Monte - Drive for dough

Millwrong

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found some drills that seemed to hit home in part 2. Up and In is a big feeling that I have been needing to hone in, as I can get steep with clubs that flatten my swing plane (driver/ 3 wood). Couple that up & in feel with the "shoulder separation" drill/humerus forward and I was able to feel a noticeable difference in my follow through. Hopefully clubhead speed as well!

Been practicing in my backyard again today, working on a few feelings monte advocates. The humerus feeling didn't work, quite armsy for me.

What really caught on was the feeling of separating the shoulder. Left shoulder under chin, right shoulder under the chin.

I tried working on a sequence of bump, dump and shoulder separation. The bump and dump are sort of one move for me, I can't yet figure out how to really do the bump before the dump. Need to check out via video what I'm really doing.

But then it is a feeling of dumping the elbows towards the navel and then separating the shoulder as quickly as I can.

Good news is that I can really rip it and still hit the ball very well, indicates a good sequence?

But I have a question. What about lifting the left heel? Tried that to advocate the bump a little more and immediately my swing speed was up by 10%. Like going from 94-98 to 102-106 with the driver. Highest speed was 117 when I really fired aggressively, but resulted in a massive slice..

I've had too many bad shots do I decided not to do that for a start until I got the sequence right and can do it blindly.

But what about that in general? Good idea for a big fellow like me?

Is it elbow or elbows to the naval?

I've been able to hit the range a few times and out to the course a few times with my new swing. I'm steadily making progress. Things are starting to feel a bit more natural. My regular playing partner has really noticed. He said my swing looks more fluid, but I'm hitting the ball farther. I still have a piercing (read:low) trajectory that I would like to change. However, I'm getting more distance. I'm assuming an increase in SS is creating this. I now have short irons in my hand when I used to have long irons. Or long irons when I used to have hybrids. Due to this, I shot my best round of 9 over (including a 4 putt... DOH!). It's a par 67, so it's not especially hard. But it's my best score to date!

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

I'm having trouble trying to figure out where to start. There is so much info in the video that I'm kind of paralyzed so I keep doing nothing. I don't really have a regular miss so it all sounds like me when he says "for those who ____ the ball", do this.

Awesome video work though. Tons of info for the price.

I was feeling the same way but decided to work on two things that kind of work as one for me. Up and in, which really helps me with getting my right hip deep. I had a bad habit of starting up and out for years and that led to bad hip work.

And for some reason both of these things have helped me get left on the DS. They all just kind of work well as a team for me. So one swing thought, up and in, triggers the other good stuff. I have a clear mind and I'm striking the ball really well.

I'm having trouble trying to figure out where to start. There is so much info in the video that I'm kind of paralyzed so I keep doing nothing. I don't really have a regular miss so it all sounds like me when he says "for those who ____ the ball", do this.

Awesome video work though. Tons of info for the price.

Have you tried an online lesson?

I haven't. I've struggled a lot with in-person lessons so I'm on the fence about online lessons (though I know many have had success with them). I've always had pretty much the same swing and always been someone who shoots 75 one day and 85 the next, and I've had tons of lessons. I think I'm just a bad student for some reason because I just can't seem to make any real progress no matter who I take a lesson from. It isn't from lack of practice either. I've worked harder on my game the last 2.5 years than I ever have in my life and I've actually gotten quite a bit worse.

I actually feel sorry for my instructors, lol.

I suppose I should just quit all the practicing and just accept that this is my game and shoot 85, but it's really hard for me to do that.

I haven't. I've struggled a lot with in-person lessons so I'm on the fence about online lessons (though I know many have had success with them). I've always had pretty much the same swing and always been someone who shoots 75 one day and 85 the next, and I've had tons of lessons. I think I'm just a bad student for some reason because I just can't seem to make any real progress no matter who I take a lesson from. It isn't from lack of practice either. I've worked harder on my game the last 2.5 years than I ever have in my life and I've actually gotten quite a bit worse.

I suppose I should just quit all the practicing and just accept that this is my game and shoot 85, but it's really hard for me to do that.

You guys don't understand how good this guy Monte is.... What have you got to lose other than a few bucks... Video a couple swings, send it in to Monte... He'll really put you on a good path...

I did a group clinic and it absolutely changed my outlook on the swing, the game, and improvement in general... A few guys I know have done the on line lesson route and were so concerned about 5 different parts of the swing.... Monte narrows it down and provides simplicity...

Give an online lesson a try. If you are practicing more and getting worse, you probably aren't working on the right stuff.

You aren't beyond help and you are underestimating montes ability to narrower in on your issue. ? The videos are great. But they become better once you understand the issues in your own swing

Give an online lesson a try. If you are practicing more and getting worse, you probably aren't working on the right stuff.

You aren't beyond help and you are underestimating montes ability to narrower in on your issue. ? The videos are great. But they become better once you understand the issues in your own swing

This X 10.

Will focus you on what your swing needs.

The videos are still great as stand alone material. It helped that I had worked with Monte, but the new one, for example, I just keep reviewing and trying to "get" more of it because there is a lot of information in there.

Thanks for the advice guys. This is such a great place.

It can be. :)

I'd start where we all start our golf swing: the setup. I actually screen capped the DTL and face on setup recommendations so I can refer back to them easily (posted in this thread a few pages back).

Lock that in, then move on to one (max two) ideas that you want to try to implement.

Good luck!

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

While at the range today I was working on 3 downswing intents. Left arm off chest, right shoulder to ball, and right elbow in. Left arm off chest and right elbow in produced straight ball flights. Right shoulder to ball produced a baby fade, it was maybe 5 yards. I didn't change anything other than the intent. I wonder why this is? Any guesses? I'm not complaining, it's a very useful ball flight at my course.

What I'm having trouble with is exactly what Monte is saying. Once you start the downswing, it is gone, no chance to interact.

On the other hand, we're supposed to hit really hard once we "dumped" and connected the arms to the body turn.

Too many focus points for me right now, i found i can only handle one at a time and the bad thing is that if i have 5 points i want to work on i do one, shoot badly and then concentrate on the 4 i left behind, shoot badly, etc...

Like i can't do the bump when i'm concentrating on dumping the arms, and it is giving me a great variety of shots sprayed all over the course.

I have to say i made some progress with Monte's teachings and probably it is just a case of ingraining focus #1, hit a thousand balls, focus on #2, hit a thousand balls, etc...

The one thing i found that really works is to take the backswing like Monte suggests, and then feel my lower body starting to rotate real hard while the hands are still where i placed them. The speed is tremendous, and like Monte also suggests the better the hip turn, the better the accuracy.

What I'm having trouble with is exactly what Monte is saying. Once you start the downswing, it is gone, no chance to interact.

On the other hand, we're supposed to hit really hard once we "dumped" and connected the arms to the body turn.

Too many focus points for me right now, i found i can only handle one at a time and the bad thing is that if i have 5 points i want to work on i do one, shoot badly and then concentrate on the 4 i left behind, shoot badly, etc...

Like i can't do the bump when i'm concentrating on dumping the arms, and it is giving me a great variety of shots sprayed all over the course.

I have to say i made some progress with Monte's teachings and probably it is just a case of ingraining focus #1, hit a thousand balls, focus on #2, hit a thousand balls, etc...

The one thing i found that really works is to take the backswing like Monte suggests, and then feel my lower body starting to rotate real hard while the hands are still where i placed them. The speed is tremendous, and like Monte also suggests the better the hip turn, the better the accuracy.

I know what you mean I cannot have 2 downswing thoughts if they both involve the hands and arms, for instance elbow to belly is fine but I then couldn't add left arm shutting the door, felt jerky and I didn't have time to execute. I find it easier if the first part is lower body then arms. Sort of one two in my head. The other way is to use the first downswing thought as your practice routine and stop there. Also rep it while your not playing.

All your spare time backswing then bump and stop over and over. Becomes habit then when you are playing a shot think dump

Your last paragraph sounds like the bump and dump anyhow, your hands are probably lowering while your rotating your hips, most golfers instinctively bump. It's how far that tends to be the problem

The "separate the shoulder from the chin" move is awesome. I've been to a couple of Monte's clinics and have struggled with stopping the upper body movement toward the target in the downswing. The shoulder move seems to be the right feel to help me get my arms forward and keep the head back. The amount of information in this video is incredible - money well spent.

I had a major breakthrough in my swing months back when Monte told me this. Not something you'd think of but its so simple

Is this in the driver for dough video or is this separate shoulder from chin video something Monte has on youtube?

[color=#000000][b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Taylormade M3 440 Graphite Design Tour AD BB [/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Taylormade RBZ Tour Issue 14.5 Diamana White [/font][font=comic sans ms,cursive] [/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Taylormade P790 3-P Recoil 95 [/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Titleist SM7 [/font][font=comic sans ms,cursive]50, 54, 60[/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Taylormade HiToe 64[/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Taylormade Spider Tour Black [/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Taylormade Ghost Spider S[/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Taylormade TP 5X [/font][/size][/b][/color]

The "separate the shoulder from the chin" move is awesome. I've been to a couple of Monte's clinics and have struggled with stopping the upper body movement toward the target in the downswing. The shoulder move seems to be the right feel to help me get my arms forward and keep the head back. The amount of information in this video is incredible - money well spent.

I had a major breakthrough in my swing months back when Monte told me this. Not something you'd think of but its so simple

Is this in the driver for dough video or is this separate shoulder from chin video something Monte has on youtube?

It's in the D4D

Here's my report on the video. For me, it already has added about 10 yards. I believe there may even be a few more yards I could squeeze out too.

Big difference is my 12 year old son. He has watched over and over. His driving distance prior to Drive For Dough, was about 200 yards total. He's about 230 right now. Had to move him back a set of tees even. He played a 9 hole competition and shot even par because of what he has learned. Kid says it also helped his iron shots as well.

I am getting the short game series for him. He needs improvement there too.

Drive For Dough is the real deal. Thanks Monte.

Loved all the stuff about getting stuck and the different feels from one day to the next. Took a lesson locally and felt getting my shoulder left faster helped for a while... but then stopped. I can mistake that feeling for my shoulder getting high as left and that only exacerbates my problem. Now using a combo of left arm off chest/humerus forward/right shoulder out.

• 2 weeks later...