2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Tiger to Withdraw from Safeway

acy274

The fear of failure is a killer. If he says that his game is not up to scratch, it never will be unless he takes it to the course. When he does "feel" ready, he may go out and shoot a 76 on the first day...what then?...got to confront your demons head on and not expect them to walk away, it won't happen.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Tiger,

You are doing the right thing and skipping Safeway. Come back when you are ready to win. Do not tee it up until you can win and perform at the highest level. You should not have announced playing in Safeway or Turkey due to appearance money, if it was 50/50 all along. But you have the right to do what is right for you and do not listen to the naysayers. You still move the needle and have impacted golf and will continue to impact golf like nobody have and never will. See you at Augusta!!

When/if he plays again, he smokes the field and wins majors

May I ask what makes you feel that way?

Honestly, at what point in his life do you feel he isn't going to do that?

That's what I was talking about earlier. If Tiger gets to be 46 years old and still can't enter and make the cut in a weak-field Tour event will the hardcore fans none the less be waiting for that big comeback? How about when he's 50? When does reality start to dawn?

Yes, that's fascinating, isn't it?

And I don't even mean the people who think that he can still compete. I think that's possible, he could also win here and there. And of course, if you are fan, you hope.

But hoping for something to happen is not the same thing as thinking that something will happen. So, the fans who are certain that he will get back to dominating and being his old self again... I certainly hope that there are no air traffic controllers or surgeons or pilots among them. I really would not want my life in the hands of somebody with such a strange perception of reality.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

There's no way Tiger will know how he'll play until after the fact.

I assume he realizes he'll be vulnerable on the first tee whenever he returns. That just natural for someone that hasn't played in what is now 14 months, and counting.

Sure he does.

These guys all know what it takes to be competitive on the PGA Tour. Especially a guy who has won it all like Tiger has.

If he's healthy, the only reason for Tiger right now to NOT play is because he knows he can't hack it on Tour anymore. There's really no other reasoning. If he's not healthy, he knows that he can't handle the rigors of PGA Tournament golf.

At this point, he just doesnt want to face the reality that he's not good enough anymore. It kills these good pro athletes when they are not able to go out on their own terms. He'd probably kill to be able to do what Steve Stricker is doing right now, which is basically just play whenever he wants and be competitive.

That's what I was talking about earlier. If Tiger gets to be 46 years old and still can't enter and make the cut in a weak-field Tour event will the hardcore fans none the less be waiting for that big comeback? How about when he's 50? When does reality start to dawn?

And I don't even mean the people who think that he can still compete. I think that's possible, he could also win here and there. And of course, if you are fan, you hope.

But hoping for something to happen is not the same thing as thinking that something will happen. So, the fans who are certain that he will get back to dominating and being his old self again... I certainly hope that there are no air traffic controllers or surgeons or pilots among them. I really would not want my life in the hands of somebody with such a strange perception of reality.

Simple

He had a talk with himself and decided that he wouldn't play until he was ready to play well again.

You won't see him playing unless he is in good enough shape to win

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

I assume he realizes he'll be vulnerable on the first tee whenever he returns. That just natural for someone that hasn't played in what is now 14 months, and counting.

Sure he does.

These guys all know what it takes to be competitive on the PGA Tour. Especially a guy who has won it all like Tiger has.

If he's healthy, the only reason for Tiger right now to NOT play is because he knows he can't hack it on Tour anymore. There's really no other reasoning. If he's not healthy, he knows that he can't handle the rigors of PGA Tournament golf.

At this point, he just doesnt want to face the reality that he's not good enough anymore. It kills these good pro athletes when they are not able to go out on their own terms.

Then what happened between Friday and today?

My point is that after a long hiatus, even if he was puring it at home, and however confident he might be, he won't know how he'll play in his return until after the fact.

Sure he does.

At this point, he just doesnt want to face the reality that he's not good enough anymore. It kills these good pro athletes when they are not able to go out on their own terms.

My point is that after a long hiatus, even if he was puring it at home, and however confident he might be, he won't know how he'll play in his return until after the fact.

Exactly!

Nicely stated

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

What happened is that Tiger came to the realization over the weekend that he would probably embarrass himself out there.

These guys know EXACTLY what they need to be competitive in these tournaments. Every one of them. Tiger was hoping that he would find something by now showing him he would be able to do it. He hasnt. He didnt WD earlier because he didnt want to distract from things like the Ryder Cup celebration or Arnie's passing.

Hell, he could have played poorly this week with a missed cut and chalked it up to shaking off rust. The fact that he isnt even TRYING to play tells me he thinks he has no chance out there. None.

Sure he does.

At this point, he just doesnt want to face the reality that he's not good enough anymore. It kills these good pro athletes when they are not able to go out on their own terms. He'd probably kill to be able to do what Steve Stricker is doing right now, which is basically just play whenever he wants and be competitive.

Theres a bit of ground between him not playing for the reason he states and "he knows he can't hack it anymore".

He has had 2 or 3 surgeries, so there is going to ramp up time for sure. I think most thought that coming back this soon was a bit aggressive.

Theres a bit of ground between him not playing for the reason he states and "he knows he can't hack it anymore".

He has had 2 or 3 surgeries, so there is going to ramp up time for sure. I think most thought that coming back this soon was a bit aggressive.

If he's healthy, there's no reason for him not to play.

Just sayin'. Sooner or later, the excuses have to end. Its not like everyone would expect him to win first time out in over a year. He's making it sound like that if he can't get on the first page of the leaderboard come Sunday, he doesnt even want to try.

What happened is that Tiger came to the realization over the weekend that he would probably embarrass himself out there.

These guys know EXACTLY what they need to be competitive in these tournaments. Every one of them. Tiger was hoping that he would find something by now showing him he would be able to do it. He hasnt. He didnt WD earlier because he didnt want to distract from things like the Ryder Cup celebration or Arnie's passing.

Hell, he could have played poorly this week with a missed cut and chalked it up to shaking off rust. The fact that he isnt even TRYING to play tells me he thinks he has no chance out there. None.

Then why commit? He made it clear in his return announcement that he planned to return at Safeway but knew there was still work to be done.

He had an out, but chose to use it today, instead of Friday. I find that baffling.

If he's healthy, there's no reason for him not to play.

Just sayin'. Sooner or later, the excuses have to end. Its not like everyone would expect him to win first time out in over a year. He's making it sound like that if he can't get on the first page of the leaderboard come Sunday, he doesnt even want to try.

When did he use an excuse to not play, post-Wyndham '15?

Did you guys see his pic next to Patrick Rodgers?

My cousin's roommate knows a club rep who said that Rodgers is about 6'3", 240. Tiger dwarfed him in that pic.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at linebacker for the Browns this year. Was he at any training camps this spring?

If he was, I doubt he'd be putting much time into golf, which is the likely reason for withdrawing from this tourney.

Rodgers is 6' 2" and 165 lbs on PGATour.com. Nice try.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Simple

He had a talk with himself and decided that he wouldn't play until he was ready to play well again.

You won't see him playing unless he is in good enough shape to win

Returning to play when he can play well and "smoking fields and winning majors" are two totally different things...

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

It's pathetic. I said 18 months ago he had to retire properly or stay out of the limelight while he recovers for the good of the game. This season has been enjoyable because there has been little talk of Tiger, little focus and circus around his situation. Common sense would dictate taking 2016 off and coming back fresh in the New Year.

But no. Got to announce a comeback. Got to get the circus in town. Got to withdraw.

People were openly laughing at him at Chambers Bay. He is never going to dominate again. For the good of golf he's got to retire or accept he's not coming back to win.

So tiresome.

It's pathetic. I said 18 months ago he had to retire properly or stay out of the limelight while he recovers for the good of the game. This season has been enjoyable because there has been little talk of Tiger, little focus and circus around his situation. Common sense would dictate taking 2016 off and coming back fresh in the New Year.

But no. Got to announce a comeback. Got to get the circus in town. Got to withdraw.

People were openly laughing at him at Chambers Bay. He is never going to dominate again. For the good of golf he's got to retire or accept he's not coming back to win.

So tiresome.

Blame the media for the circus.

So tiresome.

All the videos on PGA Tour social media of shots he hit 15 years ago are a bit tiresome. It's an easy sell because he was so good in his prime but the fact is he's never going to be that player anymore. It's nice to see great shots from all the greats, but when it's branded like 'who is looking forward to seeing this again?' then it's misleading people. It's also putting unnecessary pressure on Tiger to reach those expectations, I do think he feels he has to come back and contend and can't face being humiliated in public again like last year when he had the chipping yips and shot in the 80s.

People are overanalyzing

Like Haney said, probably didnt feel 100% and wants to be better when he comes back

At least its not back related

That changed in three days?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna