$37.28 to PARK at the Players Championship on Saturday

DaddySwagMaster

Looked into alternatives, and the only thing I could come up with is parking at the South Beach Regional Shopping Center (4.4 miles away) and using Uber. Disclaimer - I've never used Uber before, and they have different pricing levels, but the base rate was supposedly $7-10 using their site calculator.

Back to Alternatives. Little known local solutions. One that I use every year. Go to the Marriott parking lot, valet park, $35 this year. Go through the hotel, past the pool and take the walking path to the entrance by the 13th green. Much shorter walk, no gravel parking lot to deal with. Thursday and Friday, should be no problem getting a spot. Saturday and Sunday a little more problematic, probably have to get there fairly early.

The other solution, that we used when we got there late morning on Saturday and the Marriott parking lot was full. Go to Mulligans across the street in the Sawgrass Village shopping center. Have lunch and a beer. Get a parking pass to put on your dashboard and leave your car there. Walk to the Marriott across the street and take the aforementioned walking path to the 13th tee entrance. I think it was either free or $10 to park there, plus your lunch.

Finally. Bring your bicycle. Park at South Beach Shopping Center 4.4 miles away. Ride your bike and leave in the secured bicycle parking lot near the Clubhouse. Sidewalks most of the way. Total cost--donation of $5 to Charity running the program.

Secured bicycle parking lot? How cool is that? I'm probably too lazy to use it, but I love it.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things jump out to me. One has been discussed ad nauseum, but I am surprised no one has mentioned the second...(D)id you really think the COMMISSIONER OF A MAJOR SPORTS LEAGUE was going to respond to a letter about parking?

I implied as much in an earlier post, noting that it's no surprise the Commissioner of the PGA doesn't devote a portion of each day to answering complaint letters. As you say, there are logical channels to express dissatisfaction. Last year after attending the PGA Championship, I emailed some constructive comments to the organizing committee and a PGA officer (Secretary Suzy Whaley). I received prompt replies acknowledging my input. My impression, though, is that mere acknowledgment and thanks wouldn't satisfy the OP, iykwim.

If the OP's letter is like the tone of his posts I am sure it would be ignored.

"Dear Mr. Finchem, Stop being a greedy SOB. Please remove your head from you bottom and give parking away for free for my wife and I. Well you are at a 60% discount for military is a joke and you should have a discount for people who drive to tournaments and stay in hotels..."

I was having lunch with local politician recently and somehow we got on the topic of the letter he receives, he joked that it is not very effective to spend the first half of the letter insulting him and the second half trying to convince him to do something.

Looked into alternatives, and the only thing I could come up with is parking at the South Beach Regional Shopping Center (4.4 miles away) and using Uber. Disclaimer - I've never used Uber before, and they have different pricing levels, but the base rate was supposedly $7-10 using their site calculator.

Back to Alternatives. Little known local solutions. One that I use every year. Go to the Marriott parking lot, valet park, $35 this year. Go through the hotel, past the pool and take the walking path to the entrance by the 13th green. Much shorter walk, no gravel parking lot to deal with. Thursday and Friday, should be no problem getting a spot. Saturday and Sunday a little more problematic, probably have to get there fairly early.

The other solution, that we used when we got there late morning on Saturday and the Marriott parking lot was full. Go to Mulligans across the street in the Sawgrass Village shopping center. Have lunch and a beer. Get a parking pass to put on your dashboard and leave your car there. Walk to the Marriott across the street and take the aforementioned walking path to the 13th tee entrance. I think it was either free or $10 to park there, plus your lunch.

Finally. Bring your bicycle. Park at South Beach Shopping Center 4.4 miles away. Ride your bike and leave in the secured bicycle parking lot near the Clubhouse. Sidewalks most of the way. Total cost--donation of $5 to Charity running the program.

Actually, today I went to my fourth option. Left the condo at 12:30. Stopped at bank to deposit checks, stopped at vet to pick up dog food and then stopped at favorite ticket broker who stations himself every year in front of Dan's Seafood Market on A1A. Managed to get a premium Benefactors ticket AND a clubhouse parking pass for $75 total. A $225 list price value. Parking lot is 100 yds from the gate by the practice putting green by the first tee. Easy walk. Made it to the course by 1:05. Going to try the same approach tomorrow, but a bit earlier.

Tim Finchem, you are one greedy, SOB! I would park somewhere off site and walk, but I'm going with my wife, and it's like 5 miles to the nearest ANYTHING from this golf course.

This may very well be my last PGA Tour event I go to because of this. Especially when you consider that The Masters has free parking for everyone, this is just pure, unadulterated GREED!!!

You sound like a total cheap a** pissing and moaning about $37 parking to a once a year event. You must be about 18 years old. You probably invite people to dinner then say "split checks!" when the bill comes.

Complains about $37 parking at Players with $25 tickets. Boasts about free parking at Masters, with $1500+ ticket prices.

Since I live over 2 hours away, that thought crossed my mind immediately. I'm getting military tickets for $25 each, so I do find it kind of insane that parking is more than a ticket is.

And if I could find two other people to carpool with, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Most people in Tallahassee don't have the passion and love for the game of golf that I do.

Granted, the more I read responses like this to my posts, the less and less I feel that passion and love for the game of golf.

And I find it laughable that someone was actually stupid enough to pay upwards of $50 for parking at an event. I wouldn't even pay that much for a ticket to something, so some of you who seem to have an unlimited budget for sporting events, just keep in mind that not everyone here makes 6 figures a year or more. Heck, some of us are just able to afford the $50 a month I get for a membership at an out of county golf course.

In short, the general economics of the GolfWRKs crowd is slightly skewed and has lost touch with reality.

So you got a ticket for the event at almost 60% off of face value - a weekend ticket no less - and you're complaining about the cost of parking?

I can see why you're having trouble finding people to go with you.

If a $37 purchase to attend a professional sporting event really bothers you that much, then you're not really THAT interested in going, to be honest with you. Just watch it on TV for free then. Or do what Im going to do....DVR it and actually go PLAY golf somewhere.

Fact of the matter is that as a fan you shouldnt have to pay close to $40 to park for ANY event. The game of Golf in itself is already too expensive, at the very least we can keep the extra costs outside of the actual game to a minimum dont you think?

Well if it sold out....the only thing you are gonna do by lowering the price is make it sell out faster. Parking is convenient and is generally too cheap, which is why it's often hard to find.

Augusta can do what they do - free parking and what like 2 commercials per hour? because they are Augusta. No one else is Augusta.

I think I speak for most people here when I say....quit yer b*tchin'. Yes - companies are greedy. Yes - the PGA's status as a non-profit is questionable at best. Pay or don't go - this is America.

Wait a second, OP I have a solution to your problem. You can't afford parking, but other people are paying $10 to take a bumpy worn down bus to the event from a nearby hotel. Parking is free if you have four people. Solution is pretty simple, slip on by the hotel with your wife, talk to a few people in line and let them know that you will drive them there and back for $10. They get to be in a nice air conditioned car and can even select the radio station to listen to. Maybe provide a bottle of water for them. Now you have 4 people so you park for free and use the $20 you just made to buy yourself a nice frosty brew.

Oh and stop moaning about people calling you names when they never met you when you call Finchem names without ever meeting him. Maybe this year you can write him a letter saying thanks for the free parking and cold beer.

You really think Goldstein is going to give out 4 bottles of water for free?? That would cost him $3.16 cents. GREED!!!!!!!!!

How about Uber or Lyft and get dropped off and picked up? Wow $37 is crazy.

You own $500 drivers $1,000 irons, $300 woods, a $300 putter and buy $50 boxes of balls that you are just going to launch into a creek. But $37 for parking at a one time event is "crazy"??

Many people here and elsewhere do not ever pay the prices for golf equipment that you mentioned in your post. If those are the prices you pay for golf equipment perhaps you need to find others places to buy golf equipment from to get better deals.

Parking is sold out online for today

they need to raise their prices.

Correct, if parking is sold out then perhaps their prices may be too low.

I've never been to The Players, but a look at the event website makes it clear that parking capacity at this event is a bit of an issue. They are rewarding car poolers with free parking, so that seems pretty darn reasonable. There also are numerous shuttle and other options to get to the site without having to take your car.

As for complaining about pricing to any sporting event, then perhaps more people should start voting with their wallets and not go. I don't mean that to come across as snarky, but to be frank some sporting event pricing has gotten out of hand yet people keep paying all the while complaining. The only way to send a message to organizers is to vote with your wallet and not give them your hard-earned money. However in the case of The Players, it appears they aren't trying to extort your money, but encourage more efficient use of limited parking.

So don't go?

GOLFWRX is getting full of people posting crap instead of participating in the forum. The OP has a legitimate gripe...32 bucks and really poor parking facilities are nothing but a money grab. Nothing screams stupid more than posting *so don't go".

Agreed. Not sure why the animosity against the OP for a legit gripe.

Tell everyone what the Memorial or Firestone cost and with similar fields and much better viewing.

Everything is in the stratosphere today. Winner gets $1 million plus, Ken Duke's missed putt cost him $425,000, according to the announcer. When does it stop? When the US ends up in hyper inflation like Germany before Hitler was elected.

A loaf of bread will cost $1 million and a bargain.

Our "global" economy is not for the working stiff. Why is there so much discord and hostility generated by the masses? 99 percent pay for the 1 percent's folly..

I'm 63, have never been to a PGA or USGA event. I haven't been to a pro baseball game since very good behind third base dugout tickets were $3.75, thirty years ago. I can truthfully say I could afford to attend a few events, but I really don't want to. Watching it on TV eliminates the crowds, hassle, and high cost.

If you can afford and wish to attend these events, good for you. With the economy as it is, $37.28 will be a bargain in the near future.

Everything is in the stratosphere today. Winner gets $1 million plus, Ken Duke's missed putt cost him $425,000, according to the announcer. When does it stop? When the US ends up in hyper inflation like Germany before Hitler was elected.

A loaf of bread will cost $1 million and a bargain.

Our "global" economy is not for the working stiff. Why is there so much discord and hostility generated by the masses? 99 percent pay for the 1 percent's folly..

I'm 63, have never been to a PGA or USGA event. I haven't been to a pro baseball game since very good behind third base dugout tickets were $3.75, thirty years ago. I can truthfully say I could afford to attend a few events, but I really don't want to. Watching it on TV eliminates the crowds, hassle, and high cost.

If you can afford and wish to attend these events, good for you. With the economy as it is, $37.28 will be a bargain in the near future.

Keep in mind if you live in the USA you are most likely in the 1% worldwide, so keep "living it up"!

Professional sporting events are gradually phasing out the working middle class from attending on any kind of regular basis. As player salaries continue to increase at such an asinine level, so too does the cost to attend. Pro sports are now a once-in-a-while special occasion thing for most people.

The thing that I don't get is when people say they don't have a problem with an athlete making $20 mil a year but then they complain about the cost to attend a game. Well where do you think that $20 mil is coming from? It doesn't just fall from the sky. If you don't have a problem with them making that much money, then you can't have a problem paying $30 to park and $12 to buy a hot dog. (And yes, owners are an even bigger problem than player salaries).

I live 20 minutes from where an NHL team plays and I'm a huge hockey fan. If I could afford it, I would probably go to 20+ home games every year. But considering the cost of one game for my wife and I is literally hundreds of dollars for two tickets and parking, we typically go to one game a year and even then we have to tread lightly.

The Cubs signed Jason Heyward for $184 million in the off-season. He's currently hitting .236 with zero homeruns and a whopping 13 RBIs in 33 games. But enjoy your $13 domestic beer. Welcome to pro sports in the 21st century.

Professional sporting events are gradually phasing out the working middle class from attending on any kind of regular basis. As player salaries continue to increase at such an asinine level, so too does the cost to attend. Pro sports are now a once-in-a-while special occasion thing for most people.

The thing that I don't get is when people say they don't have a problem with an athlete making $20 mil a year but then they complain about the cost to attend a game. Well where do you think that $20 mil is coming from? It doesn't just fall from the sky. If you don't have a problem with them making that much money, then you can't have a problem paying $30 to park and $12 to buy a hot dog. (And yes, owners are an even bigger problem than player salaries).

I live 20 minutes from where an NHL team plays and I'm a huge hockey fan. If I could afford it, I would probably go to 20+ home games every year. But considering the cost of one game for my wife and I is literally hundreds of dollars for two tickets and parking, we typically go to one game a year and even then we have to tread lightly.

The Cubs signed Jason Heyward for $184 million in the off-season. He's currently hitting .236 with zero homeruns and a whopping 13 RBIs in 33 games. But enjoy your $13 domestic beer. Welcome to pro sports in the 21st century.

Not always and not really. There teams in every N. American Professional League that are money losers, with he owners writing the cheques to keep them going. It is a business like any other and the owner takes on the risks and rewards.

Not always and not really. There teams in every N. American Professional League that are money losers, with he owners writing the cheques to keep them going. It is a business like any other and the owner takes on the risks and rewards.

Certainly. And one of the factors in losing money is having poor attendance throughout the season. Low attendance has the direct effect of decreased revenue from tickets, concessions and merchandise. It also brings a more indirect effect with a decreased value of sponsorship and advertising. Look at the attendance figures of the teams that are losing money. I'll bet you'll find a correlation between the two. Why does attendance drop? Because too many fans decided that the product on the field wasn't worth the cost of admission so they stayed home and kept their money. As an owner, you have to toe the line between paying high salaries for the best players to put a winning product on the field while at the same time making the games affordable enough to put butts in the seats. When one of those slides too far one way, the other suffers.

Certainly. And one of the factors in losing money is having poor attendance throughout the season. Low attendance has the direct effect of decreased revenue from tickets, concessions and merchandise. It also brings a more indirect effect with a decreased value of sponsorship and advertising. Look at the attendance figures of the teams that are losing money. I'll bet you'll find a correlation between the two. Why does attendance drop? Because too many fans decided that the product on the field wasn't worth the cost of admission so they stayed home and kept their money. As an owner, you have to toe the line between paying high salaries for the best players to put a winning product on the field while at the same time making the games affordable enough to put butts in the seats. When one of those slides too far one way, the other suffers.

Yes we agree 100%. I have misread you statement about "Owners being a bigger problem than player salaries". I thought you were saying how much the owners make may be the problem, but I thin you are saying, what they are willing to pay is the problem.

Trick is unless there is collusion as you pointed out they have to pay competitive salaries.

Here is another way to look things - what does the average tour professional make? My guess is around $10K a year or less. Sure the top 800 guys make great money, but the bottom 80,000+ guys make virtually nothing. As far as careers go you would be better off working a Mcdonalds and working your way up into management. Same goes for all professional sports. It is a huge risk to dedicate your time to being professional athlete, so I have no issue if there is a huge reward if you do "make it".

The problem I have with the last few posts is that in the 3 major sports, the NFL MLB and NBA-sot certain on the NHL, ticket and concession prices have little to nothing to do with player salaries. Or vice versa. The LA Dodgers local tv contract is over $250 million a year. They have their salary and most other expenses covered by tv money alone after adding in national tv and media income. The ticket and concession prices are market based to give ownership the most bang for the buck. Same with the Cubs and certainly the same with the NFL. The NBA player salaries are about to explode because of a new tv deal. It will not be ticket prices paying for the salaries but do not expect ticket prices to come down.

The NHL is more of a niche sport that has less tv money coming in so ticket prices probably do go somewhat to the players.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

The problem I have with the last few posts is that in the 3 major sports, the NFL MLB and NBA-sot certain on the NHL, ticket and concession prices have little to nothing to do with player salaries. Or vice versa. The LA Dodgers local tv contract is over $250 million a year. They have their salary and most other expenses covered by tv money alone after adding in national tv and media income. The ticket and concession prices are market based to give ownership the most bang for the buck. Same with the Cubs and certainly the same with the NFL. The NBA player salaries are about to explode because of a new tv deal. It will not be ticket prices paying for the salaries but do not expect ticket prices to come down.

The NHL is more of a niche sport that has less tv money coming in so ticket prices probably do go somewhat to the players.

This 200%. At least for the NFL, TV contracts and revenue sharing policies reduce gate receipts and concessions to a fraction of ownership economics. All of a sudden, owning a small-market club looks pretty darn good!

As others have related (ad nauseam) the market bears these prices for parking/admission/concessions because they fall at the intersection of current supply and demand.

This 200%. At least for the NFL, TV contracts and revenue sharing policies reduce gate receipts and concessions to a fraction of ownership economics. All of a sudden, owning a small-market club looks pretty darn good!

As others have related (ad nauseam) the market bears these prices for parking/admission/concessions because they fall at the intersection of current supply and demand.

And guess what?? We are on a golf forum! :) I would be willing to wager the golf industry is the same. Club prices are set more on what the market will bear to maximize profit than the actual cost and desirable profit margin would demand. Rather than blaming big endorsement deals for the price of clubs we really should blame ourselves. But a large majority wants the new and shiny and pays the prices set by the manufacturers. ( I certainly resemble that remark :( )

Aren't the Dodgers games pretty much blacked out in LA? I know at one point they had a messy tv deal that left most LA homes with no access to the games. Not sure if that ever got resolved or if its still the case(?).

You're probably right that gate revenue probably factors very little into player salaries. But the number of people coming through that gate does have an effect on the value of advertising and sponsors. For example, a team that averages 5,000 fans per game can't get away with charging X amount for an in-game advertisement when the other team in town averages 20,000 fans per game and charges the same amount for the same ad. If you're a business and you have X amount to invest in a sponsorship, do you go with the one that will reach 5,000 fans per game or the one that will reach 20,000 fans per game at the same price? And ad revenue factors into salaries of players and other team employees. So there's sort of a trickle down effect that happens when attendance dwindles.

Is it fair to say then that the revenue from all those $40 parking and $13 beers just goes largely into the pockets of the owners then? Yes, there are massive utility costs to keep a stadium operating as well as heavy maintenance costs and probably tons of other things that we don't even think of. But at the end of the day, someone is getting very rich on one end while thousands of fans are getting shafted on the other end.

It is one thing that I think is great about golf. Endorsement money aside, the players must perform well for their on-course earnings. No guaranteed millions for under-performing.

Aren't the Dodgers games pretty much blacked out in LA? I know at one point they had a messy tv deal that left most LA homes with no access to the games. Not sure if that ever got resolved or if its still the case(?).

You're probably right that gate revenue probably factors very little into player salaries. But the number of people coming through that gate does have an effect on the value of advertising and sponsors. For example, a team that averages 5,000 fans per game can't get away with charging X amount for an in-game advertisement when the other team in town averages 20,000 fans per game and charges the same amount for the same ad. If you're a business and you have X amount to invest in a sponsorship, do you go with the one that will reach 5,000 fans per game or the one that will reach 20,000 fans per game at the same price? And ad revenue factors into salaries of players and other team employees. So there's sort of a trickle down effect that happens when attendance dwindles.

Is it fair to say then that the revenue from all those $40 parking and $13 beers just goes largely into the pockets of the owners then? Yes, there are massive utility costs to keep a stadium operating as well as heavy maintenance costs and probably tons of other things that we don't even think of. But at the end of the day, someone is getting very rich on one end while thousands of fans are getting shafted on the other end.

It is one thing that I think is great about golf. Endorsement money aside, the players must perform well for their on-course earnings. No guaranteed millions for under-performing.

It depends more on the tv ratings than the gate revenues as to what the broadcasters will pay. As I previously mentioned the NBA cap is about to go up in a huge way in the next two years. IIRC this year the cap was about $60m, next year $90m and the following year $110m. It is not because of gate receipts.

It depends more on the tv ratings than the gate revenues as to what the broadcasters will pay. As I previously mentioned the NBA cap is about to go up in a huge way in the next two years. IIRC this year the cap was about $60m, next year $90m and the following year $110m. It is not because of gate receipts.

I get what you're saying and agree that TV money is certainly the biggest revenue stream. But if players weren't making such high salaries, you wouldn't have to dedicate such a high percentage of that TV money to paying salaries. You could then use the remaining surplus to help offset the cost of attending games for fans. In other words, if you have a TV deal for $200 mil and $180 mil of that goes toward player salaries, you need to charge X amount for tickets, beer and so forth to cover operating costs such as employee wages, utilities, maintenance, etc. But if you only needed $140 mil to pay player salaries, you would have an additional $40 mil to help cover the operating costs and take some of the burden off the fans. (I'm not naive enough to think this will ever happen).

However we dissect it, I think we can all agree that it's not a lot of fun shelling out the kind of money that is required to attend many of the professional sporting events these days. Whether it's player salaries or owners or whatever to blame, it sucks.

And you're spot on about the similarities with the golf industry. As long as people spend $500 for a new driver every year, they will keep rolling out $500 drivers every year. This does bring an upside though --- the cost of new clubs plummets pretty quickly as soon as the new ones are out. My buddy paid around $450 for the R15 last year. I bought a brand new one a few weeks ago for $160. I like to remind him of that every time we play :taunt: