2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

The Secret History of Tiger Woods -

socied

I'm not sure I agree with the father part but he's spot on about the media fascination. Media is maybe unfair, just the general public fascination which seems to grow with the less that Tiger does.

All Tiger's done is open a course, do a few foundation events and clinics in 9 months and there is a litany of articles about him. Sports Illustrated and ESPN did massive features on him, that made big waves, despite him not doing anything particularly notable in the past year. He's 500 odd rahnked in the world and had more 80s than 60s on his previous year on tour. I'm not sure what people are expecting really. He's mythologised with every week he spends off the course. Tiger Woods or Bobby Fischer?

I don't know how many times on twitter I've seen a gif or video of Tiger from 15 years ago saying 'can't wait til Tiger's back!' Sorry but that Tiger is never coming back. If it was any other sport, he would have retired by now. What other sportsperson in their peak in 2001 is as good as that today? It's just that in golf there's a certain expectation to play through your 40s. But Tiger was more like an athlete than an average golfer so I don't think that applies to him.

It is amazing. Nice post.

But I am always going to take exception to using the word, "Athlete", with Woods. He's just not. I'd pick a thousand other guys on tour to throw a football, hit a baseball, shoot a basketball, etc. He can (could) run fast...so what? I wouldn't choose Woods to do these things for the same reasons I would not have picked Carl Lewis or Abebe Bikila.

Uh oh. The golfers aren't athletes thing.

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you didn't like my use of the word "stones" in that context, LMAO? Wow, I didn't know that you held Feiny is such disdain, lol.

See ya soon Sweetie :)

Lovingly,

Me

And you're getting married? What the h*** does Maddie not liking your use of a word have to do with her using it? C'mon man!! :)

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

So Tiger is supposed to be this incredibly mentally tough person, and Feinstein is going on about how much pain he caused him because he had an affair, and apparently he couldn't get over that?

People go through far worse than that every day. Children lose parents unexpectedly at very young ages, parents lose children, etc. You'd think Tiger had the roughest life of anyone who has ever lived. Good grief.

This new rift between Earl and Tiger is the new hot thing. I don't get it.

There was also a story recently about a SEAL who died overseas, and there's footage of the ambush he was caught in. I laughed thinking that people believe Tiger would EVER be in the middle of something like that.

I'm not sure I agree with the father part but he's spot on about the media fascination. Media is maybe unfair, just the general public fascination which seems to grow with the less that Tiger does.

All Tiger's done is open a course, do a few foundation events and clinics in 9 months and there is a litany of articles about him. Sports Illustrated and ESPN did massive features on him, that made big waves, despite him not doing anything particularly notable in the past year. He's 500 odd rahnked in the world and had more 80s than 60s on his previous year on tour. I'm not sure what people are expecting really. He's mythologised with every week he spends off the course. Tiger Woods or Bobby Fischer?

I don't know how many times on twitter I've seen a gif or video of Tiger from 15 years ago saying 'can't wait til Tiger's back!' Sorry but that Tiger is never coming back. If it was any other sport, he would have retired by now. What other sportsperson in their peak in 2001 is as good as that today? It's just that in golf there's a certain expectation to play through your 40s. But Tiger was more like an athlete than an average golfer so I don't think that applies to him.

It is amazing. Nice post.

But I am always going to take exception to using the word, "Athlete", with Woods. He's just not. I'd pick a thousand other guys on tour to throw a football, hit a baseball, shoot a basketball, etc. He can (could) run fast...so what? I wouldn't choose Woods to do these things for the same reasons I would not have picked Carl Lewis or Abebe Bikila.

Bro, we don't know that he could run fast. The only thing we know is he ran in chamos and boots on a beach in decent times.

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

So Tiger is supposed to be this incredibly mentally tough person, and Feinstein is going on about how much pain he caused him because he had an affair, and apparently he couldn't get over that?

People go through far worse than that every day. Children lose parents unexpectedly at very young ages, parents lose children, etc. You'd think Tiger had the roughest life of anyone who has ever lived. Good grief.

There was also a story recently about a SEAL who died overseas, and there's footage of the ambush he was caught in. I laughed thinking that people believe Tiger would EVER be in the middle of something like that.

So now we believe Feinstein has some special insight into Tiger's psyche from 6 years ago? Good grief is right.

So now we believe Feinstein has some special insight into Tiger's psyche from 6 years ago? Good grief is right.

You think I believe that?

I just think it was a weird/pointless article that piggybacked on the ESPN piece.

I have no idea if any of it has any validity or not. True or not, I don't know why people act like Tiger is the only person who has lost a parent before.

You think I believe that?

I just think it was a weird/pointless article that piggybacked on the ESPN piece.

I have no idea if any of it has any validity or not. True or not, I don't know why people act like Tiger is the only person who has lost a parent before.

It's just media writing their attempts at why Tiger did what he did. Have you ever heard the man himself blame it on losing his father? I know i have not. Just a bunch of hacks theorizing to make money for themselves.

Man I hope Tiger goes on another epic run and shuts this debate down for good

When you say epic run, do you mean in camos and boots?

tigers run is over

Feinstein said with the grin

he is old, tired and slow

there is no way he can win

no one can deny

The tiger has been laid to rest

and when he hangs up the driver

he can only be as good as second best

It's just media writing their attempts at why Tiger did what he did. Have you ever heard there man himself blame it on losing his father? I know i have not. Just a bunch of hacks theorizing to make money for themselves.

Yeah I agree. And none of it adds up. Tiger played dominant golf after 2006 when Earl died.

Man I hope Tiger goes on another epic run and shuts this debate down for good

When you say epic run, do you mean in camos and boots?

Nah, it's similar to Jack in the late 70's though. A lot of chatter about is he done. Then he won two majors in 80. At 40. If Tiger gets fully healthy he will win, often. If not he won't. That simple.

I guess it's that he was SO dominant that I don't think anybody could foresee how far he would fall. It wasn't that long ago that anybody speculating that he would have such a precipitous fall from grace would have been laughed at. People can't help but be intrigued by someone losing it like this. We love the drama of winning but ,maybe even more, we love to see an epic fail.

I guess it's that he was SO dominant that I don't think anybody could foresee how far he would fall. It wasn't that long ago that anybody speculating that he would have such a precipitous fall from grace would have been laughed at. People can't help but be intrigued by someone losing it like this. We love the drama of winning but ,maybe even more, we love to see an epic fail.

He is not the first to fall because of injuries and will certainly not be the last.

Icarus

Son of Daedalus who dared to fly too near the sun on wings of feathers and wax. Daedalus had been imprisoned by King Minos of Crete within the walls of his own invention, the Labyrinth. But the great craftsman's genius would not suffer captivity. He made two pairs of wings by adhering feathers to a wooden frame with wax. Giving one pair to his son, he cautioned him that flying too near the sun would cause the wax to melt. But Icarus became ecstatic with the ability to fly and forgot his father's warning. The feathers came loose and Icarus plunged to his death in the sea.

And then he had green eggs and ham.

As the sun breaks, above the ground,

An old man stands on the hill,

As the ground warms, to the first rays of light

A birdsong shatters the still.

His eyes are ablaze,

See the madman in his gaze.

Fly, on your way, like an eagle,

Fly as high as the sun,

On your way, like an eagle,

Fly and touch the sun.

Now the crowd breaks and a young boy appears

Looks the old man in the eye

As he spreads his wings and shouts at the crowd

In the name of God my father I fly.

His eyes seem so glazed

As he flies on the wings of a dream,

Now he knows his father betrayed

Now his wings turn to ashes to ashes his grave.

Fly as high as the sun,

He is not the first to fall because of injuries and will certainly not be the last.

True but he is one of the best of all time and the intrigue is added by how much was the injuries and how much was related to off the course issues. Add in the short period with the yips on the chips and the just un-tigerlike golf in general. I tend to think a lot has to do with all the swing changes. How many times have we read that he is undergoing a swing change? Let's face it, he didn't win every tournament, but the public pretty much thought he would. And with good reason. We had never seen such a human Tiger up til then.

its like steph curry of today.....nobody plays defense, so its easy to score 30

As the sun breaks, above the ground,

An old man stands on the hill,

As the ground warms, to the first rays of light

A birdsong shatters the still.

His eyes are ablaze,

See the madman in his gaze.

Fly as high as the sun,

On your way, like an eagle,

Fly and touch the sun.

Now the crowd breaks and a young boy appears

Looks the old man in the eye

As he spreads his wings and shouts at the crowd

In the name of God my father I fly.

His eyes seem so glazed

As he flies on the wings of a dream,

Now he knows his father betrayed

Now his wings turn to ashes to ashes his grave.

Fly as high as the sun,

Iron_Maiden.jpg

If it was easy everyone would do it

What, like everyone pipes it 3 bills and change :)

Have a great weekend Shilgs and TS :)

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

All the Best,

RP

In defense of the great 80's and 90's NBA teams (*Disclosure, I only play #33 ProV1X's in honor of Larry Bird) pretty much everyone does score like 30 a game. The NBA has geared itself towards offense and aside from like 5-6 teams the rest of league sucks and the regular season is darn near impossible to watch. They don't allow the types of tough defenses and pretty much every team throws up 30 3-pointers a game.

OK, my NBA rant is done. I do hope Tiger will play in US Open, because the PGA Tour will only be better with Tiger in contention. Those Sundays with him in contention are some of the must watch TV ever.

Have a great weekend!

All the Best,

RP

In defense of the great 80's and 90's NBA teams (*Disclosure, I only play #33 ProV1X's in honor of Larry Bird) pretty much everyone does score like 30 a game. The NBA has geared itself towards offense and aside from like 5-6 teams the rest of league sucks and the regular season is darn near impossible to watch. They don't allow the types of tough defenses and pretty much every team throws up 30 3-pointers a game.

OK, my NBA rant is done. I do hope Tiger will play in US Open, because the PGA Tour will only be better with Tiger in contention. Those Sundays with him in contention are some of the must watch TV ever.

Have a great weekend!

The NBA game has changed no doubt. Guessing that if you asked a fan of the late 50's and early 60's they would say the same from their favorite era to yours. Funny thing. From the numbers I could quickly find:

2015-2016 NBA points leaders

20 scored 20 per game or more. 1 averaged over 30

1985-1986 NBA points leaders

28 averaged 20 per game or more

1 averaged over 30

Also, in 85-86 Bird led the league in 3 point attempts and was almost exactly the same percentage of attempts over the #15 guy as Curry was this year.

Did anyone ever explain what was "new" about this article. Thinking about it a little, I theorize that the author paid for an interview with one of the siblings because that's the only thing that is original in the least. His detailed explanation about the funeral arrangements which I personally didn't need to read and felt a little dirty afterwards are the only parts of this article I have not read elsewhere. The idea that Tiger's compulsion to have more sexual partners in the aftermath of losing his dad isn't exactly game changing. Any 3rd year psych student could theorize that the emotional trauma of losing his dad would have the potential to increase any compulsive behavior.

I don't judge Tiger for any of his behavior regarding his wife and his mistresses. I would have been surprised if he did not behave that way. When you're famous by puberty dating is going to be a little weird. Only in America would everyone feel sorry for his wife who obviously married him for all of his fine characteristics as a human being and had no regard for the millions of dollars. That's why she moved on to their billionaire neighbor who's 22 years older than she, because she believes in true love.

I also don't understand "how far Tiger fell?"

No one comes back from the chipping yips.... but Tiger. No one comes back from back surgery....

Entering into events and missing the cut is what half of tour pros do every week. I don't consider that "falling that far." I'm not much of a Tiger fan, but his performance at the end of last season was getting pretty good. I don't doubt that is why he elected to have the surgeries. He knows he can do it. I wouldn't bet against the GOAT.

BTW, everyone who played or watches basketball knows that the threat of the 3 pointer is what opens up penetration into the paint. It's hard to defend a guy outside and keep him in front of you when he's trying to turn the corner.

The 3 ball threat and dribble penetration are not new concepts. I think it simply took a newer generation of coaches to embrace how far the 3 pointer can take a team.

I subscribe to the NBA's streaming service every winter and love watching pro basketball. Twice a week there's a quality match up. I don't know how anyone can argue that a team like the Warriors mail it in all regular season considering they only lost 9 out of 82 games. Of any season to say the regular season is weak this would not be the one considering the historical significance of them breaking Jordan and the Bull's regular season record.

BTW, everyone who played or watches basketball knows that the threat of the 3 pointer is what opens up penetration into the paint. It's hard to defend a guy outside and keep him in front of you when he's trying to turn the corner.

The 3 ball threat and dribble penetration are not new concepts. I think it simply took a newer generation of coaches to embrace how far the 3 pointer can take a team.

I subscribe to the NBA's streaming service every winter and love watching pro basketball. Twice a week there's a quality match up. I don't know how anyone can argue that a team like the Warriors mail it in all regular season considering they only lost 9 out of 82 games. Of any season to say the regular season is weak this would not be the one considering the historical significance of them breaking Jordan and the Bull's regular season record.

Baskeball, Golf, christ, even football is goin down the sh*****, lol

I long for the days of defensive slugfests, say a late game offensive flurry gives the Warriors a 51-50 squeeker, persimmon woods and REAL irons with rough that actually makes ya think twice before swingin for the fences and a good knock down drag out blood bath with the Stillers pounding the Brownies 9-6.

Nahhhh, society and sports are goin to hell in a hand basket, I can't walk and chew gum at the same time and PC rules.

We're doomed!!!!

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends,

RP

Baskeball, Golf, christ, even football is goin down the sh*****, lol

I long for the days of defensive slugfests, say a late game offensive flurry gives the Warriors a 51-50 squeeker, persimmon woods and REAL irons with rough that actually makes ya think twice before swingin for the fences and a good knock down drag out blood bath with the Stillers pounding the Brownies 9-6.

Nahhhh, society and sports are goin to hell in a hand basket, I can't walk and chew gum at the same time and PC rules.

We're doomed!!!!

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends,

RP

Well I still like defense. In the NFL if the Cardinals or Vikings win 35-0 I like it! :) To me real baseball is the 1-run low scoring game where the aces battle for nine innings. 1-0 or 2-1 is real baseball. But that goes back to the era you grew up in I guess. For me baseball was in the mid to late 60's before they lowered the da** mound.