What's with the PXG craze?

roadtrippin4550

http://www.ebay.com/...scAAOSwp5JWZuXv

epoxy some rivets on the outside and go play Pebble 4 times!

good one!

stealth 2 plus, 10.5 Titleist 6x tr blue

Cobra 4 iron 
G425 5 and 7 woods red ventus 90x

Tsi2 3 wood RDX black x

PXG 0311xp 5-gw, 0211 G,SW,LW  Wilson ci11 w/ ctaper 130x

Titleist sm9 s400 56,60
2ball blade
Titleist v1x

(Just had a shoulder replaced and I am buying clubs for my fantasy bag).

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amusing that so many are outraged and ready to condemn items without having tried them ( not all but most ) .

It's really simple , it's not a craze !

For some , it works .

For others , it doesn't .

I have the FW and a couple of hybrids and I think they're great and they work very well for me . I was properly fitted and have had every element of their adjustability utilised.......Happy days !

The question to a certain number is not , what's with the PXG craze ?

The question should be , why the PXG hatred ?

Particularly from so many that can best be described as ignorant .

Epon 103 9.5* Quadra Fire Express 75s
PXG 3 wood 15* GD Tour AD-DJ 7x
PXG 3 & 4 Hybrids GD Tour AD-DI hy85s
Miura CB 57s 5 - PW KBS C-Taper Lite S
Miura New Wedge Series 50 , 54 & 58
Yamada Shogun

I buy into the playing something not everyone else plays and that's cool with me. I'm the same way I like to find things that suit my game yet not everyone else has. Nobody wants a bag full of stuff everyone else seems to have. That being said comparing clubs to clubs you aren't going to find that magic that these feel so much better than other brands because of the price. End of the day if you can afford them and they suit you rock them bad boys out!!!

I be the first to admit I would love to try them especially in a fitting session but, gaming them for me would feel like owning a pet Cheetah! Excessive to the point of embarrassment....the price is insulting! The good news is if PXG is really on to something the copy cat manufactures will line up and adjustable screws will be as common as adjustable club heads.

Titleist TSR3 9* - GD Tour AD Di 6s  45.25"
Titleist TSR2 16.5" GD Tour AD Di 7x 
Mizuno MP 20 HMB 2i Nippon Modus 120s 
Mizuno MP 225 4-PW Nippon Modus 115s
TM MG2 50*, 54*, TM MG3 60*
Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Doulble Wide Putter 34" 

Discriminating has very little to do with it. Go through any thread about new equipment (this happens pretty much have every time one of the oems release something new) and then add perceived value because of jacked up prices and people drinking the hypeade and you have pxg. No new technology, no better performance than other clubs at half the price but people want the latest greatest for a variety of reasons.

if you only purchase items looking for value for money you are also NOT their target market...

PXG's market also includes those who appreciate a weii-crafted custom fitted piece of equipment made of the finest materials regardless of price..

not a big market for sure but am sure they're ok with that...

the material is steel - not pixie dust

It's not superior in any way

If you arent seeing these irons selling then you arent at the right courses. Its no secret that pxg targets higher end fitters and clubs. I played in a guest day at a high end club and saw at least 3 iron sets today. The pro shop said they are moving several sets. Its a boutique item targeted towards guys who likes stuff that will not be in the bag of every tom dick and hank. This exclusivity will cost you, but guys who are buying pxg dont really have $$ problems either.

I can't even fathom buying golf equipment at a course - I last did that in like 1983 I think

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

Discriminating has very little to do with it. Go through any thread about new equipment (this happens pretty much have every time one of the oems release something new) and then add perceived value because of jacked up prices and people drinking the hypeade and you have pxg. No new technology, no better performance than other clubs at half the price but people want the latest greatest for a variety of reasons.

if you only purchase items looking for value for money you are also NOT their target market...

PXG's market also includes those who appreciate a weii-crafted custom fitted piece of equipment made of the finest materials regardless of price..

If you arent seeing these irons selling then you arent at the right courses. Its no secret that pxg targets higher end fitters and clubs. I played in a guest day at a high end club and saw at least 3 iron sets today. The pro shop said they are moving several sets. Its a boutique item targeted towards guys who likes stuff that will not be in the bag of every tom dick and hank. This exclusivity will cost you, but guys who are buying pxg dont really have $$ problems either.

I can't even fathom buying golf equipment at a course - I last did that in like 1983 I think

I'm so bummed that my clubs aren't pixie dust, what a waste of money. I wonder if I show my fitter this if he will give me money back?

I'm so bummed that my clubs aren't pixie dust, what a waste of money. I wonder if I show my fitter this if he will give me money back?

I'm sure you knew they were just steel, like every other club :)

People like to equate cost with quality - your clubs are really nice but they aren't made out of some superior material.

TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

People like to equate cost with quality - your clubs are really nice but they aren't made out of some superior material.

Yep. It seems a slightly different somewhat innovative design. You'd think people would get personally fit if they're spending that much money. What's the benefit of "I like this head, I like this shaft, I like this length and lie, I like this grip, try to get this swingwight, will you?" -- and put in an order to the factory - at $300+/iron, and hope it gives better performance than their present setup. Heck, it doesn't have to be PXG, TM, Callaway, Ping, etc. also apply. Spend wisely ... it's a relative bucketload and if you're smart, these will last 3-5 years and allocated over time, the price is reasonable. Custom fit, Rickie? Yep, custom fit!

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Didn't mention value for money but there target market is people looking to spend more money than necessary for whatever reason. For some it will be the latest greatest and for others nothing more than ego stroking. For a very limited number they may fit them better than everything else out there at a lower normal price but that is the minority.

Well crafted and finest materials compared to what? Again it's hype. Produce an item, claim it's of better quality than everything else and slap a jacked up price on it and a certain sector of golfers will trip over themselves to get it and convince themselves it performs better. Golfers are suckers pure and simple.

those who do not buy or disparage these clubs are those who would buy seikos rather than rolexes...

nothing wrong with that too..

me....i have seikos and also breitlings, omegas and swatches ..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

Received my irons a couple weeks ago but here is a pic.

PXG_zps71n4aoya.jpg

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

those who do not buy or disparage these clubs are those who would buy seikos rather than rolexes...

Or they tried them and they weren't the best fit for them. Yes, it's possible.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Titleist 910D3 Tour AD-DI
Titleist 910F 19* Project X
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW KBS Tour-V
Titleist SM5 50*F/54*M/58*K KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Select Newport[/font]

Or they tried them and they weren't the best fit for them. Yes, it's possible.

if that's the reason not to buy then nothing wrong with that too..

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

PXG_zps71n4aoya.jpg

How do you like them?

DRIVERS (TBD):  COBRA DARKSPEED LS Tour 9*, Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 60s //  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN6 Two Sets 0311XP, Double Black and Xtreme Dark, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

As a more casual player, who has a lot of other interests, I don't really see a problem with them or the price if they are a longer term solution with long term durability and the ability to be truly adjustable to the player. This might be a big "if", but if the face delivers a consistent shot and the weighting allows individual tweaking on a club to club basis, it is an interesting approach. The only downfall I see is that the adjustability should have continued to include at least lie and possible loft. And this is a marketing approach that major manufacturers won't want to duplicate.

I see so many posts where someone has gone through a new set, or two, of irons a year and I would think that in the long run a lot more has been spent on clubs that disappoint and end up in the used section of Roger Dunn or the back of a garage. And then there are shafts and trying to dial in swing weight.

There are for those who like to buy the latest and greatest each year and pre-order based on press releases. Nothing wrong with that either as long as it floats your boat.

John

PS added.. and the discussion hasn't even touch on the cost of green fees.

PXG_zps71n4aoya.jpg

Very nice! How do you like them? I also have the 0311t's and they feel much better than the normal 0311's...to me it is a night and day difference. The 0311's almost had a hollow feel to them like the tmb's. But the 0311's have a very solid soft feel, I would say very close to my cb57's...just slightly softer...the cb57's have a more dense solid feel.

PXG_zps71n4aoya.jpg

Very nice! How do you like them? I also have the 0311t's and they feel much better than the normal 0311's...to me it is a night and day difference. The 0311's almost had a hollow feel to them like the tmb's. But the 0311's have a very solid soft feel, I would say very close to my cb57's...just slightly softer...the cb57's have a more dense solid feel.

That's very interesting. Curious if anyone else has noticed the same thing. From my understanding the 0311 and 0311t's are essentially the same iron with the latter version being a slightly more compact head, thinner topline and less offset.?

Did the PXG craze kill the Hogan craze! :sorry:

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

That's still a whole lot of leaning on those irons. I'd be much happier if those blades were straight up and down. Too much offset, still.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

Yea but my Seiko is stainless steel and my Rolex is gold. When I spend the money I want more. Unless pxg really is the perfect fit, spending that kind of money too feel special is silly. That's my opinion.

No - reality did

The Hogan noise has been very quiet lately.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

No - reality did

Just like this will be in 6 months - It doesn't help that PXG irons make your ball roll off greens into water like Billy Ho's. I bet if he had a different color screw in the 6th position from the toe that wouldn't have happened!

TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

That's still a whole lot of leaning on those irons. I'd be much happier if those blades were straight up and down. Too much offset, still.

there is actually less offset in the 0311t's than titleist 716 mb's from 5-pw I believe...the 3 and 4 have just a tad more

I would not say that Titleist blades are anywhere near zero offset.

Once you have played a set of irons that has zero offset, you will understand why it's important.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

Both Hogan and PXG had demo days at my course within the last three weeks. Absolutely no enthusiasm from anyone for the Hogan offerings including the new hybrids (marked "prototype") and PTX irons. By contrast, the PXG demo was very active. Our head pro said Hogan sold two wedges and no iron sets; PXG sold a number of iron sets, wedges, and putters. Not sure about drivers, fairways, or hypbrids. He opined that he didn't see how Hogan was going to make it.

No - reality did

Just like this will be in 6 months - It doesn't help that PXG irons make your ball roll off greens into water like Billy Ho's. I bet if he had a different color screw in the 6th position from the toe that wouldn't have happened!

You mean the one that he didn't mark and the wind pushed it off the green into the water while his PXG's were still sitting in his bag? Really? PXG is to blame for that?

Yea but my Seiko is stainless steel and my Rolex is gold. When I spend the money I want more. Unless pxg really is the perfect fit, spending that kind of money too feel special is silly. That's my opinion.

and i doubt if anyone who purchased a whole set was not happy with the fit..

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60