I hit a greens keeper

They were edging sand trap, I whistled as loud as I can but one of the walked right into it on the fly, solid strike to the shoulder.

By the time we got down there they have moved on so I tracked him down to shake his hand that appologize (very nice guy, said it was part of the job) but I said I was sorry again and be went back to business.

Did I do the right thing? What you you do?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yell fore.

Also, don't hit while there are people you can hit with your shot.

Do you hit when they are changing the cups?

If there was a single in front of you and he was raking the trap would you have hit? I hope not. Same thing with the worker.

If he acknowledged you and waived you up, then hit. Otherwise wait.

Up your GIR stats, that way they guys trimming the bunkers are safe.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

I my defense, they weren't raking traps, they were pushing sand back up on the edges after a big rain, a process that takes considerable time. We had already watch several groups play through while we were on the adjacent holes, I don't make a habit of hitting when I think I can reach someone I felt like this was an extenuating circumstances. . I whistled because I can do it a lot louder than yelling fore. Finally, the trap was only a couple paces off the edge of the bunker.

Were you walking or riding? If riding, it only takes a minute to ride up, and let them know you are getting ready to hit. I'm sure you wouldn't hit if they were golfers rather than workers. I assume that is your family in your avatar. If you had hit the worker in the head, he might not have gone home to his family.

You did fine OP!!

I'll frequently sneak in 4 or 5 holes before heading to the office in the morning... The crew is out working on the course... I know them all!! While I haven't hit one there have been some close calls...

They know the risks, typically would rather keep working rather than step away to a safe spot when golfers come upon them, and hold no grudges... So don't worry!

I play away from them, if they're right I play left, if they're short I club up.... Move along, let them do their thing and head to the next hole....

I'm surprised by and very disappointed in some of the attitudes showed here. If there's a greenskeeper working anywhere near the direction you're playing and in sight, you don't hit until you have permission from the greenskeeper to do so or s/he goes someplace else. It is basic etiquette and common courtesy/sense.

You wouldn't hit your approach shot when the group ahead is still putting or near the green nor would you like people hitting golf balls towards your desk at the office. It is not a "part of the job" to get hit by golf balls. Neither is it OK for a person to do something that's wrong just because others do so.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

Its never okay to tee off or hit an approach shot into a green where a maintenance worker is, unless he sees you and waves you up.

Where I play the maintenance staff would rather you hit into them than stop working. Once they see you they wave you up immediately. They may step aside if they are in the middle of the fairway or green, but if they are along the edges they rarely do.

Ninety-nine percent of the time they don't even watch where the ball is going. Most figure the odds of you hitting them are so minuscule they just don't care.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

I'm telling you guys this was not a normal circumstance and I do not hit into people, they saw us and they had a spotter, he is not the one I hit, I hit the one that stepped out of the bunker and walked toward him.

I think this information would have been helpful earlier. So much so that I'm now a bit confused by your question, "What would you do?"

If a group of people waived me up, I would hit. And yell nonetheless if I saw that my shot was going to be close to one of them. Is that what you're asking?

Raise my hand in their direction and wait until they acknowledge my presence before playing my shot under any circumstance, golf balls hurt/can kill period. If its going within 20-25 yards yell fore, can't be careful enough.

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

Yell fore always

--> but if you hit him autograph a glove give it to the guy then get up and down for par just like the pros do. <--

Problem solved!

Driver #1: TM Aeroburner TP 10.5 °
Driver #2 TM Aeroburner TP Mini 14°
5W: TM Aeroburner TP 18°
Hybrid: TM Aeroburner TP 19°
Irons: TM Tour Preferred CB 4 - AW
Wedge: TM Tour Preferred 56° ATV
Putter#1: Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport Two
Putter#2: Scotty Cameron California Sea Mist Fastback 1/500
Putter#3: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood
Sun Mountain C-130 Red, White & Blue
Handicap 27.1

OP, you handled the situation well and shouldn't lose sleep over it. However, there are still lessons to be learned from this for the next time you find yourself in a similar circumstance.

First, "FORE!" has a universal meaning and produces a universal response on a golf course that even the loudest of whistles does not.

Second, doesn't matter what the nature of the work was. The fact that workers were anywhere near the line of play should give one pause. Never a good idea to hit until acknowledged and waved up. If someone still gets hit after all that, then it's just not a good day for all involved but at least the proper precautions were taken.

Glad the worker was OK, and that the situation resolved amicably.

Lovely family, BTW, take good care of them.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

What would you do was in reference to what I should do when I speak to the guy, I didn't think I could do anything more than apologize. I just wondered if anyone else had been through this and what they did.

I never meant for the thread to go in the direction it has.

The fact that you sought the guy out to make sure he was okay seems very nice and respectful, and from your tone here I'm sure it also came across as sincere.

We can all rejoice that no serious injury occurred.

OP, you handled the situation well and shouldn't lose sleep over it. However, there are still lessons to be learned from this for the next time you find yourself in a similar circumstance.

First, "FORE!" has a universal meaning and produces a universal response on a golf course that even the loudest of whistles does not.

Second, doesn't matter what the nature of the work was. The fact that workers were anywhere near the line of play should give one pause. Never a good idea to hit until acknowledged and waved up. If someone still gets hit after all that, then it's just not a good day for all involved but at least the proper precautions were taken.

Glad the worker was OK, and that the situation resolved amicably.

Lovely family, BTW, take good care of them.

Thank you, we are very proud.

I see we have a “kind of” new poster (86 posts). I will first welcome you to the forum WooPig.

Unlike you, when I read your message I thought the thread could go precisely in the direction it went, pretty much because it’s generally accepted that hitting in a direction where someone might be hit by your golf ball is not right... you could actually say that it's wrong. Now, this is an Internet forum and we don’t know anything more than what you wrote and it sounds like you could have done more in order to avoid hitting this worker, hence the responses you’ve had. I’m sure that you will agree with most of those who said that it’s wrong. I also think that we have quite a few members of the forum who work or have worked in a golf course, so they empathize with the worker. As always, being there makes it easier to understand the circumstances a lot better.

Beyond that, I believe that - after hitting him- you did right. Go there as fast as you can, make sure he’s alright and apologize is, perhaps, the least you can do. In the other hand, if he tells you that he’s all right, there is not much more you can do, other than apologize again and tell him you’re glad he’s O.K.

I'm sure next time you'll make sure they see you before hitting! ;)

As someone who worked on a grounds crew, it comes with the job. OP don't worry. I was hit a few times, but knew it was part of being out there. Especially the days I spent edging traps,was like 2 hours per trap took forever.

TM SLDR 430 10.5* w/ Speeder
Cobra Bio Cell+ 13.5* w/ Matrix
Srixon ZTXII w/ TT TC X1
TM ATV 52*/58* w/ KBS Tour Black (Tiger Stepped)
[size=4]Scotty Cameron Golo[/size]

I also worked on the grounds crew through college and 2 summer in high school for a total of 6 summers on the busiest course in my area. Before I hit the shot I did everything that I would have expected someone to do before hitting my way when I was working.

I'm sorry to keep repeating myself but I truly do not want any of you thinking that I'm the guy who prances around the place like he owns the course. I truly believe that it was just an unfortunate ACCIDENT and wanted to know if everyone felt that I behaved in an appropriate way after the fact.

I also worked on the grounds crew through college and 2 summer in high school for a total of 6 summers on the busiest course in my area. Before I hit the shot I did everything that I would have expected someone to do before hitting my way when I was working.

I'm sorry to keep repeating myself but I truly do not want any of you thinking that I'm the guy who prances around the place like he owns the course. I truly believe that it was just an unfortunate ACCIDENT and wanted to know if everyone felt that I behaved in an appropriate way after the fact.

I would have done the same as you. The greenskeepers usually have confidence in us to hit the green than we do ourselves.

I my defense, they weren't raking traps, they were pushing sand back up on the edges after a big rain, a process that takes considerable time. We had already watch several groups play through while we were on the adjacent holes, I don't make a habit of hitting when I think I can reach someone I felt like this was an extenuating circumstances. . I whistled because I can do it a lot louder than yelling fore. Finally, the trap was only a couple paces off the edge of the bunker.

I think another poster said it, but a whistle means "look over here". It is a good thing to do to get them to wave you up, but a bad thing to do with a ball heading for them. Fore means "take cover".

Now the funny thing I can never figure out is what to yell when a ball his heading off the course towards non-golfers as FORE means nothing to them.

I think another poster said it, but a whistle means "look over here". It is a good thing to do to get them to wave you up, but a bad thing to do with a ball heading for them. Fore means "take cover".

Now the funny thing I can never figure out is what to yell when a ball his heading off the course towards non-golfers as FORE means nothing to them.

Incoming!

Incoming!

Not bad, I tend to yell "Watch out o the road!" (after yelling fore out of instinct)

Another retired LEO and I work Monday mornings tending bunkers at The Ledges. Pay is minimum wage, but we get to play an use the practice facility. I always have my head on a swivel and have never been hit. If we're doing a green side bunker we typically stand behind our cart. Occasionally someone will whistle or wave to get our attention which is appreciated. My point- I know I'm in a danger zone and its up to me to make sure I don't get hit. I assume every golfer has the potential to send one in my direction.

I think the OP did fine.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs