Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 ! you told us you were a spry 30.......... :cheesy:

all kidding aside...Obee I/we have confidence in your ability to represent us here on WRX.

NO pressure.

This is golf wrx, when you shoot 85 you say it was 72, so my guess is Obee is 64.

Good luck Obee, keep us posted

Obie: Haven't heard you mention Funk's name recently. How is he doing? Is he playing as well?

Congrats on the exempt status and Good Luck to you.

Mark

He is just now coming back from injury. He's been out over four months.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

I got the call a week ago that I was exempt into the Southern California Golf Association Match Play Championship. 32 players form SoCal, with 22 chosen from the 2-year points list, and 10 qualifiers. I was all set to attempt to qualify, but I received a call that I was given an exemption. I was 71st on the points list, but a lot of guys couldn't play for various reasons, so I was selected to receive an exemption. My first match is Monday against a young kid from USC. I will do my best to represent my "nearly senior" brethren (I'm 49), and give him a good match. Course is Coto de Caza, north course. Definitely does not suit my game! LOL

I moved from the suburbs of Philadelphia to Dove Canyon in June, 1996 when I was 14. My dad got a family membership at Coto and that summer was when I really started playing golf. I went to high school right there at Rancho Santa Margarita Catholic High School. Carson Palmer was the quarterback for the first 2 years I was there. Coto North is always the example I use to illustrate how much drivers, golf balls, and their combined effect have changed the game. The North played about 7100 from the back tees when I was there. Almost no one played those tees. The club was filled with excellent high school and Division 1 players, too. That was a monster golf course back then. Now, players don't even really bat an eye until the course gets over about 7400 or 7500 yards. I'm not saying it's good or bad but the game has definitely gone through radical changes at the elite amateur and professional level in the last 20 years.

Anyway, that place was amazing in the late 90s and early 2000s. I was so lucky to be able to learn the game there and play against the people I did early in my competitive golf life. I hope it's still at least close to as pure as it was in those days and I hope you go out and blow the doors off the kid. I always thought 14 was a great hole. Good luck and play well!

Chris

I got the call a week ago that I was exempt into the Southern California Golf Association Match Play Championship. 32 players form SoCal, with 22 chosen from the 2-year points list, and 10 qualifiers. I was all set to attempt to qualify, but I received a call that I was given an exemption. I was 71st on the points list, but a lot of guys couldn't play for various reasons, so I was selected to receive an exemption. My first match is Monday against a young kid from USC. I will do my best to represent my "nearly senior" brethren (I'm 49), and give him a good match. Course is Coto de Caza, north course. Definitely does not suit my game! LOL

I moved from the suburbs of Philadelphia to Dove Canyon in June, 1996 when I was 14. My dad got a family membership at Coto and that summer was when I really started playing golf. I went to high school right there at Rancho Santa Margarita Catholic High School. Carson Palmer was the quarterback for the first 2 years I was there. Coto North is always the example I use to illustrate how much drivers, golf balls, and their combined effect have changed the game. The North played about 7100 from the back tees when I was there. Almost no one played those tees. The club was filled with excellent high school and Division 1 players, too. That was a monster golf course back then. Now, players don't even really bat an eye until the course gets over about 7400 or 7500 yards. I'm not saying it's good or bad but the game has definitely gone through radical changes at the elite amateur and professional level in the last 20 years.

Anyway, that place was amazing in the late 90s and early 2000s. I was so lucky to be able to learn the game there and play against the people I did early in my competitive golf life. I hope it's still at least close to as pure as it was in those days and I hope you go out and blow the doors off the kid. I always thought 14 was a great hole. Good luck and play well!

Chris

A buddy played a practice round the other day. Said the fairways were, "the best I've ever played."

Good luck on Monday Obee :)

[b]TaylorMade M1 9.5º Fujikura Pro XLR8 Stiff
Titleist 915Fd 15* GD p9003x
Titleist 913Hd 18º D+ 90Hy X flex
Titleist T-mb 4-9 DG S400 2º flat
Titleist SM6 46.08 & 50.10 F-Grind DG S400 2º flat
Titleist Vokey V-grind 54.10 & 58.10 DG Hi-Rev Wedge+ 2º flat
Titleist Cameron & Crown Golo5
Current HDCP 5.9 (as of 11/2016)[/b]
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/902791-conrad283s-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Tell Mickelson stories ... Solid distraction and wow factor

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

good luck!

i think if matchplay gamesmansphip works at all it would only be on people who are new to it. the first one i heard in my first team event was give all short putts up to 2 and a half feet early on. then when there's finally one with some pressure on it make him putt...

One of the oldest tricks in the book. To make it even more effective, turn your back and walk away. Your opponent will be confused, sometimes looking up to see if you are giving him the putt. I have actually seen a guy from my team pick up a ball and lose the hole in those circumstances which cost us the pennant final. He looked up as he reached down, looked the guy straight in the eye, and picked up before being given the putt. It was only a two foot putt, and he was experienced. Pressure does strange things to people.

Did your teammate have reason to believe that his FC did indeed concede the putt?

Gamesmanship is one thing, being a dick another.

If your teammate truly believed that his FC had conceded the putt, either by words, body language or whatever, or he "reasonably" lead your teammate to believe that the putt was good, then under Rule 1-4(R&A), your teammate was allowed to replace his ball as close as possible and putt out without penalty.

If he just assumed that it was conceded and it was not, then yea, he would incur a one stroke penalty for lifting without marking(Rule 20-1), which may in fact have been the decisive stroke in his opponent winning the hole, however it is not an automatic loss of hole.

I found that a lot of guys, and I'm talkin Players, do not have a comprehensive understanding of Match Play rules, which only hurts them.

Have a great week Bro :)

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

good luck!

i think if matchplay gamesmansphip works at all it would only be on people who are new to it. the first one i heard in my first team event was give all short putts up to 2 and a half feet early on. then when there's finally one with some pressure on it make him putt...

One of the oldest tricks in the book. To make it even more effective, turn your back and walk away. Your opponent will be confused, sometimes looking up to see if you are giving him the putt. I have actually seen a guy from my team pick up a ball and lose the hole in those circumstances which cost us the pennant final. He looked up as he reached down, looked the guy straight in the eye, and picked up before being given the putt. It was only a two foot putt, and he was experienced. Pressure does strange things to people.

Did your teammate have reason to believe that his FC did indeed concede the putt?

If your teammate truly believed that his FC had conceded the putt, either by words, body language or whatever, or he "reasonably" lead your teammate to believe that the putt was good, then under Rule 1-4(R&A), your teammate was allowed to replace his ball as close as possible and putt out without penalty.

If he just assumed that it was conceded and it was not, then yea, he would incur a one stroke penalty for lifting without marking(Rule 20-1), which may in fact have been the decisive stroke in his opponent winning the hole, however it is not an automatic loss of hole.

I found that a lot of guys, and I'm talkin Players, do not have a comprehensive understanding of Match Play rules, which only hurts them.

My Best,

RP

Good call, Richard - Allison Lee certainly understands this principle now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma5LUsx-prc

However, IMO, there needs to be more than just the belief within the player's mind because it should be justifiable to a third party. I don't believe any committee would uphold the application of equity (1-4) without the facts and circumstances containing an actual verbal indication of concession.

Personally, I will continue with my normal PSR until I hear the opponent say "good" or some derivative in order to avoid any misinterpretation. It's even better if they say it with a bit of agitation in their voice, like *Geez didn't ya hear me the first time?!" :derisive:

If you come prepared to hole 'em all then you avoid the possibility of getting upset at your opponent for NOT giving you even the shortest of putts - they are under no obligation to do so, after all!

good luck!

My Best,

RP

Good call, Richard - Allison Lee certainly understands this principle now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma5LUsx-prc

However, IMO, there needs to be more than just the belief within the player's mind because it should be justifiable to a third party. I don't believe any committee would uphold the application of equity (1-4) without the facts and circumstances containing an actual verbal indication of concession.

Personally, I will continue with my normal PSR until I hear the opponent say "good" or some derivative in order to avoid any misinterpretation. It's even better if they say it with a bit of agitation in their voice, like *Geez didn't ya hear me the first time?!" :derisive:

If you come prepared to hole 'em all then you avoid the possibility of getting upset at your opponent for NOT giving you even the shortest of putts - they are under no obligation to do so, after all!

Hey Smeech, I hope all's well and you're stripin it :)

I couldn't agree more regarding Playin it down and in. I've Played 150+ MP tourney rounds and I have never had a single problem and only a few times where a FC nodded, saying nothing, and I simply asked, "Should I take it away?" Both times they said yes.

My Teacher instructed me to say "Take it away" in a firm, clear manner while looking at my FC. Though its never happened to me, and this scenario was used in a rule's seminar that I attended, where a FC told an opponent "good putt" and the individual took it to mean, "that putt is good," at which time Rule 1-4 would come into Play.

I've always said those three words when conceding a putt and if there is any doubt in my mind I would ask you, "Should I take it away?

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Obee won his first match! Thatta boy! Now he is playing a buddy of mine Robby Foster in the round of 16! He will have fun. Robby is sneaky good, not long, not flashy, but gets it in the hole. Have fun!

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]WITB[/b][/font][/size]
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size=3]TBD[/size][/font]

Wow, we had a great match today. More later.... :-)

Though this is not an instruction thread, if any newbies to MP are perusing it and you have a MP tourney approaching, DO NOT EVER, I repeat EVER, putt out a ball that was conceded to you.

Thank your FC, pick your ball up and pocket it or whatever it is that you do with it prior to your next shot.

If pace of play allows it and ya wanna run a few for whatever reason after completion of the hole, fine. However DO NOT drop and putt from where the conceded putt lay.

I gave you that putt and in my mind AND yours, you would have made it.

Nuff said :)

All the Best,

RP

Though this is not an instruction thread, if any newbies to MP are perusing it and you have a MP tourney approaching, DO NOT EVER, I repeat EVER, putt out a ball that was conceded to you.

Thank your FC, pick your ball up and pocket it or whatever it is that you do with it prior to your next shot.

If pace of play allows it and ya wanna run a few for whatever reason after completion of the hole, fine. However DO NOT drop and putt from where the conceded putt lay.

All the Best,

RP

Curious, is this an unwritten rule of etiquette/class (i.e. respect for opponent & the game) or more for the purpose of maintaining personal focus/sanity (i.e. respect for your own good juju)? I see it from both sides but wondering if you have another angle or one of these over the other.

Also, where's the cool story behind the rule? Cryptic is not your style RPJ. :taunt:

All the Best,

RP

Curious, is this an unwritten rule of etiquette/class (i.e. respect for opponent & the game) or more for the purpose of maintaining personal focus/sanity (i.e. respect for your own good juju)? I see it from both sides but wondering if you have another angle or one of these over the other.

Also, where's the cool story behind the rule? Cryptic is not your style RPJ. :taunt:

HaHa, Ironically, Maddie gets pissed at me because she says that I am too cryptic at times with people. Regarding etiquette, no, that never entered into my thoughts.

All of a Player's thoughts, focus and action's should be on Playing their best and winning the match. I do, say or think nothing that does not advance me towards that goal. Maddie has said my focus is myopic however, I am not good enough to approach the game or a tourney any other way. My actual thoughts when I hit the green are that I am going to putt out. Oh I know, A lot of guys will say the same thing though they are full of s***, because if they have 5-6" putt left, and I do not give it to them(99%+ of the time I would. There are only two individuals that I have met/Played against that I made putt every single ball out and they did the same with me, haha), they are gonna be pissed. Why? Because they expected the concession.

I will not even look to you as some do with that "is it good" look. I will approach my ball, mark in hand and basically you will have to say "That's good" or whatever you say and I will then say thank you and pocket my ball.

When I give you a putt, I fully expect that you would make that putt, and I would hope and expect that you have the same thought. Now if you step in and swat/putt it and miss, while it has no effect on your score or the match(one cannot refuse a consession or screw it up by "putting out." I know that you know this however I Played a +1.5 from Oakmont in the round of 32 in 2012 who did not. As he was 17yo, I chalked it up to youthful idiocy when he ever so politely replied to my "take it away" with "Thank you but I decline," LMAO. I swear to God. I looked to his caddie, his father, and advised him to speak to his son, lmao), it can do nothing for your psyche to miss a "gimme" and it most certainly will give me pause on future holes.

Even when I am given a putt, I will still, in an inconspicuous manner, visualize my stroke had I putted out, along with the putt falling into the cup.

Tourney golf is at least 95% mental, because everyone Plantin the tee can hit the ball, and especially in MP, and you just do not want even a single awkward moment such as stepping in after a concession and missing, even if it's after completion of the hole.

Plus, why introduce a potentially negative variable into an already challenging situation?

Visualize the stroke and make, pick it up and focus on the next shot, versus the thoughts that would accompany a post concession miss.

Even if someone tells me that it would have no effect on them, well, when they then looked over to me and I quipped, "boy, the only thing worse than you missin that putt was me givin it to you," which is exactly what I said to a +1 from Fox Chapel GC in the 2010 Inter-Club MP. It must have effected him because he missed a 2 1/2'er for bird and about a 40"er for par later and I definitely would have given him both. What I noticed on the post-concession miss, well, aside that he missed was the inordinate amount of time that he stood over a 24" putt. He was tight as a drum up close much more so than his approach putts.

So, in short Screecher, yea, it's the Ju-Ju :)

Have a nice day Bro :)

My Best,

RP

Obee won his first match! Thatta boy! Now he is playing a buddy of mine Robby Foster in the round of 16! He will have fun. Robby is sneaky good, not long, not flashy, but gets it in the hole. Have fun!

Robby played really solid golf today and beat me 3 and 2. In the middle of the match I under-clubbed 3 times to front-pin, uphill holes, and it cost me the match.

Had a blast!

Robby played really solid golf today and beat me 3 and 2. In the middle of the match I under-clubbed 3 times to front-pin, uphill holes, and it cost me the match.

Had a blast!

Had a blast!

Great Job Bro!!!

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend,

Richard

Had a blast!

Hey, you played, won a match over some young, haired flatbelly (probably uses mousse), lost a close one, great job. All I did was dig a post hole and set a crosstie.

Had a blast!

Hey, you played, won a match over some young, haired flatbelly (probably uses mousse), lost a close one, great job. All I did was dig a post hole and set a crosstie.

80's = mousse

90's = gel

00's = paste

Get it together man! :taunt:

Obee - great job and hopefully you have nothing but positive takeaways from the experience.

Even when I am given a putt, I will still, in an inconspicuous manner, visualize my stroke had I putted out, along with the putt falling into the cup.

I really like this advice Richard - never heard that one before

Fairways & Greens, Pin & Cups, Tight Lines, Live Long and Prosper

2B