which side of Alpharetta are you thinking? If North then AAC or Atlanta National. If east then look at Standard, ST. Ives, Rivermont, Georgia Golf. If West then look at Brookfield or Settindown. If you want only private those are the best options. All are really country club feel. I have played them all but AAC.

If you want more golf and not a huge crowded course check into Bradshaw Farms. It is a little father away to the North and West of Alpharetta. The greens are amazing from April through October, and then they are very good even though dormant in the winter.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

2) The east course is a nice layout with bent greens. It has some narrow holes with lots of OB. But it could not an issue at your level. In the summer, ball marks on the greens can be an issue but they do the work to keep them alive in the summer. The west course is nothing special.

3) The west course has the tennis courts and pool. Both, especially the east course, have an active social schedule also.

4) Initiation and monthly cost is reasonable. Not sure what the initiation is now but the monthly cost of for me before cart and food is $340 dollars. Also no food minimum. The others you mentioned are in higher cost neighborhoods, so they probably will cost more.

5) The level of the golfers varies from + to high handicap. There is a very active and successful junior program. The AAC team just came in second place at the PGA Jr League Nationals. Also a son of one of the members won the Drive, Chip, and Putt at the 2015 Masters.

Also there is an excellent practice facility at the east course. The biggest thing will be once you get here, check them out and check the weekday traffic to get there. Location of where you live will be a factor in your decision.

How many total members do they have now at AAC?

How many total members do they have now at AAC?

I am not really sure.

Callaway Chrome Soft

I haven't lived there in awhile, but my uncle is a member of AAC and if I recall correctly he would advise that you find a house over the county line in Cherokee or Forsyth. I don't know if he was exaggerating, but I remember the first year he payed property taxes in Fulton he said the difference would have covered his golf privileges.

I haven't lived there in awhile, but my uncle is a member of AAC and if I recall correctly he would advise that you find a house over the county line in Cherokee or Forsyth. I don't know if he was exaggerating, but I remember the first year he payed property taxes in Fulton he said the difference would have covered his golf privileges.

thanks for the tip... Of course it's important, no need to pay extra when you don't have to.. commute to office is important though. Remember - I'm moving from northern NJ (just outside of NYC), currently paying 15K+ property tax for <2000 sqft. house :)

Which side of Alpharetta are you thinking? If North then AAC or Atlanta National. If east then look at Standard, ST. Ives, Rivermont, Georgia Golf. If West then look at Brookfield or Settindown. If you want only private those are the best options. All are really country club feel. I have played them all but AAC.

If you want more golf and not a huge crowded course check into Bradshaw Farms. It is a little father away to the North and West of Alpharetta. The greens are amazing from April through October, and then they are very good even though dormant in the winter.

as far as the initiation goes - I'd say anything above10K would be out of the question; location is flexible, only condition is reasonable commute to the future office (12380 Morris Rd, Alpharetta), once this condition is met - the second criteria is close to a country club !

thanks for the tip... Of course it's important, no need to pay extra when you don't have to.. commute to office is important though. Remember - I'm moving from northern NJ (just outside of NYC), currently paying 15K+ property tax for <2000 sqft. house :)

The trick is that Fulton is a metro county. I know I don't need to explain this, but my uncle's house for instance is not but a few miles from the county line, so he kicks himself because the commute would be no different. If your resell is better and you could save as much as 10 or 12k a year, that's pretty big. That could cover a 20k initiation in 18 months. Best of luck! There are a bunch of benefits to Atlanta, but the best advice you'll get is not to underestimate the traffic. Remember jumping on a train simply isn't an option. Or it wasn't when I lived there.

I live in Fulton County (Milton) and my total property tax was just over $1700 for a $185000 townhouse (1900 sq. ft.). It does not matter which county you live, you will see a big drop in property taxes.

Callaway Chrome Soft

I live in Fulton County (Milton) and my total property tax was just over $1700 for a $185000 townhouse (1900 sq. ft.). It does not matter which county you live, you will see a big drop in property taxes.

Be glad you're not inside the Atlanta city limits like me. Apparently I hate money.

as far as the initiation goes - I'd say anything about 10K would be out of the question; location is flexible, only condition is reasonable commute to the future office (12380 Morris Rd, Alpharetta), once this condition is met - the second criteria is close to a country club !

If you are living near the office, your choices are Alpharetta Athletic Club, Golf Club of Georgia, and The Manor. The initiation fee for the Golf Club of Georgia and The Manor are going to be high. The course, clubhouse, and facilities are high end quality. I think I paid $1500 initiation fee at AAC in 2014. It might be a little higher now but would still be very reasonable.

You should not have a problem finding a place to live near the office. I live and work just north of there and have not problems getting to the course after work (just don't leave at 5 PM). PM me when you get down here and I will arrange to have you checkout AAC at the East Course.

Callaway Chrome Soft

Assuming the new job is in close proximity to Alpharetta (as opposed to choosing the location for the plethora of golfing options), then I think Rivermont is a solid choice. It has a relatively low initiation, reasonable monthly fees and a very good golf course with new bermuda greens (going to have to get used to those after playing bent greens in the northeast). Be advised, they have an active MGA and weekend tee times need to be booked quickly as the tee sheet fills up quickly. For a course located north of the perimeter, walking the course is surprisingly a reasonable option.

You should not have a problem finding a place to live near the office. I live and work just north of there and have not problems getting to the course after work (just don't leave at 5 PM). PM me when you get down here and I will arrange to have you checkout AAC at the East Course.

appreciate the offer! I should be there sometime in March and AAC is for sure on the list.. few co-workers live in the Milton area (some in the Crooked Creek HOA) which I understand is right there.. it's definitely good idea from social point of view ;)

appreciate the offer! I should be there sometime in March and AAC is for sure on the list.. few co-workers live in the Milton area (some in the Crooked Creek HOA) which I understand is right there.. it's definitely good idea from social point of view ;)

Alpharetta Athletic Club's East Course is the old Crooked Creek Golf Club. They changed the name to AAC when CC merged with Alpharetta Country Club (now the West course), so the CC neighborhood is where the golf course is located. As has been mentioned in here already, if you want access to a golf course during the week in the evenings, proximity to either your work or house (or both if you have the opportunity) is key in Atlanta. The traffic is awful in the suburbs if you are having to commute very far, and you probably won't get much use out of a club that is farther away during the week, unless you can sneak out before 4:30ish or so.

Rivermont vs. Alpharetta Athletic Club probably fit best into what you are looking for in my opinion. But the two courses are about 10-15 miles apart, so depending on where you want to live and where your work is located are big factors in your decision.

If you want a nice practice area and place to hit balls, chip and putt quite a bit, then that is a plus for Alpharetta. Rivermont has expanded the practice green below the first tee, but the range is small and short and you are hitting basically straight up a hill. There is minimal short game area to practice. Alpharetta has a better, bigger range and short game areas to practice.

Course wise, I prefer Rivermont. I haven't played on the new greens yet, but they put in Bermuda which thrives in the summer time here in Georgia. The bent greens really struggle in the heat of the summer and that definitely was the case at Rivermont. It will be interesting to see the Bermuda out there this upcoming summer.

Rivermont is owned by one family and will probably always stay that way. He has a board that he listens to when decisions need to be made, but ultimately the decision is his from my understanding. That said, from an outsiders perspective, everything they have done there since the re-design of the course has been very well received. I know that Alpharetta has changed ownership a couple of times and can't speak to what's going on now, but I know from a couple members that the super's budget had been cut somewhere along the line. That said, the main course is usually in very good shape, at least the last time I played it was, but the greens were really slow.

Rivermont is walkable if you are in decent shape. And if you are not, you will get into shape walking the course. The first seven holes are pretty flat then eight is a trudge up the hill and nine goes down and right back up (can't wait to see that new green). If there isn't a shuttle, the walk from 9 to 10 is just long down the hill up the hill to the clubhouse and back over to 10 tee. The back nine has some elevation changes to it and you will be tired from walking it, but it's a good tired!

There are a number of other options in the area if you have other questions on courses, but again, the biggest thing is to get down here, see where your work is, where you plan on living and then pick a club to join.

...There are a number of other options in the area if you have other questions on courses, but again, the biggest thing is to get down here, see where your work is, where you plan on living and then pick a club to join.

I really appreciate your time to post this, very helpful. All that I know for sure is wife's future office (12380 Morris Rd, Alpharetta) - I myself work as a IT consultant from home, so her commute is the only factor. Since the real estate market is really lively in the area around Alpharetta I was actually thinking to reverse the sequence - find a good golf club first, then find a house 1/2 way between these two points ! Your comment about slow greens scared the bejezus out of me.. the club we belong here was notorious for greens running 7-9 on stimp (blamed on low maintenance budget); this was really hurting me when playing in various amateur events on "real" golf courses with 10+ readings... Willing pay more not to deal with it anymore.

I really hope I can spend a week there in March and visit some of them while house hunting.

...There are a number of other options in the area if you have other questions on courses, but again, the biggest thing is to get down here, see where your work is, where you plan on living and then pick a club to join.

I really appreciate your time to post this, very helpful. All that I know for sure is wife's future office (12380 Morris Rd, Alpharetta) - I myself work as a IT consultant from home, so her commute is the only factor. Since the real estate market is really lively in the area around Alpharetta I was actually thinking to reverse the sequence - find a good golf club first, then find a house 1/2 way between these two points ! Your comment about slow greens scared the bejezus out of me.. the club we belong here was notorious for greens running 7-9 on stimp (blamed on low maintenance budget); this was really hurting me when playing in various amateur events on "real" golf courses with 10+ readings... Willing pay more not to deal with it anymore.

I really hope I can spend a week there in March and visit some of them while house hunting.

In the past 1.5 years I have been a member of AAC, the greens have never been slow except right after airification. Originally being from the Midwest, I am used to fast bent grass greens. Also last year, they put a lot of money into the course. They took out a bunker in the middle of a fairway that really did not fit the hole. They rebuilt the left side of one of the par 5's then replaced the fairway grass when they were done. Plus they rebuilt the area in front of the 18th green.

Callaway Chrome Soft

I am a Club Corp member living in Milton about 2 miles from your future office. White Columns is my home course and they have an excellent men and women golf groups. We have couples golf on Sunday from 12-1 where tee times are reserved. The initiation was 10k for me last year and they run specials in the spring. A club corp membership is transferable nationwide provided there is a club close by.

I would be glad to introduce you to our membership coordinator and play a round of golf sometime. I am a 3-4 handicap and I play White Columns, Manor and Atlanta National frequently. PM me when you are in town and I will try and help you out.

Joel

In the past 1.5 years I have been a member of AAC, the greens have never been slow except right after airification. Originally being from the Midwest, I am used to fast bent grass greens. Also last year, they put a lot of money into the course. They took out a bunker in the middle of a fairway that really did not fit the hole. They rebuilt the left side of one of the par 5's then replaced the fairway grass when they were done. Plus they rebuilt the area in front of the 18th green.

That's fair to hear about the greens. I am not a member and haven't played it as many times as you. The times I have played (last June was the last time), the greens were on the slower side, that day was especially slow. Maybe I was coming off the aeration schedule, not sure. The club had been doing some work and it was good to see money flowing back into the golf course. I will probably get out there a couple times this year to play. I enjoy the course and think it is a pretty good layout and if I lived up near it, I would probably join.

That sounds like a good plan and if you can find a reverse commute out there for your wife against major traffic flow, you will probably be able to find a golf course nearby the house you end up in. You can't go very far without running into one up on that side of town. Again, maybe I caught them on a bad day with the green speed the last time I played in June. But down here, unless a club has the money of a Peachtree or Capital City, it is tough to keep bent grass greens in great shape in the heat and humidity of the summer. Because of that more and more clubs are switching to the various Bermuda strands which do better in the late spring through early fall than bent. The bent grass will do better through the middle of fall until late spring. Definitely ask around at the clubs you visit to see how the greens roll in different parts of the year. If you plan on doing a lot of your playing in the summer, maybe check out a club with Bermuda. If you don't want to play in the heat and humidity and plan to play more in the spring and fall and take a step back in the summer, then a club with bent grass greens would still be a good option.

I am a Club Corp member living in Milton about 2 miles from your future office. White Columns is my home course and they have an excellent men and women golf groups. We have couples golf on Sunday from 12-1 where tee times are reserved. The initiation was 10k for me last year and they run specials in the spring. A club corp membership is transferable nationwide provided there is a club close by.

I would be glad to introduce you to our membership coordinator and play a round of golf sometime. I am a 3-4 handicap and I play White Columns, Manor and Atlanta National frequently. PM me when you are in town and I will try and help you out.

Joel

appreciate it! A little bit scared of corporate-owned golf club - especially with the initiation fee... have to read up on the club corp memberships, don't know much about it.

Will definitely reach out when timing of our plans are more clear !

Joel

appreciate it! A little bit scared of corporate-owned golf club - especially with the initiation fee... have to read up on the club corp memberships, don't know much about it.

Will definitely reach out when timing of our plans are more clear !

I would suggest that you really do your research on Club Corp. Don't make a knee jerk decision on any club in this market and as you probably know, membership directors will tell you anything to get you to sign up.

Be glad you're not inside the Atlanta city limits like me. Apparently I hate money.

Bad news. You gotta change your name now.

Titleist 907 D2 w/ V2 67
TM RBZ Stage 2 5W HL 21*
Mizuno MP63 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM4 52 & 58
Odyssey Tour Fill 2 Ball
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1120495-commerce-tigers-odd-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 3 weeks later...

So I talked to the membership director and according to him the LOST the greens on the West course this past summer. He said that they are probably back to 85% or so on those greens. According to him the East Course is their big course but the West however does have nine good holes. I am planning on trying to get out there to play in the next couple of weeks, and to ride around the West Course just to see if it would be OK for a quick nine after work during the week.

I think they would have been well placed when they lost the greens on the West to go ahead and replace with a Bermuda strain, then during the summer you could get more play out there as the East Course will let the Bent grass stay a little "hairy" to stop it from dying out. This I know would push me to the West in the middle of the Summer as I tend to play more Bermuda in the summer since it almost always tends to be quicker than most Bent courses.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Just ride what they call the Old 9 out there. It is 9 good holes that was originally out there The Blue tees for the full 18 on the West play at around 5800 yards. The old 9 Blue tees play around 3200 yards or so.

The holes I believe are 1-4 and 14-18 (someone can correct me on that if I am wrong). The other nine holes are built on land that probably could hold six good holes. But the original 9 holes out there are a good layout and would be great to play in the afternoon or evening for a quick round. I thought I heard that the West course had turned to Golfnow to fill tee times, but I don't know if that is the case or not. Don't know if that matters to you, but just something to consider there.

I think the 18 of the East and 9 of the West comprise a good stretch of golf for Alpharetta Athletic Club though. I hope you have a good round out there and keep us updated on what your thoughts are and where you end up.