2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Debate: The Sacrifice of Bulking Up

UCBananaboy

Not involved in the body building community but very involved in the NHL and NCAA hockey community. So I do know the best strength coaches in the field of hockey. We do see players who have used substances. Genetic patterns who look like that at 15, sorry. I know Gordie Howe who played in the NHL at 54 and he was a genetic freak. But he looked like a normal guy.

Just had a professional hockey player look at the pic and his response was no way.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because a professional hockey player say a picture and said "no way" doesn't give that any validity or prove anything about a 15 yr old Herschel Walker. Again, him and Bo Jackson are one in a million type examples. If you think a kid from dirt poor upbringings in rural Georgia had anything to do with steroids (or had access to them or could afford them), you don't know much about his upbringing. NHL players, while there are some decent sized guys and very fit, aren't exactly physical specimens or train in a way that produce them to be physical specimens (certainly compare to let's say, real natural bodybuilders) - it really doesn't make their opinion anymore valuable than let's say, high school gym weightlifting coach.

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

Another problem with comparing Rory and Tiger is you cannot compare a person using controlled weights and conditioning training for golf with someone who ran in combat boots every day and ran through SEAL training where he would get beat up as the same thing. Tiger put his body through much more abuse than he needed to and it didn't really have that much to do with the weight training he was doing. Tigers injuries most likely had little to nothing to do with swing or weight training. Bad decisions on hobbies is what lead to injury for Tiger.

Tiger didn't go through SEAL training.

Ok....

Haha, call it what you will. Kill House exercises, parachute jumps, running miles in combat boots with SEALs are not golf type exercises. I'm not sure what you mean, but those were things he did on the regular after his father died.

Taylormade M1 460 - Aldila Tour Blue
Taylormade M1 fairway - Aldila Tour Blue
Taylormade M1 hybrids 4&5 - Aldila Rouge 110
Taylormade PSi Tour irons - KBS Tour
Taylormade EF Wedges ATV Grind - KBS Wedge
Nike Method Mod 60

Everyone mentioning Spieth, Fowler, Smylie and Justin Thomas as being guys who are in the gym need to check out the photos of them on their recent holiday. I don't know what they do in the gym but they all have massive dad bods (skinny fat) - all undeniably great Golfers but could they take something from what Rory does?

So either their training sucks (i.e. they are all in the gym 5days/week and not getting results) or their diet sucks (i.e sticking on an extra 15lbs of fat doesn't help your golf game. It does make you fat).

Obviously we don't have much insight into any of these guys training. Heck those videos could be staged because someone thinks doing throws of a ball looks cool. Or maybe Rory is doing sets of bicep curls every day (I am sure there is a less usefull exercise for golf, but not many). Or the likely issue is that the fat guys are just eating a few too many big macs.

Another problem with comparing Rory and Tiger is you cannot compare a person using controlled weights and conditioning training for golf with someone who ran in combat boots every day and ran through SEAL training where he would get beat up as the same thing. Tiger put his body through much more abuse than he needed to and it didn't really have that much to do with the weight training he was doing. Tigers injuries most likely had little to nothing to do with swing or weight training. Bad decisions on hobbies is what lead to injury for Tiger.

Ok....

Haha, call it what you will. Kill House exercises, parachute jumps, running miles in combat boots with SEALs are not golf type exercises. I'm not sure what you mean, but those were things he did on the regular after his father died.

I actually agree with your points about the differences between Tiger and Rory. I just get tired of hearing the "Tiger went through SEAL training" line by the media. He didn't.

Ok....

Not to be argumentative, however he's right in that Tiger PLAYED SEAL, and this came from SEALS that were with him, at the remote site, in the kill house and let's face it, anyone can learn to sky dive, that's not just a special forces activity. I find his running in combat boots frickin hilarious as did a few SEALs. The one was literally, "WhyTF is he doin that," lmao. No, he didn't ask him.

