ping G Ls Fades fades and more fades

Deezz

This is the downside to not having adjustability like other OEM's. Ping needs a G LS SF :D

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the G30 LS. I started playing it at 9 with the tour 65 in stiff. I thought the shaft was a little soft and my dispersion was all over the place. I moved the head to 10 and put in a tour 80 stiff and just started hitting baby draws. I just found lofting up (which should close the face a bit) and adding the tour 80 stiff made all the difference in the world. I also tried the 65 in the 10 and was still all over the place. If you have access to the tour 80, give it a shot.

Jeff

Ping G424 Max (9) - Ping Tour 65 S
Ping G425 2 Hybrid (16) - Aldila Rogue Black Hybrid 95 TS
Ping G425 3 Hybrid (20) - Aldila Rogue Black Hybrid 95 TS
PXG Gen 5 0331P irons 5 - G - Steel fiber PR I110

Square Strike Chipper (black) 45 (Damn chipping yips)
Cleveland CBX 2 54 - Dynamic Gold 115 
Cleveland Smart Sole 4 58 - Dynamic Gold 115 
Scotty X5 duel 33 in / 40g    

9 HC

With all due respect to all, there is a lot of "misinformation" so far in this thread.

1. First of all, hitting a draw with a 9* driver, with a 65 g stiff shaft is a tough task. I don't know if you did a demo or got fitted, but the Tour 65 is a very stout shaft; it is NOT an "upgraded" version of the stock Ping shafts. I play a lot of golf with a lot of very good golfers, and I don't see many that could hit anything but a fade with that combination. Depending on your swing speed and skill level, you might be different, of course.

2. If you move the club to either the little + or the big + settings, you will CLOSE the face by up to 1* (I believe it was up to 1.2* on the G30 drivers, fwiw). While I realize that Ping and everybody else in the industry markets those as changes in loft, I'm firmly in the camp of those who believe that the loft isn't what is changing IF you sole the club at address, as most do. (Watch Tom Wishon's pinned video on adjustable clubs). And even IF the loft is changing, we're talking about a degree or so; that's about 20% of the difference between your 8 and 9 irons; I don't consider that to be especially significant to ball flight, and my results on Trackman bore that out. BUT the face angle change IS real, and matters, so I'd suggest trying the club in either of the plus settings and seeing what you get.

3. If Ping says that the G LS is more "fade biased", I've missed it. The head is designed for players who want a lower spin rate, BUT who also have the ability to launch the ball high and straight without the COG being farther back in the clubhead. If that comes across as "fade biased" it isn't because of the head; it's because of the golfer.

So here's free advice: Before you spend another dime, get on a monitor with somebody who knows what the are doing and figure out which of the G head and shaft combos is going to give you optimal results. It's a great lineup, but as with everything that Ping does, they are hoping that you will take advantage of the available technology to get properly set up.

Personal example: Way back in 2010, I got fitted to a K15 12* with a Javlyn S shaft; great driver for me for 4 years. When the G30's came out, I went to the same guy, who is one of Ping's best fitters, sort of assuming that I'd end up with a 12* SF Tec with the Tour 65 in either an S or, more likely, an R. To my surprise, I got BY FAR the best results with a 10* SF Tec set to the big +, with a stock R flex shaft. (Ironically, the LS head with the Tour 65 shaft gave me nothing but low cuts.) I got the club that the fitting showed was best, and I've never looked back.

The moral of the story? Get on a monitor and figure out what actually works for you.

I have to respectfully say that the most misinformation in this tread was in your post. I was fit by a certified ping fitter and the shop had been since 1978. And is a green grass shop with outdoor hitting bays and using flight scope. So I don't know what else could be done. And to say that the ping stiff 65 is too beastly to turn over is down right hilarious. It's a good shaft. And I almost went with the tour 80x in mine. But the matrix shaft was there and when tried it it gave best results so that's what I went with. I that day I wast turning the ball right to left either. But I was hitting it straight with falls to the right. Real world course translation of that has been 15 yard fades. Payable for s fade player. But I'm not that. It just doesn't suit my minds eye with driver. Because my childhood miss was a huge slice and that reminds me of that. And I've hit a couple with it. Give me a head that turns over easy and my miss 99% of the time with be a slight push right which ends up straight. Very playable. You hit a push with this head it's going OB right.

Ummmmmm,,,,,,,,,,, errrrrrrr,,,,,,,,,,,, so why did you BUY it ??? :dntknw:

I don't play to your level but my preferences are the exact same as yours. I too, as a youngun' was scared by the slice monster. :cheesy:

Tried the Bio Cell Plus ? I've got an 8.5 with a Diamana Ahina. Works for me and can be had on the cheap,,,,,,,,, with any number of shafts (from da Bay).

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

I currently have both the G30 LS and G LS in 9*. I have two shafts - Tour 65s and Tour 80s which I swap back and forth.

I've been gaming the G30 LS for over a year.

Here is what I have learned about the ball flight with both:

-I can hit beautiful towering draws with either. However, I still get bit by an unexpected fade or slice.

-The ball will draw or fade depending on where I make contact on the face. A few mm off center either way determines ball flight for me more than any other factor.

-For me to avoid the fade, I MUST AVOID ANY HEEL SIDE STRIKES - however slight. I recommend checking your impact location first.

-Hit this club slightly high/toe from center and GOOD LORD!!

-The G LS appears to launch a little higher for me. Otherwise, they behave almost identically.

Since I'm not good enough to totally avoid the heel, I picked up a 10* G30 SF Tec. Haven't hit it yet, but will do a direct comparison as soon as I can. I just hope it doesn't spin up too much.

I'll let you know

With all due respect to all, there is a lot of "misinformation" so far in this thread.

1. First of all, hitting a draw with a 9* driver, with a 65 g stiff shaft is a tough task. I don't know if you did a demo or got fitted, but the Tour 65 is a very stout shaft; it is NOT an "upgraded" version of the stock Ping shafts. I play a lot of golf with a lot of very good golfers, and I don't see many that could hit anything but a fade with that combination. Depending on your swing speed and skill level, you might be different, of course.

2. If you move the club to either the little + or the big + settings, you will CLOSE the face by up to 1* (I believe it was up to 1.2* on the G30 drivers, fwiw). While I realize that Ping and everybody else in the industry markets those as changes in loft, I'm firmly in the camp of those who believe that the loft isn't what is changing IF you sole the club at address, as most do. (Watch Tom Wishon's pinned video on adjustable clubs). And even IF the loft is changing, we're talking about a degree or so; that's about 20% of the difference between your 8 and 9 irons; I don't consider that to be especially significant to ball flight, and my results on Trackman bore that out. BUT the face angle change IS real, and matters, so I'd suggest trying the club in either of the plus settings and seeing what you get.

3. If Ping says that the G LS is more "fade biased", I've missed it. The head is designed for players who want a lower spin rate, BUT who also have the ability to launch the ball high and straight without the COG being farther back in the clubhead. If that comes across as "fade biased" it isn't because of the head; it's because of the golfer.

So here's free advice: Before you spend another dime, get on a monitor with somebody who knows what the are doing and figure out which of the G head and shaft combos is going to give you optimal results. It's a great lineup, but as with everything that Ping does, they are hoping that you will take advantage of the available technology to get properly set up.

Personal example: Way back in 2010, I got fitted to a K15 12* with a Javlyn S shaft; great driver for me for 4 years. When the G30's came out, I went to the same guy, who is one of Ping's best fitters, sort of assuming that I'd end up with a 12* SF Tec with the Tour 65 in either an S or, more likely, an R. To my surprise, I got BY FAR the best results with a 10* SF Tec set to the big +, with a stock R flex shaft. (Ironically, the LS head with the Tour 65 shaft gave me nothing but low cuts.) I got the club that the fitting showed was best, and I've never looked back.

The moral of the story? Get on a monitor and figure out what actually works for you.

I have to respectfully say that the most misinformation in this tread was in your post. I was fit by a certified ping fitter and the shop had been since 1978. And is a green grass shop with outdoor hitting bays and using flight scope. So I don't know what else could be done. And to say that the ping stiff 65 is too beastly to turn over is down right hilarious. It's a good shaft. And I almost went with the tour 80x in mine. But the matrix shaft was there and when tried it it gave best results so that's what I went with. I that day I wast turning the ball right to left either. But I was hitting it straight with falls to the right. Real world course translation of that has been 15 yard fades. Payable for s fade player. But I'm not that. It just doesn't suit my minds eye with driver. Because my childhood miss was a huge slice and that reminds me of that. And I've hit a couple with it. Give me a head that turns over easy and my miss 99% of the time with be a slight push right which ends up straight. Very playable. You hit a push with this head it's going OB right.

