MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

I just hit replay about 20 times on that swing. It looks like almost whiffs the ball on the inside.

Anyway, have any of you hit a bunker shot where you were completely shocked that there was no sand there? Even for me, that's really rare. Usually I know there's no sand, and I just hit a bad shot because I don't know how to play it. Then I whine about how there's no sand in the bunker.

Longer weekend recap:

Props to Halcyan for winning on Saturday. I think he said he was even par on the front, and although he didn't play as well on the back, he didn't need to to win the match. Solid golf all day when it mattered. I don't remember much from rounds of golf from my competitors, but my memories from his round seem to be hitting fairways almost all day. He let one get away on #12, but I think he was on or right near the fairway the rest of the day.

City was doing City stuff all day. Mostly making pars and birds after #1. Telling funny jokes.

Hoop's shoes were not the only highlight of his round. He played well again. 86 on a course he's never seen before and some timely pars that really had an effect on the fourball match. His game is rounding into form nicely for the end of the summer. Also rolling the putter well. Truvis style. Ask him about his Ping Anser that's probably for sale.

My game suuuucked. I got on the range and hit 3 drives through the end of the driving range, and I thought I had turned the corner on the new swing. Unfortunately, nah son. Par #1, then +21 over the last 17 holes. All kinds of misses, but the big thing is thinking too much about the swing and forgetting to keep my damn head down. It's just going to take time. Putting wasn't great either. Whatever. I was just pumped to get out there with the dudes. Skipped going to the club to play for free to drive farther away to pay $80 to play with other friends. That's what I was mostly about on Saturday.

Sunday was a bit of a different story. I'm playing a match in our matchplay against a guy, I'm giving two. He was not doing well, and neither was I on the front. Was having trouble with basically everything except my short game. Rolling in lots of 5-6 footers to win/halve. Switched to an e6 on #7 because I had gone out of bounds from the teebox something like the last 4 times I've played that hole. Proceeded to shoot +1 for the rest of the round. With a e6. That I found. Everything I thought I knew about life has now become a lie.

Then we're all agreed. If we were Wheatcroft, we would have executed the shot perfectly, probably jarred it, and won the tournament.

Only took 36 mins to get the answer i was looking for

boom-shaka-laka.gif

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Also rolling the putter well. Truvis style.

I was playing the Chrome Soft already, but the CCMVP2016 convinced me to be a follower and get some Truvis balls. I think it's going to be the thing that puts my game over the top and gets me breaking 80 this week.

TRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUVVVVVVVVVVVVISSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

That is all.

• Like 1

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

Had a good time playing at Waverly with Domes, City, and uh "Truvis." I was 2 under after 6 and then managed to give back 8 strokes the rest of the round. Maybe a combination of the heat and "holy shite I'm 2 under, this could be a great round." Also would not recommend any of these Monster drinks. Don't know what possessed me. Got up to an early 4 hole lead to Domes in our match and stayed around there til the end of the match. Good foursome, though i felt a little overmatched in the cool shoe department. Have to up my game.

Maybe a combination of the heat and "holy shite I'm 2 under, this could be a great round."

Hijacking GTM: How do you guys keep it together when you are playing a great round?

One of my best rounds of the year was one where I also had a chance to do even better. On the back at Waverly, I was -1 through 6 holes. And I definitely thought "holy shite I have a chance and playing at/below par for 9 holes". Then I went bogie/double/bogie on 16/17/18 to finish with a 39. Still a great 9 for me, but disappointing at the same time. It got in my head that I was playing well, and then I started thinking about it differently. Instead of playing one shot at a time, I was playing 16 and thinking about the score I needed to get on 17 and 18. That round I was +10 on the first 3 and last 3 holes, and +1 on the middle 12 holes. I played so bad at the start that I had no pressure, then it finally caught up to me the last 3 holes.

Maybe a combination of the heat and "holy shite I'm 2 under, this could be a great round."

Hijacking GTM: How do you guys keep it together when you are playing a great round?

One of my best rounds of the year was one where I also had a chance to do even better. On the back at Waverly, I was -1 through 6 holes. And I definitely thought "holy shite I have a chance and playing at/below par for 9 holes". Then I went bogie/double/bogie on 16/17/18 to finish with a 39. Still a great 9 for me, but disappointing at the same time. It got in my head that I was playing well, and then I started thinking about it differently. Instead of playing one shot at a time, I was playing 16 and thinking about the score I needed to get on 17 and 18. That round I was +10 on the first 3 and last 3 holes, and +1 on the middle 12 holes. I played so bad at the start that I had no pressure, then it finally caught up to me the last 3 holes.

Just follow the old "one shot at a time" cliche. It's fine to be aware of your score, but thinking about it when you're hitting a shot ain't good. Solid PSR, and just focus on each shot, one at a time.

Also, it just comes with playing well more frequently. The more you do it, the more you learn about what makes you fall apart, and what makes you keep it together.

there's no easy answer to that. it's a skill that is a part of golfing as much as any other.

I'm SLOWLY reading "Going Low" right now and he talks about this stuff. . .how golfers have a "baseline" sense of themselves. They'll start off bad and finish strong, or start off strong and finish bad and get back into their "comfort zone". . .what they "should" be shooting.

