Dave D's swing thread - Pg 39 new putter & swing update 9th April

Dave D

From those pics, it looks like the club is more in line with your torso on the follow through with less face rotation. Shoulders are less vertical too. Looks really good. Is that something you and Scotland have been working on?

That's good to hear because those are the exact things we were looking to improve, keep the club more infront and stabilise the face through body rotation. Which would in turn get rid of my vertical shoulders. Glad it's not just my eyes seeing those things! :)

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

Very happy to see this improvement in my swing. So much better. From this angle you can see a huge difference in arm position with the same shoulder tilt position.

Screenshot_20170102-095556.png

Nice changes^

My mum told me you'd been having a lot of fog back in Blighty. She wasn't wrong!

Thanks, yeah has been quite bad the last few days. Lots of bad accidents on roads sadly.

Very happy to see this improvement in my swing. So much better. From this angle you can see a huge difference in arm position with the same shoulder tilt position.

would you mind explaining the difference? apart from hands and arms a bit further on in the sequence, is that not just when the pic was taken. Pardon my ignorance but keen to understand.

would you mind explaining the difference? apart from hands and arms a bit further on in the sequence, is that not just when the pic was taken. Pardon my ignorance but keen to understand.

It is basically as simply as the arms are further on in the sequence, but before I would end up with way too much tilt at impact, from the picture on the left my shoulders would be tilted even more at impact, now my arms and hands are working much better and more infront of my body turn rather than being behind the turn and out of sync.

the amount of shoulder tilt in the left photo is about the amount you should have at impact/just after - and when my body was in that position my arms are only half way down.

hope that makes sense?

It is basically as simply as the arms are further on in the sequence, but before I would end up with way too much tilt at impact, from the picture on the left my shoulders would be tilted even more at impact, now my arms and hands are working much better and more infront of my body turn rather than being behind the turn and out of sync.

the amount of shoulder tilt in the left photo is about the amount you should have at impact/just after - and when my body was in that position my arms are only half way down.

hope that makes sense?

yes that makes sense thanks, you should coach!

hope that makes sense?

yes that makes sense thanks, you should coach!

did become an assistant out of school but wasn't for me, I'm happy to give some advice to people when they ask but really struggled with patience of people and not understanding why they couldn't do things I was saying :lol: I'm not designed to coach :D

Bogey free round

Another lifelong golf goal was achieved yesterday, my first ever bogey free round! have had quite a few level & under par rounds but never one without a bogey or worse. Shot a -4 68.

Wasn't hitting it great on the range before hand, but was just a very easy round, never in any trouble off the tee, think my worst shot was about 15 yards right of the fairway on 17 when I overdid trying to hit a cut around the corner. hit 17 greens, technically 14 but putted from fringe on 3 of them - if im putting I call it a GIR. the greens were very bobbly as most are winter time here in the UK, had two 5 footers on 10 & 12 for birdie bobble and miss when they were centre cup a foot out. also shaved the edge or lipped out on 3 (12ft), 5(10ft), 8(18ft), 10 (5ft), 12 (5ft), 14 (20ft), 18 (15ft). very encouraging signs as had the putter been hot/better greens could have been really low!

I didn't really strike it all that amazing, which makes me realise how you don't have to flush it every shot to score well. certainly feel like my ball striking is definitely improving with the changes, much much less curvature on my shots.

IMG_20170108_134154_138.jpg

Bogey free round

Another lifelong golf goal was achieved yesterday, my first ever bogey free round! have had many level & under par rounds but never one without a bogey or worse. Shot a -4 68.

Wasn't hitting it great on the range before hand, but was just a very easy round, never in any trouble off the tee, think my worst shot was about 15 yards right of the fairway on 17 when I overdid trying to hit a cut around the corner. hit 17 greens, technically 14 but putted from fringe on 3 of them - if im putting I call it a GIR. the greens were very bobbly as most are winter time here in the UK, had two 5 footers on 10 & 12 for birdie bobble and miss when they were centre cup a foot out. also shaved the edge or lipped out on 3 (12ft), 5(10ft), 8(18ft), 10 (5ft), 12 (5ft), 14 (20ft), 18 (15ft). very encouraging signs as had the putter been hot/better greens could have been really low!

I didn't really strike it all that amazing, which makes me realise how you don't have to flush it every shot to score well. certainly feel like my ball striking is definitely improving with the changes, much much less curvature on my shots.

IMG_20170108_134154_138.jpg

now that's just showing off! Happy new year!

Great round, Dave! I can't think of many better ways to start the new season. I have enjoyed following your progress on GolfWRX and Instagram, keep up the good work!

cheers.gif

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Great round, Dave! I can't think of many better ways to start the new season. I have enjoyed following your progress on GolfWRX and Instagram, keep up the good work!

cheers.gif

thanks pal, and likewise!

I had my first bogey-free round last week, too!

Unfortunately, I made two double bogeys and only one birdie :D

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Mizuno T20 60º/06º •• DG S400
Toulon Atlanta 35"

Well done!

0 dropped shots is not to be sniffed at!

After all of the changes, interesting to hear to came on a bad ball striking day! You reckon your misses are just straighter and better?

Thanks.

Well I say not great ball striking but I did have birdie putts from less than 20 feet on like 13 of the holes. Was very solid. I just didn't rip everything. But this had made me realise every shot doesn't need to be perfect.

Misses are definitely getting better.

Well played Dave!!

Although we see bogey-free rounds on the Tour frequently imo they are quite rare among the amateur ranks. Be it the less than perfect conditions (even though the course may not be as difficult), the fact that we don't play 5 days a week, or whatever.....it's VERY tough to do. The toughest part for me might be when I realize I have one "in process"! Inevitably I'll screw it up down the stretch. :) My low round is 65 and even that included a bogey or two!

Good job.

"But this had made me realise every shot doesn't need to be perfect."

The margin between "not perfect" and bad are thin though.

For example for me;

<120 shot imo;

Stiff = Perfect

<10 feet = Very Good

<20 feet = OK

On the Green = Not bad

Anything else = Bad

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

Well done Dave, bogie free certainly bodes well for the future.

p.s researched striker ball as you recommended and purchase being made

Not sure if you purchased your Tour striker ball yet, but on the Tour Striker website they have the ball on sale and if you use the code: TSNY2017 you can get another 20% off.

"But this had made me realise every shot doesn't need to be perfect."

The margin between "not perfect" and bad are thin though.

For example for me;

<120 shot imo;

Stiff = Perfect

<10 feet = Very Good

<20 feet = OK

On the Green = Not bad

Anything else = Bad

yeah and if not further out, I think I'm maybe too hard on myself? looking at tour averages I'd probably be annoyed at that distance away. maybe time to be more positive about my shots?

Dave - what heat shrink did you buy and where from? Fancy doing that on next seasons wedges!

I think it was 18mm heat shrink? whatever was recommended in the $3.96 black wedge thread on here, dunno what that is in inches, 5/8s maybe?

do it! it's very easy to do and very cheap. mine have gotten a few shaft marks on but hardly noticeable, and for the price can just redo them each season

Nothing wrong with trying to improve but perhaps you could win mentally by being more humble about your shot results.

Par is never a bad score, birdies will come so will bogies. Sometimes you will stiff it, others not. Anything that gives a look at birdie needs to be mentally marked as positive. I get that everyone wants to stick it closer than 40 feet with a wedge - but - its not going to happen every time and when it doesn't don't beat yourself up about it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about not trying to improve and just accepting this forever. But I' more talking about not beating yourself up on the course about it. don't let a bad vibe start in the first place so that it cant impact anything else in the round.

I found I started to score better, and become a better player when I realised that I'm not tiger woods I don't spend that much time on my game. I'll hit it some good and some bad shots. I enjoy the good ones and let the bad ones slide (at the time on the course) . This way zero negative thoughts creep in, and I can continue to make the most of my round.

After the round I work out what I need to work on, and go try make it better.

Everyone sees it on the course - the guys that kill their golf game by not being able to set expectations and manage feelings towards shot results.

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

Booked in for another session with Zane this coming Friday.

Have also purchased a great little tripod of amazon for only £14.99, has an adjustable clamp for different phone sizes, fits my Samsung S6, and is adjustable up to 110cm which is a good height for filming swings. Got fed up using my adjustable clamp I had before on my bag, this folds up small and has its own bag. Not sure why I haven't bought one sooner. Here's the link for those that are interested: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NNFK7HA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Course was shut at the weekend so did some putting practice on my mat.

Right to left putts https://www.instagram.com/p/BPR6aUhhLHF/?taken-by=davedunlop87

Left edge putts https://www.instagram.com/p/BPR59PjBhVu/?taken-by=davedunlop87