JW's Adams DHy review

Dizz

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really want a 27* to go with my 18* and 24* supey dhy's, but they are hard to find. I have found a few at $100+, but I bought my others off RBG for $45 each. I'd hate to pay much more than that.

What do u prefer and find u use more. The 18 or 24? I'm not sure If I want the 24 as a direct replacement for my 4i or the 18° to use strictly off the tea when im not hitting my fairway wood well

I prefer the 24 as the better all-rounder, but the 18* is no slouch. When the ground is firm, a good strike off the tee with the 18* goes nearly as far as my 3 wood and I tend to strike the dhy better.It is still a pretty demanding club for me and is hard for me to get it elevated off anything other than a primo fairway lie. The 24 is much easier to hit from less than perfect lies.

I am not the best person to ask which I prefer because I just picked up a used 21* dhy pro from GG and a 27* dhy pro is scheduled to get here from ebay tomorrow. So I will have 18 and 24 super dhy's with white tie stiff and 21 and 27 pro dhy's with the aldila blue stiff. I don't think I am a good enough golfer to notice too much difference between the shafts, but I am keeping my eye out for sets of hybrid shafts anyway. I plan on getting the shafts cut down so they play at the length of their equivalent iron. The top of my bag will probably be D, 18, 21, 24, 27 dhy's this summer, can't wait.

27* dhy pro came in the mail yesterday. I hustled home, opened it up, and went straight to the course for a quick loop around the back 9. Hole 10 is 334 yards, narrow, and the breeze was coming straight at us. I was able to put the 27 just past the 150 marker. I found the green with it on a par 5 from 190 out after a bad drive and a punch out back to the fairway. I think I found a keeper.

27* dhy pro came in the mail yesterday. I hustled home, opened it up, and went straight to the course for a quick loop around the back 9. Hole 10 is 334 yards, narrow, and the breeze was coming straight at us. I was able to put the 27 just past the 150 marker. I found the green with it on a par 5 from 190 out after a bad drive and a punch out back to the fairway. I think I found a keeper.

When you have time to test it, would be interested in your yardage gaps between your 24* and 27*. Currently have 21*(pro and super) & 24* (super). 27* (pro) is in the mail but was not seriously considering gaming it. I got it just try it out. Never know though.

Might even get a 18* to complete the set, but doubting it would be versatile enough for me to game very often.

Have not hit them in monitors but from playing on course and some range experimentation.

DHY 21* = 202ish carry tends to roll out some - use it for shots about 210-215. Much prefer the white tie in this club. Adds some height on mishits

DHY 24* = 193ish carry much less roll out - use it for shots about 200.

DHY 27* = ??? Just not sure it would replace my 4i.

4i 25* = 183 carry with very little roll out. Like this club alot because I can easily hit a 3/4 shot for a low 165 carry with decent spin that keeps it under the wind. Do not really have the confidence yet with the dhy's to control a partial shot.

SLDR mini 14* @ 43"
Adams XTD Ti hybrid 18.5* @ 39" & 21.5* @ 38.5
Adams dhy 24* @ 38.5"
Pinhawk SL iron 5-LW @ 37"
MacGregor Bobby Grace V-foil M5k

I have owned the 24 a while and it is my 205-210 yd club. I have only hit the 27 a few times,but its looking like it will be right around 185-190. The 21 is brand new and I have not hit it yet. I am hoping it will get me to 220ish. I usually only hit the 18 off the tee. When the fairway is firm I have gotten it out to 235-240 yards. the ball comes off that thing loooooow and hard on good strikes but bad strikes lose more distance compared to the 24. I can see the carrying distances getting pretty close between the 21 and 18, but hopefully some good practice with them will prevent that. I can see myself bagging the 18 when it is firm and/windy and a fairway wood when it is not. I intend to get some launch monitor time and really figuring out my gapping soon.

This summer I really want to focus on course management. I think hitting these off the tee on shorter par 4's to the 150yd stake will really help me reduce my score by helping me avoid the "blow up" holes. This strategy will save me a lot of strokes on the days when the driver aint working.

Has anyone needed to loft down with these? Looking to replace 3 (21°) and 4 (24°) irons with a 24 and 21 but wanted to know if they are direct replacements loft wise? In hitting my 5I right about 180 so I'm hoping to get the gaping right.

I've got these in 21 and 24 and these clubs have fit me absolutely perfect because they are high flying and have the same distance at about 90% swing, so they probably would go a little further than comparable 3 and 4 irons at 100% swing. easier swing =straighter shot = ?

I would expect similar results from other people too. These things can bomb if you get down on them

Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 9
Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 14.5
Callaway Apex MB 2-PW
Titleist SM7 52, SM5 58
Taylormade Spider Tour

Has anyone needed to loft down with these? Looking to replace 3 (21°) and 4 (24°) irons with a 24 and 21 but wanted to know if they are direct replacements loft wise? In hitting my 5I right about 180 so I'm hoping to get the gaping right.

I've got these in 21 and 24 and these clubs have fit me absolutely perfect because they are high flying and have the same distance at about 90% swing, so they probably would go a little further than comparable 3 and 4 irons at 100% swing. easier swing =straighter shot = ?

I would expect similar results from other people too. These things can bomb if you get down on them

Good to hear. I thought about getting the 24 first. That way if it's too long I can get the 27 but if it's just right I'll get the 21. If that makes sense.

• 1 month later...

I just joined the team, bought the 27 to replace my funky 4/5 irons. They are on clearance clarence sale on TMAG. To my door brand new for $65.. Damn that thing is straight and flies true. Can't wait to try it out on the course :)

Your welcome:

http://adamsgolf.com/PRO-DHY-Hybrid/DW-AL107.html#start=7

• 1 month later...

Just hit this club for the forst time today. 200ish par three into a headwind. Hit a 21 degree and it was as advertised. mid piercing flight which was actually too much club. My question would be is this club built fot the guy who swings his driver 96-100. I can get most hybrids up in the air. How does this club perform off the fairway?

Just hit this club for the forst time today. 200ish par three into a headwind. Hit a 21 degree and it was as advertised. mid piercing flight which was actually too much club. My question would be is this club built fot the guy who swings his driver 96-100. I can get most hybrids up in the air. How does this club perform off the fairway?

I'm a tad faster than that (other side of 100) and usually send it about 220 with the stiff shaft. It's definitely lofted down for me and I've got a 24 on my list to get to bridge the gap between between the 21 and my 4I.

It's got some serious punch if you connect with it.

• 1 month later...

Just picked a pair up almost new for 60 bucks. i wish I tried these when they were released but I am glad I found them now. I've tried many many other hybrids but this is by far the easiest to hit for me. They fit in my set without issue and hit them on the range and the simulator yesterday. The distances I was getting worked perfectly. 220 with the 3 DHY, 210 with the 4 DHY. My 5 iron maxes at 200. The best part I have no problem hitting hig and low shots with the DHY because around here it's windy a lot and I am a natural highball hitter. So the ability to flight is very important to me.

The 18* is in the bag and is smoking the ball. My driver swing is completely gone thanks to playing some softball recently, so my driver and three wood are useless right now. The 18* is going out about 230 yds. and finding fairways. Played my best 9 since getting back into golf from the tips! Yeah I had irons instead of wedges into the greens, but a 7 iron from the fairway is easier than a wedge from the garbage or going OB.

So now I have Driver, 18, 21, 24 DHY in the bag. I bought some maltby ke4 irons and the 5 iron flies it very similar to the 27* dhy. I am not sure which one will take up permanent residence in the bag. Still loving them and definitely one of my best equipment purchases ever. Of course like a true wrx-er I am checking out different 16 and 17* hybrids such as the Raptures, XTDs, etc. that may may get me a bit more height and carry than the 18* dhy, when I should just go get some lessons and work on my driver. :)