Ummmmmm,,,,,,,,,,, errrrrrrr,,,,,,,,,,,, so why did you BUY it ??? :dntknw:

I don't play to your level but my preferences are the exact same as yours. I too, as a youngun' was scared by the slice monster. :cheesy:

Tried the Bio Cell Plus ? I've got an 8.5 with a Diamana Ahina. Works for me and can be had on the cheap,,,,,,,,, with any number of shafts (from da Bay).

well now you get the prize for asking the correct question..why? because every "forgivness troll" here and on TV says " get the most forgiving thing you can stand to look at "... so I made myself do it.. I actually like the look and sound better than titleist 915 by a mie... but in hindsight should have just bought an M1 and continued down the TM death spiral of drivers...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I currently have both the G30 LS and G LS in 9*. I have two shafts - Tour 65s and Tour 80s which I swap back and forth.

-I can hit beautiful towering draws with either. However, I still get bit by an unexpected fade or slice.

-The ball will draw or fade depending on where I make contact on the face. A few mm off center either way determines ball flight for me more than any other factor.

-For me to avoid the fade, I MUST AVOID ANY HEEL SIDE STRIKES - however slight. I recommend checking your impact location first.

-The G LS appears to launch a little higher for me. Otherwise, they behave almost identically.

Since I'm not good enough to totally avoid the heel, I picked up a 10* G30 SF Tec. Haven't hit it yet, but will do a direct comparison as soon as I can. I just hope it doesn't spin up too much.

I'll let you know

I think there is some truth to this...that and I believe that ping has a flatter lie angle than TM ..I have an upright swing plane so upright suits me better than flat too

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Well I got to hit both shafts and try a few settings on the head... my swing speed was down considerably today. Being more of a "hitter" than a swinger some days you know your body doesn't want to cooperate.. I typically avg about 103-105 on that monitor. Today I was about 99.

The tfc 419 I wasn't crazy about. I got better distance with it, but it was further offline. I couldn't feel the club head as much - I suppose because it's counter balanced. Just didn't feel as smooth as the tour 65.

Here are the numbers. These are averages over 15 shots. I took out 3 mishits on each - so really 12 shots. Both are with the tour 65.

At the 0 setting:

Club head speed - 98

Ball speed - 142.2

LA - 15.1

Total Spin - 2074

Peak height - 95.6 ft

Carry - 245.5

Total distance -270.6

And turned down 1 degree

Club head speed - 99.7

Ball speed - 144.6

LA - 15.3

Total spin - 2093

Peak height - 99 ft

Carry - 250.7

Total distance - 276.0

I got better numbers at 8 degrees but out of those 15 balls 14 of them were right of the target. Yea 14....

At the 0 setting it was about 60% to the right.

One thing I'll mention is that I have never hit fades that go this long. My longest drive today finished 8 yards to the right.

I'm gonna stick with it for awhile. I've got a vacation week of golf coming at the end of this month so hopefully I'll be able to straighten it out.

The only driver I have ever had a hard time turning for left was the Mizuno MP630. In my experience, it's usually not the club as much as the person swinging it. Consider the fact that some pros play drivers in excess of 5 degrees open to eliminate the left side. This isn't to put anyone down, I just don't believe that many off the rack clubs are that fade biased. I know for me personally, the minute I get focused intentionally trying to draw then ball, it's fade city because I start pulling too hard left and my path gets out of whack. Lastly, the's 450cc heads just rotatell slower through the hitting zone. Grab a driver like a 983e after hitting a G30 for a while and the first few balls will probably hook off the planet.

Had a good hit with the G LS 10.5 Tour 65 shaft yesterday. Set at standard loft, the clubface does feel open at address. I was fanning a few right but overall felt great. The Ping rep then bumped the loft up a degree which does make it feel more standard at address. Less open face. Starting absolutely pumping - nice high launch angle which is unusual for me. Could hit a draw and fade without too much difficulty.

I'll let you know

Went to the range tonight and basically confirmed what I wrote above. I was able to keep my strikes center outward by choking up about a half inch on all three clubs.

I played around with the following shafts in each club:

Tour 80s

Tour 80r

tour 65s

Whiteboard 73x

My favorite combo is my gamer, the g30 LS with Tour 80s. That head has some cotton in it and sounds way better than the others

Anyone can compare 9015D head to G LS as far as fade biased? I know it's ancient but it is still in my bag and I can't get rid of it. I just can't have it go left as I am so hook prone.

don't know for sure...but I cant imagine a person who could ever have a case of the "lefts " with the G LS

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

One thing I also tried with the G...when loft was on the standard setting, it did sit a bit open for me. So I didn't ground the clubhead at address and it totally changes the look. It did help, but I don't really like doing that.

As mentioned above, I went from 10.5 to 11.5 and the clubface did look more square at address.

To me the G LS sits a bit open, and opens more as you lower the loft. The G30 LS sat waaayyy open, so this one isn't too bad. As others have suggested, the normal G would be easier to keep straight.

Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
4 Hybrid...
Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
Ping Ketsch Mid 

The LS Tec is 57* lie angle, the Standard G is 58*. The flatter lie angle of the LS Tec inherently makes it more 'fade biased" than the G. Fade biased is a relative term though, but flatter lie angle is going to fade more from a science standpoint, all other things equal. It may not be that noticable, but just for informational purposes, the LS Tec is 1* flatter.

And GolfWRXs own review shows the G LS Tec model as having a 1* open face. http://www.golfwrx.com/344600/review-ping-g-g-ls-tec-and-g-sf-tec-drivers/

From the GolfWRx review:

-Face angle is slightly open (1 degree), and lie angle is 1-degree flatter than the G.

-Heavier, D4 swing weight also creates more fade bias. Head weight is 207.5 grams.

Ping G430 LST 9*, Ka’ili White 60

TM Qi10 15*, Ventus TR Blue 60
Ping G430 19* hybrid, Kai’li White 80
Callaway Apex 21 4-AW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
Titleist SM9 52* F, Titleist SM10 58* D

Cameron Phantom X 11, 2021
Titleist ProV1

One thing I'll mention is that I have never hit fades that go this long. My longest drive today finished 8 yards to the right.

This! I love my driver being fade bias. I love high, long, flat ball flight with a baby fade. It is so controllable and accurate and soooo long.

I love my G30 LS because it has allowed me to have a one way miss (unless I really make a bad swing and double cross).

Don't fall for the trap that you must draw the ball!

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

Well I got to hit both shafts and try a few settings on the head... my swing speed was down considerably today. Being more of a "hitter" than a swinger some days you know your body doesn't want to cooperate.. I typically avg about 103-105 on that monitor. Today I was about 99.

The tfc 419 I wasn't crazy about. I got better distance with it, but it was further offline. I couldn't feel the club head as much - I suppose because it's counter balanced. Just didn't feel as smooth as the tour 65.

Here are the numbers. These are averages over 15 shots. I took out 3 mishits on each - so really 12 shots. Both are with the tour 65.

At the 0 setting:

Club head speed - 98

Ball speed - 142.2

LA - 15.1

Total Spin - 2074

Peak height - 95.6 ft

Carry - 245.5

Total distance -270.6

And turned down 1 degree

Club head speed - 99.7

Ball speed - 144.6

LA - 15.3

Total spin - 2093

Peak height - 99 ft

Carry - 250.7

Total distance - 276.0

I got better numbers at 8 degrees but out of those 15 balls 14 of them were right of the target. Yea 14....

At the 0 setting it was about 60% to the right.

I'm gonna stick with it for awhile. I've got a vacation week of golf coming at the end of this month so hopefully I'll be able to straighten it out.

Amazing numbers here from my point of view. I have mine set at 11.5* but I do have a low launch/low spin shaft. I can't hit anything but mid flight bullets at 9.6*. This combo is the lowest that I have ever tried. Glad you found your best setting. keep us informed. I may have the wrong shaft for this head. I will say that when I catch the center my ball flight is a slight draw that is as long as I have ever hit. My buddies where out driving me with their M1 combos but I am back with them now with this setup

I am still very interested in trying a regular G version. My shaft is a low spin/low launch veylix Rome that may be better suited to a higher spinning head. At times I still feel like this combo just falls out of the air to soon on an off center strike.

I don't know what your SS is (forgive me if you posted it previously) but unless it's quite high (105+ ?) what do you expect ? You've got a low spin low launch shaft on a low spin head.

Too little spin is as bad as too much spin. You need spin to keep the ball in the air (as you yourself allude to).

Got a guy in my old club that has an old all carbon Callaway driver. Hits really hard low bullets/knuckleballs. Runs forever,,,,,,, but get him on a lush course and he's history.

I always hit a high spinning ball (4K+). Drove me crazy. Until,,,,,, a salesman/teacher noted that I swayed forward causing a negative angle of attack. Started keeping my head back and voila, spin came right down. Not to mention I began hitting the center of the face more consistently and hitting it more accurately.

Having said that I still probably spun it a bit too much (3K). So I currently have a low spin head with a low spin shaft on a somewhat low spin head. But it does the trick quite nicely.

Tried the M2 yesterday. LM said spin was about 1,800-2,000. Too low for my SS (about 93-94). Lofted up a bit and started getting about 2,300-2,400 and hitting it very straight,,,,,,,, with a regular shaft (been hitting stiff forever). Interesting.

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

After playing the G30 LS 9* for all of 2015, I switched to the M1.

I constantly struggled with the 'rights' with the G30 LS and finally gave up the fight and moved on to the M1.

Now, my draw is back with the M1 and I'm longer and more consistant.

That's very interesting to me. I bought an M1 when it came out and couldn't hit a draw at all with it. Loved it otherwise. In hindsight, I believe the shaft was too long for me.

Glad I found this thread as I've had similar issues with my Ping G w/ Tour 65 shaft turning a nice penetrating fade into a balooning slice. Was staring to regret letting the "fitter" talk me out of ordering the LS but sounds like that could compound my issue.

Never had a ping driver so it's been a mental battle and struggle figuring out if it's the Indian or the arrow with this new purchase. Stuck several shafts I have on hand in it and best so far to bring things into play is Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x. Forgiveness, look, and feel is awesome so I really want this one to stick over other drivers I've had in the past 2 years.

Might be counterintuitive to what I want in launch/spin, but from the thread comments, I might try and moving from little - to the + loft setting and see if that closes the face a bit.

So I got 18 holes in with the G Ls. It's 9 degrees with tour 65 stiff. I typically hit a draw and my miss is a hook. All this head wanted to do was fade. After a few drives I really concentrated and just tried to make the ball go left but still a fade. I was quite surprised at how high it launched as well.

So my question is will turning the loft down to 8 help ? I thought I'd read that lofting down actually opens the face angle though?

OP While I have read some responses and I fear the flaming here we go......

The adjustable sleeve is a tricky. Here is why

1) Lofting up, will in essence move the shaft to a more upright lie closing the face.

2) Lofting down will in essence move the shaft to a more flat lie opening the face

This applies if you sole the club. So if you sole the club, and lower the loft the face angle opens but the LOFT stays the same.

The actual loft by the sleeve applies if you Square the face at impact. So the way to make the loft effective is to square the face at address and do not sole the club.

Here is a great thread about the Sleeve adapters.

http://www.golfwrx.c...nks-tom-wishon/

OK now moving on to the Ping G LS.

1) its 45.75 inches long stock so I dont know your specs, but the longer club can be messing with your release and causing the slices *Edit* Reading through this thread I am seeing more and more struggles with a slice, Do you all know that it is 45.75 inches long STOCK? Are you guys playing stock length or cutting the shafts? Do you realize that this might be a reason? Curious? Why do people slice more with longer clubs than their wedges, because the shafts are too long so they have to pull left to flatten the swing causing the over the top outside to in swing to keep balance.... I bet if we put a 44 or 43" shaft in the G LS people would not have issues turning this club over to hit a draw.

2) The G LS has a Swing weight of D4, Not sure what you came from But some drivers are D2 some are D6 so the feeling may feel different on the release.

So possible the club just doesnt quite work for you , hit the monitor and check your specs. This might be where its all over the place.

GL OP!

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles - Incoming Sub70 659CB!!!!!!!
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"