One handed 8 foot gimme

Played a round yesterday with a guy that never 3 putted. Not because he was a good putter just because every 2nd putt was a gimme no matter how far away he was.

Ever see the guys that blow it 6+ feet past the hole and quickly walk up to it, one hand, backhand tap it back toward the hole as if it were a gim? They never went in but I believe he took the approach of "if I'm not really trying I shouldn't be penalized if I miss it." What's the point?!? If you want the gim pick it up! I'm thinking, Don't make us all wait while you stick handle this thing around the pin. Especially when you aren't counting them.

Any putt that was rimmed counted. Any OB tee shot somehow was the courses fault followed by a free reload. He finished with 78. I counted no less than 95. Funny thing was he made some nice shots. Just refused to have a poor score on any hole.

Not to mention when he missed his 15 footers he looked up to the sky in disbelief as if God had cursed him with bad luck even though it never really had a chance.

Because the breaches were so blatantly obvious, It became really awkward.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as there is no side bets or game or anything on the line, why would it become awkward? The actual time it takes up is negligible - and certainly less time than if they went through their whole pre-shot routine and actually finished out the hole in a legitimate manner.

If he's posting the round for handicaps he's only hurting himself (well, or any partner he might have - but it's always important to choose your partners wisely). If he's not maintaining a handicap, why care at all?

Tell him I'll play him for money lol let's go

Me and my wife talked about that on the way home from the round...what if there would've been some gambling going on. How would he take it when I called him on a breach 3 times each hole. He'd lose his mind. Lol.

Rarely am I partnered with someone who follows each rule to a t. Whether it be generous drops, generous gimme's or mulligans.

Don't know if that says something about the rules or the players! Lol

As long as there is no side bets or game or anything on the line, why would it become awkward? The actual time it takes up is negligible - and certainly less time than if they went through their whole pre-shot routine and actually finished out the hole in a legitimate manner.

If he's posting the round for handicaps he's only hurting himself (well, or any partner he might have - but it's always important to choose your partners wisely). If he's not maintaining a handicap, why care at all?

It's awkward because he must know he's doing things wrong. I'm sure he doesn't think I'm not seeing this lol.

If I'm playing chess and I go to the washroom, come back and my opponents knight is replaced, would it be awkward?

It's awkward because he must know he's doing things wrong. I'm sure he doesn't think I'm not seeing this lol.

If I'm playing chess and I go to the washroom, come back and my opponents knight is replaced, would it be awkward?

Most likely he doesn't care if you see it or not.

If you were playing chess with him, it would be a specific competition between you two. Just because you happen to be playing golf with someone doesn't mean you are actually competing against them.

Most likely he doesn't care if you see it or not.

If you were playing chess with him, it would be a specific competition between you two. Just because you happen to be playing golf with someone doesn't mean you are actually competing against them.

Seems you're just wanting to debate here. You're now debating human emotion? I'll put it this way, you cut across a neighbours lawn to get to your destination. You look up and see him standing on his porch with an odd look on his face. Do you feel awkward? Let's debate this.

No, I'm certainly not just responding for the sake of debate. I was trying to understand the source of your feeling awkward and then trying to provide a perspective that might help avoid such feeling in the future. The point is that the awkwardness comes from you and your judging his game by your standards. That such actions would cause awkwardness is far from common or (IMO) reasonable.

Reminds me of a story a (now deceased) golf buddy told me. He was invited to a fairly high end member-guest thing as the guest. I think there were some non-trivial prizes/awards to the top finishers (and if not my buddy was just super competitive anyway). I asked him how it went and he was just fuming saying that "Tom couldn't make a 2 foot putt to save his life". I just casually asked "was he that bad a putter?" and the answer was "NO! He hadn't putted a 2 foot putt in five years".

dave

If I'm not keeping score and just out to have fun, I might do exactly what the gimme guy did. I'm not playing a match against you, we're playing golf together.

Some folks get bothered when others stick handle short putts while others get bothered when folks putt out 6 inchers. Maybe we can all accept that others find enjoyment on the golf course in different ways. While some treat posted handicap rounds the same as a strict tournament; others treat posted handicap rounds quite casually.

Some folks get bothered when others stick handle short putts while others get bothered when folks putt out 6 inchers.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't know how many "slow play" comments I've seen about insisting on putting everything out, but then others get upset if you call it good because it's not following the rules.

It's like the old George Carlin bit about drivers. Everyone on the road driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster is a maniac.

Sto Pro Veritate

If I'm not keeping score and just out to have fun, I might do exactly what the gimme guy did. I'm not playing a match against you, we're playing golf together.

Some folks get bothered when others stick handle short putts while others get bothered when folks putt out 6 inchers. Maybe we can all accept that others find enjoyment on the golf course in different ways. While some treat posted handicap rounds the same as a strict tournament; others treat posted handicap rounds quite casually.

When someone goes OB twice and 2 putts then says he had a bogie that's not practice. Unless your practicing cheating!

Your first sentence was: "if I'm not keeping score..."

He was keeping score. As I stated, he claimed he shot a 78.

When I practice or want to have fun, I don't hit 100 and say I hit 78. Do you?

When someone goes OB twice and 2 putts then says he had a bogie that's not practice. Unless your practicing cheating!

This thread is quite a juxtaposition to your "I won't let anyone walk back to the tee and re-hit" thread.

This thread is quite a juxtaposition to your "I won't let anyone walk back to the tee and re-hit" thread.

You're welcome to not post. Matter of fact you aren't really offering anything to the thread.

You're welcome to not post. Matter of fact you aren't really offering anything to the thread.

In this thread, you are bothered the guy claimed to shoot a 78.

In the other thread, you didn't believe those on this golfwrx who claim to play by the rules.

You can't have it both ways. If someone doesn't play by all the rules, the score is not legitimate.

For what it's worth, I'm all for letting folks play however they want.

In the other thread, you didn't believe those on this golfwrx who claim to play by the rules.

You can't have it both ways. If someone doesn't play by all the rules, the score is not legitimate.

I can't have it both ways? What are you saying? I'm not sure you even know.

What on earth does one have to do with the other and what connection do they have?!?!

I have no problem with him, you or anyone cheating. This post was an observation of a ridiculous golfer. Please, by all means, ignore my posts. I grow tired of trying to make sense of you.

Btw, when I play with cheaters daily it reaffirms that most golfers do cheat and I refuse to believe that it's anomalous that all WRX'ers are by the book. Perhaps that's my problem not yours. Can I have this opinion? Do you approve?

If we're not playing for money, and as long as the guy is not claiming honors on the tee, he can claim he shot whatever he wants. In my expanded circle of golf friends we know who shoots what he claims to shoot and who exaggerates their abilities. We know who has a decent game but whose math skills need a little work.

I had an incident at my old club years ago with a similar guy that you mention. I played everything down while he was rolling the ball, tossing it down when he lost his ball, reteeing and forgetting he hit one OB, taking 6 foot gimmes, etc. What bothered me was he was jumping on the tee to claim honors (This was 30 years ago when we played honors much more commonly than today) and he was chirping to me and giving me little tips and pointers like he was a better player than me. Basically, the guy was a jerk and it's rare I don't like people I play golf with but this guy got on my last nerve. It was a straw on the camel's back and I quit the club soon afterwards. (The round was in early December and I didn't renew for the next year).

So, yeah, I can understand your frustration but now that I'm older and arguably wiser, I'd be more direct and say something snarky about his scores, you know, if he was all chest pumping and stuff.

What on earth does one have to do with the other and what connection do they have?!?!

I have no problem with him, you or anyone cheating. This post was an observation of a ridiculous golfer. Please, by all means, ignore my posts. I grow tired of trying to make sense of you.

Btw, when I play with cheaters daily it reaffirms that most golfers do cheat and I refuse to believe that it's anomalous that all WRX'ers are by the book. Perhaps that's my problem not yours. Can I have this opinion? Do you approve?

Raises hand. I'm not by the book. I'll take a gimme and post the round. I'll tap in with the flag in the hole and not take a penalty and post the round. I'll have 15 clubs in my bag and post the round with no penalty.

Raises hand. I'm not by the book. I'll take a gimme and post the round. I'll tap in with the flag in the hole and not take a penalty and post the round. I'll have 15 clubs in my bag and post the round with no penalty.

And there's nothing wrong with that. When playing alone I don't pull flag from 30 feet away. I'll pick up gimme putts that are actually gimme's. (Not 8 footers.) I'd move a ball out of a divot on fairway. I have an extra club in my bag I don't use. And I understand it's fun to golf the "what if" round, so some use mulligans. But don't what if 30 strokes. To me thats not fun it's delusion. Again it's not about taking the fun out of the game. You can still have fun and play by a semblance of the rules.

I think many are misunderstanding the thread. I'm not upset with the guy. But to call out a 78 at the end of the round is a mockery of the game.

when I play with cheaters daily it reaffirms that most golfers do cheat and I refuse to believe that it's anomalous that all WRX'ers are by the book. Perhaps that's my problem not yours. Can I have this opinion? Do you approve?

I believe most golfers don't play by all the rules. Not only do I approve, I agree. :)

In the other thread, I was under the impression that you believe that ALL golfers cheat. You seemed to be belittling those who attempt to play by the rules. If that wasn't your intention, my apologies.

when I play with cheaters daily it reaffirms that most golfers do cheat and I refuse to believe that it's anomalous that all WRX'ers are by the book. Perhaps that's my problem not yours. Can I have this opinion? Do you approve?

I believe most golfers don't play by all the rules. Not only do I approve, I agree. :)

In the other thread, I was under the impression that you believe that ALL golfers cheat. You seemed to be belittling those who attempt to play by the rules. If that wasn't your intention, my apologies.

I'd find it very admirable to play with someone who was 100% by the book. Haven't found it yet. And I admit to being guilty of it myself. I've not walked back to the tee when not finding a ball. I've played a new clean ball upon arriving at green etc.

I've not walked back to the tee when not finding a ball.

If I lose a ball and haven't hit a provisional, I put an 'X' on the scorecard. Fortunately, that situation doesn't happen very often.

If I was on the cusp of a personal-best round, I most certainly would ride back. If someone was on the tee, I would apologize profusely. This situation has not arisen for me.

Lot's of "if's" in this post. :)

I agree with the OP. I don't really care how other's play, but if there's any bit of competition between the two of you, which to me, there almost always is.. I mean who doesn't want to play better than the guys their golfing with, even if it's just good nature-ed fun, it's bothersome that they will post a score that's not even remotely relevant. Play how you want when it's not for money or a tournament, but honestly, don't say you beat someone else in the club house when you didn't keep an even remotely proper score. I've golfed with guys that just won't count their drops and things of that nature.

I golfed against a guy in league that thought his esc was all he could take on a give hole. " I can only take a double, so write me down for 6" when he got a 9..

Played a round yesterday with a guy that never 3 putted. Not because he was a good putter just because every 2nd putt was a gimme no matter how far away he was.

Ever see the guys that blow it 6+ feet past the hole and quickly walk up to it, one hand, backhand tap it back toward the hole as if it were a gim? They never went in but I believe he took the approach of "if I'm not really trying I shouldn't be penalized if I miss it." What's the point?!? If you want the gim pick it up! I'm thinking, Don't make us all wait while you stick handle this thing around the pin. Especially when you aren't counting them.

Any putt that was rimmed counted. Any OB tee shot somehow was the courses fault followed by a free reload. He finished with 78. I counted no less than 95. Funny thing was he made some nice shots. Just refused to have a poor score on any hole.

Not to mention when he missed his 15 footers he looked up to the sky in disbelief as if God had cursed him with bad luck even though it never really had a chance.

Because the breaches were so blatantly obvious, It became really awkward.

Admittedly I read through this thread quickly, so I may have missed the answer to my questions.

Exactly why did it become really awkward for you?

Why did it matter to you what the guy really shot?

I don't need to see the final tallies at the end of the day to know if I was playing better or worse than any of my playing partners. But then, to be honest I don't care. I often pair up with strangers and each round begins with the same hope, that we all play well, move around at a decent pace and they're decent folks with whom to spend 4 hours.