2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

I've owned and played both extensively. Both are top top tier irons. I had to sell my mp5s regrettably since I bought them at a great price but with a project x 5.0 shaft (I know!). Regardless, they felt incredible, maybe the best feeling mizunos I've hit(they were designed to have the same feel as the 64s). I never felt they digged too much, but with a whippy shaft I never really dig anyway. They had that amazing grind mizuno has sported sine the 62s.

I wouldn't necessarily compare the 4 to the 5. The 5 was extremely easy to hit (I'm typing to a blade gallery...so easy for blades).

The 4 is a true work of art as well. Neither club is anything less than ideal. The 4s play like true blades. They cut through the turf with ease. I never noticed excessive digging (x-100 was my shaft here). It is thought by as th pinnacle o mizuno blade design. I have owned 2 sets of the 4s.

Soooooo. I am expecting my 2nd set of srixon z945s today. They are selling for 699 brand new on the srixon sight with red lamkin and s300 shafts. Pretty amazing- 745s as well.

The first time I owned the zeds it had the kbs tour 125 (?) Which I've always hated. I love the kbs tour stiff but the 120/125 has always felt like a dull pipe to me. I am extremely stoked to game these once again. I'll post some pics when they arrive

Such nice clubs and the imminent arrival of the 6 series sure has shaved off $$$ of the 4 series :)

I got my z7s reshafted with new interesting graphite shafts and took them out the weekend before last and they worked soooo nice and felt great. So what are the results of that? Hmm... now maybe I should get some z9s :russian_roulette:

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I've owned and played both extensively. Both are top top tier irons. I had to sell my mp5s regrettably since I bought them at a great price but with a project x 5.0 shaft (I know!). Regardless, they felt incredible, maybe the best feeling mizunos I've hit(they were designed to have the same feel as the 64s). I never felt they digged too much, but with a whippy shaft I never really dig anyway. They had that amazing grind mizuno has sported sine the 62s.

I wouldn't necessarily compare the 4 to the 5. The 5 was extremely easy to hit (I'm typing to a blade gallery...so easy for blades).

The 4 is a true work of art as well. Neither club is anything less than ideal. The 4s play like true blades. They cut through the turf with ease. I never noticed excessive digging (x-100 was my shaft here). It is thought by as th pinnacle o mizuno blade design. I have owned 2 sets of the 4s.

Soooooo. I am expecting my 2nd set of srixon z945s today. They are selling for 699 brand new on the srixon sight with red lamkin and s300 shafts. Pretty amazing- 745s as well.

The first time I owned the zeds it had the kbs tour 125 (?) Which I've always hated. I love the kbs tour stiff but the 120/125 has always felt like a dull pipe to me. I am extremely stoked to game these once again. I'll post some pics when they arrive

Such nice clubs and the imminent arrival of the 6 series sure has shaved off $$$ of the 4 series :)

I got my z7s reshafted with new interesting graphite shafts and took them out the weekend before last and they worked soooo nice and felt great. So what are the results of that? Hmm... now maybe I should get some z9s :russian_roulette:

Which shafts?

Which shafts?

I've got Kermit the frog arms and a beer powered core, so light shafts that likely don't apply to most here ;)

Fujikura Speeder Pro 87i stiff.

I play Px95 5.5s and Ping's CFS shafts in my irons and really like them both, so I've tried all manner of graphite/composite shafts (Aerotech i80, i95, Recoil 95s, and others).

I was in my local shop getting a grip change and saw they had the PXG 0311s, so I grabbed it and starting having a bash and they were really nice and I looked at the shaft and asked the guy - what the heck are these? They are new from Fujikura so not read anything about them, I had the 745 7i reshafted to try out at the range and on course and there was simply no 'learning curve' or adjustment required, they just felt spot on.

So I got the rest of the set 5-PW done and went out and shot two good for me rounds. Job done :)

They are not cheap, but I did see these 945 heads and started thinking... hmm, maybe get them done too? lol

Unlike Aerotech or UST, Fujikura currently don't have them in heavier 100g+ offerings.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Which shafts?

I've got Kermit the frog arms and a beer powered core, so light shafts that likely don't apply to most here ;)

Fujikura Speeder Pro 87i stiff.

I play Px95 5.5s and Ping's CFS shafts in my irons and really like them both, so I've tried all manner of graphite/composite shafts (Aerotech i80, i95, Recoil 95s, and others).

I was in my local shop getting a grip change and saw they had the PXG 0311s, so I grabbed it and starting having a bash and they were really nice and I looked at the shaft and asked the guy - what the heck are these? They are new from Fujikura so not read anything about them, I had the 745 7i reshafted to try out at the range and on course and there was simply no 'learning curve' or adjustment required, they just felt spot on.

So I got the rest of the set 5-PW done and went out and shot two good for me rounds. Job done :)

They are not cheap, but I did see these 945 heads and started thinking... hmm, maybe get them done too? lol

Unlike Aerotech or UST, Fujikura currently don't have them in heavier 100g+ offerings.

I've hit the graphite fujikura tour spec 90 stiff and I will say it was incredible. Really great shafts.

After looking at them and swinging them dangerously in my living room (infant cradled now), I am extremely pleased with this purchase, oddly, morseso than the first time I bought them. I am one of those that plays the dg s300 really well (whether it's lifelong familiarity or just happens to suit me I'm not sure) but I can't wait to bring them out to legacy Ridge tonight.

I'm super excited to play today. I visited my family and borrowed my brother's 690 MB 2 iron. I can barely see the head at address. Should be fun to game today on some short par 4's.

FYI I'm never taking this 2 iron out of my bag. I drove the green on a nice little 300yd par 4 on Tuesday. Proceeded to 3 putt from the back of the green for par, so I have things to work on but man oh man is it fun to hit.

Well, I abandoned lurking once several months ago to post about the old 1969 Haig Ultras that I found 3-pw at a flea market for $10. Well, after binge reading a few dozens of pages of this thread over the last few days, I decided to finally take them down to the local golf shop and have them extended and bent upright so that I can take them out and play them. I will definitely report back with how my rounds go after taking them out. Really excited to hit some blades over my super GI Mizuno JPX EZs. So far I've only taken the Haig 7i and 9i to the range, but I'm terrible with standard L/L clubs. Especially old clubs that are flatter and shorter than modern.

As an aside, I read a few pages back some people mentioning some good books to read. I'd like to recommend "Education of a Golfer" by Sam Snead. It's my favorite book. I feel like his golf tips are timeless, and the stories that he tells range from hilarious to unbelievable. The copyright in my little paperback is 1962. Very interested to hear reactions from other people who read this book. I am very tempted on a consistent basis to snag some Sam Snead irons off of the bay just because I like his book so much. Shipping costs to Alaska have prevented me from pulling the trigger thus far...

Well, I abandoned lurking once several months ago to post about the old 1969 Haig Ultras that I found 3-pw at a flea market for $10. Well, after binge reading a few dozens of pages of this thread over the last few days, I decided to finally take them down to the local golf shop and have them extended and bent upright so that I can take them out and play them. I will definitely report back with how my rounds go after taking them out. Really excited to hit some blades over my super GI Mizuno JPX EZs. So far I've only taken the Haig 7i and 9i to the range, but I'm terrible with standard L/L clubs. Especially old clubs that are flatter and shorter than modern.

As an aside, I read a few pages back some people mentioning some good books to read. I'd like to recommend "Education of a Golfer" by Sam Snead. It's my favorite book. I feel like his golf tips are timeless, and the stories that he tells range from hilarious to unbelievable. The copyright in my little paperback is 1962. Very interested to hear reactions from other people who read this book. I am very tempted on a consistent basis to snag some Sam Snead irons off of the bay just because I like his book so much. Shipping costs to Alaska have prevented me from pulling the trigger thus far...

There is a guy at my club that plays modern driver, woods, hybrid, and putter, but his irons are the Haig Ultra IIs. He said he found them in a golf store bargain bin and then soon after playing them he bought a backup set off ebay because he loved them so much. Having now just looked at pics of the 1969 Ultras, I think I like their design better than the Ultra IIs. The sole flange is not as big on the 1969s.

I am a huge Snead fan and thank you for mentioning his book. I will have to check it out. He may very well have the most natural swing ever...