I kind of feel this happens to me, and I'm actually trying to convince myself that I should be shooting in the 60's, not just shooting par.

A couple of my best rounds ever, like Saturday. and a +2 74 once at Pine Ridge, have come when I doubled the first hole. My Bethpage round, I bogeyed right off the bat, and was +3 after 6 and wasn't even thinking about a good score, then I made a couple birdies, and I was like, "oh, wait a minute". Last week, I was -1 through 7 and finished the front bogey-bogey. I even remember thinking, "I can finish bogey bogey and be where Abb was the other day when he shot his 75."

Whereas another time I was at Pine Ridge, I was like 1 over through 16 and quadrupled the 17th.

You either need to find a way to not have those thoughts, or figure out how to score with those thoughts. . .and that goes back to PSR and getting over the ball and hitting your best shot.

• Sad 1

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Wonder if the PGA keeps stats on this. I'd be curious to see who keeps their shite together. Also wondering about things like the bogies following birdies

Definitely trying not to keep up with my total score is a key...though not sure I'm the one you want to listen to considering my 4 bogeys to close my round yesterday. It was a 74 that could have been much better, but I started thinking about it when I missed the 7 footer for birdie on 14 that would have gotten me to -3. From there, I pressed a little trying to make another birdie instead of playing as patiently as I had all day. I thought about 68-69 for the first time and missing that putt just compressed the timeline with only 4 holes to play. I tried to settle back down and focus on the PSR and the one swing thought before pulling the trigger.

Agree with FABB, trying to focus on "one-shot at a time" and remain committed to your PSR is a key, along with not trying to steer the ball...just make a good aggressive swing each time. At times when I'm playing well I try "not to make bogey" and get too conservative.

Just follow the old "one shot at a time" cliche. It's fine to be aware of your score, but thinking about it when you're hitting a shot ain't good. Solid PSR, and just focus on each shot, one at a time.

Also, it just comes with playing well more frequently. The more you do it, the more you learn about what makes you fall apart, and what makes you keep it together.

I like the "one shot at a time" approach too. I also try to stay aggressive. Not blindly shooting at pins aggressive, but swinging full and not babying/steering shots to stay out of trouble. For example, one of my Tobacco Road rounds I came to 18 with a decent score going and left myself between clubs on the approach, and elected to take the longer club, choke down, and hit it full. I didn't make the 8-footer for my 79, but I know if I tried to baby the approach to save my score I might have had a 40 footer or missed the green entirely. I think someone famous said to always take an aggressive swing on a safe play and I live by that, playing well or not.

Toulon Palm Beach

Wonder if the PGA keeps stats on this. I'd be curious to see who keeps their shite together. Also wondering about things like the bogies following birdies

When we played in a group a couple of times a week, and skins were played, there was a rule that you had to "back up a win" with par or better. If you made bogey or worse on the next hole, the skin didn't count. That lead to some complicated carryovers sometimes. But it made you focus to justify the previous hole.

There's also the old saying, PBFU. Post-birdie.......

If you look at the scoring tab of PGA, there's a ton of scoring related stats, early scoring, late scoring, scoring by rounds, etc.

but there's also "bounce back" percentages, and "reverse bounce back" percentages.

http://www.pgatour.com/stats/categories.RSCR_INQ.html

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I swear that Rickie is leading this category in weeks where he's in the feature group on PGA Live. As a Rickie fanboy, it kills me every time.

I swear that Rickie is leading this category in weeks where he's in the feature group on PGA Live. As a Rickie fanboy, it kills me every time.

Also notice that Jason Day is up there, but I suppose when you hit as many birdies as he does it skews that stat.

Also notice that Jason Day is up there, but I suppose when you hit as many birdies as he does it skews that stat.

Ironically, as far as reverse bounce backs go, Rickie is leading the tour.

But I bet the bunker was just poorly maintained, right?

They were supposed to get new sand, but apparently it was delivered to Bulle Rock and left in piles for spreading later.

Toulon Palm Beach

What do you all think about Wheatcroft's bladed bunker shot into the water on 18?

He had some thoughts... http://www.golfwrx.c...-canadian-open/

His wedge game looked awful coming down the stretch. What people seem to be ignoring is his horrific play on 17. He had 70 yards into the green from the fairway, took the same sort of timid backswing wedge shot - and dumped it into the bunker in front of the green. From 70 yards. Sorry thats a shot that a pro just cant hit on the 71st hole if he wants a chance to win. He then hit a completely average bunker shot and two putted for bogey.

Then we're all agreed. If we were Wheatcroft, we would have executed the shot perfectly, probably jarred it, and won the tournament.

Correct.

Someone gave me a tip of playing these kinds of shots with a more closed/square face and trying to dig that leading edge into the hardpan. No clue if that works great or not, if there was a thread ranking on bunker play, I would be dead last. Seems like a lot of whining from him though considering how many guys were in that bunker. Didnt the Canadian am guy hit his 2nd into the same bunker the group before him - and he got out just fine.

"One shot at a time" is probably the most overused phrase in golf - yet also the most important to follow *and* the hardest one to actually do. Staying agressive is the only thing that seems to work for me. If I think about the good round to much I can feel my backswing getting timid and trying to steer the ball into a good position. 100% of the time that is a recipe for disaster.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash