Early Morning Groups..

Buddy, if people have to hit into you before you are letting them play through then you definitely have an issue in your group. You just aren't aware of your position on the course and those behind you. People shouldn't have to ask to play through, it should be offered if they are playing faster than you. If they are pegging tee shots up near you then you have already missed several opportunities to allow them to go through.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm confused about the tee times. You said there was nobody in front of you. But in another post said there was in fact a group in front, but they teed off 15 minutes before you did.

You had a 7:50, but teed off at 7:45 while the group behind you had an 8:02, but teed off just a few minutes after you did.

Who's running the show at this place? You guys teed off 5 minutes early, but it was still 15 minutes behind the group in front. Why is there a 20 minute gap and then a 12 minute gap.

Everyone's fast is different, but from the info provided it kinda sounds like your group might be slow, at least for early morning golf. Most telling info is not the group behind you that was ?pushing you but not catching you?, it was the group in front of you that you only saw only on par 5's. The pace recommendations are kinda like an upper limit for a round IMO. If you can't see the group in front of you your out of position.

Regarding getting hit into and loud music there is no excuse. I love listening to music on the course if my group is ok with it, but that means it's off around any other group and not set to rock concert loud. The course I play most of my rounds at now, the tee's and greens are too close together to have really any listening time, so I leave it at home on those days. Talking with the cart girl is complex because if the guys there were members they probably have a fun relationship with her, either that or they are just being jerks.

Also,just because a group sprays it all over the course does NOT mean they are have to be slow golfers, and also just because a group is shooting around par doesn't make them fast (usually the opposite). Most people that play early morning are serious golfers that are trying to get in the round as quick as possible.

Cally Epic SZ, Cally 815 alpha FW, Cally alpha 815 3 and 4 hybrid, Apex Pro 5-Aw, callaway md2 54, callaway md2 58, Xenon Custom Copper Bullseye

To me, it's like the tailgater behind you on the highway and you're doing 10 mph over the speed limit.

Do you keep them behind you to prove a point or are you better off simply letting them pass and then not have to deal with them again?

And maybe for you breaking the speed limit by 10 is your comfort zone while their's is 25. Just being devil's advocate

Cally Epic SZ, Cally 815 alpha FW, Cally alpha 815 3 and 4 hybrid, Apex Pro 5-Aw, callaway md2 54, callaway md2 58, Xenon Custom Copper Bullseye

The group behind should NEVER have to beg to be let through. The group in front absolutely knows if they are faster or slower than the group behind, AND the group in front knows if there is room ahead of them or not. In a lot of course layouts, the group behind can only guess there is room in front of the group ahead of them, because that group is playing so slow.

Directly from the ETIQUETTE section in the ROG:

"It is a group's responsibility to keep up with the group in front. If it loses a clear hole and is delaying the group behind, it should invite the group behind to play through, irrespective of the number of players in that group. Where a group has not lost a clear hole, but it is apparent the group behind can play faster, it should invite the faster moving group to play through."

In neither of those cases does the ROG recommend waiting until the fast group kisses your feet and begs you to step aside. In both cases, even without a clear hole ahead, they still say to let the faster group play through.

A group should NEVER have to ask/beg to be let through. Both groups know who the faster group is. Let the faster group through.

"Where a group has not lost a clear hole, but it is apparent the group behind can play faster, it should invite the faster moving group to play through."

This sentence caused a debate at our club recently

The course was backed up a few holes, and a three ball was keeping up with the groups in front. A 2 ball catches up behind the 3 ball, and the discussion ensues when the 3 ball don't let the 2 ball through

In the bar discussion later , it seemed fairly split as to whether the 3 ball should have let the 2 ball through

"Where a group has not lost a clear hole, but it is apparent the group behind can play faster, it should invite the faster moving group to play through."

The course was backed up a few holes, and a three ball was keeping up with the groups in front. A 2 ball catches up behind the 3 ball, and the discussion ensues when the 3 ball don't let the 2 ball through

In the bar discussion later , it seemed fairly split as to whether the 3 ball should have let the 2 ball through

Where a group has not lost a clear hole

FWIW, I read this to mean they are not keeping up with the group in front of them. They are behind but are just not a full hole behind.

FWIW, I read this to mean they are not keeping up with the group in front of them. They are behind but are just not a full hole behind.

The sentence could almost be changed to: Where a group has not yet lost a clear hole.

I agree with you

Just I was surprised how many people think the 3 ball should let the 2 ball through even though the 3 ball was waiting on every shot

I had the morning free for a few hours today. Went out to the club and teed off at 7:30, the first slot of the day. I have somewhere to be later in the morning, so I'm going a bit faster than usual. I make the turn in about 1:15. As I pull up to the tee on 14 (short drive-able par 4 with the tees today), there is a threesome of ladies chipping from the fringe. I thought, no biggie I'll just play through on the next hole which is a par 3.

I tee off after they clear the green (which I'm not even close to of course), hit on and 2 putt. When I pull up to the par 3 tee box they are just pulling away. They clearly see me. They don't wave me through and just take their time, which is forever. When they clear, I tee off to the fringe and 2 putt. This time when I pull to the next tee they are still teeing off, finish, look back, and just walk to the carts and pull into the fairway 50 yards ahead for the second shot.

At this point I was annoyed because I have to be somewhere relatively soon, so I just drive down the cart path which is well to the left and not even close to their line to the green, and one of the ladies starts screaming at me! Like scary screaming! Weird. I just continue to 17 tee, where it is all clear ahead, and finish the round.

As I think back, the worst part is that I teed off first of the day just so I wouldn't have to wait on anyone, and here REALLY slow group that teed off the back is holding me up! The lack of awareness and consideration for others just floors me, and unfortunately that holds true for many things in addition to golf!

I'm confused about the tee times. You said there was nobody in front of you. But in another post said there was in fact a group in front, but they teed off 15 minutes before you did.

You had a 7:50, but teed off at 7:45 while the group behind you had an 8:02, but teed off just a few minutes after you did.

Who's running the show at this place? You guys teed off 5 minutes early, but it was still 15 minutes behind the group in front. Why is there a 20 minute gap and then a 12 minute gap.

I can only assume there was an open tee time between the two of us (the group ahead of us, and my group.)

When I said nobody in front of us, I meant that nobody was directly in front of us, not that we were the first ones on the course.

I had the morning free for a few hours today. Went out to the club and teed off at 7:30, the first slot of the day. I have somewhere to be later in the morning, so I'm going a bit faster than usual. I make the turn in about 1:15. As I pull up to the tee on 14 (short drive-able par 4 with the tees today), there is a threesome of ladies chipping from the fringe. I thought, no biggie I'll just play through on the next hole which is a par 3.

I tee off after they clear the green (which I'm not even close to of course), hit on and 2 putt. When I pull up to the par 3 tee box they are just pulling away. They clearly see me. They don't wave me through and just take their time, which is forever. When they clear, I tee off to the fringe and 2 putt. This time when I pull to the next tee they are still teeing off, finish, look back, and just walk to the carts and pull into the fairway 50 yards ahead for the second shot.

At this point I was annoyed because I have to be somewhere relatively soon, so I just drive down the cart path which is well to the left and not even close to their line to the green, and one of the ladies starts screaming at me! Like scary screaming! Weird. I just continue to 17 tee, where it is all clear ahead, and finish the round.

As I think back, the worst part is that I teed off first of the day just so I wouldn't have to wait on anyone, and here REALLY slow group that teed off the back is holding me up! The lack of awareness and consideration for others just floors me, and unfortunately that holds true for many things in addition to golf!

I agree with you in your situation. If someone can catch up to me on the tee box, I will always let them through. This entire post was more about the fact that they pushed off the tee, aka didn't wait at all after we hit our second shots. By the time they would get to the green and begin putting, we had finished tee'ing off on the next hole. They never had to wait for us on a green to hit their 2nd shots, they just never gave us any time when they were on the tee.

They were able to immediately hit on par 3's, and hit 2nd shots freely. I guess they waited to hit a second on one of the par 5's and they were a solid 290 out, so hitting wouldn't have been an issue since I hadn't seen a tee shot go that far.

Spending 20 seconds on the tee would've made a large difference in the spacing of our groups.

I want to know what kind of speaker they had that you could hear their music from 200 yards away, need to get one of those!

Had to play two groups behind a foursome of snail morons at a daily fee course two weeks ago. You could clearly hear their rap music across two fairways. It had to be 150 yards away at least. Some people are just inconsiderate a-holes.

Sorry OP, but I don't understand why a threesome took 4 hours to play on an open course. That's about 1/2 hour too slow in my view. I play in the first group often and we typically finish up in 3:20 (or less) with at least 3/4 walking.

If you felt rushed by playing a 4 hours pace what pace would you have felt comfortable with?

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Everyone's fast is different, but from the info provided it kinda sounds like your group might be slow, at least for early morning golf. Most telling info is not the group behind you that was ?pushing you but not catching you?, it was the group in front of you that you only saw only on par 5's. The pace recommendations are kinda like an upper limit for a round IMO. If you can't see the group in front of you your out of position.

Regarding getting hit into and loud music there is no excuse. I love listening to music on the course if my group is ok with it, but that means it's off around any other group and not set to rock concert loud. The course I play most of my rounds at now, the tee's and greens are too close together to have really any listening time, so I leave it at home on those days. Talking with the cart girl is complex because if the guys there were members they probably have a fun relationship with her, either that or they are just being jerks.

Also,just because a group sprays it all over the course does NOT mean they are have to be slow golfers, and also just because a group is shooting around par doesn't make them fast (usually the opposite). Most people that play early morning are serious golfers that are trying to get in the round as quick as possible.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts perfectly. The OP was about a hole behind (could only see the other group on the Par 5's... that means you're about 4 to 5 shots behind them). The OP wasn't snail pace but was out of position, regardless of the time. They beat the 4 hr pace of play... but like you say, that's the limit and not the rule. The OP's place on the course is behind the group in front of them.

I also believe score only plays a small part in pace of play. My dad shoots high 90's and sometimes over 100. I shoot around 80. He can keep up with me and even outpace me if he wanted. Im a quick golfer too. No practice swings, no wasted time, I'll walk my home course (6800 yards) in 2 hours or less if no one is on the course.

My wife, who has only broken 100 twice and plays as 'double bogey is her par' can also keep up and can play as a 3rd or 4th in our group on a weekend morning and we will still be waiting for the group in front of us.

Pace of play is more or less about awareness. Awareness of others, awareness of walking to the cart quickly, driving to the ball quickly, etc. It doesn't take any enjoyment away from the game, it just means instead of leaving the cart 20 yards short of the green you leave the cart on the path on the closest walk from the pin.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Is walking a 6700 yard 73.7/146 in just under 4 hrs that slow?? This isn't a defensive question, I'm honestly curious if people play that fast or if I'm just that slow apparently, even when playing well.

The guys behind us were playing up and that makes the course somewhere in the realm of 800 yards shorter. We all shot in the 80's so we weren't playing terribly considering the conditions.

People keep saying on a "wide open golf course", but it wasn't wide open.. The group ahead teed off about 15 min ahead of us, so there were instances on the longer par 5's that we still saw them. We never had to wait, but had we been in carts, we wouldn't have been walking from the green and teeing off right away like the group behind us expected us to do. They MAY have gotten in one hole before pushing the next group.

I understand the morning thing after my second example I gave. I honestly wasn't privy to that information before that day, and that one I do get. However, I believe you can expect that when you tee off at 6:30. The group behind us wasn't supposed to be off till 8:02 on the tee sheet (in reality they teed off before 7:55), but I wouldn't say that 8 am tee times are a time you can expect to play insanely fast.

The second example I gave, negating the frost delay from the equation, was around 6:45. I can see how you'd expect to be one of the first times and to play through at a fast pace. If you want to play as fast as you can and do what you wish, you should tee off first. No? Seems more acceptable to me than having others play to your particular preferences..

Personally ego has nothing to do with it. I get where it could be assumed, but it was honestly mind boggling how they kept their pace with how many shots I saw go OB and missed greens.

I guess I'm more defensive about the fact that it was just a rude group of guys with blatant disregard to course rules and conditions and pretty much treated the day like it was theirs.

Also, is it an unwritten rule that you don't ask to play through? Another honest question. I've been asked before when it's been a single or 2 some and I'm in a group of 4.. But it's far more frequent that people make their presence known by hitting the ball somewhere near you.

I'm getting a headache reading this string because the story keeps changing. in your initial post you stated "We were told we could tee off at 7:45 since we were all there and ready and nobody was ahead of us." but now the course was not 'wide open'. you should have let that group play thru.

To me, it's like the tailgater behind you on the highway and you're doing 10 mph over the speed limit.

Do you keep them behind you to prove a point or are you better off simply letting them pass and then not have to deal with them again?

And maybe for you breaking the speed limit by 10 is your comfort zone while their's is 25. Just being devil's advocate

That's the problem with pace of play. Sure you might be keeping up with the course expectation, but that doesn't mean you still aren't a bottleneck on the course.

Hang in the left lane of any major highway doing the speed limit and claim that you are "keeping pace." You'll get run down or shot at.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

Is walking a 6700 yard 73.7/146 in just under 4 hrs that slow?? This isn't a defensive question, I'm honestly curious if people play that fast or if I'm just that slow apparently, even when playing well.

The guys behind us were playing up and that makes the course somewhere in the realm of 800 yards shorter. We all shot in the 80's so we weren't playing terribly considering the conditions.

People keep saying on a "wide open golf course", but it wasn't wide open.. The group ahead teed off about 15 min ahead of us, so there were instances on the longer par 5's that we still saw them. We never had to wait, but had we been in carts, we wouldn't have been walking from the green and teeing off right away like the group behind us expected us to do. They MAY have gotten in one hole before pushing the next group.

I understand the morning thing after my second example I gave. I honestly wasn't privy to that information before that day, and that one I do get. However, I believe you can expect that when you tee off at 6:30. The group behind us wasn't supposed to be off till 8:02 on the tee sheet (in reality they teed off before 7:55), but I wouldn't say that 8 am tee times are a time you can expect to play insanely fast.

The second example I gave, negating the frost delay from the equation, was around 6:45. I can see how you'd expect to be one of the first times and to play through at a fast pace. If you want to play as fast as you can and do what you wish, you should tee off first. No? Seems more acceptable to me than having others play to your particular preferences..

Personally ego has nothing to do with it. I get where it could be assumed, but it was honestly mind boggling how they kept their pace with how many shots I saw go OB and missed greens.

I guess I'm more defensive about the fact that it was just a rude group of guys with blatant disregard to course rules and conditions and pretty much treated the day like it was theirs.

Also, is it an unwritten rule that you don't ask to play through? Another honest question. I've been asked before when it's been a single or 2 some and I'm in a group of 4.. But it's far more frequent that people make their presence known by hitting the ball somewhere near you.

I'm getting a headache reading this string because the story keeps changing. in your initial post you stated "We were told we could tee off at 7:45 since we were all there and ready and nobody was ahead of us." but now the course was not 'wide open'. you should have let that group play thru.

Well I'm not lying about anything.. I guess I didn't take into consideration the literal sense of what I said and that's my bad. There wasn't anyone directly infront of us, meaning there was an open time between us and the group that had teed of a little while before us.

I still trying to understand what the group behind did that makes you think they "owned the course" and blatant disregard of course rules besides cart-path only.

Well ruining fairways at a nice course is pretty blatant.. I'm sure it would be enough to convince the grounds crew they weren't the most respectable group.

Music loud enough to be heard from 200 yards.. I'm not against music on the course, but I'm not sure that it's appropriate to be be played so loudly. If I'm alone and walking, I'll have my phone going every now and again, but the thought process is that I play it low enough where it can't be heard by other groups, not loud enough to make sure I can hear it no matter my vicinity from the cart.

One of the guys was wearing a Tee shirt, which I didn't notice till we were a full hole ahead on the back on an adjacent fairway. Not that I really care about that, but it's just another thing that proved their lack of respect for the course we were on, as dress code is enforced there when noticed by club officials. I'm guessing he had it on under a pullover or something, but it's still not a move Id pull at this course.

I guess it's up to speculation from there, but it's just a wild guess that repairing anything that happened to the course during play was probably not handled properly as well since they didn't see an issue driving all over wet fairways. But again, that's just speculation, not accusation.

Depending on the agronomy of the course, some courses prefer you to ride the cart in the fairway than in the rough. You never know, they could of been told at the clubhouse that it wasnt cart path only.

More than once ive found courses not to be cart path only half way through the round.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

The golf was fine, and we all played reasonably well even though the wind makes this course very tough. Ben (course pro) rode along with us on a couple holes and was very pleasant, helping us find a couple lost balls, etc. I assume he was bored and knew we were being pushed. He spoke with the group behind us about the cart path only rule, again, but knew they were gonna be pushing most of the day on us.

Classic passive rangering

Good point.

Something tells me that the pro wasn't out there because "he was bored." Its a spring weekend at a golf course. The pro doesn't head out to ride along with a threesome because he's a bit bored at 8 in the morning.

Well, when we asked him about pace, since we hadn't even looked at the time as we were trying not to hold the group up any, all he had to say was "you're ahead of pace, and what are they doing with carts in the middle of that fairway?"

I get we could've let them play through. I suppose I was just venting at the disrespect of this group towards other golfers with music you could hear from 200 yards away (yes they turned it down when the ranger came around), driving all over wet fairways, and teeing off whenever they apparently felt like. The tee'd off, easily, 10 min before their tee time.

Not to mention the only thing I noticed any of them did reasonably well was drive the ball. I watched all 4 of them go on a hole.

If they didn't have such blatant disrespect for anything involving etiquette, Id feel differently. It's not like I've never let anyone play through before.

The problem wasn't that they had to wait, it's that they weren't waiting.

I'm sorry to anyone that feels as though as soon as your feet hit the ground at the course you shouldn't have to spend a single moment not swinging a club in consideration for fellow golfers, but that's generally not the case, and it was 8 in the morning. Not generally a time that the course is empty..

We had people infront of us as well. We weren't right on their tails, but had we played speed golf, we would've been.

Wowowowowowowo....1st rule: keep up with the group ahead. 2nd rule: keep up with the group ahead. 3rd: you get the picture. You are going to get no love here, nor should you.

The other thing is, pace of play is pace of play. 1st, and most important rule on the course. And you were breaking it. I don't like loud music, and I don't like people disrespecting course rules such as cart path only, but I REALLY don't like golfers that don't keep up with the group ahead.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

The golf was fine, and we all played reasonably well even though the wind makes this course very tough. Ben (course pro) rode along with us on a couple holes and was very pleasant, helping us find a couple lost balls, etc. I assume he was bored and knew we were being pushed. He spoke with the group behind us about the cart path only rule, again, but knew they were gonna be pushing most of the day on us.

Classic passive rangering

Good point.

Something tells me that the pro wasn't out there because "he was bored." Its a spring weekend at a golf course. The pro doesn't head out to ride along with a threesome because he's a bit bored at 8 in the morning.

Well, when we asked him about pace, since we hadn't even looked at the time as we were trying not to hold the group up any, all he had to say was "you're ahead of pace, and what are they doing with carts in the middle of that fairway?"

I get we could've let them play through. I suppose I was just venting at the disrespect of this group towards other golfers with music you could hear from 200 yards away (yes they turned it down when the ranger came around), driving all over wet fairways, and teeing off whenever they apparently felt like. The tee'd off, easily, 10 min before their tee time.

Not to mention the only thing I noticed any of them did reasonably well was drive the ball. I watched all 4 of them go on a hole.

If they didn't have such blatant disrespect for anything involving etiquette, Id feel differently. It's not like I've never let anyone play through before.

The problem wasn't that they had to wait, it's that they weren't waiting.

I'm sorry to anyone that feels as though as soon as your feet hit the ground at the course you shouldn't have to spend a single moment not swinging a club in consideration for fellow golfers, but that's generally not the case, and it was 8 in the morning. Not generally a time that the course is empty..

We had people infront of us as well. We weren't right on their tails, but had we played speed golf, we would've been.

Wowowowowowowo....1st rule: keep up with the group ahead. 2nd rule: keep up with the group ahead. 3rd: you get the picture. You are going to get no love here, nor should you.

The other thing is, pace of play is pace of play. 1st, and most important rule on the course. And you were breaking it. I don't like loud music, and I don't like people disrespecting course rules such as cart path only, but I REALLY don't like golfers that don't keep up with the group ahead.

There seems to be confusion in the sense of "group ahead". Im not necessarily looking for any love out of the situation. In hindsight I've admitted that I wish we would've let them through.

There was a group that tee'd off 15-20 min before us. Were we supposed to catch up to them, or what?

My original post should have been edited to say "there wasn't a group directly ahead of us." When we started, there was a group on their way to the second hole when we tee'd off. We were allowed to tee off a little early, and by early I mean two minutes, because of what I assume was an open tee time between us, or they tee'd off early as well..

So, the hole we teed off on was open, but the entire course was not open, as I wouldn't assume it to be at 8 a.m.

Break out the pitchforks, call the hounds, grab the torches! Nothing like a good ole' WRK mob to brighten up the day.

Honestly, if you could see the group ahead of you on Par 5s and there was a tee time open between yours and theirs then you were on pace. That would've put just enough space in there for another group. With that said, you should've let the group behind pass at some point but you admitted to that already. /end thread.