It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

On a whim, and after seeing a bunch of the reviews in this thread, I bought an extra 6i head (same J40 as my gamers) and a Tour 125 X shaft for it to compare to the S400s in my irons now. I took 1 swing with the Nippon and went "Wow!" Impact was dead on the sweet spot and the ball went like a laser on such a beautiful trajectory. The feel was so smooth I barely felt the shaft flex but I could tell it rebounded. I grabbed another ball and took another swing. The exact same shot, exact same impact point. I have never hit 2 identical shots in a row before. Took another ball and 3 in a row. I was amazed at how consistent the shots were and the shaft felt. Picked up my DG 6i and didn't get the same results. Balls were veering a little bit from the target line, not a lot but not laser straight like the 125. I did get more distance with the DG, though. It also looked like the DG launched a little higher but spun less because it flattened out a lot more than the 125.

I would love to hear more. I played dgs300 and s400 ssx1 before switching to the 125's. I did hit the dg about 3-5 yards further. I kinda like the dg feel though.

125s have a snappy impact while the dg had a thump (iirc).

I'd say that's a pretty good comparison. The DGs feel pretty solid to me especially the pured shots. The 125 had a much lighter impact feel. I came from PX before the DG and really like the way the DG feels and performs in comparison. I get a very similar flight from the 125 as PX but I spun PX a lot more. Where PX requires some aggression to acheive a proper flex, to me the DG and 125 can be properly flexed with a softer, more deliberate transition and downswing. I haven't been able to really put the shaft to the test against the DG so that's about as close as I can get for now. I'll probably do more testing over the next couple of weeks and will report more then.

I actually came from a year of play with the SPB before going with 125. I had 3 sets that either had s300 or s400 in them during my time with the SPB though. Before Nippon I played KBS tours.

I'm interested to hear more DG users compare their experience with Nippon/DG.

@therealping

I just picked up a set of 130s off BST. I have the 105s in my S55s now and looking forward to trying a modus with more weight to it. Big fan of project x, but it hurts my elbow so really looking forward to how the 130s perform.

It's probably safe to say that you'll either love em or hate em.

Yea, from what i have read the 130s are better for a "hitter" of the golf ball. As a former baseball player that is exactly what I am. I had DG s300s and really like the feel, but always felt i had to fight my natural habit and be extra smooth with them. With the Project X i was able to get aggressive at the ball and would still have them if it wasn't for the elbow pain.

The 105s have actually been really good for me, but like all wrxers I am always looking to try something else. If the 130 plays like the project x and has the nippon smoothness, then I think i will love them. If not the only one left to try would be the 125 which I know will be fine since its a heavier 105.

On a whim, and after seeing a bunch of the reviews in this thread, I bought an extra 6i head (same J40 as my gamers) and a Tour 125 X shaft for it to compare to the S400s in my irons now. I took 1 swing with the Nippon and went "Wow!" Impact was dead on the sweet spot and the ball went like a laser on such a beautiful trajectory. The feel was so smooth I barely felt the shaft flex but I could tell it rebounded. I grabbed another ball and took another swing. The exact same shot, exact same impact point. I have never hit 2 identical shots in a row before. Took another ball and 3 in a row. I was amazed at how consistent the shots were and the shaft felt. Picked up my DG 6i and didn't get the same results. Balls were veering a little bit from the target line, not a lot but not laser straight like the 125. I did get more distance with the DG, though. It also looked like the DG launched a little higher but spun less because it flattened out a lot more than the 125.

I would love to hear more. I played dgs300 and s400 ssx1 before switching to the 125's. I did hit the dg about 3-5 yards further. I kinda like the dg feel though.

I'd say that's a pretty good comparison. The DGs feel pretty solid to me especially the pured shots. The 125 had a much lighter impact feel. I came from PX before the DG and really like the way the DG feels and performs in comparison. I get a very similar flight from the 125 as PX but I spun PX a lot more. Where PX requires some aggression to acheive a proper flex, to me the DG and 125 can be properly flexed with a softer, more deliberate transition and downswing. I haven't been able to really put the shaft to the test against the DG so that's about as close as I can get for now. I'll probably do more testing over the next couple of weeks and will report more then.

I actually came from a year of play with the SPB before going with 125. I had 3 sets that either had s300 or s400 in them during my time with the SPB though. Before Nippon I played KBS tours.

How do the SPB compare to the 125 in your experience?

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

How do the SPB compare to the 125 in your experience?

Mark won't agree with me on this, but the more I play the 125s the more they remind me of a rebadged spb. I would have no problem going back to the spb, in fact I probably shouldn't of switched in the first place. I personally feel they are more similar than different. If I'm being finicky, then I'd be willing to say that the 125s may feel slightly livelier.

But with golf, we feel what we want to feel.

@therealping

Is there a consensus out there (reasonably speaking, now that it's been a while), that for those that have played both, 125 truly equates to SPB? Because SPB was definitely my favorite shaft and the stiff was plenty for me. Currently playing 120x but now looking for a tad less spin and possibly a little more weight.

I think in the end I've settled on 125, just a matter of flex at this point.

Is there a consensus out there (reasonably speaking, now that it's been a while), that for those that have played both, 125 truly equates to SPB? Because SPB was definitely my favorite shaft and the stiff was plenty for me. Currently playing 120x but now looking for a tad less spin and possibly a little more weight.

I would say the 125 may play 1/3 flex softer than the SPB.

Maybe a hard stepped stiff or soft stepped x would suit you.

I'll leave the exacting to Mark.

@therealping

I just switched from DGTIX1 to Mod3 tour 120 stiff. Night and day. i was never able to get the ball speed i was look for and the result was i was loosing a lot of distance even with my fast SS. As a WRX guy I swing pretty fast, hahaha. Anyway with the NS pro Mod3 I was able to at times produce hight than optimal ball speed on the trackman 4.0 resulting in greater distance with easier swing. Best move i have made. I only wish I tried them years ago.

Wk

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3Wood Ventis Black Velicore S

Titleist T200U 3 and 4 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 5-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

If you can find Prototype C10 shafts they are certainly heavier, stout and will take the spin off. Check my profile in terms of setup, best iron shaft combo that I have ever played.... But not the easiest to find, I was lucky and caught BST at the right time.

I just switched from DGTIX1 to Mod3 tour 120 stiff. Night and day. i was never able to get the ball speed i was look for and the result was i was loosing a lot of distance even with my fast SS. As a WRX guy I swing pretty fast, hahaha. Anyway with the NS pro Mod3 I was able to at times produce hight than optimal ball speed on the trackman 4.0 resulting in greater distance with easier swing. Best move i have made. I only wish I tried them years ago.

Wk

How fast? The 120 play soft to flex, most people jump straight to X.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Is this the Modus's initial major win?

I believe it is.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

I would say the 125 may play 1/3 flex softer than the SPB.

Maybe a hard stepped stiff or soft stepped x would suit you.

I'll leave the exacting to Mark.

Nippon admitted the 125 is very similar to the SPB. So I can't disagree with them. It is however very mildly tweaked primarily being lighter weight and maybe a smidge softer in the butt/mid-section which makes the dead/muted SPB feel a little more lively in the Tour125.

SPB to me always felt a bit heavy and sluggish. SPO was lighter and crisper and I feel the Tour125 mimics more closely the SPO, but it is kind of in between the SPO/SPB IMO. I like the kick of the tour125 and it keeps spin inline, trajectory is a bit more like a SPO. Tour125 I think launches and spins a touch higher than SPB.

I never had a full set of SPB or SPO for myself. I had hit them several times as a buddy of mind had both. SPB has a cult following and for good reason, it is one of the few steel iron shafts that truly delivers lower launch and lower spin and for stonger guys is heavier and stable. Tour125 I feel brings that to a broader audience with a slightly more forgiving softer profile with 5g shaved off so a bit less of a beastly shaft. SPB X was always in the discussion circles with PX7.0, DGX700, etc. Tour125 X seems to be just under that level which is great for those transitioning down from that level, maybe because of age, injury or swing change.

So after reading a through so much of this thread I decided to get fit at a local Hotstix location. As described in my previous post I'm currently playing the KBS c-taper S+ in the Titleist 712 mb's. I'm beyond glad that I tried each of the Modus shaft options because going in I thought I was for sure going with the 125x. After the fitter had me hit my all my clubs on trackman it confirmed that I was spinning the ball on the high end of the spectrum (6900 rpms). My swing speed with the 6 iron is 93 mph and have always been hesitant about moving into an X flex. The fitter brought out all Modus offerings 120x, 125x, 130x, x100, c-taper 130, and Kbs tour v 125x. I hit shots with them all for about an hour, and without knowing what they were I kept coming back to a modus shaft I was just smoking high bomb draws with much less spin than my current set (6000 rpms +/-). I knew it was a Modus shaft but not which one and then the fitter told me it was the 130x. I should have guessed by the ball flight alone, but after reading this thread and how stiff the 130x was I couldn't believe it. I was hitting high piercing tight draws with good feel and even cut the ball with ease. I picked up just over 10 yards of carry with these shafts. To me the 130x felt softer then my current shafts and I felt some serious kick at impact. I'd rank the Kbs Tour V 125's second for me similar results to 130x but not the same pop, and they spun a little more. I wanted to like the 125's going in, but they felt heavy to me and didn't get that same feel /kick, which is the softer tip of the 130. Like I said I'm so glad I got fit, and the fitter at Hotstix was first class. I went in thinking I was dead set going with the 125x ended up coming out with the 130x being the best performer. Can't wait to get some new 716 mb's with the 130x's.

Having hit most of the shafts mentioned in these last few posts, I would say the Tour V is definitely closest to the CTL. Lower launching and tad less spin for me. The Modus 105s were just way too light for me. The Tour V 110s don't feel nearly as light as the Modus 105s.

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

105X ssx1 guy considering trying the 130. Any recommendations where to start? 130S ssx1? Or 130R for weight reasons? Don't have issues with the lighter weight of the 105X, but a higher launch (first desire) would be welcome. The little extra weight of the 130 is something I'm interested in trying (second desire). 120g-ish shafts seem to be my sweet spot. The 105X is right at what fells like my low end right now.

105X ssx1 guy considering trying the 130. Any recommendations where to start? 130S ssx1? Or 130R for weight reasons? Don't have issues with the lighter weight of the 105X, but a higher launch (first desire) would be welcome. The little extra weight of the 130 is something I'm interested in trying (second desire). 120g-ish shafts seem to be my sweet spot. The 105X is right at what fells like my low end right now.

Hmmmm. How is spin? 130S ssx1 or even ssx2, or 130R hsx1 might be the way to go. 130S for lower spin, 130R for more spin. The difference in weight is only 3g. Depending on your swing you may find the 130R could possibly end up launching lower on you if you overpower the shaft.

The 130 is very butt stiff so soft-stepping you're going to be cutting more of that stiff butt section which will make the shaft play a tad softer. Hard-stepping you'll be cutting out less of the butt section which will make it even more stiff. So softstepping / hardstepping is kind of exacerbated with these shafts. There are better experts on hard/soft stepping science than myself. It also changes bendpoint etc. For me, the ssx1 / hsx1 is a very minor tweak mostly for feel and very very minor spin/launch change. Like .1° launch and 100 rpm's delta.

Hmmmm. How is spin? 130S ssx1 or even ssx2, or 130R hsx1 might be the way to go. 130S for lower spin, 130R for more spin. The difference in weight is only 3g. Depending on your swing you may find the 130R could possibly end up launching lower on you if you overpower the shaft.

The 130 is very butt stiff so soft-stepping you're going to be cutting more of that stiff butt section which will make the shaft play a tad softer. Hard-stepping you'll be cutting out less of the butt section which will make it even more stiff. So softstepping / hardstepping is kind of exacerbated with these shafts. There are better experts on hard/soft stepping science than myself. It also changes bendpoint etc. For me, the ssx1 / hsx1 is a very minor tweak mostly for feel and very very minor spin/launch change. Like .1° launch and 100 rpm's delta.

Mark, thanks for the response. Based on my unscientific observations (I'm a bit of range rat), I'm interested in a higher launch, spin seems ok, but a little more would likely be good for me. The 105X ssx1 has great dispersion for me, but occasionally it seems like the flight is a tad low/flat and the ball is falling out of the sky from lack of spin. Sounds like the 130R hsx1 could be a nice fit for me. Really enjoy ~120g weight.

EDIT: Pulled the trigger on some 130s. Going with 130R hsx1.

Wk

How fast? The 120 play soft to flex, most people jump straight to X.

If you are familiar with trackman there is a screen where you can optimize your swing for each club which has a barometer for optimal carry. with the DGTI i was alway below the blue bar that would indicate best ball speed for the swing and now I am consistently at the top end or above it. Higher ball speed equates to greater distance. If you want to know on the mizuno shaft optimizer the 6 iron was at 92mph.

Wk

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3Wood Ventis Black Velicore S

Titleist T200U 3 and 4 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 5-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash