The 10 Unwritten Rules of Golf Etiquette.....

Well, we're a few weeks past the the hat thread and this appeared in Today's WRX a-letter...

http://www.golfwrx.com/386868/10-unwritten-rules-of-golf-etiquette/

So, what are your thoughts on the ones mentioned and would there be any that you think were ommited that you would add and what one listed is at the top of your pet peeve list?

Mine would be the guy who asks your score within millisecond of the pin being put in the cup, lol

If guys don't offer their score, how bout waiting till ya get to the next tee?

There are a few that I've never encountered and believe them to be non-issues or those that a reporter tries to make an issue by stating them, repeating them and if it's repeated enough, it becomes fact(sound familiar, LMAO?)-

Have a nice weekend My Friends :)

All the Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really etiquette but a good piece of advice regarding RP's post:

If someone asks you what you score always tell them a number. Don't say bogey or par or whatever. Don't rely on the dipshit with your card to know the par of the hole.

Someone asks what you made, you reply 4 or 6, not par or double.

I do both. I'll say the number or I'll say par, or double or triple. Or the rare, birdie, baby! But then I've never played a round where someone had my card and was keeping official score.

I'm definitely of the mindset to talk less than more, but I think in some cases talking to a opponents golf ball is, and an be a sign of camaraderie.

Lets say I have a tight match going in to the last hole or two, and my opponent needs a little break, whatever that may mean. Asking his ball to sit, or go, or whatever if it will help him is a sign I respect him, and our game and want it to continue to be competitive.

Doesn't even have to be a competitive situation for this to be true.

But, to be sure to the guys who feel the need say something after every single shot: STFU

The only one that really rings home to me is don't ask about my score when I'm shooting lights out. Bad mojo. And, my brain is too fragile to stay in the groove.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

It would be nice if Andrew dropped in and participated in the thread because as I touched on, as did a few of you, I believe that quite a few of those are simply bulls*** and non-issues that someone without enough valid content, fewer legitiment thoughts and a deadline to meet threw together, and I would consider myself well versed on the relevent etiquette of the game.

I'm sure that the fallback safety net would be, "it's from a survey," LMAO

Yea, okey dokey then ;)

Have a nice weekend Gents :)

My Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Where are the "Written Rules of Golf Etiquette?"

I'm a bit of a talker on the course so after reading a few threads on here, I realize "less is more" when it comes to talking to the ball, discussing quality of shots (nice shot!), etc.

However, I am curious if others are like me and simply track their score in their head. I don't need or care if someone reminds me I'm playing well or playing poorly - I already know.

I'll think thoughts like "three over through 3" or "wow, go par-par and you're in for a 38." It helps me both ways. If I'm playing well, it gives me confidence. If I'm playing poorly "three over through 3" might remind me of times where I started +4 through 4 and still broke 80.

My buddy is a bogey golfer who shot 38 on the front the other day (finished with a 78). I knew it was his best 9 holes. I said, "38 on the front, Adam. Nice work." Then again, we've known each other 10 years.

Saying "38 on the front, stranger I just met. Is that your best 9 holes? Are you on pace for your best round ever? What's your mother's maiden name?" is wrong. Who in their right mind would quiz a stranger?

I'm a bit of a talker on the course so after reading a few threads on here, I realize "less is more" when it comes to talking to the ball, discussing quality of shots (nice shot!), etc.

However, I am curious if others are like me and simply track their score in their head. I don't need or care if someone reminds me I'm playing well or playing poorly - I already know.

I'll think thoughts like "three over through 3" or "wow, go par-par and you're in for a 38." It helps me both ways. If I'm playing well, it gives me confidence. If I'm playing poorly "three over through 3" might remind me of times where I started +4 through 4 and still broke 80.

My buddy is a bogey golfer who shot 38 on the front the other day (finished with a 78). I knew it was his best 9 holes. I said, "38 on the front, Adam. Nice work." Then again, we've known each other 10 years.

Saying "38 on the front, stranger I just met. Is that your best 9 holes? Are you on pace for your best round ever? What's your mother's maiden name?" is wrong. Who in their right mind would quiz a stranger?

Bro, a lot of these are non-issues and others are manufactured-

I have no doubt that you know what to say and not say, how to say it, when to say or or not say it and who to say it to or not, lol.

I would take it with less than a grain of salt, HaHa

Thank you for taking the time to respond :)

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend,

Richard

I can be a mental mess out on the course but this stuff is just a little too over the top sensitive for me to take seriously.

I remember playing one round with a guy who yelled "get your mouth off my ball" to one of my buddies after telling a wayward drive to get down. We didn't even get mad, instead got so tickled and laughing so hard that I think we embarrassed him a little. But this was the same guy that later piped one almost 240 down the middle and yelled "Get you some!!" after impact.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

I can be a mental mess out on the course but this stuff is just a little too over the top sensitive for me to take seriously.

I remember playing one round with a guy who yelled "get your mouth off my ball" to one of my buddies after telling a wayward drive to get down. We didn't even get mad, instead got so tickled and laughing so hard that I think we embarrassed him a little. But this was the same guy that later piped one almost 240 down the middle and yelled "Get you some!!" after impact.

The one I wish was on there is about placing the flag when you pull it. Watch next time. 90% of the time, the guy who pulls it lays it parallel to his putting line, but if someone cooks their putt the flag is very much in play for someone else's. The number of times I have to ask someone to move the flag because it's about 5 feet behind the hole on my putting line is far too high. Especially long downhillers where speed is difficult to control fully. Put it on the fringe somewhere.

And for pete's sake, if you are putting it on the green don't stand it up straight and then let it fall.

That is literally the FIRST SECTION in the USGA Rule Book.

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!rule-14252

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

You can talk to my ball if you want by you better be damn sure you're right.

If you're wrong I'll give you a hard time for a minute, but its not a big deal to me.

The other day I was like 4 or 5 under through 11 and our ap who I was playing with kept yapping about how well I was playing, I proceeded to miss a 3 footer for bird on 12 and then crumbled down the stretch but thats just cause I lack resolve.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

I play with guys that are a lot more laid back, despite playing 100% according to the rules of golf. Not sure if these are an issue or not, but definitely not when we play. :)

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

Most of the points are non-issues for me.

No 5 has some relevance, although it would be even more relevant, if it said "don't touch someone else's golf ball". One of the things I will never understand is why people think that the only way to identify a golf ball is to pick it up right away. 90% of the time it is possible to identify your own and somebody else's golf ball by just looking at it from a few different angles and leave it lying as it is.

The most important unwritten rule of etiquette for me, personally, is: "Don't start to talk politics on the golf course." Even if somebody more or less shares my views, I still find it insufferable.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

Richard,

read the "10". sure, the list was fun. but common man, 4 or 5 of those have nothing to do with REAL etiquette. that stuff was all just "superstition", lol.

real additions.... ALWAYS be: ready to hit, fix/sand your divots, rake the bunkers, fix greens, and don't be the dolt who walks all over putting lines.

Richard,

read the "10". sure, the list was fun. but common man, 4 or 5 of those have nothing to do with REAL etiquette. that stuff was all just "superstition", lol.

real additions.... ALWAYS be: ready to hit, fix/sand your divots, rake the bunkers, fix greens, and don't be the dolt walking all over others putting lines.

And if your first in the hole it's your job to put the pin back.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

The only one of those 10 that made any sense to me was taking you ball out of the hole. I can't recall ever seeing someone not do that.

I play with avid golfers almost all my rounds and none of the things talked about are even remotely an issue.

When I do play with 'casual' golfers it is usually for work, and I have no trouble ignoring all the 'wrong' things they do as long as they are having fun.

Most of the points are non-issues for me.

No 5 has some relevance, although it would be even more relevant, if it said "don't touch someone else's golf ball". One of the things I will never understand is why people think that the only way to identify a golf ball is to pick it up right away. 90% of the time it is possible to identify your own and somebody else's golf ball by just looking at it from a few different angles and leave it lying as it is.

The most important unwritten rule of etiquette for me, personally, is: "Don't start to talk politics on the golf course." Even if somebody more or less shares my views, I still find it insufferable.

I play about 80 rounds a year with a group of about 25 guys between rounds of golf, guys trips, and beers after rounds we must spend 500 hrs a year with each other. We talk about EVERYTHING as a result and have some pretty heated (but friendly) arguments.

Richard,

real additions.... ALWAYS be: ready to hit, fix/sand your divots, rake the bunkers, fix greens, and don't be the dolt walking all over others putting lines.

And if your first in the hole it's your job to put the pin back.

Our unwritten rule, is you pay attention to what is going on and the best person to put the pin back, puts it back. Sometimes guys have to move a bag or getting to the pin would cause them to have to walk a long around other people marks. Again we are avid golfers so the pin getting back in the hole is never an issue.

It's not an "issue" for me either but I see lots of good players who as they hole out head to the fringe leaving the last guy to putt out to also grab the flag. It seems to fit in with the "unwritten rules of golf" as well or better than a few of the 10 on the list. It also helps pace of play.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

A friend of mine speaks as loudly as one can speak without being consider yelling. When he shouts it’s like the guy has a speaker and a microphone! If you make a bad stroke from the tee he seems to be unable to help it… He shouts “OOOOOUCH”!!!!

It’s just that. “Ouch” in a high decibel fashion. Then there is this tiny old friend, who in a similar situation says, in a very calm voice: “that hurts”. When I’m playing with the two of them at the time, and the bad stroke (going clearly OB, for example) shows up, you can imagine the combination:

OOOOOOUCH! ... That hurts

It used to bother me (I guess it did hurt) a lot, until I noticed how funny it is and how silly of me to let it get to me. I can't say that I like it now, but it doesn’t bother me as it used to. I’m sure that (as incredible as it may sound :tongue: ) there may be something I do that might bother them too (go figure!). I really like playing with those guys and, at the end of the day, that’s what matters.

http://www.usga.org/...tml#!rule-14252

Apologies, it was more of a rhetorical question, as in "where is the article about the written rules of etiquette?"

This article seemed as unnecessary as my rhetorical question. Each group, league, club, region slowly develops its own sense of what's acceptable and what isn't depending on circumstances.

I would add, don't do anything that puts undue stress on your group - ie, arriving so close to your tee time that everyone is wondering where you are or if they should tee off without you. Major faux paus. At least text a warning.

I found that article rather entertaining and recognized some of my playing partners from there.

'Real players' naturally ignore eveything and shut themselves from the surrounding world but the rest of our human kind tend to get strange ideas in their brain by external influence without wanting to. So many of those 10 things happen for real and have an impact on a huge number of players. Thus I would not mind if none of those things happened to me and I certainly try to avoid them myself.

A friend of mine speaks as loudly as one can speak without being consider yelling. When he shouts it’s like the guy has a speaker and a microphone! If you make a bad stroke from the tee he seems to be unable to help it… He shouts “OOOOOUCH”!!!!

It’s just that. “Ouch” in a high decibel fashion. Then there is this tiny old friend, who in a similar situation says, in a very calm voice: “that hurts”. When I’m playing with the two of them at the time, and the bad stroke (going clearly OB, for example) shows up, you can imagine the combination:

OOOOOOUCH! ... That hurts

It used to bother me (I guess it did hurt) a lot, until I noticed how funny it is and how silly of me to let it get to me. I can't say that I like it now, but it doesn’t bother me as it used to. I’m sure that (as incredible as it may sound :tongue: ) there may be something I do that might bother them too (go figure!). I really like playing with those guys and, at the end of the day, that’s what matters.

We have a "quick player" in my group who is quite the schlub and thinks it's cute to just get up and hit the ball without barely even addressing the ball. Often when putting he barely even pauses at address. It used to annoy the heck out of me because I feel it throws everyone out of rhythm. But over time, it has made me laugh and if he doesn't do it, I rib him about it. "Daryl being Daryl" as we now call it.

http://www.usga.org/...tml#!rule-14252

Apologies, it was more of a rhetorical question, as in "where is the article about the written rules of etiquette?"

This article seemed as unnecessary as my rhetorical question. Each group, league, club, region slowly develops its own sense of what's acceptable and what isn't depending on circumstances.

Rawdog, have you ever consideed the fact that there are many who play with people previously unknown to them?

The only thing that is worse than that list are the people out there that actually react to such things. I watched a guy go off on another player for yelling "get down" when it was obvious that this guy was going to fly the green. No harm meant, but the guy had to be that jackoff that reacted like this player had molested his daughter.

If that stuff bothers you, you have bigger issues.

Put some real unwritten rules in there, like don't spit your sunflower seed hulls on the green!

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

The only thing that is worse than that list are the people out there that actually react to such things. I watched a guy go off on another player for yelling "get down" when it was obvious that this guy was going to fly the green. No harm meant, but the guy had to be that jackoff that reacted like this player had molested his daughter.

If that stuff bothers you, you have bigger issues.

Put some real unwritten rules in there, like don't spit your sunflower seed hulls on the green!

Agree.

I've noticed that the guy who gets upset when you "talk to his ball" is usually weak minded.

The guy who spits sunflower seeds is always an A-hole. (but I've never, ever seen him, just his droppings)

X________________________________ Sign Here