2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Lob wedge and older guys

Mad_Lobber

what the heck is a lob wedge?

is it before or after a sand wedge..

I'm serious. I have no clue.

Sorry I'm an old guy....

more loft than a sand wedge. Presumably it has less bounce and perhaps a narrower sole as well, but it's primarily the loft that determines it. Most folks' lob wedges are 58 or 60. I use a 58 as a sand wedge and have a 64 degree lob wedge

The sonic boom you just heard was the joke going past you.

the faint buzzing in your ear was the subtle irony of my deadpan reply escaping you

I went outside for a drive and came across the oddest roadkill. It looked like a goat but had the torso of a man.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know some older guys who are serious about their golf and unless it's extremelly necessary they'll never use anything more lofted than a PW. They are sharp as a knife around the green.

I have a 58 wedge I only use from sand or to a tucked pin behind a bunker. I manage all my chipping with a 54*. I too have noticed the proliferation of lob wedges and you see the average amateur with a LW and it's just the gate to tragedy

People that ONLY use their lob wedge on all green side shots are absolutely and unequivocally hurting their scoring ability.

It is imperative to learn to get the ball on the green and rolling as soon as possible. The more you can treat pitch shots and chip shots like a putt, the better you will score. Unless there is serious slope or danger beyond the hole, you would like to see your pitches and chips ROLLING past the hole 100% of the time if they do not go in. Obviously it will not happen 100% of the time, but that should be the goal. The old cliche, "never up, never in", is entirely true. You must give the ball a chance to go in.

Attempting to Lob the ball on every possible occasion drastically decreases your chance of Rolling The ball in. You will end up with far too many balls short of the hole that never had an opportunity to go in. Even if you are an incredible short putter, but you will still score worse because you will be trying to save par from short of the hole far too often.

Virtually every really good golfer learns to use less lofted clubs around the green whenever possible. Certainly there are cases where the green is severely sloped or there is a nasty tier in the middle of the green that dictates a lob shot is the way to go, but GENERALLY speaking, getting the ball on the green and rolling as soon as possible will statistically increase your number of birdies and par saves.

Learning to use a 6, 8, pitch or gap wedge correctly around the greens is an absolute necessity to lowering your scores.

As to why "old guys" use hybrids for everything around the greens. Well.....I have not seen this myself terribly often, but this certainly is a valid form of chipping. I personally have never hit a hybrid I liked so I've never owned one to try it.

Don't confuse using a lob wedge with hitting a lob/ flop shot. Don't think anyone is advocating hitting a flop shot every time.

If you're going to deloft the LW to PW lofts, then drag the club to keep the ball low. Why not simply hit a PW? Is it because you're looking for the spin or have decided you only want to use one club around the green?

easiest club in the bag besides driver. completely agree. I see way more people who would benefit from a LW than I do people I think it hurts them. greens are too fast nowadays to have a PW be your stock shot around greens

inb4 someone says they use a 56. that counts too. I play with a decent amount of people that don't use higher lofted wedges than PW and it hurts them greenside.

Players with a touch can play greenside bump and runs with a 7/8 iron. Quite a few golfers without touch (me included) can't, and we need loft to control the ball, mostly because it's difficult to control club speed in delicate shots.

Didn't say that either.

To me a chip with say a modern pw is carrying the ball on a low trajectory to the green and most of the total distance traveled is on the ground.

A flop is the exact opposite with all or vast majority of distance thru the air.

The shot I'm describing falls in between, call it mid trajectory with about 75% total distance thru the air. Sure their is some delofting but I'm not talking about hooding an LW to recreate what I described above with a pw

Don't confuse using a lob wedge with hitting a lob/ flop shot. Don't think anyone is advocating hitting a flop shot every time.

If you're going to deloft the LW to PW lofts, then drag the club to keep the ball low. Why not simply hit a PW? Is it because you're looking for the spin or have decided you only want to use one club around the green?

Its a longer club with less bounce. I like using my l-wedge because of how forgiving it is on mishits. If you want more roll simply start with more weight forward the the ball comes out lower.

what the heck is a lob wedge?

is it before or after a sand wedge..

I'm serious. I have no clue.

Sorry I'm an old guy....

more loft than a sand wedge. Presumably it has less bounce and perhaps a narrower sole as well, but it's primarily the loft that determines it. Most folks' lob wedges are 58 or 60. I use a 58 as a sand wedge and have a 64 degree lob wedge

The sonic boom you just heard was the joke going past you.

the faint buzzing in your ear was the subtle irony of my deadpan reply escaping you

I went outside for a drive and came across the oddest roadkill. It looked like a goat but had the torso of a man.

why did the satyr cross the road?

Its a longer club with less bounce. I like using my l-wedge because of how forgiving it is on mishits. If you want more roll simply start with more weight forward the the ball comes out lower.

Only way for the ball to come out lower is to have less dynamic loft which means you're executing a stroke with a club that has minimal to non-existent bounce at impact. It works as long as you don't get twitchy.

People that ONLY use their lob wedge on all green side shots are absolutely and unequivocally hurting their scoring ability.

It is imperative to learn to get the ball on the green and rolling as soon as possible. The more you can treat pitch shots and chip shots like a putt, the better you will score. Unless there is serious slope or danger beyond the hole, you would like to see your pitches and chips ROLLING past the hole 100% of the time if they do not go in. Obviously it will not happen 100% of the time, but that should be the goal. The old cliche, "never up, never in", is entirely true. You must give the ball a chance to go in.

Attempting to Lob the ball on every possible occasion drastically decreases your chance of Rolling The ball in. You will end up with far too many balls short of the hole that never had an opportunity to go in. Even if you are an incredible short putter, but you will still score worse because you will be trying to save par from short of the hole far too often.

Virtually every really good golfer learns to use less lofted clubs around the green whenever possible. Certainly there are cases where the green is severely sloped or there is a nasty tier in the middle of the green that dictates a lob shot is the way to go, but GENERALLY speaking, getting the ball on the green and rolling as soon as possible will statistically increase your number of birdies and par saves.

Learning to use a 6, 8, pitch or gap wedge correctly around the greens is an absolute necessity to lowering your scores.

As to why "old guys" use hybrids for everything around the greens. Well.....I have not seen this myself terribly often, but this certainly is a valid form of chipping. I personally have never hit a hybrid I liked so I've never owned one to try it.

Not sure I know anyone who uses ONLY their lob wedge around the the greens. I know many very good (+ handicap ams) and great (Phil Mickelson and others) players who hit the overwhelming majority of their short game shots with a lob wedge of some sort, though.

The thing that many people don't understand about the lob wedge is that it's extremely versatile: It can be flopped, pitched, bumped, or chipped. It can be used to hit low runners or quick stoppers. Phil uses the "outside the back foot" method to hit low scooters with LW all the time.

You're right about the "getting it running" part, you just fail to acknowledge that many expert players do that with a hooded LW (or perhaps SW) versus a 6 or 8-iron.

Curious as to where you came by your "more clubs is better" dogma.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Only way for the ball to come out lower is to have less dynamic loft which means you're executing a stroke with a club that has minimal to non-existent bounce at impact. It works as long as you don't get twitchy.

This is true, although I will confess the trajectory between the two shots isnt dramatic, so likely only delofting a few degrees

I can't speak for where Jagpilotohio got his dogma, but I can answer where I gained the same viewpoint and that is from Bobby Jones. He has an essay on "Choosing the Club to Fit the Shot". It starts out:

" A range of shots that twenty years ago had to be played with one club and three variations of method are now played with three clubs and no variation; and it has be found to be a far simpler matter to change a club than a swing.

The value of these additional clubs has been readily appreciated by the average golfer in his play through the green. He no longer needs, and no longer attempts, to shorten the range of a club by cutting the shot or shortening the swing except within very narrow limits. He has a club for almost every distance and, in the long game he uses them.

Nevertheless, it has been my observation that a further possible simplification on the mechanical side has been neglected, for it is not generally recognized that the wider assortment of implements can be helpful in the short game as well. Just as varying lofts can be made to take care of the different ranges with little alteration in swing, so they can also be useful in adjusting the relation of pitch to roll in the very short approaches, without the need for the clever little cuts and delicate backspin shots that introduce so much difficulty.

This is so obviously bad that it sounds foolish; yet it is amazing how many players attempt to play every kind of chip shot or short approach with one club....."

It goes on. Yeah, Bobby Jones. Just call me old school.

I can't speak for where Jagpilotohio got his dogma, but I can answer where I gained the same viewpoint and that is from Bobby Jones. He has an essay on "Choosing the Club to Fit the Shot". It starts out:

" A range of shots that twenty years ago had to be played with one club and three variations of method are now played with three clubs and no variation; and it has be found to be a far simpler matter to change a club than a swing.

The value of these additional clubs has been readily appreciated by the average golfer in his play through the green. He no longer needs, and no longer attempts, to shorten the range of a club by cutting the shot or shortening the swing except within very narrow limits. He has a club for almost every distance and, in the long game he uses them.

Nevertheless, it has been my observation that a further possible simplification on the mechanical side has been neglected, for it is not generally recognized that the wider assortment of implements can be helpful in the short game as well. Just as varying lofts can be made to take care of the different ranges with little alteration in swing, so they can also be useful in adjusting the relation of pitch to roll in the very short approaches, without the need for the clever little cuts and delicate backspin shots that introduce so much difficulty.

This is so obviously bad that it sounds foolish; yet it is amazing how many players attempt to play every kind of chip shot or short approach with one club....."

It goes on. Yeah, Bobby Jones. Just call me old school.

Nothing wrong with that approach at all. Many excellent players us it.

I look at it this way. Why do course architects build greens with slope and pitch? To make it more challenging to roll the ball in the hole I'd argue. When your in the fairway from say 140 out, are you not trying to execute a shot that lands and stops asap? So when chipping why not take slope out of the equation as much as possible? Now if you haven't practiced technical aspects of executing such a shot then maybe a chip with an iron is your safest play. But once you've mastered solid mechanics with a high lofted wedge, it becomes the higher percentage option imho.

If your theory is that the ball only moves while it is in the air, I guess this works. But no, I don't play for my 140 shots to stop ASAP. I land them in safe spots and plan for them to roll a little. If there is slope, I try to use that to land my ball on and have it roll towards the hole. Same with chipping, I don't want them to stop ASAP. I read the breaks and try to get them rolling toward the hole as well. Trying to get the ball to stop on a dime is the lesser percentage play when you don't have to...

Wow. Take a simple suggestion and try to "disprove" it ? Why not just say you prefer to run the ball ?

I daresay MOST accomplished players, from 140 want their ball to stop right where it hits. Yes, occasionally there will be a noticeable slope sideways and yes, one might play to the side of the hole so that it will hit and roll towards the hole but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

As for the chips he's talking about, on very sloped green the pros often take a fair bit of green out of the equation and fly it further than they otherwise might. You're chipping UP to a shelf, the ridge will kick the ball to the right and the slope on top of the ridge will take it back left - not to mention having to judge how hard to hit it to actually run UP the slope in the first place.

Many accomplished players will take that slope out of the equation.

Granted higher handicappers will normally be better off getting the ball on the ground ASAP but even they might be better off taking the ground out of the equation in the situation jut111 described.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

"always" using a lob wedge is as wrong as "always" using a hybrid. The lower the loft you use, the larger error tolerance there is on the shot. Also, the lower the landing angle on a shot, the straighter the ball will take that first bounce.

BTW, I bet you don't make more than, oh, 50% of your 5 footers...

My Futura X5R is money within 7 feet.

The PGA Tour Average is around 50% at 5 feet and nera 85-90% from inside 3 feet. Your an 8 handicap, no offense but I doubt you are better than the PGA Tour Players.

Strokes gained happens tee to green. Also, I believe the 50% you're mentioning is more at the 6-8 foot mark.

For the record, I'm not taking any sides on this one. I think people need to understand they have a much better chance at being a great putter than they do at hitting a opened up 60 degree tight to the hole.

"always" using a lob wedge is as wrong as "always" using a hybrid. The lower the loft you use, the larger error tolerance there is on the shot. Also, the lower the landing angle on a shot, the straighter the ball will take that first bounce.

The PGA Tour Average is around 50% at 5 feet and nera 85-90% from inside 3 feet. Your an 8 handicap, no offense but I doubt you are better than the PGA Tour Players.

Strokes gained happens tee to green. Also, I believe the 50% you're mentioning is more at the 6-8 foot mark.

For the record, I'm not taking any sides on this one. I think people need to understand they have a much better chance at being a great putter than they do at hitting a opened up 60 degree tight to the hole.

The 50% mark for the pro's is ~8'11" and has been going up year over year. They practice putting, a lot.

As to hitting opened 60 degree wedges from a tight lie, well you've engage the bounce so the shot is easy - it it exactly how I play from hard pan and a bunker that has no sand. I don't understand why you think that shot is hard - it's much easier than a 60 degree out of a wet juicy thick lie.

I think you are confused about what is difficult and what takes practice.

Played a round a couple days ago with a couple of older guys. They both chipped with a hybrid and tried to run the ball to the hole. The closest they ever got it to was 10 feet. It seemed very hit or miss. I used a lob wedge for everything and got it within 5 feet always. My balls also bounced once and stopped. My question is why do most older guys not use a lob wedge for all chipping?

So you played with a couple of 'older' guys and now 'most' older guys do not use a lob wedge for 'all' chipping? First did you ask them since they represent most older guys? It would have been a great time to ask them that question since they were there and we weren't, plus we lose our memory so quickly being older, and they might have been able to tell you. Second, the lob wedge certainly isn't the club of choice for all chipping. Good thing is, you will be one of us one day, so practice with your hybrid now and you should beat all the others by getting closer than 10 feet.

Luke Donald uses his LW for near enough every short game shot, imagine how good he'd be if he used his mid and short irons to chip with more!

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

I look at it this way. Why do course architects build greens with slope and pitch? To make it more challenging to roll the ball in the hole I'd argue. When your in the fairway from say 140 out, are you not trying to execute a shot that lands and stops asap? So when chipping why not take slope out of the equation as much as possible? Now if you haven't practiced technical aspects of executing such a shot then maybe a chip with an iron is your safest play. But once you've mastered solid mechanics with a high lofted wedge, it becomes the higher percentage option imho.

If your theory is that the ball only moves while it is in the air, I guess this works. But no, I don't play for my 140 shots to stop ASAP. I land them in safe spots and plan for them to roll a little. If there is slope, I try to use that to land my ball on and have it roll towards the hole. Same with chipping, I don't want them to stop ASAP. I read the breaks and try to get them rolling toward the hole as well. Trying to get the ball to stop on a dime is the lesser percentage play when you don't have to...

Wow. Take a simple suggestion and try to "disprove" it ? Why not just say you prefer to run the ball ?

I daresay MOST accomplished players, from 140 want their ball to stop right where it hits. Yes, occasionally there will be a noticeable slope sideways and yes, one might play to the side of the hole so that it will hit and roll towards the hole but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

As for the chips he's talking about, on very sloped green the pros often take a fair bit of green out of the equation and fly it further than they otherwise might. You're chipping UP to a shelf, the ridge will kick the ball to the right and the slope on top of the ridge will take it back left - not to mention having to judge how hard to hit it to actually run UP the slope in the first place.

Many accomplished players will take that slope out of the equation.

Granted higher handicappers will normally be better off getting the ball on the ground ASAP but even they might be better off taking the ground out of the equation in the situation jut111 described.

couldn't agree more

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

Because a ball coming down at a steeper angle bounces more off-line.

Why don't you chip when on the green? It's allowed.

It's not "offline" if you allow for it. Plus the whole point is to take as much slope out as possible, I.e. Land in a flat area. Not always possible of course.

and Ive considered chipping on the green in extreme cases. If I played tourneys I might just, but my casual rounds aren't worth giving the superintendent a heart attack.

For the record, I'm not taking any sides on this one. I think people need to understand they have a much better chance at being a great— putter than they do at hitting a opened up 60 degree tight to the hole.

Not everyone in this thread who advocates more loft recommends opening the face—at least not frequently.

Not sure I know anyone who uses ONLY their lob wedge around the the greens. I know many very good (+ handicap ams) and great (Phil Mickelson and others) players who hit the overwhelming majority of their short game shots with a lob wedge of some sort, though.

The thing that many people don't understand about the lob wedge is that it's extremely versatile: It can be flopped, pitched, bumped, or chipped. It can be used to hit low runners or quick stoppers. Phil uses the "outside the back foot" method to hit low scooters with LW all the time.

You're right about the "getting it running" part, you just fail to acknowledge that many expert players do that with a hooded LW (or perhaps SW) versus a 6 or 8-iron.

"More clubs is better dogma", As northgolf mentions, comes from Bobby jones, Nicklaus, leadbetter, Watson, Harmon, etc., etc., on and on. Pus 6 years as a PGA teaching professional, a graduate of The golf academy of America and a life long student of the game.

No respectable golf instructor anywhere in the world would EVER encourage a student to exclusively use a lob wedge around the green.

If anyone reading this thread believes this to be true, you are incorrect and have likely never had any professional instruction in the short game. It actually is not something to be argued about. It is absolute fact. If you exclusively use a lob wedge around the greens you are doing it wrong. Period. You obviously can play the game any way you want, but I see far too many players use the lob wedge FAR more than they should. it requires too precise a strike and too precise a landing area to be a high percentage shot.

Anyway. I'm about finished with this thread. Use whatever club you like, but barring any wild humps, tiers or serious elevation changes, less loft is always your friend around the greens.

"More clubs is better dogma", As northgolf mentions, comes from Bobby jones, Nicklaus, leadbetter, Watson, Harmon, etc., etc., on and on. Pus 6 years as a PGA teaching professional, a graduate of The golf academy of America and a life long student of the game.

No respectable golf instructor anywhere in the world would EVER encourage a student to exclusively use a lob wedge around the green.

If anyone reading this thread believes this to be true, you are incorrect and have likely never had any professional instruction in the short game. It actually is not something to be argued about. It is absolute fact. If you exclusively use a lob wedge around the greens you are doing it wrong. Period. You obviously can play the game any way you want, but I see far too many players use the lob wedge FAR more than they should. it requires too precise a strike and too precise a landing area to be a high percentage shot.

Anyway. I'm about finished with this thread. Use whatever club you like, but barring any wild humps, tiers or serious elevation changes, less loft is always your friend around the greens.

Again, who uses ONLY lob wedge? Many great players use mostly LW or SW for virtually all shots around the green, varying height and rollout with ball placement.

In the modern game, a good portion of top players will go many rounds without ever once chipping a ball with their 8-iron, let alone their 6-iron. Many use your method. Both are valid.

OK. If it's OK, I'd like to apologize for my hardheadedness. So us "no LW" folks may have somethings to learn. It would be ignorant not to recognize that the best short game wizards of today are switching to LW for the bulk of their shots. When Phil M. and other top players use their LW to bump and run the ball, are they choosing that choice based on lie? Is it in the rough? Or really are they bumping the LW off tight lies as well? Do you think PM would use LW as much on simpler courses? And where would the modern instructor draw the line? Is the ball a factor, or should the Titleist Trusoft bunch be learning the LW as well?

My short game improved significantly when I learned how to use the bounce and hit all sorts of shots with my 60. High flops, low, runners, tight lies, heavy rough, spinners, toe down, explosions, etc.

That said, I walk up to almost every missed green with my 60, 54, and 9 iron. Once I could hit all manner of shots with the 60, using the other clubs became easier as well.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

i'm 69. Have never chipped with hybrid and I bag 3 of them. None of the old guys I golf with use hybrid for chipping and all have them. I use mostly PW, then 9i, 54* low bounce, 8i. All with the same chipping method. Have a 60* low bounce but it's for sand and if I'm in rough but quite close to pin.

Do play 1 x a week with a 60 year old who is trying to chip with the same club all the time (54 or 56* I believe) from everywhere and he is pathetic...throws away more shots and he has been doing this one club thing all year on the course plus practicing.

I think I could learn to do all chips with my 54* but why bother, I'm a good chipper as is. Regarding long chips on undulating greens I just read them as if it's a putt, chip it and usually get it satisfactory close.

To each his own. Whatever gets you up and down. I do think chipping with a lob wedge is a fairly new thing and is likely fine for younger guys who were raised with this concept. However, for most "old" guys I suspect it's a concept that many aren't even aware of (unless they are on WRX of course) simply because this concept wasn't used until recently.