2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

2015-2016 NBA basketball thread

MtlJeff

No no I agree. My point was that the East is improving because even though Miami won a couple of times a few years back, the East as a whole is better now than it has been in years.

What Jeff said is absolutely spot on. The West is top heavy and likely will be that was for the next few years assuming none of the big names move conferences. Minnesota could even be in the conversation in a few years with the young core they're putting together.

With that being said, the NBA Finals isn't going to be changed to the point where it's not the West vs East. At least not any time soon. Like I mentioned previously, the dominance of one conference over the other is cyclical..

What I also do find interesting is you see the lasting competition in the west of the same teams over time. The same handful of teams be it the Lakers, Kings, Spurs, Clippers, Dubs, OKC, Blazers etc to some extent have all been continually good and competing for the finals etc over a good period of time. Meanwhile in the east its a hodgepodge of wherever Lebron is, and a few hot for the minute teams and thats about it.

To me that shows that not only the better talent over time is in the West but also the better GMs and front office minds also reside there as well. Its just a tough recipe for the east to break…

Whoa, let's not be too hasty, really, the only teams out west that have consistently competed for a championship for a long period of time are/were the lakers and Spurs. The clippers, dubs, and okc are the more recent contenders who have shown up in the last 5 years. Outside the mavs championship, everyone else is either up-and-coming or just a playoff participant with no hope of ever winning/making he finals

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa, let's not be too hasty, really, the only teams out west that have consistently competed for a championship for a long period of time are/were the lakers and Spurs. The clippers, dubs, and okc are the more recent contenders who have shown up in the last 5 years. Outside the mavs championship, everyone else is either up-and-coming or just a playoff participant with no hope of ever winning/making he finals

My point being, for me it was a mix of recent and older teams to varying degrees of compete. Im 27 and over my main adult and teen years the teams I remember and the epic match ups I remember are western conference teams. While not always winning, the teams that were continually consistently making their mark was western teams. Like we said, OKC, Spurs, Mavs, Lakers, Kings, Clippers, Warriors are mainly who were the teams I remember. In the same time frame, I remember the Bulls, the Knicks with Larry Johnson etc, and wherever Lebron goes.

The East seems to have a harder time making things stick and for all I can recall has always been the weaker of the divisions.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

You do have to hand it to the top 3 teams in the West. They were built very organically.

The Warriors got their top 3 players through the draft, arguably their top 4 depending on your feelings about Harrison Barnes. They smartly didn't do the Kevin Love trade, they got Andrew Bogut in a fair trade with the Bucks, and made a lot of smart veteran signings for guys that were all multi-tool players

OKC had the best short term draft stretch in the history of basketball (Ibaka, Durant, Westbrook, Jeff Green and James Harden in a 4yr stretch). The Harden trade has been beat to death but they drafted Steven Adams with one of the picks and he has developped tremendously and looks like a potential all-nba center. Also late first round picks like Andre Roberson are also playing big minutes. The only guy signed as a free agent who plays any minutes at all is Anthony Morrow

San Antonio lived off Tim Duncan for many years, but made arguably the steal of the last what, 10 years, when they traded George Hill for Kawhi Leonard straight up. That trade revitalized the team and allowed them to sign Aldridge. Also, homegrown guys like Patty Mills and reclamation projects like Boris Diaw and Danny Green (both guys given up on by lottery teams) have performed very well there.

3 very class, and smart, organizations

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

East has been hurt by some bad luck. Let's not forget that the Bulls had a potential juggernaut derailed by injuries. Sadly Derrick Rose looks like the Penny Hardaway of our generation, Joaquim Noah has also been slowed by injuries. Rose, Jimmy Butler and Noah at full strength without any of the injuries would have been a force to be reckoned with.

The Pacers had something going but then were unraveled by their bizarre treatment of Roy Hibbert, which caused David West to sacrifice 10M to leave. They also saw their super-duper star (the Kawhi of the East) get injured at the worst possible time. PG13 is a superstar that you can build a contender with but they lost 2 years due to injury and uncertainty of his health the following year. If George was healthy what free agents might have considered the Pacers?

How about the Heat? They mortgaged the future to contend in the present with the Dragic trade, they hit a home run with Hassan Whiteside, and now might unravel because they are losing their best player (and possibly the most underrated basketball player on earth) to a random ailment that might be uncurable.

Does a Heat team of Dragic/Wade/Deng/Bosh/Whiteside have a shot at beating the Cavs this year? I say they did.

But we'll never know.

The Celtics....depending on how things unfold. Could be a contender very shortly FWIW. They are tremendously coached, defend well, and have the assets to get any player who becomes available

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

The Timberwolves are very scary. Karl Towns looks like a future MVP candidate and Wiggins is a perfect #2 guy (rangy defender, can score but isn't overly needy for the ball) ....Even a guy like Zach Lavine is the type of talent who could blow up and just become a star (he is a terrible defender right now though).

They also have a pick in this year's draft that could yield a really solid guy, Buddy Hield and Jamal Murray have their names thrown around a lot and both those guys look NBA ready. If it were me i'd love to get Murray and make the Wolves Canada south

They only have 63M committed in salary next year and the top end of that isn't even to their core. Their highest paid player is Rubio at 14M.

I would love to see them offer Bismack Biyombo 17-18M and sign him. He is a perfect Thibs guy and protection for Towns. Go into next year with Rubio/Lavine/Wiggins/Towns/Biyombo and they make the playoffs no question

One of the little known stats of last year was that the lineup of Lavine/Wiggins/Rubio/Dieng/Towns had a possible +/-....pretty impressive

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

The Celtics and Twolves are my top two teams that I'm interested in seeing how they shake out next year and after. Ooze potential.

I don't really know what to make of the Celtics. They seem to play way above their talent level, but they just don't have that much talent. I could honestly say that none of their players are guys who I'd expect to start for a championship caliber team. They are fairly young, but with their lack of high end talent, I don't see them having a very high ceiling. They have 8 picks in this years draft, so they'll have to make some moves (they can't add 8 rookies to their team); including the 3rd overall pick, so they'll have to find a way to turn that into a high talent/super star kind of player. But if it's someone they draft, and they have to wait 5 years for him, then I don't see that working either.

What are the odds that the fouls called is something like Golden State 65, Cleveland 0 tonight?

I feel like this is the type of game where if stern was still commissioner, that 100% would have happened

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I'd like to remind everyone that i wrote Cleveland's best chance in this series is to bench Kevin Love.

BTW what is Kevin Love stock at right now? He might need a government bailout soon

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I'd like to remind everyone that i wrote Cleveland's best chance in this series is to bench Kevin Love.

BTW what is Kevin Love stock at right now? He might need a government bailout soon

Cleveland now is really concerned for Love's health, maybe it's best if he takes his time to recover from the concussion. [/sarcasm]

Cleveland's gm probably like "you know Kevin, they have a great medical staff in Phoenix! Want me to make some phone calls?"

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

The Celtics and Twolves are my top two teams that I'm interested in seeing how they shake out next year and after. Ooze potential.

I don't really know what to make of the Celtics. They seem to play way above their talent level, but they just don't have that much talent. I could honestly say that none of their players are guys who I'd expect to start for a championship caliber team. They are fairly young, but with their lack of high end talent, I don't see them having a very high ceiling. They have 8 picks in this years draft, so they'll have to make some moves (they can't add 8 rookies to their team); including the 3rd overall pick, so they'll have to find a way to turn that into a high talent/super star kind of player. But if it's someone they draft, and they have to wait 5 years for him, then I don't see that working either.

Their perimeter defense was unreal this year. They forced teams to beat them on the inside which is where they're super weak, but it isn't like opponents were going over the top of them to rain points down on their heads. Combine that with just enough scoring to stay ahead of most teams, and it's a recipe to win games regardless of talent. It isn't enough for a championship, obviously, but it's good enough to at least make somewhat of a run.

Give them a good stretch four along with a defensively minded center, and they'll be really tough to beat. Hell, make Olynyk gain a few pounds, move him to the four for his scoring, and just pick up a lockdown center if one is available.

Their perimeter defense was unreal this year. They forced teams to beat them on the inside which is where they're super weak, but it isn't like opponents were going over the top of them to rain points down on their heads. Combine that with just enough scoring to stay ahead of most teams, and it's a recipe to win games regardless of talent. It isn't enough for a championship, obviously, but it's good enough to at least make somewhat of a run.

Give them a good stretch four along with a defensively minded center, and they'll be really tough to beat. Hell, make Olynyk gain a few pounds, move him to the four for his scoring, and just pick up a lockdown center if one is available.

They had some spacing issues last season whenever Avery Bradley wasn't playing. But i didn't find it unmanageable. Crowder can shoot a bit too and so can Thomas. Like you said they eeked out offense due to Stevens' genius.

Stevens gets the max out of everyone offensively, he's great. They won't take the next step without a star. Question for them is do you try and get that guy through the draft, or try right now with some kind of trade. Cousins gets mentioned the most....but if you called Toronto and offered them simply the #3 for Valenciunas they'd have to meet about it, and i feel like Stevens would turn JV into a 20-10 guy next year. Toronto could then just sign Biyombo and have the #3 and #11 picks. I mean...right?

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I just want to remind everyone that when lebron went back to CLE and all the love trade rumors started, I wrote about how stupid an idea it was to trade Wiggins for Love

The Love trade makes less and less sense with each passing day. I hated too....i wrote back then that Chris Bosh was as good as Love and was mocked because Love's PER in Minnesota was higher

I think part of it has to do with the fact that Cleveland is still a really good team, and also that everyone knows Lebron made the trade and doesn't want to get blackballed.

I mean the Cavs had made back-to-back finals. And with Love in the lineup had had very good +/- ratings, but a lot of this comes against mediocre teams. And other stats show he is pretty terrible defensively, which better teams exploit. This was VERY predictable. Love was terrible defensively in Minnesota, and even worse was often accused of not caring, rather box out his own man and chase rebounds than slide over to contest something. From the very beginning the question was how does a team with 2-3 weak defenders win a title. It will always be a challenge

Lebron had said in that offseason that he wanted to not carry as much of the load, which many think is the main reason he didn't want Wiggins. He wanted Love and Kyrie to be able to take over games and allow him to coast 10-15 games a year or more. Understandable but maybe not the best long term strategy.

Either way, they maybe still get a 2-man like Smith (whose stock was very low then) even with Wiggins. But they could've used the Bennett/Waiters/draft pick card (Bennett had stock and so did Waiters) for another guy, potentially even a Brook Lopez at the deadline as he was available last year

Would a Irving/Wiggins/Lebron/Thompson/Lopez with JR Smith off the bench have a better chance against the Warriors? I think they would

People were just so enamored with Love's numbers they didn't consider the type of fit he was. Ironically, the Warriors were mocked for thinking Klay was the more valuable player, and that has been resoundingly proven right

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I didn't really have much interest in this championship series after that incredible WCF b/c of the lack of competition. But after this Draymond/Lebron dust up, it has certainly increased my level of interest from a drama stand point. The seeming bad blood between a frustrated Lebron and an angered Warriors has definitely made for better story lines in this series.

Lebron's a B1TCH. Apparently that's the word that Draymond used after Lebron stepped over him that got him all ticked off. Klay was right when he said Lebron's feelings got hurt. Lebron's head is so big that he probably can't believe someone would step to him. He also got into it with Steph that night too over nothing. Oh wait...they were losing.

Lebron's a B1TCH. Apparently that's the word that Draymond used after Lebron stepped over him that got him all ticked off. Klay was right when he said Lebron's feelings got hurt. Lebron's head is so big that he probably can't believe someone would step to him. He also got into it with Steph that night too over nothing. Oh wait...they were losing.

Im not a fan of Stephen A Smith but he was right today when he said LBJ had a mini meltdown. That was bush league to step over Draymond and even worse to hard foul Steph for no reason. The Warriors are angry, should be a great game tonight.

The Love trade makes less and less sense with each passing day. I hated too....i wrote back then that Chris Bosh was as good as Love and was mocked because Love's PER in Minnesota was higher

I think part of it has to do with the fact that Cleveland is still a really good team, and also that everyone knows Lebron made the trade and doesn't want to get blackballed.

I mean the Cavs had made back-to-back finals. And with Love in the lineup had had very good +/- ratings, but a lot of this comes against mediocre teams. And other stats show he is pretty terrible defensively, which better teams exploit. This was VERY predictable. Love was terrible defensively in Minnesota, and even worse was often accused of not caring, rather box out his own man and chase rebounds than slide over to contest something. From the very beginning the question was how does a team with 2-3 weak defenders win a title. It will always be a challenge

Lebron had said in that offseason that he wanted to not carry as much of the load, which many think is the main reason he didn't want Wiggins. He wanted Love and Kyrie to be able to take over games and allow him to coast 10-15 games a year or more. Understandable but maybe not the best long term strategy.

Either way, they maybe still get a 2-man like Smith (whose stock was very low then) even with Wiggins. But they could've used the Bennett/Waiters/draft pick card (Bennett had stock and so did Waiters) for another guy, potentially even a Brook Lopez at the deadline as he was available last year

Would a Irving/Wiggins/Lebron/Thompson/Lopez with JR Smith off the bench have a better chance against the Warriors? I think they would

People were just so enamored with Love's numbers they didn't consider the type of fit he was. Ironically, the Warriors were mocked for thinking Klay was the more valuable player, and that has been resoundingly proven right

Love made sense and still does over the course of an 82 game season. Unfortunately the Warriors are a matchup nightmare with Love in the lineup. And Draymond is the b****. Lebron got tired of his b.s.

I'm not a Cavs hater, i think Lebron is great and i think Kyrie is great....Irving also has moments as a defender where he holds his own even against very good players. He has always tried really hard on that end, just can get picked off on screens and swivel headed at times. But for stretches when he is dialed in he holds his own. I am the world's biggest Tristan Thompson fan and think he's tremendously underrated, one of the best rebounders in the league and one of the best big men at chasing smaller guys on the perimeter, and that is a very rare combo.

So i am not a Cavs hater, i just look at the personnel they have and wonder why Kevin Love improves it. He doesn't get the ball enough to utilize his offensive talent, and a Kevin Love giving you 15-9 is hurting you because of how bad he is on the other end.

Lebron, Irving, Thompson....say they wanted to trade Wiggins, in hindsight couldn't they have gotten like Derrick Favors, Rodney Hood and Alec Burks, some kind of package like that for Wiggins/Bennett and the pick? (and that Jazz package would've been probably considered a steal for the Jazz at the time). You wouldn't rather face the Warriors with Irving, Burks, Lebron, Favors, Thompson?

If the Cavs win this than i am wrong....because titles are titles. I just think this Cavs team could've been better. Maybe i will be wrong

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Draymond gonna go beast mode tomorrow in game 6? Not sure what to expect...

Titleist TSR3 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Titleist T200 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat Newport

report should have just read "Sources say Bulls front office are drunk, unrealistic"

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/06/15/jimmy-butler-trade-bulls-timberwolves-andrew-wiggins

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Honestly i'm not sure Jimmy Butler is the catch some think. The reports were that the other Bulls didn't like him, he didn't do any of the team activities and hung out alone while travelling. Guys thought the stardom went to his head....

The #5 pick OK i get that. Want to throw in Zach Lavine? I think that's fair even though Lavine has a lot of potential. But that's a fair deal. The #5 pick might net you a guy like Jamal Murray, who is a pretty polished player

I like Lavine's potential. He's the type of guy that might explode one year. He has games every year where he scores points in bunches. I'm not sure i wouldn't stick with Rubio/Lavine/Wiggins as swingmen and just see what you have there.

If i was going to trade the #5 pick i'd do it for a big man who could play next to Karl Towns. Would the 76ers trade Nerlens Noel for the pick? Would the Rockets trade Clint Capella for the pick?

Deschamps Crisp Antique