2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

When Is a lower bounce wedge your friend??

chair

Ive never bought new wedges. I inherited some vokeys from somebody and found them just fine.

I'm going to purchase some new wedges finally but the amount of grinds / bounce options is insane.

I play to a 4 HC and can make my way around any course but my short game is terrible. I'm going to concentrate on getting better.

Currently play 52 55 60 all mid bounce 08 11 and 07

Im looking at either Mizuno S5 or the new vokeys to go with my MP 25 (PW is 46 deg)

In all these posts everyone says bounce is your friend. When is it smart to use a low bounce wedge??

My sand at home is usually hard packed and wet - there isn't much sand in the bunkers.

I usually hit full shots with 52 and 56 and use 60 for everything else inside 85 but I want to change that as Im not very good at it.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you play in mostly hard, dry conditions with very tight lies, low bounce wedges are good. For almost everything else, you need more bounce.

If you aren't good with the 60 wedge, drop it out of your bag for a month and see if your scoring improves.

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

The grind along with your technique is more important than bounce numbers. Your current 60 is pretty low bounce.

A good wedge player can use a higher bounce wedge off of concrete withe the right grind. I have an old vokey 58.12 M grind that I will practice shots off my patio with and you can hit some real spinners with it.

For hard sand I would recommend something with some bounce but a fairly aggressive trailing edge grind. But that is my opinion and it works for me with my technique.

Check out some of Iteach's videos or spend the small amount of money and download Monte's short game video.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

If you have a shallow swing and do not take much of a divot you need lower bounce. If you have a steeper swing and take a big divot you need more bounce. Conditions are one of the least important factors when it comes to selecting wedge bounce. Especially if you are a sweeper. If your club barely comes in contact with the ground what does it matter what the ground conditions are?

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

If you have a shallow swing and do not take much of a divot you need lower bounce. If you have a steeper swing and take a big divot you need more bounce. Conditions are one of the least important factors when it comes to selecting wedge bounce. Especially if you are a sweeper. If your club barely comes in contact with the ground what does it matter what the ground conditions are?

I disagee, typical conditions make a huge difference in bounce selection.

This is not true at all. Conditions are virtually unimportant. It's all about how you swing the club. The only reason people talk about conditions when related to wedge fitting is its an easy way for the larger OEMs to "fit" wedges to people without any knowledge of how they swing the club. I say this having dedicated most of my adult life to wedge fitting.

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

never been able to find out wtf real difference is between high and low bounce in the games myself. could only tell on the range mat, so decided not to worry about it. i know it just me, a dull person.

__

DR Callie Epic Flash 💎💎💎 8.5º TC + House of Forged Ballistic LD-S

3W Royal Collection CV Pro 13° + LAGP House of Forged Tour Limited 70X 

5W PXG 0341X Proto 18º + LAGP HoF Platinum 70S 

HYB Royal Collection 505V BBD 18º + NS PRO 950FW X, PXG 0317X 21º + Fujikura Pro 95i Tour Spec X

DI Nike VFP #4 + KBS Tour HYB Proto 95X, Callie X Forged ‘18 #3 + Modus Tour 120X

IRONS Callie X Forged 2013 5-PW MMT 95S

WEDGES Scratch 8620 47º, 50º, 55º STI 60º, Edel 60º

PUTTERS Nike Method 001, Edel The "Gold" Brick, John Byron Winner Seven

The more delicate the shot, the more that the bounce & grind will matter.

Thus, it's true that your results on full shots are less dependent on bounce than on technique. That said, if you're the type that gouges the ground and takes a huge pelt, you're doing a disservice to everyone else so keep that in mind. I do see people who seem to think it's cool to hack up ranges and fairways with lob wedges. I can't help but think that defaulting to a high bounce would lessen the damage those folks do.

Rant over. ;)

With the more delicate shots though, you want to pay attention to whether or not you need significant bounce. If the sand if wet, firm and packed you don't want much bounce, particularly because you'll be opening the face for those shots which will enhance how much bounce is already on your clubs. In that same way, if you open the blade you may prefer less bounce to begin with so that it's not too much when the club is laying open.

With chipping and pitching, it's a general rule that soft/wet/spongy = high bounce and dry/firm/tight = low bounce. That isn't always the case. For amateurs (who are often to steep), higher bounces usually act in their favor, for example, because the bounce encourages the club to glide along the turf instead of digging. But that doesn't mean that all good players want low bounce wedges.

You could also think in terms of ball position. If you like to move the ball up (a la Mickelson) you probably don't need much bounce whereas if you play the ball in the middle or back of center you might want a touch more so that your impact with the ground is smoother.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

The more delicate the shot, the more that the bounce & grind will matter.

Thus, it's true that your results on full shots are less dependent on bounce than on technique. That said, if you're the type that gouges the ground and takes a huge pelt, you're doing a disservice to everyone else so keep that in mind. I do see people who seem to think it's cool to hack up ranges and fairways with lob wedges. I can't help but think that defaulting to a high bounce would lessen the damage those folks do.

Rant over. ;)

With the more delicate shots though, you want to pay attention to whether or not you need significant bounce. If the sand if wet, firm and packed you don't want much bounce, particularly because you'll be opening the face for those shots which will enhance how much bounce is already on your clubs. In that same way, if you open the blade you may prefer less bounce to begin with so that it's not too much when the club is laying open.

With chipping and pitching, it's a general rule that soft/wet/spongy = high bounce and dry/firm/tight = low bounce. That isn't always the case. For amateurs (who are often to steep or too shallow), higher bounces usually act in their favor, for example.

Totally agree that consistent contact on more delicate shots are more dependant on bounce and grind than full shots. However on those delicate shots what's important is your swing dynamics and how you come into the ball not the course conditions.

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

Ive never bought new wedges. I inherited some vokeys from somebody and found them just fine.

I'm going to purchase some new wedges finally but the amount of grinds / bounce options is insane.

I play to a 4 HC and can make my way around any course but my short game is terrible. I'm going to concentrate on getting better.

Currently play 52 55 60 all mid bounce 08 11 and 07

Im looking at either Mizuno S5 or the new vokeys to go with my MP 25 (PW is 46 deg)

In all these posts everyone says bounce is your friend. When is it smart to use a low bounce wedge??

My sand at home is usually hard packed and wet - there isn't much sand in the bunkers.

I usually hit full shots with 52 and 56 and use 60 for everything else inside 85 but I want to change that as Im not very good at it.

For me, almost always. It's just what fits my swing. I have more of an issue hitting shots thin than I do chunking them. I only chunk when I get way off tempo, but catch it thin more frequently.

Also, as others have said, hard pan lies. I was way out of sorts with my swing and hard pan with other wedges I've owned.

It's not necessarily something I'd recommend everyone though. It just worked for me, but it's not something I think anyone should make work for them. It's all about the fit!

Totally agree that consistent contact on more delicate shots are more dependant on bounce and grind than full shots. However on those delicate shots what's important is your swing dynamics and how you come into the ball not the course conditions.

I tried to PM you Fred, but I got some odd message about your PM's.

I'd like to ask you a couple of questions if you don't mind?

I tried to PM you Fred, but I got some odd message about your PM's.

I'd like to ask you a couple of questions if you don't mind?

Strange I got the same strange message when I tried to pm you saying you cannot receive any new messages. Glitch in the system?

You can send me an email at [email protected]

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

The biggest score card wrecker for the average joe, trying to hit a lob wedge full on from 80 yards. I see it all the time as a caddy. Don't know why people just can't hit a 3/4 pw. Because they think that they are better with a lob wedge it's a common theme

F9 driver
king LTD 3 wood
F6 hybrid. vts silver
Z565. recoil 95
Pur wedges
Piretti Matera

This is not true at all. Conditions are virtually unimportant. It's all about how you swing the club. The only reason people talk about conditions when related to wedge fitting is its an easy way for the larger OEMs to "fit" wedges to people without any knowledge of how they swing the club. I say this having dedicated most of my adult life to wedge fitting.

I get what you are saying, but personally I would play lower bounce wedges in Fla. vs. what I play here in Oh.

I get what you are saying, but personally I would play lower bounce wedges in Fla. vs. what I play here in Oh.

I would maybe play a wedge with a little thinner sole if I consistently played on really firm turf. I would not change the bounce angle. Your angle of attack doesn't change when you play on firmer or softer turf.

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

Playing in Florida is playing havoc with me Wedge Play. If I skull one more delicate pitch from a hard, clay, bare spot off the green, I'm going to quit!

I know what you're saying. I found the sand base soils forced me to shallow out to get any consistency. And if anyone has a sure fire cure for bermuda I'd love to know it.

Good luck, you're pm'ing the right guy.

I would maybe play a wedge with a little thinner sole if I consistently played on really firm turf. I would not change the bounce angle. Your angle of attack doesn't change when you play on firmer or softer turf.

I actually felt like my swing did get less steep playing there and found succes with 10 degree bounce on sw. Typically I prefer 14. When I played a lot down there the tools for analyzing aoa weren't out yet, so who knows?

Hope to play there again so we'll see.

Hardpan or very firm sand or turf as well as downhill and/or simi-buried lies in the sand.

:golfer:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

I bet it you had analyzed it you would not see much of any aoa change. I've done testing with many low handicap, + handicap and a few tour pros and it's very hard to change aoa without major swing changes and tons of practice.

Also it's very unfortunate but there is no standard way to measure bounce and if you go by what the companies put on the clubs it's very inconsistent and imo mostly inaccurate. Most companies use bounce as a marketing term rather than an actual measurement. Add to that that playable bounce changes drastically based on sole width and different relief patterns and I'd bet your 10* bounce wedge was very similar to your 14* bounce wedge with maybe a little thinner sole. Unfortunately most OEMs do not make it easy to find the right wedges.

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

Very true on

I bet it you had analyzed it you would not see much of any aoa change. I've done testing with many low handicap, + handicap and a few tour pros and it's very hard to change aoa without major swing changes and tons of practice.

Also it's very unfortunate but there is no standard way to measure bounce and if you go by what the companies put on the clubs it's very inconsistent and imo mostly inaccurate. Most companies use bounce as a marketing term rather than an actual measurement. Add to that that playable bounce changes drastically based on sole width and different relief patterns and I'd bet your 10* bounce wedge was very similar to your 14* bounce wedge with maybe a little thinner sole. Unfortunately most OEMs do not make it easy to find the right wedges.

So true on all fronts. What I feel may not necessarily be so as compared to actual measurements. I do put in a lot of time with the wedges because it'something I can do in the backyard, and I have all manner of conditions covered thanks to a lot of trees, ha.

Nothing can save a score more than trusty wedges, at least for me.