For educational purposes

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan

Which videos in your short game series correspond to how you hit the two shots?

Assuming you used a urethane ball for the shots, would you expect similar results with 2 piece or 3 piece with Surlyn?

Surlyn would roll more but there is absolutely no reason to play a surlyn ball in this day and age. Basic pitch from a good lie is the low spinning one. Done with more speed but same motion. The high I don't show in my series because I think it's extremely inconsistent way to play the shot. Much safer version of the shot is shown with an open face.

Makes perfect sense.

The question is, what club do you use and how do you play that shot?

Lob wedge. And it's a basic pitch shot which I have multiple videos discussing. Not much wrist c0ck arms wide with ball forward. Shallow AOA with some shaft lean at impact

Is the club face square to the target at address or is it slightly open exposing the bounce?

Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

Makes perfect sense.

The question is, what club do you use and how do you play that shot?

Lob wedge. And it's a basic pitch shot which I have multiple videos discussing. Not much wrist c0ck arms wide with ball forward. Shallow AOA with some shaft lean at impact

Is the club face square to the target at address or is it slightly open exposing the bounce?

Square. There is still bounce exposed with a square face.

Is 07 degrees bounce okay?

It's less the number and more about where the bounce is and the shape of true sole. 7* of "effective bounce" which is what most are quoting, is OK if peak bounce is in the center of the sole and relatively steep. Bounce adds a margin of error. Does nothing on solid perfect shots. It's about what it helps on your worst shots

Dan

Assuming you used a urethane ball for the shots, would you expect similar results with 2 piece or 3 piece with Surlyn?

Surlyn would roll more but there is absolutely no reason to play a surlyn ball in this day and age. Basic pitch from a good lie is the low spinning one. Done with more speed but same motion. The high I don't show in my series because I think it's extremely inconsistent way to play the shot. Much safer version of the shot is shown with an open face.

Why so strong against Surlyn? I lose a couple per side as a high handicap, so hesitate to spend the extra money on urethane.

Dan

Why so strong against Surlyn? I lose a couple per side as a high handicap, so hesitate to spend the extra money on urethane.

Not everyone is against Surlyn. I'd venture that the majority of golfers should be using surlyn, and are. I watch low hcp players throw strokes away all too often with urathane covers. Yes they spin more, and that is not always a good thing. Ironically I think the shot that Dan says is the easiest and most consistent, is hard and not consistent. Dan knows golf, and has numbers to back things up, I'm not disagreeing, just saying there are alternative ways to play which may be better for some...

Dan

Not everyone is against Surlyn. I'd venture that the majority of golfers should be using surlyn, and are. I watch low hcp players throw strokes away all too often with urathane covers. Yes they spin more, and that is not always a good thing. Ironically I think the shot that Dan says is the easiest and most consistent, is hard and not consistent. Dan knows golf, and has numbers to back things up, I'm not disagreeing, just saying there are alternative ways to play which may be better for some...

Curious why you think its harder? Dan has shown how much room for error you have with his technique and I cannot imagine anything providing a larger margin. I believe he hit behind a ball about 6 inches on purpose and still had good results.

Dan

Curious why you think its harder? Dan has shown how much room for error you have with his technique and I cannot imagine anything providing a larger margin. I believe he hit behind a ball about 6 inches on purpose and still had good results.

I think shots that require quick acceleration as well as a soft touch don't really mix. Again, my opinion. And if I'm reading the post wrong, my apologies...

It's less the number and more about where the bounce is and the shape of true sole. 7* of "effective bounce" which is what most are quoting, is OK if peak bounce is in the center of the sole and relatively steep. Bounce adds a margin of error. Does nothing on solid perfect shots. It's about what it helps on your worst shots

Do you like the look of the new Cleveland RTX 3? V-LG peak bounce looks super centred

http://www.golfwrx.com/380778/spotted-cleveland-rtx-3-wedges/

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1365626-cleveland-rtx-3-wedges-all-grinds-and-finishes/

Dan

It's inferior and is costing you shots. You can buy tour level uerethane balls for $25 a dozen. Those shots were done with a $25 uerethane ball, Taylormade Project A. Many times you can get a uerethane ball for cheaper than surlyn.

I think shots that require quick acceleration as well as a soft touch don't really mix. Again, my opinion. And if I'm reading the post wrong, my apologies...

There's no soft touch and there is WAY less speed and acceleration in the bottom photo than the top photo. The margin of error on the bottom photo is massive. The top photo not so much

Do you like the look of the new Cleveland RTX 3? V-LG peak bounce looks super centred

http://www.golfwrx.com/380778/spotted-cleveland-rtx-3-wedges/

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1365626-cleveland-rtx-3-wedges-all-grinds-and-finishes/

Yep the mid sole one looks good.

Dan

How are they throwing away strokes with a urethane ball? They spin roughly the same off a tee and more around the greens. That's they whole point of the modern ball it's the best of both worlds. A ball like the Titleist Velocity spins the most of the driver and the least around the green. How is that good for anyone?

In this day and age there isn't even a big cost difference and no downside to playing a urethane ball.

Dan

How are they throwing away strokes with a urethane ball? They spin roughly the same off a tee and more around the greens. That's they whole point of the modern ball it's the best of both worlds. A ball like the Titleist Velocity spins the most of the driver and the least around the green. How is that good for anyone?

In this day and age there isn't even a big cost difference and no downside to playing a urethane ball.

The lack of green side spin is consistent. If a player hits a shot cleaner than expected from just off the green, it stops 10 feet short. Less clean and its 10 feet past. Either way it cost that player an up and down. A little grass between the club and ball and a surlyn ball still does what it does. I'm just saying that a surlyn ball can be much more consistent around the green when the player is not. And that saves strokes. Furthermore, the love of the LW has hurt many a golfer's ability to consistently hit the short shot cleanly. Give a 10 HCP a LW and a urathane ball and watch their up and down stats tank.

Dan

Guess that depends how many balls you lose per round

The lack of green side spin is consistent. If a player hits a shot cleaner than expected from just off the green, it stops 10 feet short. Less clean and its 10 feet past. Either way it cost that player an up and down. A little grass between the club and ball and a surlyn ball still does what it does. I'm just saying that a surlyn ball can be much more consistent around the green when the player is not. And that saves strokes. Furthermore, the love of the LW has hurt many a golfer's ability to consistently hit the short shot cleanly. Give a 10 HCP a LW and a urathane ball and watch their up and down stats tank.

I completely disagree. And the urethane ball isn't just superior around the greens, it's superior everywhere. Give me 10 minutes with a 10hcp and a LW with a good ball and their stats will get significantly better.

The difference in spin on the good and bad shots with the surlyn ball would be that same just both lower. One will still go 10' shorter. The variance doesn't change. And from 10' you still have nearly a 50% chance of getting up and down. 10' would be a GREAT proximity to the hole average for a mid handicap golfer

What's inconsistent is players, not the ball. With the modern legal grooves you never hit the shots that spins a ridiculous amount out of nowhere. With grooves in 2008 maybe. Now it's a complete non issue. It's a technique issue. Every single player I teach does better with a tour level ball (spin wise not price wise)

Guess that depends how many balls you lose per round

How so? Again there are urethane balls that are every bit as cheap or cheaper than surlyn balls. IMO the best ball on the market is $25 a dozen. Even if you lost 6 balls a round that's roughly 20-25% of what greens fees cost. Playing golf cost way more than the balls. I can name a ton of popular surlyn balls that are more expensive than the urethane ball I play

How so? Again there are urethane balls that are every bit as cheap or cheaper than surlyn balls. IMO the best ball on the market is $25 a dozen. Even if you lost 6 balls a round that's roughly 20-25% of what greens fees cost. Playing golf cost way more than the balls. I can name a ton of popular surlyn balls that are more expensive than the urethane ball I play

New balls are more expensive I think in the UK, I tend to buy lake balls off ebay by the 50. Not sure if it makes much difference at the standard I play at the moment, plus most courses I play regularly are around $15-20 a round.

New balls are more expensive I think in the UK, I tend to buy lake balls off ebay by the 50. Not sure if it makes much difference at the standard I play at the moment, plus most courses I play regularly are around $15-20 a round.

$15-20 a round isn't normal here in the US. Can get refurb project A's for $13 a dozen. So for that direction they are super cheap

http://www.lostgolfballs.com/taylormade-project-a-factory-refinished.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KEQjw_eu8BRDC-YLHusmTmMEBEiQArW6c-OPeWxMIUk7T5fyeVaV_SUaEfNhLt43YIKGlremwQ8YaAo_h8P8HAQ

Should you choose a ball based on your swing speed?

Depends. You should get fit for a ball that works best. It's not strictly speed based

$15-20 a round isn't normal here in the US. Can get refurb project A's for $13 a dozen. So for that direction they are super cheap

http://www.lostgolfb...wQ8YaAo_h8P8HAQ

Should you choose a ball based on your swing speed?

Depends. You should get fit for a ball that works best. It's not strictly speed based

I'll maybe take your advice and look at spending a little more. Benefit of living in the west of Scotland is that you can find a couple of reasonably interesting courses without spending a fortune