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

DeNinny, I couldn't agree more about his swing. I have no idea how much you know about Snead and his story, but his book is like a hybrid between a golf advice book and a biography. Honestly, reading the stories in his book almost makes me feel like I'm sitting on Sam's front porch with him in a rocking chair listening to him talk about the good ole days.

I'm glad to hear about the Haigs. I really, really like the look of mine. They're in good shape. I posted pics several months ago trying to get info about them, and eventually I was directed to ironfinder. I found a set of 2-pw titleist acushnets (1972-76 according to ironfinder) at a thrift store for $15 a few months ago also. I regripped them and gave them to my dad along with an old 1w/3w/5w set of titleist wooden woods that I found for Father's Day. We plan on having a little game using old school clubs next time I'm able to travel back to Nebraska and visit. Unfortunately my flea market and thrift store findings have been much more scarce since Uncle Sam moved me to Alaska. Guess I'll have to browse the bay more!

DeNinny, I couldn't agree more about his swing. I have no idea how much you know about Snead and his story, but his book is like a hybrid between a golf advice book and a biography. Honestly, reading the stories in his book almost makes me feel like I'm sitting on Sam's front porch with him in a rocking chair listening to him talk about the good ole days.

I'm glad to hear about the Haigs. I really, really like the look of mine. They're in good shape. I posted pics several months ago trying to get info about them, and eventually I was directed to ironfinder. I found a set of 2-pw titleist acushnets (1972-76 according to ironfinder) at a thrift store for $15 a few months ago also. I regripped them and gave them to my dad along with an old 1w/3w/5w set of titleist wooden woods that I found for Father's Day. We plan on having a little game using old school clubs next time I'm able to travel back to Nebraska and visit. Unfortunately my flea market and thrift store findings have been much more scarce since Uncle Sam moved me to Alaska. Guess I'll have to browse the bay more!

That swing sequence I posted was from a book, "The Methods of Golf's Masters", and each chapter covered a former legend. Sam's chapter talked about his friendliness and consummate nice guy character. He was ever the entertainer and story teller. And while Hogan was the expert on swing mechanics at the time, Snead was the expert on feel. LOL I would have imagined his only instruction on swinging the club would be to feel "oily"...LOL his only "fundamental". The only swing that I thought looked more natural than his was Mickey Wright's.

I have and recommend "Golf My Way" by Nicklaus and Hogan's "Modern Fundamentals". Now I have to get Snead's book.

Registered Bladeocrat

Well, I abandoned lurking once several months ago to post about the old 1969 Haig Ultras that I found 3-pw at a flea market for $10. Well, after binge reading a few dozens of pages of this thread over the last few days, I decided to finally take them down to the local golf shop and have them extended and bent upright so that I can take them out and play them. I will definitely report back with how my rounds go after taking them out. Really excited to hit some blades over my super GI Mizuno JPX EZs. So far I've only taken the Haig 7i and 9i to the range, but I'm terrible with standard L/L clubs. Especially old clubs that are flatter and shorter than modern....

I played my best golf with a set of 1969 Haig Ultras I bought new in 1970 as store clearance for $100. My set was 2-PW with stiff aluminum shafts. Wonderful feel with great distance control and extremely accurate. I've done a lot of dumb things in my life, among them was trading that set in 9 years later for a set of shiny new Maxfli Australian Blades. I've spent >35 years in the wilderness as penance.

My current irons are my attempt to recapture the performance of those old Haigs.

So after a many year hiatus, I have pulled the right strings and gotten lucky enough to get back onto my favorite course in earth. Sentimental value. Now it may be a super long time before I can ever get on again, if ever who knows, but i an stoked.

Here is my question to you guys. I am playing with my buddy whose boss is a member and he worked this out. He is really cool and doesn't care what I do, he is my #1 golf partner. As a kidand growing up when we would sneak on, we always played it from the back of the boxes because it is just that punishing so why not go all in. I am torn between playing one up and same tees as him and just enjoying a round and giving myself a chance to grind out a score, or going full nostalgia and back foot on the back of the back boxes and give breaking 90 everything I have. He wouldn't care so I don't think it would throw him off.......

What would you all do? I am dead split, with devil on my shoulder leaning toward taking on all of it.

I looked up the card as I was thinking about this to see exactly how bad it is (maybe not as bad as I remember). I feel like it is as bad as I remember hahahahaha....and needless to say, at 6400 yards this is a hard course...it is a legit track.

69A84355-F878-4A34-9625-1935D823278E_zps0bcftmcs.png

Well, I abandoned lurking once several months ago to post about the old 1969 Haig Ultras that I found 3-pw at a flea market for $10. Well, after binge reading a few dozens of pages of this thread over the last few days, I decided to finally take them down to the local golf shop and have them extended and bent upright so that I can take them out and play them. I will definitely report back with how my rounds go after taking them out. Really excited to hit some blades over my super GI Mizuno JPX EZs. So far I've only taken the Haig 7i and 9i to the range, but I'm terrible with standard L/L clubs. Especially old clubs that are flatter and shorter than modern....

I played my best golf with a set of 1969 Haig Ultras I bought new in 1970 as store clearance for $100. My set was 2-PW with stiff aluminum shafts. Wonderful feel with great distance control and extremely accurate. I've done a lot of dumb things in my life, among them was trading that set in 9 years later for a set of shiny new Maxfli Australian Blades. I've spent >35 years in the wilderness as penance.

My current irons are my attempt to recapture the performance of those old Haigs.

Every time I mention my Haigs, my dad has to tell me about how he played some old Hagens through high school (not 1969s though.) at first glance, he guessed mine were 67s, so he wasn't far off. When I presented him the Titleist acushnets that I mentioned in my earlier post, he was adamant that they were from 1973. He remembers because one of his high school teammates got them brand new in '73 before their season started.

The more I read about these Haigs, I'm super excited to get them on the course. They might become my every day gamers.

Off the golds, that course is 1200 yards longer than my home course but the same par...that's 3 good par 4's worth so it really should be a par 83 :-/

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

That swing sequence I posted was from a book, "The Methods of Golf's Masters", and each chapter covered a former legend. Sam's chapter talked about his friendliness and consummate nice guy character. He was ever the entertainer and story teller. And while Hogan was the expert on swing mechanics at the time, Snead was the expert on feel. LOL I would have imagined his only instruction on swinging the club would be to feel "oily"...LOL his only "fundamental". The only swing that I thought looked more natural than his was Mickey Wright's.

I have and recommend "Golf My Way" by Nicklaus and Hogan's "Modern Fundamentals". Now I have to get Snead's book.

I will definitely check those out. I've honestly never been much of a reader for golf. I love reading in general, mainly historical fiction and fantasy, but not many golf books. Slammin Sam's book is just great. I could sit down and type up a passage or two out of his book later if people would be interested in it. He has a story about his plan for a monkey farm that is one of my favorites. I could find one of the passages with a swing tip and type that up too. But I don't want to clog up this thread with a wall of text of a book excerpt, heh.

3 400yd par 4s hahaha...

Ok, so my game isn't really up to it with driver, but I am feeling good about the masda. I played today (Played well, maybe like 4 over through 14 before had to stop) but driver high from the other day is more reality....not bad, but more like i feel like I would be most excited to go and give it my all, and it is what we always did there, it isn't like I am a worse golfer Than I was...my drivers were longer and my longer iron game may have been a little more on point, but my putting is worlds better now. I think I have to do it.....

And also, Usga is on crack to have this course playing at 3 shots harder from tips.....it is 3 shots a side harder, all day, plus not even considering there is a golf course to battle. One of my best rounds ever was a 39 on the back on xmas day....I still have the ball to this day someplace, I wrote on it in sharpie and all....a precept, remember them! 4 over par for 9 holes, to this of the best 9s I have played.

Honestly, the only reason I am even talking about this and asking is because I can't get out on this course, and I guess since I have been all more serious that I don't want to squander a round by being an idiot....but my heart feels more like I am squandering the round to not do it.....I am going to ask my boy if it will bother him at all or throw off his vibe, if he is cool with it, I am going to take it all on.

Biggie, your queste reminds me of the time I played a local course. They are known for being very junior friendly, have six sets of tees, if not more. The two sets of tees that I had as an option were the regular tees, at 6200, and the tips at 7100. Par is 71.

My two buddies talked me in to playing the tips while they played the next set up; this was something we did when we had a foursome and would play a fourball match (aka Ryder Cup style better ball). My friends would team up against myself and another guy, we were longer hitters, so the teebox thing was the equalizer.

I don't often get to play a course that long. I hesitated a bit, but went ahead and beat myself up. Wound up shooting a not so stellar 87, but I had fun playing hole distances I otherwise wouldn't be playing.

I say go for it if your bud is cool with it. :pimp:

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Every time I mention my Haigs, my dad has to tell me about how he played some old Hagens through high school (not 1969s though.) at first glance, he guessed mine were 67s, so he wasn't far off. When I presented him the Titleist acushnets that I mentioned in my earlier post, he was adamant that they were from 1973. He remembers because one of his high school teammates got them brand new in '73 before their season started.

The more I read about these Haigs, I'm super excited to get them on the course. They might become my every day gamers.

I love my Miuras...but not more than those old Haigs. They're about the same size, when Miura says they're 'small blades' what they mean is they're the size all irons used to be until bloat set in.

LMAO Marand. CB stands for Cavity Bloat.

Registered Bladeocrat

Thanks for your input on the Mizzy's. I havn't hit the 5s yet (still in plastic) and the 4's are currently in the bag. I may clean the 33's up a bit and leave them next to the 5's in the trophy case.

So far so good on the 4's, but I haven't taken them to the course yet so I can't give my full review yet and I'm hitting them off mats at my local range. (2 range sessions only). Anxiously waiting for the weekend :telephone: to make a tee time.

Okay so session #4 went really really well tonight at the range with my MP4s. I'm getting my yardages and taking full swings with these. The KBS tour 110R shafts load nicely and when these faces are square it's pure bliss. Forgiving on heel hits but toe hits give you that sting and 10 yards loss. Can't wait to see turf interaction with these on the course but these are pure. 5i and 4i yardages need some work cause I'm catching these a little fat. Very happy

TSR3|10.0|Tour AD-DI 6S TSi2|14.5|Tensei Blue 7S TSi2|21|HZDUS Smoke 6.0 MP-18 MMC Fli Hi 5i & 6i|KBS C-Taper Lite S MP-18 SC (Mizuno Pro Limited Copper) 6-PW|KBS Tour S Vokey SM7 50.F Slate Blue|Modus 125 Vokey SM7 54.S Slate Blue|Modus 125 Vokey SM7 58.K Slate Blue|Modus 125 Scotty Cameron Tour Brushed Black CARBON Timeless Circle T 350G Pro V1X

Bigmean,

I'd play forward with a friend for the fellowship. More than a decade ago I played a round with my wife's grandfather (soon to turn 89). We were playing on a course that I'd never played (and always wanted to) and I really wanted to post a score. When we arrived at the first tee he drove the cart to the 'silver' tees. I was going to walk back a few sets but choose to follow his lead. We spent the round discussing everything under the sun. I do remember him getting into the cart on the 15th hole and stating that he was 'all done'. It was a warm day and he had decided to pack it in a little early. He watched me hit golf shots (some good, some bad), shared a few tips, and told me stories of his days spent carrying clubs. Turns out that this was the last round he ever played. He stuck his clubs into storage and left them there. As his health fails I'm left with the memory of the time we spent in the cart. I kept score but can't remember what I posted.

To stick with the theme of the thread. Grandpa was a blade carrying golfer until his last hole.

Regardless of the tees you choose enjoy the time spent with a friend under the sun.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

I will definitely check those out. I've honestly never been much of a reader for golf. I love reading in general, mainly historical fiction and fantasy, but not many golf books. Slammin Sam's book is just great. I could sit down and type up a passage or two out of his book later if people would be interested in it. He has a story about his plan for a monkey farm that is one of my favorites. I could find one of the passages with a swing tip and type that up too. But I don't want to clog up this thread with a wall of text of a book excerpt, heh.

I consider Hogan's book the golf swing bible. No golfer should be without a copy. And Jack's book is really good too. I much prefer books and simply talking about the swing and getting others' perspectives on it over taking lessons. Taking lessons is like playing three card Monte with your swing. You never know if your instructor is a carney or not. I'm not against lessons. I just know it is hard to find and trust a good instructor. Plus I want to learn this game on my own and truly own my swing. As long as I can see a path of improvement for my game and swing, I won't be taking lessons. And instead books and open discussion about the swing are absolutely part of my quest to better golf.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as a post abides by the forum rules, it can be as long as you want.

The best story I read about Snead was that he took a vacation to Africa and it was supposed to be a hunting and no golf trip. Somehow there are clubs with him while he is out in the bush, and he ends playing with his buddy using elephant dung for golf balls! LMAO that is one way to get me to use CBs instead of any of my blades. He claimed that the secret to his longevity was never going more than two weeks without at least hitting balls. That trip was his longest time away from the game.

Registered Bladeocrat

Bigmean,

I'd play forward with a friend for the fellowship. More than a decade ago I played a round with my wife's grandfather (soon to turn 89). We were playing on a course that I'd never played (and always wanted to) and I really wanted to post a score. When we arrived at the first tee he drove the cart to the 'silver' tees. I was going to walk back a few sets but choose to follow his lead. We spent the round discussing everything under the sun. I do remember him getting into the cart on the 15th hole and stating that he was 'all done'. It was a warm day and he had decided to pack it in a little early. He watched me hit golf shots (some good, some bad), shared a few tips, and told me stories of his days spent carrying clubs. Turns out that this was the last round he ever played. He stuck his clubs into storage and left them there. As his health fails I'm left with the memory of the time we spent in the cart. I kept score but can't remember what I posted.

To stick with the theme of the thread. Grandpa was a blade carrying golfer until his last hole.

Regardless of the tees you choose enjoy the time spent with a friend under the sun.

Good story, and that is what it is about......I just talked to my boy, he is wasted, I was like what time tomorrow, blah blah and then I said hey....and he goes, dude we are playing the tips. And I siad not you too, do your thing and he was like I will play this once a year and never from the backs, I don't care, let's do it, I want to..... I am down to have a good time and get my employees worth........so event though he is going to really drop a 110, and he knows this, More important than anyone's score is a good vibes all around and we are pumped to go get beat up....

No joke, it is more than length. I need to play pretty damn well to break 90, and ball out to break 85....and I am so jacked to give that a run instead of trying to shoot 76 at wherever. I am psyched he made it easy on me

LMAO Marand. CB stands for Cavity Bloat.

The results from going to my 'small' blades prompted me to try that same experiment for putting. I like my Newport 'blade' better than my Golo or Futura putters because of better distance control, or with any of my gaggle of Pings and Odysseys. It's really a well-made example of Karsten Ping's design. I think of it as a cavity back blade, while the Futura X5 DB is SGI all the way. But I got to thinking, "maybe perimeter weighting, even in my Newport, is limiting feedback". My distance control has been an ongoing weakness, even with the Newport.

So I tried a true classic blade without it. The 8802. Damn if my thought wasn't right. My ability to control the distance of my golf ball on the green using the 8802 is notably better than with the Newport, or with any of the others. It turns out I can consistently aim it pretty well too, in spite of having no alighnment aid. So I bought one, a gently used (7/10) 'The Wilson 8802', made I think in 1964. Mine has really is original, the original shaft & grip in superior condition, but I'm going to store those and put on a Gripmaster leather wrap and new 'flared' shaft (surprised it's still being made). The head I'll keep untouched, minor dents and all (none in the club face hitting area).

I've never been a 'mechanical' player, and I'm beginning to believe most the the new club designs almost require that emphasis, their limited feedback requiring 'positions'. I suck at 'position' golf swings.

No, I'm not looking for a stock of balata balls. Unlike most of the hype for golf clubs, today's golf ball is far superior to the fragile orbs of yesteryear.

Awesome stuff marand....I prefer blade putters but need a sight line.....I am working on that....and I love your equation of mechanical players to equipment styles.....I don't think it is,wrong for a one style of player to like one thing more than another, but the tendencies of players games may heavily steer them to one thing or another.....