Team Scotty or Bettinardi

travis.h

I really enjoy both my Scotty TEI3 Newport 2 Longneck and my Bettinardi Xcelerator. I have had more fun modifying them than anything - both have great millwork. It's apples and oranges to compare the big block Xcelerator to the blade Newport.

The biggest difference with both is actually grip (SuperStroke changes everything). I took the head off of my Xcelerator (big bee size) and had it dark anodized, then paint-filled it purple and black - gave me something to do while watching The Masters on the app from cold Indiana and gave me a little extra affection for my putter when I bring it to the green.

The 2 most important finds for me with each putter is that even great putters fail when you don't have the right shaft length, and grip (again, SuperStroke) can play a huge role in making a well-engineered head find the ball in the right place and roll it well every time.

20140720_172325.jpg

caa5d2d19a01d1e1f4f5ca2fcce4fdb4.jpg

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scotty all the way! Betti's aren't all that popular or available up where I am, I have only seen a couple in a few stores. While they hit fine in the store, having 5 different scotty's gives you options. 2 Newports, Red X, California Coronado, California Monterrey. The Gallery stuff is nice but way out of my price range!

Anything pre-2012: Scotty Cameron. I have a 2015 Studio Stock 2 for when I want less toe hang and a blade look. I hate mallet putters so it is literally the best of both worlds. Not sure why more people dont use the SS2.

TODAY if you want milled carbon steel, Betti is the cheapest thing at a golf shop you can get to a tour quality putter IMO.

And for the life of me I can understand why someone would buy a new Scotty, pay $400 for an insert. You arent buying a milled putter, you're buying a 1x3 inch piece of milled steel taped to a head. I dont get the logic, but there is a reason older Scotty's go for so much...

Right now I'm playing a 2003 Studio Stainless Newport 2... feels miles better than any recent Scotty out there.

I currently own several of each and refuse to be placed into one camp or another. They both offer great products very similar to Cadillac vs. Lincoln. Either choice you make is a winner and you will be rolling in style.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

To be honest. I like'em both. Have had multiples of both as well. Here's a couple of pics. The top is what I game now. Both Scotty and Robert are experts in their craft. The thing I like about Scotty right now is all the accessories (putting disks, shirts, headcovers, etc.) coming from the Encintas and Tokyo galleries.

Scotty Cameron Select SB MOTO

I24eyYh.jpg

yjUrZKy.jpg

36xZTY3.jpg

Betti HMM DASS

CPPWITB201320_zpsfc12894a.jpg

CPPWITB201319_zpsfc7e0759.jpg

CPPWITB201318_zps20ede189.jpg

Betti BB8 DASS

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

Betti HMM DASS

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

I love my Bettinardi QB6. Love the way it looks and feels. I also have an Inovai 3.0 and a Studio Stock 6. I have tried to go the Scotty route but find myself going back to my Betti's every time. I dont knock the Cameron loyalist. In the end its what you are comfortable with. For me that is Bettinardi.

In My Bag
TM Stealth 10.5* PX T1100 6.5 75g
TM Stealth 3W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g 

TM Stealth 5W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon Modus Hybrid shaft 95X

2021 TM P790 5-PW Modus TT DG Tour issue 100X
TM High Toe 50, 54 and 58

Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB-X Yellow
#insideTMAG 2013

Betti.

never rolled a scotty and don't have any plans to. i just don't like the way they do business.

both are good though....Betti makes nice stuff and scotty has nice stuff made for him.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

Recent convert to Team Bettinardi after wandering around the market for about 5-6 years with no dedication to either. Used a Cameron before that for most of my playing career.

Truth betold, after the Pro Platinum and original Studio Design lines, I just feel like Scotty's have lost their craftsmanship and luster. It used to mean something to own a Scotty OTR model. Not any more. Now, if you don't have a Circle T model, you basically have a mass produced, low craftsmanship, overpriced putter. I give a slight bit of credit to the 2016 line for upping their craftsmanship game, but I still believe my previous statement.

Meanwhile, Bettinardi has been producing high quality and high craftsmanship putters at every stop of his career. His pricing is much more reasonable and provides a much greater bang for your buck. Additionally, the Tour Stock line is a much more attainable product than Circle T's are are not as ridiculously priced. To go along with that, each Tour Stock putter has a head cover that is made to match specifically for that putter (as opposed to Scotty's Circle T covers, which have fewer options that are more mass produced and less putter specific).

These are my thoughts. Take them for what they are worth. Team Bettinardi ALL THE WAY!

Truth betold, after the Pro Platinum and original Studio Design lines, I just feel like Scotty's have lost their craftsmanship and luster. It used to mean something to own a Scotty OTR model. Not any more. Now, if you don't have a Circle T model, you basically have a mass produced, low craftsmanship, overpriced putter. I give a slight bit of credit to the 2016 line for upping their craftsmanship game, but I still believe my previous statement.

I certainly agree with the first line here, but the bolded portion is a bit of a stretch. That Cameron's OTR offerings are mass produced is certainly a matter of fact, however craftsmanship (by definition) is subjective. While I don't fancy the direction SC has gone aesthetically, I would say without batting an eye that the quality of the product is still top notch.

Also, I would argue that they are properly priced because the market is the true barometer for this judgment. Cameron's OTR's not only fly off the shelves at retail, but they hold value surprisingly well upon resale and far better than any other large-market manufacturer.

FWIW, I would consider myself far from an SC apologist, but as you said, these are my thoughts - take them for what they are worth. :hi:

Betti for me. Love the Carbon steel. Currently gaming a Kuchar Model 1 that I torched and paint filled myself to give it some character. I get a lot of comments on how good it looks.

Also, all of the Scotties I've tried have felt light in my hands and the stainless steel/aluminum look kinda cheap/gimmicky IMO

Team whatever fits my eye during playing.. sometimes the Scotty is in for months like it has been, sometimes seemore, odyssey, Betti, Ping, golf brand elitist/loyalists are dumb. Play what works. don't be that guy....

Taylormade Aeroburner TP 9.5 Fujikura 8.3 Tour Spec X
Adams Super LSP Aldila VS Proto 95X
Nike VR PC 3 iron Project X 7.0
Taylormade Rac MB Tour Issue X-100 Ryder Cup 4-9
Vokey Sm6 46* Project X 7.0
Fourteen Le-10 52, 56, S400
Vokey Sm5 59* M Grind Tour Issue S400
Never Compromise Voodoo 42.25 "Garage build Armlock"
Volvik S3 Orange / Vivid Red Golf Balls / Volvik Vibe Yellow

I want to like Bettinardi so bad because they are in my backyard here in Chicago. I've owned 2 and liked them, but for whatever reason it just seems like they are riding Scotty's coat tails and copy everything from Cameron. The tour stock vs. tour only, the headcovers seem like cheaper knockoffs of the Cameron ones.

They should stick to making great putters and stop chasing Scotty at the accessories game because he is blowing them out of the water. Same goes for all of the other milled putter companies that try to replicate the same model.

I want to like Bettinardi so bad because they are in my backyard here in Chicago. I've owned 2 and liked them, but for whatever reason it just seems like they are riding Scotty's coat tails and copy everything from Cameron.

the irony here is thick.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

When I first saw the thread heading I chuckled as Bettinardi doesn't even cross my mind when thinking of the best putters. Before I get flamed, yes, I've tried one and yes, I have owned one. However, when I think in terms of "Scotty" vs. something, the first one that popped into my head was Byron Morgan. So, if you are asking strictly Scotty v. Bettinardi, it's Scotty EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK for me. I just hate the feel of Bettinardi's and the honeycomb milling just doesn't do it for me.

IG Handle: @tarheelnation3

What's in the bag:

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond w/ Ventus Velocore Blue 6s

Fairway Wood: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 3 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Taylormade Stealth+ 5 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Irons: Srixon ZX7/ZX5 Mk II w/ Nippon Modus 115 LE Black Shafts

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Raw 50/55/60 w/ Nippon Modus 120

Putters: Scotty Cameron 009 Aloha (and many others)

To be honest. I like'em both. Have had multiples of both as well. Here's a couple of pics. The top is what I game now. Both Scotty and Robert are experts in their craft. The thing I like about Scotty right now is all the accessories (putting disks, shirts, headcovers, etc.) coming from the Encintas and Tokyo galleries.

Scotty Cameron Select SB MOTO

I24eyYh.jpg

yjUrZKy.jpg

36xZTY3.jpg

Betti HMM DASS

CPPWITB201320_zpsfc12894a.jpg

CPPWITB201319_zpsfc7e0759.jpg

CPPWITB201318_zps20ede189.jpg

Betti BB8 DASS

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

Betti HMM DASS

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

Put a black shaft in the SC, will look sick

Taylormade Sim 2 Graphite design AD GP 6
Titleist TSI3 GD AD DI 7
Titleist 716 CB 3-9 Dynamic gold Tour issue S400
Titleist SM7 Vokey 46.50.54.60 DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron T22 fastback Murdered out

IG _Flagrant

When I first saw the thread heading I chuckled as Bettinardi doesn't even cross my mind when thinking of the best putters. Before I get flamed, yes, I've tried one and yes, I have owned one. However, when I think in terms of "Scotty" vs. something, the first one that popped into my head was Byron Morgan. So, if you are asking strictly Scotty v. Bettinardi, it's Scotty EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK for me. I just hate the feel of Bettinardi's and the honeycomb milling just doesn't do it for me.

Betti does offer more than the honeycomb face.

Their flymill face is just like the standard scotty face.

If you're talking OTR, it's very limited. But if you're talking about Tour Department, which most scotty guys are into...then you have your choice and can match the feel to scotty whether it's carbon or SS.

I just got my first putter fitting at Golfsmith and bought a 35" stock Scotty Futura X5R. I immediately put a SuperStroke grip on it. I'm using a modified claw (left hand low).

Omigosh I'm loving this thing. My distance control is better than I remember it ever being. I feel like I'm rolling the ball rather than striking it.

Betti might be great but right now I'm totally satisfied with the Scotty.

I own 3 Camerons, and used to own a Queen Bee 6 as well. Probably neither, both are over hyped and too "commercialized", BB probably less so, but none the less with Byron, Black Lab, Slighter, TP Mills, Mann, Kingston, Strokes Gained, LaJosi, and other smaller guys out why would you get a SC or BB???? 009 are awesome, but the price tag isnt. I stopped liking Camerons after the Studio Stainless line.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)