Again, he he was "pampered" as Serious orders came down not to LAY A FINGER ON HIM, as would occur in "real" SEAL Training-

Just as some activities that any one of us could participate in are more strenuous and dangerous than others, such as getting jump certified, to make the leap that Tiger had "SEAL Training" is akin to when as a college football Player we would entertain HS players, and most could never Play at the D1 level, however we took them through our weight room workouts, our "dummy" and sled drills and even put shoulder pads and helmets on them and went non-contact "live" in scrimmages.

When we as a team did the shoulder pads/helmets scrimmage, well, I'll leave it at by 4-5 Plays in I knew that you were coming at me full-on and you better accept that I was coming at you "live," yet they never saw this side of our practices and "training."

He obviously had a void in his life and I believe that we've touched on it and he was searching-

Obviously on a lesser level however I know that a lot of us that have "achieved" in our lives, and when that chapter either comes to a close or a traumatic event occurs that with it brings a finality that we are unable to change or "turn back the clock," well, we are looking to something to fill that void.

Sometimes it's a good good healthy thing and outlet and sometimes it's self destructive or damaging to us-

It is what it is......

And Tiger's was what it was~

He get to let loose and play SEAL for a bit-

It made him feel good for a while

Is that such a bad thing???

Oh, and Eff Haney-

He doesn't have the stones that he was born with-

I don't care how great a Teacher he was or is-

I ain't talkin about that

Take care Bro :)

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Just because a professional hockey player say a picture and said "no way" doesn't give that any validity or prove anything about a 15 yr old Herschel Walker. Again, him and Bo Jackson are one in a million type examples. If you think a kid from dirt poor upbringings in rural Georgia had anything to do with steroids (or had access to them or could afford them), you don't know much about his upbringing. NHL players, while there are some decent sized guys and very fit, aren't exactly physical specimens or train in a way that produce them to be physical specimens (certainly compare to let's say, real natural bodybuilders) - it really doesn't make their opinion anymore valuable than let's say, high school gym weightlifting coach.

Agreed!!!

I will say that while I haven't been involved in the NCAA or NHL community though I count Mark Recchi as a close friend(now THERE is a physical specimen, lmao), I have been deeply involved in the NCAA D1 and NFL community, from Players to Coaches to Physicians and Trainers to Strength Coaches, and they didn't look at pictures.

They Played with, against and Coached against HW and the impression, to a man, is that he was a freak and never did any type of PEDs-

I hope that you're well Bro :)

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Ok....

I actually agree with your points about the differences between Tiger and Rory. I just get tired of hearing the "Tiger went through SEAL training" line by the media. He didn't.

He did not go through a full regimented training, no. But you could understand that might be an easier way to put it. From what I understand, he did have a ton of high impact exercises that a golfer probably should not have. Also, he did it enough to where people in his inner circle had to beg him to stop. These are not things Rory is doing.

The only thing I could compare it to is the absolute dress down Rory got last year from kicking a soccer ball. Tiger did far worse than that back in the day with his excursions, think if it had happened in today's social media circus. But it seems we agree so I'm not sure why I'm wasting my time typing it.

Also, to Richard. I don't think there is anything persay wrong with him wanting to "play SEAL". I think it has done detriment to his body with the other workouts he did (many of which had nothing to do with golf, but rather to try and be ready for SEAL training like he wanted to do). You combine all of that and we get to where we are now, a broken body and questions whether he can come back.

I really think that Rory is just fine doing the many things he's doing with conditioning and rotational workouts. He is improving his core and that will go a long way to distance and longevity, at least in my opinion. But what do I know, I'm an overweight white guy who's only mediocre at golf myself.

Nike Method Mod 60

Bro, I'm an overweight white guy who can't even play golf now ;)

Ok....

I'm an overweight white guy who's only mediocre at golf myself.

Bro, I'm an overweight white guy who can't even play golf right now :)

Stay Well My Friend!!

All the Best,

Richard

Golfers would benefit much more from PED's that have nothing to do with your physique. Rory busted his butt to go from fat to in shape. Good on him.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Golfers would benefit much more from PED's that have nothing to do with your physique.

and what kind is that you're talking about?

My exact question-

Specifics please :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

RP

Golfers would benefit much more from PED's that have nothing to do with your physique. Rory busted his butt to go from fat to in shape. Good on him.

GH for one. Drastically improve your bodies ability to recover while also maintaining joint health. Also improves endurance, immune system, the list goes on and on

Edel PROTO

A solid amount of current ex-Pro athletes (MLB, NFL, NHL, ect...) that are 'bulky' are close to scratch golfers. Obviously they are talented individuals but flexibility is key.

Now if you mean, is bulking bad in regards to your joints and what not? That is a completely different argument you can make - in which bulking too fast can put unforeseen stress on the body and hence causing premature failure...

GH has a ton to do with your physique tho

Yeah but it's not used to add large amounts of muscle. It's a peptide hormone, very different then things like Testosterone. GH is all about health and vitality not building muscle. If Tiger Woods was allowed to use GH he would be back playing golf already.

Edel PROTO

GH for one.

GH, depending on how it's used and the delivery system indeed does have a hell of a lot to do with physique and I use a former teammate for whom this was his primary PED of choice as just one example as he took himself from a 6'1", 260lb "average" strength for a D1 OG to a 6'1", 292lb NFL OG who finished third in the NFL Strongman Comps-

Also, this was the initial flagship PED for Ball Players and body builders in the 70's and into the 80's for increased size, mass and weight along with vascularity(cut look) for body builders-

For a Football Player, the list consisted of two benefits realized from maniacal work outs-

1) Increased Size

2) Increased Strength

The list stopped there :)

Take care-

RP

Yeah but it's not used to add large amounts of muscle. It's a peptide hormone, very different then things like Testosterone. GH is all about health and vitality not building muscle. If Tiger Woods was allowed to use GH he would be back playing golf already.

The heck it's not - GH is widely widely used to build muscle mass- the reason it isn't the "go-to" for bodybuilders is that it's massively expensive

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2439518/

Why do you think protein producers use it to build massive cows and chickens? How did Bonds gain 50 lbs and never fail a drug test? (hgh)

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

Lol @ Rory being "huge." He has a somewhat muscular physique, but he is FAR from huge. Working out and staying in shape is part of good Golf. As long as you maintain MOBILITY and FLEXIBILITY, you can bulk as much as you want.

It has been said before, but mobility and flexibility has nothing to do with muscle mass except if you are a real bodybuilder where muscle restricts joint movement.

Strength training actually helps mobility because of the contraction and stretching during the exercises.

Beta blockers would be #1 on my list. Some people swear Adderall helps them out. EPO might help with recovery/not getting tired but it isn't in the same class as gh, test, or any of the other anabolic steroids in terms of rebuilding muscle after working out.

Lol @ Rory being "huge." He has a somewhat muscular physique, but he is FAR from huge. Working out and staying in shape is part of good Golf. As long as you maintain MOBILITY and FLEXIBILITY, you can bulk as much as you want.

It has been said before, but mobility and flexibility has nothing to do with muscle mass except if you are a real bodybuilder where muscle restricts joint movement.

Strength training actually helps mobility because of the contraction and stretching during the exercises.

The best distinction I've heard between mobility and simple flexibility is mobility requires strength at the outer limit of a range of motion. When we think of NFL punters, figure skaters, ballet dancers, curlers (yeah, I went there), and certainly golfers, this is clearly the essential need.

Have any of you ever looked at how Ichiro trains? Pretty interesting stuff.

Yeah but it's not used to add large amounts of muscle.

IT SureTF was in the 70's and 80's-

The evolutionary process has introduced far more effective PEDs to accomplish my prior three stated benefits however THIS was THE Flagship for both college Players and NFLers who wanted mass, size and strength

I'm out of this discussion however if some young guys or gals who don't really know anything about this, I can't leave em with inacurate opinions masquerading as fact and whose tone or certainty exceeds the actual knowledge-

I'll put it out there-

I too used GH and went from 6'2, 212lb frosh ILB/Mike who ran a 4.78 40 to two years later a 6'2", 242lb redshirt soph who covered 40 in 4.80(hand timed) with a serious edge, lmao

Injectable was my delivery system and GH my Breakfast of Champions-

That was it for me and probably 3-4 of my teammates-

GH

No offense intended because you have a lot of excellent posts though to say that GH does not build mass, size and strength is just plain bulls***-

That's a fact, not opinion-

Stay Well My Friend,

Richard

Now if you mean, is bulking bad in regards to your joints and what not? That is a completely different argument you can make - in which bulking too fast can put unforeseen stress on the body and hence causing premature failure...

So, extrapolate on your thinking. Is it possible that Tiger bulked up too fast which may have, along with his swing, caused injuries? Is it possible?

So, extrapolate on your thinking. Is it possible that Tiger bulked up too fast which may have, along with his swing, caused injuries? Is it possible?

I'll stick to my belief it was the other things besides just weights that led to Tiger's issues. I don't think the gym in general brought him down at all.

Nike Method Mod 60

I'll stick to my belief it was the other things besides just weights that led to Tiger's issues. I don't think the gym in general brought him down at all.

You're not alone here Bro-

I'm not gonna argue cuz I'm not out to change minds however I couldn't agree more with Ya :)

Did they contribute?

Possibly, though I'd have to hear that from someone who knows the man, treated the man and calls himself "Dr."

The primary factor?????

LMAO, yea right-

Have a great season!!

My Best,

RP

I'm not gonna argue cuz I'm not out to change minds however I couldn't agree more with Ya :)

Did they contribute?

Possibly, though I'd have to hear that from someone who knows the man, treated the man and calls himself "Dr."

The primary factor?????

LMAO, yea right-

Have a great season!!

My Best,

RP

Yes it was the cumulative effect of so many high intensity activities. The human body inevitably falls apart at some age. It's like a car---no matter how well made the car, the more miles you put on it, it eventually starts to have issues. Tiger put like 30,000 miles a year on his car (body). He went all out. Which probably helped him be great. Hitting a lot of balls everyday, working out everyday, playing golf every day with a swing that requires big flexibility and a lot of torque, stress on his back and knee, plus Navy Seals, weight lifting, etc. This is just large cumulative effect on a human, finite body.

Did they contribute?

The primary factor?????

LMAO, yea right-

Have a great season!!

My Best,

RP

Yes it was the cumulative effect of so many high intensity activities. The human body inevitably falls apart at some age. It's like a car---no matter how well made the car, the more miles you put on it, it eventually starts to have issues. Tiger put like 30,000 miles a year on his car (body). He went all out. Which probably helped him be great. Hitting a lot of balls everyday, working out everyday, playing golf every day with a swing that requires big flexibility and a lot of torque, stress on his back and knee, plus Navy Seals, weight lifting, etc. This is just large cumulative effect on a human, finite body.

A lot of the breaking down you refer to is related to genetics. Much like so many other diseases. Some people's body tolerate the same stresses better than others. Some factors you can control and others you can't. Unlike a car, your body is capable of repairing and rejuvenating. If you work out properly, the body does not necessarily break down. You are capable of maintaining and building muscle throughout your life.

Another consideration is what the individual needs. If someone is built like ye olde brick ****house, they may need flexibility more than building more mass. If you look at Rory and Tiger when they were young, Rory was kind of a sloppy little fella and Tiger was a wiry gumby type. Strength training appears to have helped tighten up Rory's swing (not him) and made Tiger more dynamically fast through the ball. In the latter's case, however, it may have also given him the strength to hurt himself.

A lot of the breaking down you refer to is related to genetics. Much like so many other diseases. Some people's body tolerate the same stresses better than others. Some factors you can control and others you can't. Unlike a car, your body is capable of repairing and rejuvenating. If you work out properly, the body does not necessarily break down. You are capable of maintaining and building muscle throughout your life.

Don't totally disagree with you, and agree on genetics. But you almost make it sound like the human body can repair and rejuvenate indefinitely. When, my point is that every human body as an expiration point. For example, past the age of 25-30 you will probably never achieve the same level of physicality overall as then if you did equal work. And as you get older and put on more mileage, it is harder to maintain great shape and avoid injury. This is obvious. and my point was Tiger accelerated his age in some ways through overuse.

By the way. . .you can repair and rejuvenate a car too. doesn't make it the same as it once was